MattScott

Should we give out the Autumn Assault skin?

Autumn Assault reward poll  

294 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Should we give out the Autumn Assault skin to everyone who logged in?

• Yes. The event was flawed. There was no way for me to win.
    • No. Players worked hard to win. It will devalue their effort.
    • I don’t care.

Got the skin and don't care if other people who didnt won a round get it or not.

And if you are planning on making Autumn Assault an annual event the point about exclusivity is moot anyway.

Giving the Butcher skin to those that have won and the Autumn Assault skin to those that have logged in during the weeks it was running sounds like the best option really. Although I don't mind what happens either way, even if you just decide to simply hand out the Autumn Assault skin as a belated login reward compensation for the flawed Event and leave it at that. 

Edited by Frosi
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Side topic, but still: I like the fact that a lot of the people who actually got the skin by winning, don't mind it being given out to everyone. That's a pretty wholesome attitude, and not at all what I would have expected from the community. Props to those guys.

8 minutes ago, Frosi said:

Giving the Butcher skin to those that have won and the Autumn Assault skin to those that have logged in during the weeks it was running sounds like the best option really. Although I don't mind what happens either way, even if you just decide to simply hand out the Autumn Assault skin as a belated login reward compensation for the flawed Event. 

for once we agree ^^

btw game is not supose to be "hard work" - is supose to be fun so next time think more how to make better events..much love :classic_wink:

As someone who spent hours trying to get the skin I feel it's really unfair if everyone just gets it for free. Sure, the event was dogshit, but we all had to deal with it. 

• Like 2

One time winner of the event here, I don't mind if the skin is given to everyone who logged in during the weeks the event was running.
I actually helped to organize somewhat of a random, during the event rounds slowly growing group of people that designated itself to getting those who asked for help to get the skin to top score one round. Said people desperately tried to win just once at the very end of the event, and because of how seemingly greedy some good players/veterans/tryhards and/or closet cheaters behaved and since some were already trying to help out others, I did as well.
Helping out others was actually the most fun I had during the event rounds, which in itself is quite a sad statement.
Also, there was some talk in-game about winners of the event receiving 10 JMBs, were the people saying that just trolling, or...?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MattScott said:

Hi everyone,

I have already commented a couple times about the event. Many players have asked us ‘what were you thinking?’ So here is a bit of an explanation.

- Autumn Assault was based on some

existing mexhanics that we tried to polish up to make more fun.

- We had just come off developing Epidemic as a mode we let players join any time, so we thought we would do something different for November.

- We intended Autumn Assault as a fun series of GM run events where players could interact a little more directly. 

- Since we needed to fire off the event manually, we decided to publish a schedule we could stick to in advance with multiple times a day, so players would know when the events were happening.

- We came up with a skin and joker ticket amounts that we felt would make the games

worth it for players.

And then we had some significant problems:

- There was not enough testing. Period. 

- We swapped the skin at the last minute and made it account bound, so that players wouldn’t keep trying to win. GMs tried to encourage players who had already won to let others win. But the joker ticket inventive was too high. So very good players kept winning anyway.

- One of the main games had very bad bugs and had to be replaced, and there were issues overall that prevented the games from being very fun.

- We had performance issues in full districts, so we eventually moved the events to a version of Financial with lower player caps. That led to lower amounts of people who could get in at a time, so we tried running the games more often to give as many players as possible a chance to win.

- We didn’t have enough staff to run the events later in the evenings so that players with schedule conflicts would have a chance to join.

Overall, not great. Lots of lessons learned.

Going forward, I think these sorts of events are best left as one-off things we can do here and there for minor prizes. They don’t work for larger scale extended events, and I doubt we’ll do 1st place rewards like this, because there is a finite (small) amount of players who can actually win.

It has been proposed that we give out the Autumn Assault skin, which I’m not opposed to.

Tell me what you’d like to see happen.

Thanks,

Matt

People made from 1000 - 1500 joker tickets per day if they log in and play so thats around 21k - 31.5k the entire event more or less it means if you add it in the joker distribution store to buy like the future and high tech weapons skin people will be able to buy it. thats my opinion

dogshit event and dogshit handling from the administration side

• Like 1

I do not doubt for a second that this event was gone in good faith but delivered in poor implementation, But hind sight is 20/20.

Thank you Matt, I am pleased to hear the explanation of the intentions and reasons for the Event. Also it is very reassuring that lessons will and have been learnt.

I'm sure Little Orbit can draw their own conclusion about how to conduct a effective and fun GM event, and one hopes that they will do one again in the future.

There is more I could say but... it just wasn't fun and a part of me regrets trying to participate at all.

In regards to the skin, Personally the skin isn't worth the frustration and time spent writing the feedback, or trying to submit the crash reports...

