MattScott

Cyrillic nick name change & Jericho/Citadel consolidation

Woot! Another 15 legendaries to move to my Citadel pile then. First 3 pages on marketplace will be mine, e-peen contest incoming 🙂

Edited by Spy

When i first saw the title of this topic i was like oh f**k no but thanks for clarifying that there will be mirrored servers which i will totally be ok with but make sure the east coast server is either in New York or DC. 

• Like 1

we need more explanation about this not just 2 lines written(at least i need)cause this is scary as f*ck game lags enough already 😕

When i first saw the title of this topic i was like oh f**k no but thanks for clarifying that there will be mirrored servers which i will totally be ok with but make sure the east coast server is either in New York or DC.

oh ok start to understand a bit..

Edited by TheMessiah

Please don't ruin citadel char's mailboxes like you did to nekrova ones.

Mine contains a ton of designs since 2013 or so.

Thanks.

Edited by Gro
  • Thanks 1

@MattScott I think that these changes are very good, but I still have one large concern regarding nicknames and that is the amount of taken inactive names. I still think that before you do this, you should do a massive namewipe for all nicknames that were not merged during the 2015 server merges. All these players who will be forced to change names when the names become forced to english PLUS when the Citadel and Jericho merge happens there will be MANY MANY MANY MANY nicknames that overlap and people will have an incredibly low pool of acceptable nicknames to pick from as all taken nicknames on both Citadel and Jericho will blend.

If you think that it might be unfair to them, you can send out warning e-mails to all those accounts. I personally believe that if those players have not merged their accounts at all (aka they have not logged into the account once since 2015) then they won't care and if they do, they can have a timeframe where they can login to secure their names (say 30 days) prior to this new upcoming merge. I think that this is not only fair but also a necessity, especially with any influx of new players who will want at least half-decent nicknames. Having to use really ugly, terrible names where they have to replace letters with numbers or adding more numbers at the end will deter a portion of incoming players and some Internet celebrities such a streamers and others who come to try the game might want their well known names in-game as well. Those are just examples, there are many instances where this is relevant.

EDIT: Thank you.

Edited by Flaws
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Gro said:

Mine containts a ton of designs since 2013 or so.

Thanks.

i have tons of weapon trails in dat mail..if they disappear ill find them and ill burn that madaf*kin place down..

giphy.gif

Edited by TheMessiah

I read this as Citadel and Nekrova merge and was like "Well that's cool I guess" then read it again and was like OH FUCK YES. Jericho leggo!

8 minutes ago, Gro said:

Mine containts a ton of designs since 2013 or so.

Thanks.

I think part of the issue with that was the inability to do a 1:1 transfer. Given the vastly different structure to how the two versions were setup. 

If you go further back to the Colby/Joker merges there were no such issues. So I'm betting that won't happen here? 

Edited by Genobee

1 minute ago, Genobee said:

I think part of the issue with that was the in-ability to do a 1:1 transfer. Given the vastly different structure to how the two versions were setup. 

If you go further back to the Colby/Joker merges there were no such issues for example. So I'm betting that won't happen here? 

I hope so.

0a6a13b2b77cb57cae30aeab932bdc46.png

It would be nice to get a bit more elaboration on what exactly is happening, the current description is moderately vague. How exactly would this affect someone such as myself, who is on the West coast of US? Should I expect a substantial latency increase like I had back when I played on Joker? Or will I still maintain the sub-20ms I get to Jericho? Are there going to be actual safeguards in place so we don't lose a bunch of our stuff like every previous server merge has resulted in, or should I start cataloguing all of my inventory to slam the support desk with a fat ticket afterwards? I could go on...

@MattScott How will name changes work for characters with the same name on both servers that are on the same account too? Do you get to choose which character keeps the name or does one of the two get the namechange applied randomly?

Furthermore I'm happy that I can play on EU with my mains soon, I have been waiting a long time to do so!

Edited by VanilleKeks
  • Like 1

Interesting

3 minutes ago, MattScott said:

Lots of edits to my original post for clarity.

One more question: How will conflicting nicknames that are both active be handled?

On 8/24/2019 at 6:02 PM, NotZombieBiscuit said:

I don't know how I feel about this.

