MattScott

June 2019 - Next Steps with RIOT

ty for the information matt

but in my opinion u guys should still focus on engine upgrade and work later again on RIOT

and if the team is workin on riot let the community design some new things for RIOT too like a designcontest or something like that, would be a great step 😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swft said:

Expected. All we want is the engine upgrade so you guys can actually start creating content that belongs in APB and improving the game's looks and performance.

this is the only answer that needs to be in this thread and everyone should just vote this up.

This is 100% true.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

How about you actually listen to community and make Turfwar game mode like on Planetside?

• Like 2

https://www.gamersfirst.com/apb/news/2018/5/10/open-letter-to-the-apb-reloaded-community

"After that we’re going to focus on content. I’ll be working on an exact roadmap that we can publish soon, but over the coming months we would like to add a new mode, maps, clothes, guns, vehicles and a new matching system for competitive play. Alongside all of that we are committed to upgrading APB Reloaded to the Unreal 4 engine."

This is from the 1st LO blog back in may 2018.I guess they bought apb with main purpose to transform the game in BR.So thats why we keep waiting for 3.5,new matchmaking etc

Edited by TheMessiah

19 hours ago, MattScott said:

Right now, the big decision I need to make is whether to:
(1) take the mode down until it has seen major work or
(2) add some more tiers along with another reward that will enable players to continue grinding Joker Tickets while we make changes.

(2) Is a great idea as long as you make it right. Some more tiers for something like 200-600 Joker Tickets are nothing, just add infinite tiers but with less JT per tier than right now on live server. And nobody is going to grind the contact for something like another skin. I had enough grinding to contact lvl 5 for a simple skin, and is not worth it.

Just give good rewards to give people a reason to play this game mode, its been a week and the mode is completely dead, only enough players to play at high peaks some days...

Edited by Devil17

Ok my feedback - two things about communication in teams which i think is important:

1st I think is time to make changes to voIP so players can communicate properly.Separate the main game volume from voIP volume because theyr mixed and you cant decrease one volume without decreasing the other.Also fix the test mic button because is not working

2nd Why we cant see the radar when we spectate our teammates?Pls enable that

So this two things gonna make the game much more fun.Is online game after all

1 minute ago, TheMessiah said:

Why we cant see the radar when we spectate our teammates?Pls enable that

So this two things gonna make the game much more fun.Is online game after all

honestly i really don’t like the spectate feature, it can be abused even with the singe team lock

• Like 2

It's confusing to me that in the recent past it was said that RIOT sort of HAS TO be a hit, making it feel really important to be a success, but in this post it sounds like it was merely sort of a good opportunity for the dev team to learn some stuff and it's not so important if it failed. I don't understand.

I don't think RIOT can be "fixed" by doing something about the separate issues etc. It's like putting new furniture in a house that people are not going to live in anyway. For both new and old players, neither seem to be finding RIOT appealing enough. I feel sure the main problem is the game mode itself, the mechanics etc are just not fun enough.

Therefore my question is if there are the any plans on trying out making a classic BR mode for APB instead?

Edited by SilverCrow
  • Like 1

I haven't actively played APB on a daily basis since early 2016, but I hopped on to try out Riot and honestly it was okay. I played two matches and won both of them.

My only complaints:

1. Respawning directly behind other players after you just killed them/died by them

2. The lack of any kind of audio. When I wasn't in a shootout, there was an empty void of silence except for me running and swapping camera shoulders.

3. There isn't enough of a population on Jericho to honestly support Riot as a new game mode. We can't even fill up the normal districts as it is. 😞

If the Engine upgrade ends up allowing the population to boom and most of the players stick around, I think Riot would be neat as an alternative to just mindless TDM in Fight Club

39 minutes ago, SilverCrow said:

Therefore my question is if there are the any plans on trying out making a classic BR mode for APB instead?

i honestly don’t think a classic br would fit any better than riot, a lot of the mode’s issues stem from the importance of not dying (from poor respawns to long periods of inactivity to poor rewards to a wider skill gap etc) and a classic br would only double down on that

• Like 1

Does it even really matter? Nobody plays Riot so its impossible to earn anything in it.

13 minutes ago, Glaciers said:

i honestly don’t think a classic br would fit any better than riot, a lot of the mode’s issues stem from the importance of not dying (from poor respawns to long periods of inactivity to poor rewards to a wider skill gap etc) and a classic br would only double down on that

Classic BR has "wider skill gap"? Wider than what? It's a very simple game mode.

How could classic BR "double down" on a problematic game element that it doesn't even have? (Respawns)

I don't understand what you're saying.

A mutilated version of APB was not on players's wishlist.

I frequently ask for new vehicles (including pets 😄 ) 

...and the new mode remove the old vehicles at all ???

that's not funny 😞 

I tested the otw. so 40%-->41%

1 hour ago, SilverCrow said:

Classic BR has "wider skill gap"? Wider than what? It's a very simple game mode.

