MattScott

The plan to fix the lag

If nothing else, every single time you guys post on the forums to update us, and every time you do so with such blatant and humble honesty, my faith and appreciation in your company goes up dramatically. 

I hope what you're saying does work, but if it doesn't I'm happy that you're trying so hard.

PLEASE continue what you're doing now and keep us updated. Seriously, I want clingy-significant-other levels of communication. Ya'll ROCK! 😄

• Like 2

Thank you Matt and Team for the efforts you guys are making to make APB a great game again!

It's incredible how just written information gives such a boost and rises the morale of individuals. Reading the news about upcoming features, watching the Q&A stream, just these gave me such a desire to come back to the game! I can't even imagine when you guys start posting Sneak peeks about the updates on the Game engine, videos etc. People will go mad of so much happiness!!

----

My (obvious) advice would be: letting players know what's going on is totally fine, but please, do not let any "critical" info slip thru the cracks, otherwise DDoS tards will use it to try to counter your countermeasures.

ALL PRAISE LITTLE ORBIT

Sunpraise.png

Edited by Poperon
  • Like 1

Thank you for the communication & transparency.

Thanks again for your transparency and the will to actively tackle issues the community is struggling with.

Now I think of it even the DDOS attacks causing poor server performance used to be just community generated discussion, because the old staff at Reloaded literally never communicated about it.

Really appreciated @MattScott, cheers!

• Like 1

This is great. Thanks for the update Matt.

Is APB really going to live thrive? It feels almost like a dream.

Hi Matt,

I sincerely hope what you're testing out is going to work. Again if it doesn't I'm just happy that you're letting  us know what's going on, and taking the responsibility for everything. :) 

Take care

Sincerely

Synapze777

Im really shocked by the honesty and transparancy regarding all this. Thank you Matt. Keep it up! 

You really don't see this type of mentality coming out of anyone from G1. It's somewhat of a proof that LO will lead APB into a better future.

Very nice. Hope you won't stop with server lag and FPS lag will be addressed in upcoming future.

Thank you Mr.Scott , You're the Hero this game Needs right now !

On 5/30/2018 at 2:55 PM, LAPDAlonso said:

Well hopefully summer, who knows. This game is very boring , so i haven't been playing it  for the moment. Just enjoying other games. APB has a long road ahead of them. Hope things work out.

I see some very poor decision making happening lol, but overall i do hope they get the engine upgrade up and running for the PC and add a proper threat system so we can enjoy the game a bit more.

cheers.

If the game is bring now, it'll be boring later.

The engine update won't change the game. It'll just make it more streamlined and easier to modify.

The core of the game will be the same.

Mr. Scott, I look forward to your work in the coming months ahead.

Can't wait to see what you'll do.

Edited by BartMcRoy
type

On 5/30/2018 at 11:48 PM, BXNNXD said:

iirc theres only 2 systems left that arent completely migrated to 3.5, but they are "major systems"

I bet one is the engine, the other is the upgrade. 😉

On a more serious note: I think they never showed us an upgrade customisation studio and only had preset characters in the demo footage. Wouldn't surprise me if this is still in the works and quite a major undertaking.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Revoluzzer said:

I bet one is the engine, the other is the upgrade. 😉

On a more serious note: I think they never showed us an upgrade customisation studio and only had preset characters in the demo footage. Wouldn't surprise me if this is still in the works and quite a major undertaking.

we've got ourselves a wiseguy

but yeah he said the customization was one of the systems, since its custom built from the ground up - cant recall what the other system was

On 5/30/2018 at 10:15 AM, MattScott said:

Hi everyone,

Several posts around the forums have mentioned network issues and especially bad lag over the weekend, so I thought I would address this publicly.

First, I don't want to get in the habit of blaming "DDOS attacks" every time there is a problem. Sometimes that's the case. And sometimes it's not. It's important that G1 and LO be honest with the community when we mess up, and when our systems are being effected by external factors. 

We did get an especially heavy DDOS attack on Friday a few hours after the Q&A that took a bit to recover from. We switched on mitigation, and we were able to weather the storm. While we are on mitigation, our servers simply do not perform well. However, the attacked caused a side effect issue where some servers were "up" but disconnected from each other in a way that prevented new districts from spinning up and existing districts from responding. It took the better part of the weekend for us to both discover and resolve all of these issues.

Simply put, the initial lag was out of our control, and we have been on mitigation ever since which creates lag, but we also messed up and made the situation worse over the weekend. Please accept my apologies. We're a little new a this.

Second, we take this game and our players very seriously. An apology would be meaningless if we didn't describe how we are going to fix the issues. So here is how we're moving forward.

• We now have a new DDOS solution that is being tested, and if we find that the results are solid, then the new solution will all but eliminate the kind of lag caused by the existing mitigation solution. I'm already sick and tired of talking about how DDOS mitigation causes lag. I never want that to be an excuse for laggy servers again.
  • We did some brainstorming, and we started on some new networking layer changes that will help with DDOS vulnerabilities. These sorts of changes need to be thoroughly tested, but we are committed to making this more difficult.
  • We have provisioned several new servers. The player concurrency has doubled since we took over, and we are expanding our ability to host districts and provide a smoother in-game experience.
  • We are altering our monitoring to not only determine whether servers are up, but also whether they care actively increasing their concurrent player count and other important metrics that let us know things are running correctly.

Thanks,
Matt

Hello about the greatest way you can help. I don't know what to do if the clear answer is a personal question

Am i wrong but shouldn't the unreal engine upgrade from 3.5+ Version should increase LESS LAG and Better Improved Performance to have more compatibility with our current hardware as far as GPU past 2015. I Play games with 100 slot servers on the UNREAL Engine 4.19 with 70 + FPS and no lag and the graphics are insanely good. Better than Battlefield 1 graphics? 

Hey Matt, back in the day the APB districts could handle a 50v50 server meaning a total of 100 players per dist. If we can restore that number it will lead to more balanced matchmaking (allbeit tiny) and less total districts spawned. A higher count means more opportunity for players to be able to join a pop dist with friends and play togeather.