MattScott

End of Year Update ("Showvember")

Hi everyone,

We're calling this an End of Year Update or "Showvember" to be cute, but it's really just a long overdue update on the game. https://www.gamersfirst.com/apb/news/2023/11/17/end-of-the-year-update

There wasn't really space in the blog to get into more details, so I'll also be on Twitch to talk and answer more questions. Tuesday Nov 21 - 7pm UTC / 11am PST. https://www.twitch.tv/littleorbit

Thanks,
Matt

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

Too little too late.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

too little, too late.

Can't wait for the 2024 roadmap of dreams!

Edited by proxie
  • Like 3

Maybe a stupid question, on the MM/ Cross district.

Does this mean Within the 'World' such as NA, or are we talking

a quasi merge of NA and EU, to where a Match could include players

from NA or EU in the same mission?

And if so, what would the latency be and what is being done to limit it?

If Threat is not displayed, then what parameters is MM using to Match 

players of similar Threat/Skill?

What does this mean for the achievements of getting Gold?

On the cynical side, Does this mean instead of fighting 'Golds as a Bronzie, 

that they will be 'Shadow Golds' ?

Like they wont show any threat unless you Inspect' them? 

3 hours ago, MattScott said:

There wasn't really space in the blog to get into more details

my brother in christ you own the website, the blog post can be as long as you want it to be

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MattScott said:

Thanks,
Matt

-In our opinion, we can upgrade graphics, add content, and try to address lots of other issues in APB Reloaded, but none of that matters if players get terrible matches.

-a publishing partner who failed to pay us for a year’s worth of work

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKjbjVjOkRO-g6yREX3VM

For the ones know that "thing" of image above... Yes nothing new, Indeed sigh...

How exactly will the "world server" help the matchmaking ? Considering all the good players will still group together and will not team with the new players ?? You cant say that it will have more of a pool to pull from. Simply because when we had 2000 people on a server to pull from, we had the same issue.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Y2Venom said:

How exactly will the "world server" help the matchmaking ? Considering all the good players will still group together and will not team with the new players ?? You cant say that it will have more of a pool to pull from. Simply because when we had 2000 people on a server to pull from, we had the same issue.

There are only 100 people in a district. That means you only have a potential 100, if they're all not in a mission.

did i miss something or did that post barely anwser anything what so ever

20 minutes ago, cowhorseman said:

did i miss something or did that post barely anwser anything what so ever

A lot of the answers will be on Twitch according to the post.

like others have said, too little too late but on the plus side gta 6 gets a trailer next month so thats something to look forward to 🙂

so I'll also be on Twitch to talk and answer more questions. Tuesday Nov 21 

upload to yt also pls

Edited by TheMessiah

1 hour ago, Sophiie said:

There are only 100 people in a district. That means you only have a potential 100, if they're all not in a mission.

It wont make much of a difference. There are only 300+ players. 50% are cheating and 50% are grouping together. Until premades are abandoned matchmaking wont work.

matchmaking only matters when you have players to fill the matchmaking pool. why would anyone come back to a game that hasn't had a significant content update in years.

7 hours ago, MattScott said:

Hi everyone,

We're calling this an End of Year Update or "Showvember" to be cute, but it's really just a long overdue update on the game. https://www.gamersfirst.com/apb/news/2023/11/17/end-of-the-year-update

There wasn't really space in the blog to get into more details, so I'll also be on Twitch to talk and answer more questions. Tuesday Nov 21 - 7pm UTC / 11am PST. https://www.twitch.tv/littleorbit

Thanks,
Matt

Thanks for everything Matt, I look forward to the stream. ❤️

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MACKxBOLAN said:

Maybe a stupid question, on the MM/ Cross district.

Does this mean Within the 'World' such as NA, or are we talking

a quasi merge of NA and EU, to where a Match could include players

from NA or EU in the same mission?

And if so, what would the latency be and what is being done to limit it?

If Threat is not displayed, then what parameters is MM using to Match 

players of similar Threat/Skill?

What does this mean for the achievements of getting Gold?

On the cynical side, Does this mean instead of fighting 'Golds as a Bronzie, 

that they will be 'Shadow Golds' ?

Like they wont show any threat unless you Inspect' them? 

These are legitimately good questions for me to answer on the stream.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MonkaS said:

matchmaking only matters when you have players to fill the matchmaking pool. why would anyone come back to a game that hasn't had a significant content update in years.

You are 100% correct. But if we release content with terrible matchmaking, players won't come back either. So releasing matchmaking + new content is the goal.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, MattScott said:

You are 100% correct. But if we release content with terrible matchmaking, players won't come back either. So releasing matchmaking + new content is the goal.

New content requires employees to make you only have 1-1.5 devs. Do you guys even still have 3d/2d artists or animators or map designers on staff? How are you supposed to release new content on such an ancient game engine especially one that still uses such outdated tech like scaleform. Think about how long the on boarding process will take to get these ppl up to snuff to actually start working. How are you going to pay these ppl to do that work when you guys aren't really making any money except on small projects that game devs/publishers sub contract out to you? what's the plan when these steps don't revive the game because the game is so old no one wants to come back? how is apb 2 supposed to happen when you sold the apb ip to unit game? sorry if you can't elaborate but honestly these are very real questions you should be asking yourself. 

