Hollowchick

I kinda hoped for more progress

wHy HaSnT oRbiT mAdE aPb iNtO a SuCcEsSfUL tRiPLe A gAmE iN fOuR mOnThS

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, GhosT said:

Keep in mind that APB is one huge junk code, and once you add something, 3 other things breaks. If you fix them, more things break.
They've already done way more than G1 did the last 4 years or so.

They're not fast, but at least they're doing something.
Though they need to hurry up, APB is losing its playerbase more and more every month.

This is the entirety of my Doom WAD experience. Code can cause headaches. Especially if someone new is taking on someones old code.

Oh well, hopefully something good will come of it.

Anyone hoping the game would be further along by now, just because another company purchased it, clearly knows nothing about game development.

The coding for APB was a complete mess when G1 purchased it. They struggled to clean it up, and made a larger mess in the process.
LO has a very large task in front of them and its going to take some time and patience.

LO has already proven themselves to care more for their community than G1 even attempted.
They are keeping us informed while working hard to clean up a mess that two previous companies created.
Grow some patience. Game development takes time.

So quit your millennial "i've played APB for a long time so LO owes me something" snowflake garbage, and just be glad we finally have a company that is passionate about the project and not the money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BXNNXD said:

wHy HaSnT oRbiT mAdE aPb iNtO a SuCcEsSfUL tRiPLe A gAmE iN fOuR mOnThS

Yes, that was precisely my question. I didn't legitimately ask you for what has changed in the last 4 months but asked why this game hasn't gotten a bajillion users by now.
Fricking genius is what you are.
31 minutes ago, Stillbourne said:

So quit your millennial "i've played APB for a long time so LO owes me something" snowflake garbage, and just be glad we finally have a company that is passionate about the project and not the money.

Jesus christ you feel like you've burned a quran for asking a simple question. I've never said anything you are throwing at me. Classic case of "read forum topic and take a dump in the comment section". I asked legitimately and pretty neutral about what changes have occured during my stay away from the game and get greeted by a bunch of kids with a stick up their a-hole talking about how I am a freaking smart and a special snowflake garbage for asking such a question.
Like calm down guys, I didn't kill your prophet, I was asking. Edited by Hollowchick

7 hours ago, Hollowchick said:

they only improved small things, not the major chunks of problems this game has

fact

Can anybody quickly run down for me what LO actually did in the last 4 months?

u didn't miss anything besides more ddos attacks and bad weapon changes

It looked promising when they acquired G1 but I've kind of remained skeptic to begin with

same Edited by TheMessiah

7 hours ago, GhosT said:

Keep in mind that APB is one huge junk code, and once you add something, 3 other things breaks. If you fix them, more things break.
They've already done way more than G1 did the last 4 years or so.

They're not fast, but at least they're doing something.
Though they need to hurry up, APB is losing its playerbase more and more every month.

In the time it is taking for all that to be "fixed" since G1 promises of the engine upgrade, the community could have already created a new better APB 2.0 with stable servers and large playerbase if only they were given the freedom to.

7 hours ago, Mitne said:

Excuse me. They do "nothing"?
Trade system, weapon rebalance and right now they are working on UE 3.5.
Not even telling about Matt actually addressing PEOPLE NEEDS.
Current stop is probably dictated by mess which weapon balance caused and incoming Halloween.

While G1 had time for YEARS, not MONTHS and was obviously slacking off in every area possible.
No bugs were patched despite a lot of posts about them, no actions were taken about cheaters, weapon were not balanced for YEARS, trade system? Forget it. On top of their controversal withdrawal support for middleman after that.

This guys actually done more in months than G1 done in last 4 YEARS. And LO is much smaller company than G1 was.

I seriously doubt this game will be success sure, but that will be mainly playerbase fault now.
You guys probably remember me as G1 huge critic. There were multiple reasons for that.
With LO I see some progress. Sure it's not instant and in all areas you want - but you need to get used that small company have less resources to spare.

Preach
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hollowchick said:

I asked legitimately and pretty neutral about what changes have occured during my stay away from the game and get greeted by a bunch of kids with a stick up their a-hole talking about how I am a freaking smart and a special snowflake garbage for asking such a question.

it wasn’t neutral at all seeing as how you clearly implied orbit has done nothing

a 10 second glance at the blog would have answered your question just fine, but you felt the need to be the thousandth “orbit is just like g1” nerd instead, and then wonder why people mock you
  • Like 4

I think a more appropriate thread would've been to ask for more frequent information updates, especially regarding Unreal 3.5.
LO is trying unlike G1, but information updates on where they are in their projects, what they're facing and such would be very welcome.

