stateofthegame

What are your thoughts on the OSCAR?

Power level of the OSCAR  

104 members have voted

1. 1. The OSCAR is...

• Underpowered
    • Perfectly balanced
    • Unbalanced

I find the OSCAR to be one of the most polarizing weapons in the game and I'm curious to see what other people think of the gun.

I personally find it to be a perfectly balanced weapon that becomes unbalanced when combined with a high latency due to how the gun fires and operates. Whilst this is nowhere near what it was during the sprint-shooting days it's still perfectly possible for people to create multiple stages on invulnerability or 'weird hitboxes' whilst using the gun.

Edited by UpholdThePeace

It can be called unbalanced but only in very good hands.
The recoil pattern of the 2nd shot is an annoying thing to master but once you do it's super effective weapon!

However I don't think there is a tweak needed for this gun (Unless the upcoming balance changes show otherwise) 

a strong gun that rewards skill (as much as thats a thing in apb)

• Like 6

It's a pretty well balanced weapon.

It does have a tendency to create weird hit registration issues though.

I think its fine other than its range, 40m(47 with ir3) i just think its a little much.

Just needs slightly lower range potential. It's supposed to be a CQC hipfire burst rifle, not that plus a slightly weaker OBIR.

Some players find it as an overpowered weapon and some players find it as a balanced weapon but most of the players even not using this weapon.
It is difficult to find  OSCAR users that not switch that weapon after one mission. 

I do believe that OSCAR has to get a little buff because it is a little weak weapon  in mid to long range or maybe it will be a better weapon  if  they  will only fix when OSCAR sometimes kill after more than four hits in movement 

Edited by Bowie
  • Like 1

Good gun in good hands. And thats the point, good hands, it has a learning curve. Unlike those very easy to use guns we always comply about

For me its very difficult to master its rate of fire to shoot smoothly, but we had a good times together. I honestly dont know what to think about OSCAR. Sometimes it does not hit when it has to. STAC, and Obir is a better choice for me... STAC/Joker Carbine feels more accurate even tho it has bigger crosshair.

The only reason the oscar is unbalanced for me is because when going against an enemy using an oscar, he warps everytime he shoots...

• Like 2

The OSCAR will not reward bad players like, say, an ATAC or N-TEC will. You have to be good at aiming and timing your shots for it to be a good gun.

Also I don't know where people keep getting this "they warp every time they shoot with OSCAR" thing from. I've never seen it happen, at least not since sprintshooting was nerfed. Are you sure it's not simply lag-related issues since many of these claims are from NA?

I'd say it's one of the most balanced weapons in the game.

Easy to pickup and use, hard to master. This gun in the right hands can tackle most scenarios, but, it does have various weaknesses that can be exploited to give the OSCAR user a hard time.

Maybe shaving 5m off its effective range may help, since it can do some pretty insane things at mid-range, but that might just kill its ability to counter n-tecs effectively.

I'd say leave it where it is. It's a great mobile weapon with tons of potency, but can be caught out.

• Like 3

i like the oscar but i feel a lot of the time it invalidates the carbine because of how accurate it is at range

generally most people i see use ir3 and it allows them to trade with ntec users pretty adequately

Edited by Uru!

I think that the OSCAR is too good at all the things it does for the number of things it does: trades with shotties in cqc, trades with NTECs in mid range.  For a jack-of-all-trades, it does them too well.

Same problem I have with the NTEC, actually.  I feel we need more specialization in these guns, or if they're going to remain good at so many things, they should only be as good at them as, say, the STAR (the most jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none gun in the game).

Here's another thing which I feel people don't appreciate. How used a gun is.

I feel there is slight bias sometimes when it comes to peoples' opinions of some weapons due to how much they see them, not how good they actually are.

I feel the n-tec is slightly overrated in this regard. I'm by no means saying it's not a powerhouse, but it has plenty of counters that shuts it down.

A great example of a weapon that's criminally underused but easily one of the best, if not the best SMG is the s1-na manic.

@Eyepop yes, the OSCAR can do these things, but it has to be in the right hands. It's not a forgiving weapon. You're either on target all the time or you're dropping shots.

Edited by Kempington
  • Like 1

Very well balanced weapon... higher ttk balanced by great hipfire accuracy. Not the easiest weapon to use when compared to others, but very rewarding if you can get the hang of it.

We could use more weapons like this tbh. 

7 hours ago, Ellix said:

It can be called unbalanced but only in very good hands.

People keep saying this but I just cannot understand the logic behind it.
In APB, the fact that a weapon is only effective in skilled hands is precisely what makes a weapon balanced, that's how I see it. And I love that. Several weapons which this applies to are my absolute favourites.

I'm rather certain the reason why many find the OSCAR unbalanced/overpowered is that they have much difficulty beating a skilled OSCAR user - which I can understand. However, they are beatable. For me, a weapon is overpowered when there is no proper counter to it. That's also why the N-TEC is far from being overpowered, for instance.

As a side note: Remember when pretty much noone was using the OSCAR? Can't recall anyone complaining about it at that time. Think about that.
  • Like 2

It’s definitely not a gun you can just pick up and shred but it definitely gets strong real quick once you start getting used to it. 

Personally think it’s burst interval and fire rate could be tweaked and maybe accuracy too. It’s way too strong like pretty much every other burst fire weapon on corners. It’s pretty much a laser which helps a lot too. Other than that I have no issues facing good oscar players

Edited by SuperToaster

high risk for high rewards , i think it's fine .

that gun is so accurate that it's of course very skill rewarding , but if your aim isn't perfect it's a miss and you're the one dieing first.

Edited by Ketog

Good weapon that rewards a good player, that is all.
Leave it alone. 

The oscar is the only weapon that lets you do this.

Four burts and perfect ttk, i shot the 5th one because i wasn't expecting him to die so quickly at that range.
It's almost impossible to replicate the same thing (again, 6 shots and perfect ttk) with a carbine while hip firing considering the bloom and rng, at that range.
That's the problem way too much range for a gun this accurate and mobile, i think it would be a good idea to scrape off 5m from its effective range.

Edit: well, what @Kempington said. Edited by Scoreson
  • Like 1

Its a pretty balanced weapon IMO. I've killed OSCAR users pretty easily before, and sometimes its impossible. The way the gun acts, sometimes creates hitreg issues. It's an easy weapon to overcome in the hands of an unskilled player, and can be a thing to fear in the hands of a skilled player. It rewards skill and I think it's probably one of the more-balanced weapons of the game.

51 minutes ago, Scoreson said:

The oscar is the only weapon that lets you do this.

Four burts and perfect ttk, i shot the 5th one because i wasn't expecting him to die so quickly at that range.
It's almost impossible to replicate the same thing (again, 6 shots and perfect ttk) with a carbine while hip firing considering the bloom and rng, at that range.
That's the problem way too much range for a gun this accurate and mobile, i think it would be a good idea to scrape off 5m from its effective range.

Edit: well, what @Kempington said.
"I ttk'd some static silver once so OSCAR must be super op"
Try to record such stuff during actual mission against decent golds who know how to user covers and strafe.

OSCAR is absolutely fine, no need to touch it with greasy "nerf" hands. Edited by The Suspect
  • Like 1

Underpowered in a newbs hands. Strong as fuck in a skilled players hands.

I would argue it is one of the most skill orientated guns in the game that is heavily dependent on the person using it rather than the gun itself.