Jump to content
Katryoshka

The RTX Crashing has Begun!!! Help me Gamers! D:

Recommended Posts

Any and all suggestions and ideas are appreciated ❤️  


{ i9 9900K 4.7ghz on all 8 cores with 16mb cache, RTX 2080 Ti 11GB GDDR6 , 32GB DDR4 (2933), with an SSD. }

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the crashing is so inconsistent I'd advise to simply keep lowering the games graphics until the crashes stop happening. You can even try to mess with the advanced launcher options and see if theres a way to stop making the game crash without sacrificing quality of things you care about such as Characters, Cars etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are fundamental changes in RTX cards that APB was never meant to handle. The 64-bit approach Nvidia has taken with the architecture in these cards means that APB, being a 32-bit only game, will eventually crash when it tries to communicate with the GPU's memory.

Ketog summarized everything we know about this :
 

Quote

Since LO never gave an official statement on these crashes, here's a complete explanation of what is the issue:

 

There is currently a big crash issue with the game that occurs on ALL Nvidia Turing cards that includes all cards from the GTX 16xx Series, and the RTX Series.

 

Here are the 3 common issues that all have been experienced users of those Graphics cards, note that those crashes tend to happen on respawn/ right after a respawn:

 

1: Game suddenly stops and gives you an Out of memory error.

     You can mitigate this issue by playing the game in the "Low" or "Minimal" preset, but that doesn't work for everyone, you will still crash at some point.

 

2 :Game freezes when you respawn but you can still hear everything happening.

     You can minimise / maximise the game to fix the issue, or do control + alt + del  and click back on the game to unfreeze it.

 

3: Game completely stops working on respawn and you get "APB Is not responding" OR The crash reporter pops up and shows you "Device lost" / "Result failed" in the log

     You can mitigate this issue by playing the game in the "Low" or "Minimal" preset, but that doesn't work for everyone, you will still crash at some point.

All those issues are common to all Nvidia Turing cards, and are caused by their new driver architecture being based around 64 bit instructions.

There is no way to fix these issues other than upgrading the game engine to natively support 64 bit instructions. (That bug is already fixed in the engine upgrade)

Whatever kind of "FIX" you find will most of the time work only for you and no one else.

 

 

A quick note that i can give, is that older drivers might be able to completely fix all those problems, i sadly do not know which which driver version.

 

The occurrence of this bug varies heavily between users, some never had the issues while some crash 70% of the time on respawn, it is absolutely random and pretty much impossible to track down due to pc setups always being slightly different.

The only real fix that is known to work for everyone is... well, the engine upgrade, pretty much we can't do anything other than wait.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

send it to me, i'll handle it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought an RTX card knowing the issues they have with APB and have had for years.

 

HELP ME GAMERS I ALREADY KNOW WHAT TO DO BUT I NEED ANOTHER REASON TO MAKE A WHINY THREAD

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't be like me and pretend that the crashing is so infrequent you can play around it,

 

I'd recommend getting the APB Advanced Launcher and just lowering the settings that way - I haven't had a crash so far. It is very annoying to not be able to play at the highest settings, but unfortunately until the new engine is released, there will not be much we can do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

I bought an RTX card knowing the issues they have with APB and have had for years.

 

HELP ME GAMERS I ALREADY KNOW WHAT TO DO BUT I NEED ANOTHER REASON TO MAKE A WHINY THREAD

Honestly, what is the better place to ask how to play APB with RTX?...

 

I don't think that response was justifed.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Catgorl said:

There are fundamental changes in RTX cards that APB was never meant to handle. The 64-bit approach Nvidia has taken with the architecture in these cards means that APB, being a 32-bit only game, will eventually crash when it tries to communicate with the GPU's memory.

Ketog summarized everything we know about this :
 

 

The game uses api to communicate, so I highly doubt it's nvidia's fault per se. And I can't even find any other games with this issue.

The whole "64-bit" theory is just lol. You have 64bit cpu and windows 7/10 64bit and you are able to run 32 bit software... LO better finally look into this and say something because. If you guys wait for the engine update  so this problem disappear, you are going to have a bad time - it's not coming any time soon.