9 hours ago, Hollowchick said:

"instead it looks like we are back to G1 standards of literally not progressing at all."

All you did was ask whats been done eh?

LO has already progressed more in the past 3 months than G1 did in the past 3 years.
Absolutely everything they have done has been posted on the forums.
For you to ask whats been done is simply lazy on your part.
Had you not been so lazy, you would have easily answered your own question and you wouldn't have needed to insult LO by comparing APB's progression to G1's standards.

So please spare us the #metoo attitude.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Hollowchick said:

Sooo due to health related shit I've not been able to follow this game for a good 4 months or so, I stopped being able to do so around the time they introduced Battleye.
I came back to this forum in the hopes of finding some noteworthy progress, instead it looks like we are back to G1 standards of literally not progressing at all.
I was hoping during that time that they may have the engine update ready but from what I could gather they only improved small things, not the major chunks of problems this game has.

Can anybody quickly run down for me what LO actually did in the last 4 months? It looked promising when they acquired G1 but I've kind of remained skeptic to begin with.

programming doesn't happen overnight. they have to rebuild parts of APB for 3.5 and make it work. that means getting bugs out so it can run.
most games from scratch take 3 years of development to 5 years.
having an engine upgrade scheduled by the end of the year isn't bad considering its  from 1.0 to 3.5.
in case anyone doesn't know.... the people who made the unreal engine 1.0 also have trouble with it.  its a complete mess.

I forget all the details of what was done.

Some of it however was lowering the cost of g1c , reworking the balance of guns , an update to the main site since a new game was added , dealing with a lot of DDoS attacks from haters ,
A server part went out and they salvaged it as well.
Then there's the support tickets that they started to make headway on.
Voip went down so they also had to contact that company to get it back up and running.

I can't find the updates on what they did or i'd point you to those threads. sorry.
I know there was quite a bit more than just this.
They have been working there's just a lot to do so the engine time frame is scheduled to be completed to 3.5 by the end of the year of nothing sets them back.

Edit : everyone please go easier on the op
They weer not here to recover from G1 like we all were.
please see it from their view as well.....
I mean its kinda like coming out of a coma....
youd still be a kid in a grown up body its pretty traumatizing.
Be more gentle and teach them please.
And keep in mind I cant find the threads and looked so the o probably couldnt find them either.
can someone link them ?

Edited by Fortune Runner

6 hours ago, Stillbourne said:

All you did was ask whats been done eh?

LO has already progressed more in the past 3 months than G1 did in the past 3 years.
Absolutely everything they have done has been posted on the forums.
For you to ask whats been done is simply lazy on your part.
Had you not been so lazy, you would have easily answered your own question and you wouldn't have needed to insult LO by comparing APB's progression to G1's standards.

So please spare us the #metoo attitude.

specify specifically, give me the data, links, show me the dynamics of improving the gameplay .   

Edited by Yood

6 hours ago, Fortune Runner said:

programming doesn't happen overnight. they have to rebuild parts of APB for 3.5 and make it work. that means getting bugs out so it can run.
most games from scratch take 3 years of development to 5 years.
having an engine upgrade scheduled by the end of the year isn't bad considering its  from 1.0 to 3.5.
in case anyone doesn't know.... the people who made the unreal engine 1.0 also have trouble with it.  its a complete mess.

APB isn't running on Unreal 1.0 but on a beta version of Unreal 3.0. It lacks quite some functionality and mechanics that were available in Unreal 3.0, so you can basically say it's a glorified Unreal 2.0.

What couldn't be done in Engine-native language was made up with custom coding from RTW.

Also LO is continuing where Reloaded Productions left off.

Matthew even stated that one of the few things left on the way are 2 large systems that need to be ported in one of the blog posts. If this takes another 2 years it'd be very unreasonably long, so I hope Little Orbit manages to stick to their schedule.

Just now, Haganu said:

APB isn't running on Unreal 1.0 but on a beta version of Unreal 3.0

where was this posted?

edit : I don't know about that yet I was always told on here APB was on 1.0  so perhaps one of the Little Orbit staff or MattScott can say in detail bout this. That way there's no doubts.

Edited by Fortune Runner

1 minute ago, Fortune Runner said:

where was this posted?

On the old forums, plentifully.

And in the blogposts of October 2013.

As those who have followed us for the last few years know, APB Reloaded uses Unreal 3 version 2007 and 2008 as its primary game engine (basically the version of the engine used by the original Unreal Tournament 3 that came out in 2008). 

Link to source: https://apbreloaded.gamersfirst.com/2013/10/colliding-with-gta-v-train-and-getting.html.