Edited by MonkaS
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Step 2 leverages the logic at the World server to allow for Cross District matchmaking with the ability to aggregate players across any District server to move them all onto a single District server for their match. In this Phase, players can join any district and threat is removed. All of that is used behind the scenes during matchmaking. It also means friends can play with friends anywhere they want - even Social - while they queue for matches.

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I have severely mixed feelings on this. I understand the intent: Allowing for more people to get into more matches, but it feels like this will kill the spirit of the game. Part of the magic of APB, for me at least, has been the quasi-open world nature of the game. Everyone exists on the map at all times. This makes the city feel like it lives and breathes in a way that a lot of other games fail to capture. Now, it is undeniable that this leads to problems like people taking dump-trucks and ramming cars around or blocking off streets with massive piles of stolen vehicles, but I think that there are more elegant and focused solutions to those problems that don't affect the feel of the game as a whole.

Going back to having everyone existing on the same map, I've made a number of friends by noticing someone on a mission had a cool outfit that I liked. So I sent them a message saying that I liked their outfit, followed up by a friend request when their mission was done or they were otherwise not in a gunfight for a minute. It was nice. These changes feel like they'll cripple this social aspect of the game, because who would I see anymore? The ability to queue for games in the social district means that there's basically no reason to ever leave it. It also means that if I'm playing with a group of friends I can't go and be AFK for a moment by hopping over to the social district, because if I can queue or be queued for games in that district, I can never get up for a moment and allow the rest of my group to keep playing.

Not to mention that if you're not running on a powerful computer + high speed internet that can handle loading and reloading into districts all the time, your enjoyment of the game is going to plummet.

I agree with removing threat, as it's become an extensively problematic aspect of the game that is only used to support elitism and generally toxic behavior. One of the big reasons why I stopped playing is that I would get into a mission and immediately have teammates start leaving, either because they were gold and didn't want to play with a silver/bronze, or they were silver/bronze and wanted a team of golds to carry them to gold, and so on and so forth. At the end of the day, it's something that personally should've been gone long ago.

But, for the main point, I understand why Cross-District Matchmaking is appealing, but I worry about it killing the social aspect of APB, the living city aspect of APB, and making APB feel more like every other lobby-based shooter. I'm sure there's tons of things that I don't know about because I'm not a designer, but this is a strong aspect of APB that I am severely worried about being erased. Why bother customizing my character or my car if nobody's going to passively see it? 

I beg of you, Little Orbit: Consider letting people matchmake from anywhere carefully. I don't want to have two-thirds of what makes APB special deleted because the population's a bit low.

P.S. because I don't know where to put this: Fight Club might be a fun aspect of the game, but please don't turn the entire game into Fight Club with CDMM.

• Like 3

sorry for your loss and everything i can understand that but i think its about time to either pull the plug and stop giving everyone empty promises or, just sell the damn game to a company that actually have the professionalism and the knowledge to both handle the game and the garbage community that comes with including me! you guys already proved it that g1 wasnt any worse than LO! the closet cheating is just out of control,the support doesnt give a damn about player report with hard evidences in front of their eyes etc etc.... also configs are still a thing i dont even know how can a company allow players to modify the files of a multiplayer game??? do you think a matchmaking change and black friday deal on armas is the solution?? excuse me? you cant fix a matchmaking when is literally no players to matchmake! i dont know Matt if you are even real or just an AI generated person on a fake webcam but you have 0 clue about what APB needs! definetly not your empty promises and endless excuses! sorry if you find it personal or abusive what i am saying,please feel free to remove my comment MODS just like you guys did on my previous comments on another topic for no reason 🙂 sorry for not simping hard for LO i do apologise in advance! 

• Thanks 2

But if we release content with terrible matchmaking, players won't come back either.

U guys must think about "challenge to a match" option if its possible to make.Like for example: ur silver in group with gold and u must be able to challenge same type of group-if available-to a match.Such thing can solve a lot of headaches..

Edited by TheMessiah

I'm skeptical that APB will ever make any sort of return. I feel like it's far "too little, too late."

Though, I do hope it makes a come back. To this day, APB has some fantastic features and concepts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MattScott said:

tumblr_nnmqp0ROzD1ql5yr7o1_500.gif

That's Bonkers... At this point anyone here can only come to the conlusion you are just trying recreate the same LOOP- HOLE of these last ages using as excuses this last "update" for milking the gamers and smart the expire date of APB reloaded.

The game is old, it was close at this limit 5 years ago and already something to be classified old 5 years ago, spending money, time and efforts Now for something we'll see after other years at this point it has no sense at all, it's so U N R E A L S T I C and anyway ....

• If it was true you wanted to created new contenets for the game at bare minimum, We've may have had seen people like @Ellix of Project MidTown or some devs worked for Project Pheonix or Nekrova like  @BrandonBranderson joining and be  in your paycheck.

Please Be Realistc, Be H O N E ST stop playing the crafty fox and excuse for scamming with bs speechs us old players, People aren't stupid, it's clear there havent been new contenent and there will be not no contenent now or later now it's has no sense nor potential for being profitable enough.. at least contents surely worthy enough like new maps, new missions etc

Edited by PingOVER9000
Players may already how much you care for the game... with all the cheaters in districts and Youtube where the only people making videos about APB are HACKERS SELLING CHEATS :( .. lmao enough