Edited by Sayori

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Katryoshka said:

Any and all suggestions and ideas are appreciated ❤️  


{ i9 9900K 4.7ghz on all 8 cores with 16mb cache, RTX 2080 Ti 11GB GDDR6 , 32GB DDR4 (2933), with an SSD. }

Welcome to the club friend

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Mitne said:

Honestly, what is the better place to ask how to play APB with RTX?...

 

I don't think that response was justifed.

You forgot who made this thread.

Edited by NotZombieBiscuit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2020 at 8:31 PM, Sayori said:

The whole "64-bit" theory is just lol. You have 64bit cpu and windows 7/10 64bit and you are able to run 32 bit software...

If you're knowledgeable enough about computers to argue against it, you will know that you run 32-bit software on 64-bit hardware because you can recreate the 32-bit addressable memory range by effectively halving 64-bit registers in your RAM into two 32-bit registers. The program instructions are the same between x86 and AMD_64, therefore no extra change is required. Load program memory into the halved registers as if they were individual addresses and the program works just fine. Windows does this using WoW64.

What you cannot do however, is try to access a hardware 64-bit memory region from a 32-bit program. It's out of range and it will never be able to see it. Try to install Windows XP natively on a system with 16 GB of RAM, you *will* get the same "Out of memory" error that APB spits out, because it crashes when it tries to read an out-of-range existing address. It's incorrectly reported as being out of memory because that would be the logical reason you wouldn't be able to access a known memory address under normal circumstances.

This is complete conjecture since I'm not part of APB's coding team, but I believe it's what's happening while APB tries to access data in the GPU memory located beyond the 4 GB threshold, because RTX drivers care very little about backwards compatibility with 32-bit games, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was an oversight that allows the driver to address memory objects beyond 4 GB in 32-bit mode. Graphics cards normally have dedicated 32-bit and 64-bit modes, the former being the cause of crashes in APB. The API is compatible, but due to the way APB handles video memory, I wouldn't be surprised if it just kept on going trough memory addresses until eventually the driver goes beyond the 4 GB addressable limit and the game crashes. I can't see any other reason for "Out of memory" crashes to happen exclusively on RTX cards.

Edited by Catgorl
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plug your monitor(s) into your motherboard and restart your pc.

Edited by Leefekyn
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Catgorl said:

If you're knowledgeable enough about computers to argue against it, you will know that you run 32-bit software on 64-bit hardware because you can recreate the 32-bit addressable memory range by effectively halving 64-bit registers in your RAM into two 32-bit registers. The program instructions are the same between x86 and AMD_64, therefore no extra change is required. Load program memory into the halved registers as if they were individual addresses and the program works just fine. Windows does this using WoW64.

What you cannot do however, is try to access a hardware 64-bit memory region from a 32-bit program. It's out of range and it will never be able to see it. Try to install Windows XP natively on a system with 16 GB of RAM, you *will* get the same "Out of memory" error that APB spits out, because it crashes when it tries to read an out-of-range existing address. It's incorrectly reported as being out of memory because that would be the logical reason you wouldn't be able to access a known memory address under normal circumstances.

This is complete conjecture since I'm not part of APB's coding team, but I believe it's what's happening while APB tries to access data in the GPU memory located beyond the 4 GB threshold, because RTX drivers care very little about backwards compatibility with 32-bit games, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was an oversight that allows the driver to address memory objects beyond 4 GB in 32-bit mode. Graphics cards normally have dedicated 32-bit and 64-bit modes, the former being the cause of crashes in APB. The API is compatible, but due to the way APB handles video memory, I wouldn't be surprised if it just kept on going trough memory addresses until eventually the driver goes beyond the 4 GB addressable limit and the game crashes. I can't see any other reason for "Out of memory" crashes to happen exclusively on RTX cards.

This is a fantastic post, good to see there's still logic in the world!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe if you can disable RTX in Nvidia Grapic Settings on Windows and a game rule for APB R, with much disabled options they are just specific for RTX cards.

 

I dont have actually an RTX, my comes to christmas time 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So you can turn off the rtx feature in nvidia settings for APB though this is purely a bandaid fix and will still crash every so often due in part to the fact the current system was designed for 32-bit.

 

It you read about the engine upgrade you will notice it should fix the RTX problems since it will be 64-bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/30/2020 at 8:31 PM, Sayori said:

The game uses api to communicate, so I highly doubt it's nvidia's fault per se. And I can't even find any other games with this issue.

