Jump to content
Lixil

Extended Server Maintenance (Monday 4/29/2019)

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, MattScott said:

The techs hit a number of unforeseen issues, which have caused the extended downtime. And unfortunately these kinds of problems tend to be difficult to estimate fix time.

I know exactly how that goes lol, I finally gave in and upgraded from Win Xp about 6 months ago because something like this happened.

 

Which operating system?

 

MgUZ7Fy.gif

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i hope we have free goodieesss.. ^___^ ( just kidding )... thanks for the reply. have a good day all!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Matt ,leas we know whats going on FE servers and maintance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MattScott said:

Hi all,

 

As you know, Fallen Earth is quite dated and it requires operating systems that don't exist any more.

 

We did our best to backup everything properly and organize the smoothest transition possible, but the downtime was required for hand carrying servers between locations.

 

The techs hit a number of unforeseen issues, which have caused the extended downtime. And unfortunately these kinds of problems tend to be difficult to estimate fix time. 

 

I believe we are most of the way there now. The databases are back online. The servers are re-installed. We are going to bring everything up manually to get it back online, and then we’ll dial in the rest of the automation tomorrow.

 

I’ll post an update here as soon as possible.

 

Thanks,

Matt

Erm just a tiny question, for the expire mailbox stuff which get deleted due to the downtime will we get them back? 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, yashinato said:

Erm just a tiny question, for the expire mailbox stuff which get deleted due to the downtime will we get them back? 🤔

We will do our best to make things up to the players.

But at this point our priority is to just get the game back online so the engineers can get some rest.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MattScott said:

We will do our best to make things up to the players.

But at this point our priority is to just get the game back online so the engineers can get some rest.

Gee thanks, your affirmation to make things up is a great support already.

Hope the poor engineers don't get too overheated with the whole system migration stuff 😉

All the best!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What actually happened anyways? Don't worry about the "technical jargon", just be like..

 

Uhh well, Mike hit a pothole in the road and the back door on the van flung open. The server fell out and rolled down the street. We thought it looked ok, so we plugged it in and blew the main board which crumbled to dust from being so old. We had to overnight another one from Japan. Then the IT guy dropped his toolbox on his foot, so we had to take him to the ER, but he's ok, just broke 2 toes. Said heck with it and took a nap, then got some coffee and donuts a couple hours ago for the long night ahead.  (Technical issues) like that happen you know. 🙂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Grelko said:

What actually happened anyways? Don't worry about the "technical jargon", just be like..

 

Uhh well, Mike hit a pothole in the road and the back door on the van flung open. The server fell out and rolled down the street. We thought it looked ok, so we plugged it in and blew the main board which crumbled to dust from being so old. We had to overnight another one from Japan. Then the IT guy dropped his toolbox on his foot, so we had to take him to the ER, but he's ok, just broke 2 toes. Said heck with it and took a nap, then got some coffee and donuts a couple hours ago for the long night ahead.  (Technical issues) like that happen you know. 🙂

i rlly hope everyone is ok and no accidental issues went around 8), aside for been working all this time with the occasional rest for 2 or 3 coffee pots... i rlly hope either rush them or having someoe with the whip near them, stress doesn't mix well when "stuff" happens.

 

I'd indeed want to see a picture of the mainframe, just to know what the techs are dealing with, also we culd see the "face" of what is holding our world... I rest till the moment Matt asured the backups were safe, so anytime the server goes on will be fine. And i'd love a video of all the process, seeing all the struggling and succeedinng on the move... but i's too much to ask that kind of conection, i guess... well, hope all ends well, and despite all our quarries here, just you know we are here, at first impatient, then worried and now hopefull you can end this so you can rest too.

 

cheers, S.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see no reason to sarcastic. The team of the game tries so that people after work can brighten up their leisure time.👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Iandreyl said:

I see no reason to sarcastic. The team of the game tries so that people after work can brighten up their leisure time.👍

i see all reasons, humor and sarcasm is the best we can do at this point. Even when we don't know anything untill today for what was happening.

