Hey LO staff. I know from the Q&A we are looking forward to the update the Unreal 3.5 in the next few months. But are there any changes being made hardware wise to the servers? Updating to new servers and latest hardware? I had doubts that G1 had done anything on that front for a while. Just curious. Some nights the lag was pretty bad.    

• Like 1

Yea we need a good server.

This lag is horrible.

Its too Lagy to play.

Don't worry we can improve performance by going 35vs35. Should solve the issue 😈

Back in 2015 or 16 they downgraded their servers and software and went with a new ISP. Since then the servers went from handing 50vs50 to barely supporting 40vs40 during the slow time of the night. Going off of that id say the servers def need replacement. Getting a new ISP might also help with the DDOS issue as it would be a completely new IP, MAC address, modem etc etc and the party responsible would have to retrace everything to regain access to the game which would give IO time to backtrace them.

How about we shove all the servers, except for the Russians, into 1 server and make 1 district only, that should improve performance :)))))))))

1 hour ago, MoeEveryWeek said:

How about we shove all the servers, except for the Russians, into 1 server and make 1 district only, that should improve performance :)))))))))

look, if you're shoving around server equipment, maybe you might not be as qualified as you think you might be on the subject.

If LO fix this lag and BAN cheaters I will gladly buy some Armas stuff.

Pretty sure the current issues are not the server related but ddos related.

That's been the issue the last 1/1½ years.

Edited by Tobii

1 hour ago, Tobii said:

Regardless, having better server hardware does help the server's tickrate or framerate to stabilize.

"As a general rule, we want the server to perform a full pass of computations for all the 100 players and 18,000+ district actors 30 times per second (giving each CPU core at most 33ms to complete all computations in that one frame). If we achieve 30 FPS on the server, then connected game clients can easily run at 2X-3X the server tick rate (60FPS - 90FPS) without any noticeable loss in accuracy. At 1:2 or 1:3 server-to-client ratio movement prediction and frame-interpolation provide a very smooth game experience. "

https://apbreloaded.gamersfirst.com/2013/02/optimization-magic.html

Right now it seems like most gaming systems can reach much higher framerate, so having a higher tick would help in increasing this server-client ratio prediction and gameplay.

31 minutes ago, KyoukiDotExe said:

Regardless, having better server hardware does help the server's tickrate or framerate to stabilize.

"As a general rule, we want the server to perform a full pass of computations for all the 100 players and 18,000+ district actors 30 times per second (giving each CPU core at most 33ms to complete all computations in that one frame). If we achieve 30 FPS on the server, then connected game clients can easily run at 2X-3X the server tick rate (60FPS - 90FPS) without any noticeable loss in accuracy. At 1:2 or 1:3 server-to-client ratio movement prediction and frame-interpolation provide a very smooth game experience. "

https://apbreloaded.gamersfirst.com/2013/02/optimization-magic.html

Right now it seems like most gaming systems can reach much higher framerate, so having a higher tick would help in increasing this server-client ratio prediction and gameplay.

Of course having better hardware will improve such things.

But that still doesn't matter if they are being hammered all the time.

For what APB is, the tickrate isn't even that bad.

17 minutes ago, Tobii said:

Of course having better hardware will improve such things.

But that still doesn't matter if they are being hammered all the time.

For what APB is, the tickrate isn't even that bad.

What I am curious about is what it feels like to play on higher framerate, and higher ticks.

I wonder if they can completely stop the DDoS attacks... Would help us all, whoever DDoS is an idiot as it barely does anything but annoy.

37 minutes ago, KyoukiDotExe said:

What I am curious about is what it feels like to play on higher framerate, and higher ticks.

I wonder if they can completely stop the DDoS attacks... Would help us all, whoever DDoS is an idiot as it barely does anything but annoy.

It does more than annoy.

People can't play the game, and it'll cost the company money.

19 hours ago, Tobii said:

It does more than annoy.

People can't play the game, and it'll cost the company money.

Exactly. Also I wanted to add to better server hardware also allows the district to have higher player counts where it helps with getting more matchs for people.

4 minutes ago, KyoukiDotExe said:

Exactly. Also I wanted to add to better server hardware also allows the district to have higher player counts where it helps with getting more matchs for people.

I'm sure tobii will disagree with me when I say that the reason the ddos is so bad is BECAUSE of the server hardware.

1 minute ago, Puffdragon said:

I'm sure tobii will disagree with me when I say that the reason the ddos is so bad is BECAUSE of the server hardware.

DDoS methods are very complex to properly combat there all; epically if it starts costing money. But it's been way better then before when G1 still was in control, the ingame latency doesn't seem to suffer that much lately.

2 minutes ago, KyoukiDotExe said:

DDoS methods are very complex to properly combat there all; epically if it starts costing money. But it's been way better then before when G1 still was in control, the ingame latency doesn't seem to suffer that much lately.

Anybody can ddos, what matters is the botnet behind it. If the system is a crappy system, it will be easy to ddos, what do I know though.

Edited by Puffdragon

On 5/28/2018 at 1:01 AM, Tobii said:

agreed

most of the horrible lag we have had was from DDoS attacks

rest was from terrible internet

Remember that time when they said we will have 60/60 districts with "Overkill" hardware? Here we are with 40/40 districts...