MattScott

Quick post - Gamescom wrap up

Hi everyone,

We've been a bit busy at Gamescom this week, so I apologize for some of the silence.
Lixil has been here all week with me doing meetings, so her focus has been split between the show and her normal duties.

Despite the rumors, we didn't have a booth and we were not showing off the new Engine upgrade.
The purpose of the trip was mostly to focus on physical distribution and the rollout of Descent later this year.

Couple quick updates:

1) We are still working through Weapon Balance issues.
Many players have voiced frustration that we didn't listen to them. From my perspective, I don't feel like that is true. Many of their comments have been taken into account. We simply got too excited and jumped the gun before changes were complete. New changes are still being posted to OTW, and once we've settled on the proper balance, we will update Production. Again, I own the mistake. We are working to rectify things.

2) It appears there was a scamming report being broadcast in-game, and our GM handled it poorly.
I want to start by acknowledging the player who was trying to broadcast warnings and help make sure other players didn't fall into a scam trap. While they were technically violating our name-and-shame rules, I suspect their heart was in the right place. I understand the frustration players experience when scam tickets take a long time to complete. They take hours and hours to sort through logs and systems to revert items back to their original owners. That is one of the large reasons we escalated the new trading system ahead of the Engine upgrade. We are doing our best, and that is why I have publicly posted for players NOT to trade right now.

I also want to acknowledge the effort of the GM who dealt with a tricky situation that was far from black and white. All of our GMs are under the microscope. Their's is a thankless job. This person did the best they could attempting to enforce our rules, but ultimately they made the wrong call. There is no way they could have known it was okay to allow the player's behavior, and Lixil was unavailable due to Gamescom.

Lixil has spoken with the GM and worked through the issues. It wont happen again.

3) We try hard not to delete posts.
If you see a post missing, please do not make the assumption that we are attempting some cover up. I committed from the first day we took over that we would be as transparent as possible, and I believe we have made good on that promise so far. More than likely a missing post means we have hidden it to correctly sort out the situation. This gives us a chance to contact the parties involved and get informed. Most of the time we will simply unhide the post and let things continue. Sometimes that's not appropriate.

In this case, we didn't handle hiding the post as well as I would have hoped. We'll do better in the future.

Thanks,
Matt

• Like 25
  • Thanks 14

19 minutes ago, MattScott said:

I also want to acknowledge the effort of the GM who dealt with a tricky situation that was far from black and white. All of our GMs are under the microscope. Their's is a thankless job. 

Thanks GMs! 

Just want to say thanks for all their efforts in game, I do appreciate it when they're around but it seems that every time I see one online there are scores of keyboard warriors who are lining up to either trap them into saying something they shouldn't or examine their every word just to pick out the smallest of flaws. It cannot be easy wrangling us around, but thanks for trying.  Edited by KnifuWaifu
  • Like 1

Since I have nothing more to say than "appreciate the update", I'll add a cat-ear gif to my comment!!1
e5xnL1d.gif

Thanks for keeping us posted! Looking forward to the future of APB

Thanks for your update. Despite the goof-ups it's still good that at least YOU'RE TRYING and positive in your intent to bring the product back to some good standards.

And, between having somebody who tries and goofs up sometimes and somebody who doesn't even try so they can say they never goofed up I think it's obvious which is best to have in charge of this game.

Edited by V2050
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tobii said:
But I am at work 😞
PiDLVx2.gif

You and me both, homes.

10 minutes ago, AsgerLund said:
PiDLVx2.gif

You and me both, homes.
My boss calls you a sau hund, guess he didn't like the whipped cream involvement.  Edited by wibseyV2

Thanks matt for the update, 

also, i would suggest to the community to not straight up overheat and escalte all the time when LO is trying to sort out things properly, give them a break and some time - PATIENCE, is the keyword.

Enjoy your guys time in cologne, hope you guys get some nice impression of germany.

/regards

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I mean i get the delete posting bit, but when i get censored for calling someone on here a bronze and then warned it's kinda bullshoot. Makes me not want to even participate in the forums anymore when the mod feels like he can just delete any post he wants. They posted something dumb. If you post dumb things you should be able to call them out on it. We don't need moderators here kissing peoples boo boos and holding our hands. 

55 minutes ago, AsgerLund said:

Since I have nothing more to say than "appreciate the update", I'll add a cat-ear gif to my comment!!1
e5xnL1d.gif

Ah yes. Catgirlsandkneesocks. I used to tinychat with this dude all the time. Edited by Signarly

1 hour ago, MattScott said:

That is one of the large reasons we escalated the new trading system ahead of the Engine upgrade. We are doing our best, and that is why I have publicly posted for players NOT to trade right now.

can any date be announced for the new trading system ?
because yesterday's post i think lacked informations if i may say.

16 minutes ago, wibsey said:
My boss calls you a sau hund, guess he didn't like the whipped cream involvement. 
I agree with your boss. Whipped cream is gross.

...wait, your boss knows me?

30 minutes ago, AsgerLund said:
I agree with your boss. Whipped cream is gross.

...wait, your boss knows me?
No, might be the DP... Your jelly burgers reminds him of his own. 

Thx for the update @MattScott
So any ETA on the trading system?

Edited by Keshi

5 hours ago, Tobii said:
👌
dont post illuminati symbols pls thx (dats 666 many people dont realize it even celebraties)

I cant wait for new content. I really dont care about this weapon balance. Give us something please. New missions or something.

Thanks for the update!

It really is disturbing that people STILL fall for trade scams, like seriously people, stop being so desperate in a video game 😐 support has much more important things to deal with.

@MattScott
Keep up the great work, despite all the people complaining about you/your efforts, you and your company are literally the best thing that has happened to this game since RTW. Keep on truckin'.
  • Like 2

Well I can say you have gained alot of respect as most CEOS would not acknowledge something like the aforementioned GM drama, thank you for actually listening and addressing this issue that made some of us concerned.

Edited by Davess
  • Like 2

I noticed something when I finished reading this. I actually read it word for word, the whole thing. I never did that with G1, mainly because they just rehashed and changed around some words from older patch notes. Keep up the good work, and hope to see some Engine Upgrade teases/content in the following weeks!

20 hours ago, ultim8killer said:
can any date be announced for the new trading system ?
because yesterday's post i think lacked informations if i may say.
18 hours ago, Keshi said:

Thx for the update @MattScott
So any ETA on the trading system?

It was in QA when I left, but there was an issue trading weapons (which is what the bulk of the system is for). I believe that got cleared up, but I'm still seeing unresolved items in our issue tracker.
I've been in Germany all week, so it's possible those have all been fixed but not marked complete.
If I had to take a guess, we'll be releasing Trading the week of September 3rd.

Thanks,
Matt

Edited to clarify target release date for Trading date.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MattScott said:

It was in QA when I left, but there was an issue trading weapons (which is what the bulk of the system is for). I believe that got cleared up, but I'm still seeing unresolved items in our issue tracker.
I've been in Germany all week, so it's possible those have all been fixed but not marked complete.
If I had to take a guess, we'll be releasing Trading the week of the 3rd.

Thanks,
Matt
alright thanks for the reply. So the trade system will be live around september 19th on the Live server? or OTW for testing?

Thank you for caring and understanding the situation. When I wrote that post I was almost confident it'd go unnoticed but fortunately, I was wrong. Thank you Little Orbit for sorting this out and my apologies if my approach was inappropriate or unprofessional. You proved to me that you guys really care about this game unlike the old administration. 

• Like 2