If there were no humor... i'll remark the lack of communication between the dev team and CM, and that they haven't stood for their word with the schedule, for me one of the most sacred things. If instead of this we use sarcasm... i's fine for me. The damage is done anyway, they may compensate for this, but a broken word stings forever :S

  • Dislike 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Skippicaa said:

The convoy between network facilities was attacked by plateau scorpions. They are looking for a clone to use Patch 2 or higher on the wounded.

Patch is a great skill for pets and hamsters alike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So been over 10 hours since the last update, even the most patient people are getting little irritated. Can we expect to get online at all today?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Boundsoul said:

So been over 10 hours since the last update, even the most patient people are getting little irritated. Can we expect to get online at all today?

agreed

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The current downtime is not intended. APB is also affected.

The team is working on correcting the issue, hopefully we should have some news for you soon.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Flight said:

The current downtime is not intended. APB is also affected.

The team is working on correcting the issue, hopefully we should hear some news soon.

So no then. I chose a great time to return.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Boundsoul said:

So no then. I chose a great time to return.

Lets hope for the best. I sadly can't give you an estimate at the moment, but I do apologize for the inconvenience.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aside from all the impatient people that just want to play and keep asking I say just let them their job, it'll be well worth it in the end good luck to the team and hope their work is progressing well ^-^

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was mostly joking before when I said it would be appropriate to give your paying customers 5 yellow chips for the inconvenience, now it would be very poor form to not do something in compensation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DwightPfeiffer said:

I was mostly joking before when I said it would be appropriate to give your paying customers 5 yellow chips for the inconvenience, now it would be very poor form to not do something in compensation. 

They already said compensation is going to be a thing, just not priority right now while they are fixing. Pay attention for later announcements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Malakyth said:

Aside from all the impatient people that just want to play and keep asking I say just let them their job, it'll be well worth it in the end good luck to the team and hope their work is progressing well ^-^

Well I think to ask for an update on when the game I started paying for every month might be returning to a playable state after being told the game was about ready then, 10 hours later no game and or new update about what was going on after going into what is it now 36-40 hours into a 12-hour downtime, wasn't an unreasonable question to ask.  and breathe...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ok tell my kids after i die i wanted to play this RIP 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Ritual said:

issue is still ongoing

 

11 hours ago, MattScott said:

As you know, Fallen Earth is quite dated and it requires operating systems that don't exist any more.

 

a number of unforeseen issues

50 minutes ago, Flight said:

working on correcting the issue

 

Truthfully, I'm not upset because of this downtime even though my membership is slowly ticking down, but things like this happen especially with older technology.

 

I just want to know what the (real issue) is? Hardware, software? Hyper-V? Problems seating the Ram cards or expansion slots? Are you able to get the test server running?

 

Actually, just about every operating system in existence can still be found online somewhere, even Acorn lol. Like I was saying at the top of page 3, I just got rid of my Win Xp about 6 months ago. I even still have the floppy's for my old win 95, 98,  old Power Mac stuff, Win 7 ultimate etc..

 

By the off chance, if you needed an old operating system, which one? Eycalyptus Ubuntu 9.04?, Debian?, Windows server 2008 R2? I might be able to find a copy around here somewhere or online, then toss it up on Github.

 

I've been messing around on computers since 92, went to college for computer programming in the early 2000s, couldnt count how many computers I've tore apart for scrap and/or fixed over the years and I've been hobby "bug testing" for the last 20 years or so, even made a couple small games of my own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Boundsoul said:

-snip- and breathe...

I know it sounds condescending... but as a natural resources scientist, I mean this 100%.

 

Take this down time to go outside for even just a few minutes. Even if it is cloudy or grey, just find a green space and take a few moments to stroll and breathe. All scientific research points towards better mood and an antidepressant quality of just being out side.

 

It's only been a couple of days, not a big deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...