I don't care for the skin, Just please don't make these mistakes with future GM events... I know you are not stupid and never intended for this Little Orbit.

...I'm just going to leave it at that, I don't want to talk about it anymore...

I could've cared less about the skin and although i was lucky enough to win it twice but, i believe those who participated should receive the skin on a character of their choice since it was far from optimized.

2 hours ago, Frosi said:

Giving the Butcher skin to those that have won and the Autumn Assault skin to those that have logged in during the weeks it was running sounds like the best option really.

I like this idea best. It balances things out. It won't make the butcher skin a lot more common considering the amount of people who won the event more than 5 times through out the weeks and wasted chances for the rest of the server. And the people who really want the Autumn Assault skin but couldn't due to performance, time etc can still get it and such events can be handled better in the future. This is as fair as it gets imo.

Besides, many of us were hyped for the Butcher Skin since this even was even talked about originally.

P.S: Also, make both the Butcher and the Autumn Assault account bound rewards!

Edited by Flaws

Give the skin to everyone (ideally those who participated) but give the winners something extra? idk, just a thought.

The skin should be given out to all participants. The event really was not about skill. It was lucked based. One unlucky spawn and you couldn't progress.

i realize that things don’t always go as planned and that the dev team can’t switch direction at a moments notice, but this whole “last minute, big changes” thing really shouldn’t be happening quite so often

that said as someone who didn’t bother with the event i don’t think it’s fair for me to recieve the skin, nor do i think it’s fair to the actual winners for everyone else to receive the same reward “just for trying their hardest” - that’s a garbage decision that may or may not invalidate someone’s sense of achievement 

if you’re going to give out the autumn skin regardless i think you should also give out an extra something of equal value to the actual winners, so they still have something to mark their achievement by

• Like 1

Won once out of random luck but it was rather annoying watching the same people win over and over on Jericho.  Really think that everyone who was on should just get the skin, it kinda does devalue it as a unique thing but there's other weapons skins that can take its place in the future, I'm sure.

Before you do though, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE fix the skins color pallet.  The random red mixed with orange/white doesn't work at all, may as well have just left it black, or some dark brown.  Really just some autumny color so its visually pleasing like most other skins.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lign said:

The problem with the event wasn't the exclusive skin for elitist. The problem was that you could repeatedly play and win and the 1st place was the only one way to get the skin. I got the skin but I also enjoyed 20v20 gungame event, So I kept participating and winning

I can understand getting caught up in the heat of the moment and winning on accident a few times(I did), but after a while you start to remember what the last gun is. You could stop yourself from winning, which is what I did most of the time.

@MattScott Yes this event was a complete failure however there should be some kind of reward for those ppl who actually adhered to the GMs requests to not continuously win. They showed great respect to the other players by not only avoiding to win but helping others win the skin. I honestly think the butcher skin should be brought back as an option for these players cause its players like those who make the community and the game great and fun. For those who won repeatedly however I feel they should get nothing as while yes the JT was a big draw there were those who were winning just for bragging rights and to block others from winning not caring about the JT (this is considered griefing and is against the TOS). I fell it should go like this as it would be fair and would encourage future good behavior by the community.

Autumn Assault skin for anyone who participated in the event

Butcher skin for those who won but didnt win multiple times and assisted others

Multiple winners get nothing further as they have the skin and won alot of JT in the process

• Like 1

Confirmed or not? the butcher skin was given during the events "first few days" i didn't jump onto the event till after they removed butcher skin

(and replaced it with a quick reskin that still has red parts for some reason)

No. Not giving out.

Just make a proper event where everyone can enjoy and get prizes while having fun. You don't have to give anything because yes. Thats weak.

I've managed to get the last kill on "Explosives" with the brick,

but for some weird reason it hasn't counted,

not even 2 second later someone else got as well a brick kill and his one got counted...

Hi all,

Just for clarity, I'm not talking about the Butcher skin at all. I don't know the history, and we shifted away from that skin well before the event started.

I do recognize that the current Autumn Assault skin is bugged on some weapons, and it shows red where it shouldn't. That is being fixed.

But this thread is just about awarding the Autumn Assault skin to people who logged in during the dates of the event.

Thanks,
Matt

• Like 3

Don't have it. Don't think I should be able to say one way or the other.

I do believe those that won it should have the most sway here. Not the people clamoring for something rare simply because they don't have it. The players that put the work in should be making the call. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Zolerox said:

Confirmed or not? the butcher skin was given during the events "first few days" i didn't jump onto the event till after they removed butcher skin

(and replaced it with a quick reskin that still has red parts for some reason)

It was never given out. Unless Matt takes my idea above into consideration it wont be seen.