Honestly I'd rather Little Orbit made less "progress" until they have had time to fully familiarise themselves with the game, not only on the technical side but also from a gameplay standpoint aswell.

I strongly suspect that the mistakes they have made since taking over are largely due to them feeling under pressure from the community to make a bunch of changes to show that they were doing something,  doing something/anything is sometimes worse than doing nothing at all, this is painfully obvious from looking at the changes they made to shotguns/IR3 etc.

Give them some space and stop demanding stuff, game development is hard and from reading the comments on this forum most of you seem to have very little idea of just how difficult it can be.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Haganu said:

On the old forums, plentifully.

And in the blogposts of October 2013.

the old forums also said 1.0 which is why i thought it was 1.0

thanks for the link good to know.

still a fossil and a lot of work though.

Just now, TheDogCatcher said:

Honestly I'd rather Little Orbit made less "progress" until they have had time to fully familiarise themselves with the game, not only on the technical side but also from a gameplay standpoint aswell.

I strongly suspect that the mistakes they have made since taking over are largely due to them feeling under pressure from the community to make a bunch of changes to show that they were doing something,  doing something/anything is sometimes worse than doing nothing at all, this is painfully obvious from looking at the changes they made to shotguns/IR3 etc.

Give them some space and stop demanding stuff, game development is hard and from reading the comments on this forum most of you seem to have very little idea of just how difficult it can be.

I hope so too. they need room to breathe.

LO purchased a game that was in an iron lung. They must have really felt that they knew exactly what to do to save it, because that's a risky investment and the last 30 days the peak has been 550 players. I believe they are working really hard. I believe they will launch the new engine for testing somewhere around start of the new year. Then at the real release it needs to be stable enough to not only maintain but for the first time expand the playerbase or I doubt it'll be worth the investment (still wanna know how much they paid for it). That's the last chance for this game. I mean, it has to be really good to do that, and that will be the one chance they have where it will be decided because: They know what kinda names they can bring in, in terms of streamers. That's what would make it happen. So when the engine upgrade is actually released live (not OTW), it has to be working really well. Like, that's their big shot, and it has to be really ready for that. Bugs and glitches have to go, things have to be balanced, smooth, optimized and have a good feel, or it'll fail. This game has potential like few other games. There's nothing else really like it. If they succeed they'll have something people will play and there won't be much competition in the genre because it'll kinda be almost its own genre. But it all comes down to what happens within the next months or so because nobody is going to give this game another chance after LO. It's already a lesser miracle that anyone was crazy determined enough to pick it up. It wont happen again. 

Edited by SilverCrow

17 hours ago, Fortune Runner said:

the old forums also said 1.0 which is why i thought it was 1.0

thanks for the link good to know.

still a fossil and a lot of work though.

I hope so too. they need room to breathe.

I've never heard anyone say that APB was on Unreal 1.0 and I've pretty much lived on these forums for the past few years.  Just to put it in perspective of what games ran on which engines, Unreal (1998) and Deus Ex (2000) ran on UE1.  Bioshock(2007) and the first Killing Floor(2009) were both late UE2 games.  APB was on an early beta version of UE3, then Bioshock Infinite (2013), Killing Floor 2 (2016), and every Gears of War title (2006-2013) were all UE3 games.  The engine we're upgrading to is the post-Gears of War 3 version of Unreal.  But you're definitely right about it being a fossil and a lot of work.

On 10/9/2018 at 3:59 PM, Stillbourne said:

Expect that kind of answer for every thread asking about progress.

Its like some copypasted shinny white armor with a radio set in replay inside.

ps: even moderation seems like really agressive lately (personal level, like before), taking a good turn on things ;D

Edited by Excalibur!

6 minutes ago, Excalibur! said:

Expect that kind of answer for every thread asking about progress.

Its like some copypasted shinny white armor with a radio set in replay inside.

I know interacting with you is a mistake, but I'll try. I'm going to ask you a question, which will only have two answers. Please answer the question without going on a tangent.

Would you A) prefer the approach G1 had, which was lying to us about how much progress they've made, when in actual fact God knows what they were doing, or B) the approach LO has, with them telling us what they plan to do, and then them carrying it out, albeit them sometimes missing the mark, and at other times, a uncomfortable silence

There are only two options I've given you to use as an answer: A or B. Surely you can't mess this up. I look forward to your response

13 minutes ago, Weeb TheEpicGuyV2 said:

There are only two options I've given you to use as an answer: A or B. Surely you can't mess this up.

inb4 he veers off on some "its not that straightforward a comparison" tangent

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1