Also Sydney, Aus > Singapore. This was obvious during the HAN server getting moved around years ago.

I agree here I don't see how this would benefit us unless there's some sort of middle point for us Aussie players being able to have a stable connection, And I believe HAN was based in Sydney for a good solid 6+ months before being moved again.

Merged.

On 8/24/2019 at 5:16 PM, MattScott said:

Yes. World servers will be mirrored in multiple regions.

We haven’t nailed down specific locations for new Action Districts, but options are Los Angeles, New York, Moscow, Singapore, Rio. These Action District servers will be marked in the Advanced list by region, but will be available to all players to join.

What about Sydney being also a possible location?

Edited by ɱɑƫƫʂϗᎧɨɨ™

8 minutes ago, ɱɑƫƫʂϗᎧɨɨ™ said:

What about Sydney being also a possible location?

We are looking mostly at locations where multiple regions can play. Sydney is great for locals, but terrible for everyone else.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MattScott said:

We are looking mostly at locations where multiple regions can play. Sydney is great for locals, but terrible for everyone else.

I don't suppose Darwin being it at the very top near Asia but then again it prolly be a nightmare due to amount of submarine cables being cut by careless ship captains dragging their anchors along the seafloor.

4 hours ago, MattScott said:

[...]

We haven’t nailed down specific locations for new Action Districts, but options are Los Angeles, New York, Moscow, Singapore, Rio. [...]

F51F3309-6B06-4A54-A521-3FC25E2CC6BB.jpeg

Can we get full list of locations or is that shown in that map here? If yes, then this locations worry me... a lot. Especially since London and Moscow are pretty... on edge locations for Pole like me.

But personally. Hey finally we getting toward phasing. I just hope EU 3.5 will balance out my further losses in FPS.

Edited by Mitne

1 hour ago, MattScott said:

Lots of edits to my original post for clarity.

I'd still like further clarification if I have the SAME name on 2 different faction characters on both Citadel and Joker.

Will nobody talk about the New World Order box on the second map?🤔

Hi all,

During the coming weeks, we will be disabling special characters (Cyrillic, Latin, etc) in names and flagging all names that contain special characters for a forced change. 

This is to fix the /report and mail issues and to prep the upcoming Jericho and Citadel merge. The goal is to finally open all characters across all regions.

EDIT: This isn’t like a traditional server merge. World servers will be merged, but we are spreading out the Action Districts so that North American players can play with other regions and so that our Asia-Pacific, South America, and Russian players can have better latency.

We haven’t nailed down specific locations for new Action Districts, but options are Los Angeles, New York, Moscow, Singapore, Rio. These Action District servers will be marked in the Advanced list by region, but will be available to all players to join.

EDIT: This move is a prerequisite for Phasing, which eliminate the need to spam click in an effort to join a district with 79 players. Instead we will match across all online players in the same district type and move those players to the best server for them.

EDIT: We are also going to do something special with character names to avoid collisions this time. Anyone who hasn’t logged in their character within the last year will have their name released so that new and existing characters can use it both during and after the merge.

Thanks,

Matt

Putting servers in both LA and NY would be the most ideal way of doing this as this will Cover both the east and west coasts of the US keeping pings to a min.

• Like 1

EDIT: We are also going to do something special with character names to avoid collisions this time. Anyone who hasn’t logged in their character within the last year will have their name released so that new and existing characters can use it both during and after the merge.

Are those the only requirements? People are going log in and then never play again.

I believe that any conflicting name should be based on recent gameplay hours prior to the merge. For example, if "Bum" on Jericho has 40 hours of recent gameplay before the merge and "Bum" on Citadel only has 1 hour of recent gameplay, "Bum" on Jericho gets to keep the name. In order for this to be fair, an exact date for the merge should be publicly mentioned. If the merge were to happen on September 25th, this would give us ample time to prepare and accumulate gameplay hours to keep our names.

I am sure a few people would be mad about this stating that it is unfair to veterans, especially the 255s holding these names. My argument is this. Why should inactive players be able to hold names that they do not use? If you have not played APB in awhile, you did not care about the names in the first place.