The whole "64-bit" theory is just lol. You have 64bit cpu and windows 7/10 64bit and you are able to run 32 bit software... LO better finally look into this and say something because. If you guys wait for the engine update  so this problem disappear, you are going to have a bad time - it's not coming any time soon.

that's not how it works.

 

the blame was also not on nvidia per sé but the old outdated engine.

 

there also is quite an amount of emulation required to run 32bit software on 64bit hardware - you might have seen WOW64 on your pc.

if nvidia doesn't do as good of a job of emulating as microsoft (which also dont do perfect emulation, not every software runs) e.g. because certain feature/instructions are seen as deprecated - well, this might lead to crashes.

it's not very far-fetched to think that new drivers - especially for whole new architectures - could lead to crashes. and definitely not unheard of. 

e.g. pubg, also a mess of a game, would run much better on certain driver versions but straight up crash on some newer ones.

Edited by neophobia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, neophobia said:

that's not how it works.

 

the blame was also not on nvidia per sé but the old outdated engine.

 

there also is quite an amount of emulation required to run 32bit software on 64bit hardware - you might have seen WOW64 on your pc.

if nvidia doesn't do as good of a job of emulating as microsoft (which also dont do perfect emulation, not every software runs) e.g. because certain feature/instructions are seen as deprecated - well, this might lead to crashes.

it's not very far-fetched to think that new drivers - especially for whole new architectures - could lead to crashes. and definitely not unheard of. 

e.g. pubg, also a mess of a game, would run much better on certain driver versions but straight up crash on some newer ones.

let's also not forget that apb came out in 2009 and, at this time most people if they had a PC was a pc with 2007-2009 hardware

Current APB retained most of it's codebase, so the game is genuinely a decade behind.

 

between the creation of apb and today, GTX 900 series came out, GTX 1000 came out, RTX 2000 series came out and RTX 3000 Series came out, APB is 4 generations of graphics cards behind

 

Indeed, nvidia's not at all to blame here, apb's just old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2020 at 7:50 PM, Frosi said:

Since the crashing is so inconsistent I'd advise to simply keep lowering the games graphics until the crashes stop happening. You can even try to mess with the advanced launcher options and see if theres a way to stop making the game crash without sacrificing quality of things you care about such as Characters, Cars etc.

Everyone should play on the worst graphics POSSIBLE and stream on Twitch.

Also, continuosly press space bar as often as possible.

Best way to make people NEVER want to play the game.

Carry on.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been thinking to upgrade to a RTX card for a while, but seeing the issues allot of games are going through with the new series ...meh.

 

Some companies can't even keep up with the compatibility standards...  because gpu's lately are getting released too fast, and mostly are overpriced punts.

Guess i will be waiting for the RTX to settle a year or two, then i might consider upgrading.

 

Everything at launch is more of an influential marketing hype downgrade than an actual upgrade.

And i don't think the frustration results can compensate the satisfaction of enjoying an overpriced top tier gpu on your rig.

 

Usually later releases are the best options to pick anyway, compared to the overpriced crap which is usually valid only for the hype train Removed inappropriate language.    - Azukii, that got the modern addiction of tech flies piling up on the fresh GPtUrd.

There is a good reason for companies to push on small changes, big prices marketing strategy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/3/2020 at 5:48 AM, Havana said:

Everyone should play on the worst graphics POSSIBLE and stream on Twitch.

Also, continuosly press space bar as often as possible.

Best way to make people NEVER want to play the game.

Carry on.

This is not what is meant by Frosi's post, what the intention is is to lower the chances the game crashes, by lowering the graphical settings this risk of crashing the game becomes less. If this game functioned fine on normal graphics everyone would've played on them.

 

But with GC stutter every 60 seconds + this crashing issue for RTX and beyond this is the only method to keep a sustainable playable framerate as well as reducing the crash frequency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/2/2020 at 11:48 PM, Havana said:

Everyone should play on the worst graphics POSSIBLE and stream on Twitch.

Also, continuosly press space bar as often as possible.

Best way to make people NEVER want to play the game.

Carry on.

You mean 3/4 of APB's twitch streamers don't already play on clay potato graphics and jump all the time????

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...