How could classic BR "double down" on a problematic game element that it doesn't even have? (Respawns)

I don't understand what you're saying.

i assumed by classic br you meant just removing the player controlled map closing, so extra lives/respawning would remain

wider was probably the wrong word but the skill gap in br modes (imo) seems far more noticeable - a singe life (or very limited lives) and gameplay almost entirely dependent on aim skill 

8 minutes ago, Glaciers said:

i assumed by classic br you meant just removing the player controlled map closing, so extra lives/respawning would remain

wider was probably the wrong word but the skill gap in br modes (imo) seems far more noticeable - a singe life (or very limited lives) and gameplay almost entirely dependent on aim skill 

It also goes by how stealthy you can be. Ive done afew rounds where i saw no other team till the last few blocks. You dont burn lives if you dont fight anybody.

27 minutes ago, Darkzero3802 said:

It also goes by how stealthy you can be. Ive done afew rounds where i saw no other team till the last few blocks. You dont burn lives if you dont fight anybody.

i personally think encouraging "stealth" gameplay makes matches pretty dumb

On 6/21/2019 at 2:12 AM, Glaciers said:

hide and seek simulator: reloaded

[footage courtesy of tizzie]

thanks so much for this epic game mode little orbit lmao

15 hours ago, Hypothesis said:

What was point of releasing new JMB when the gun balance is broken? 

Because it was already announced last year that a new car and a new gun or two would be added.

there was also an attempt at gun balancing back then as well but Little Orbit was not experienced enough yet for that.

10 hours ago, Thial said:

First the plans were to finish the engine until the end of 2018.

Then the new engine was supposed to be tested by the SPCT in February and then available to the public for testing.

Now June is almost over and god knows when we will get it. Maybe not even until 2020.

But SPCT have been testing it and someone suggested that it is not ready yet for public testing.

I forget who exactly suggested that so you would need to ask SPCT about that.

8 hours ago, Seedy said:

I think RIOT should be an occasional thing

I believe rotating different modes in and out would be best for now given our small player base needs to grow first before anything is permanent.

7 hours ago, ZoriaDunne said:

How about you actually listen to community and make Turfwar game mode like on Planetside?

The community only asked for new content. i do not recall anyone being specific until a week or so ago.

16 hours ago, iTzBlackout said:

16 hours ago, iTzBlackout said:

After I finished the contact I got my first daily activity and I was really surprised by the rewards. It's just a 5 day lease but still you can get some "unique" weapons like the 3 slotted Cap40 or the DOW Stock which you cannot get anywhere else. (Don't forget the cool weapon skin)

I didn't even bother to check for activities, i thought it was just a small dose of JT's every day. I'm currently having SMG challenge going, what options are there besides 3 slotted Cap40?

Edited by xHenryman90x

I'm happy that you guys are looking into this, communicating honestly and being transparent.

While I haven't been looking into all the other feedback people have sent, is there any plans to do some form of advertising for this? While I hear some players are waiting for the Engine update to come out, I feel some people just aren't aware of this update at all. I'm no Yes-Man, but I quite enjoyed the one round of this that I was able to play, but was sad to see it die out on my server after a few days.

Looking forward to future updates.

Thanks for the statement. Keep it going guys ^^

Edited by TAMAGOTSCHII

5 hours ago, xHenryman90x said:

I didn't even bother to check for activities, i thought it was just a small dose of JT's every day. I'm currently having SMG challenge going, what options are there besides 3 slotted Cap40?

On 6/21/2019 at 10:27 PM, MattScott said:

Next, here are some interesting stats for the first week:

- RIOT was played 4x more on Citadel than on Jericho due to low population issues starting the mode

- Fight Club ran 2.2x more matches than RIOT during the same week on Jericho, but 92%+ of accounts playing FC also played RIOT

- Fight Club ran 1.2x more matches than RIOT during the same week on Citadel, but we saw 1.5x more accounts in RIOT than FC

- ~40% of the active player base during the week played RIOT at least once

Sure the stats seem like players had interest in playing Riot, but you must understand a lot played it just because of the reward. I already heard some say the grind in Riot is over, i got my skin now i am never going to play Riot again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I resume my question FOURTH time about groupings. (Second time in the same thread too since I obviously got ignored)

Will you make sure that groups don't form team in RIOT matches or you never plan this at all?

What is so hard to answer in that question, @MattScott or... @Lixil?

3 hours ago, DeadPixels said:

Sure the stats seem like players had interest in playing Riot, but you must understand a lot played it just because of the reward. I already heard some say the grind in Riot is over, i got my skin now i am never going to play Riot again. 

Exactly right.
Plus, it was a new game mode, so naturally people are going to try it. Hell, even I played it....once.

The active player base is also only about 470 players currently (half of what it was when LO took over). so 40% of that is a measly 190 people. That's another interesting stat.