Nerf N-HVR?  

245 members have voted

1. 1. Should they nerf or buff the N-HVR?

im sure we can create more and more elaborate hypotheticals all day to justify our balance opinions

the obir drops off pretty hard after about 80m iirc, and even at that point the burst fire makes the gun slightly inaccurate which can pretty easily tack on an extra burst or two to the stk

6 minutes ago, BXNNXD said:

im sure we can create more and more elaborate hypotheticals all day to justify our balance opinions

the obir drops off pretty hard after about 80m iirc, and even at that point the burst fire makes the gun slightly inaccurate which can pretty easily tack on an extra burst or two to the stk

Again, at what point would you be fighting at that distance with an OBIR unless you just spawn in the open, or are playing like an idiot?

You have to play with your team, depending on what the enemy has, and what you have. The player has the tools to alter the situation, a simple example would be using a pioneer for cover, that also has the ability for you to instantly enter the vehicle at any time, giving you a massive advantage.

In general, its pretty easy to counter the HVR. You need hypotheticals to justify a nerf, IMO. I've never had a problem with the HVR and i've played since 2012, nor has anyone I've played with. Sure there are the one-offs, but you really shouldn't be losing to one up close and at far, constantly, if you are playing properly.

Edited by Virgil

5 minutes ago, Zoehh said:

You both have teams. You both have access to more than one method of attack or defense. Try use brain. AuTvW.png

You're not immediately OP as soon as you equip an HVR-762. You can't 1v4 at any and every range. It has it's strengths and weaknesses just like any other gun.
It's the strongest single-shot (alpha damage) gun in the game. Can you exploit that for good effect? yeah. But it's also not too hard to counter as it has a low RoF, Long reload time, low ammo supply, horrendous movement speed, Terrible accuracy while moving at all, a forced bolt-animation before you can do ANYTHING else, etc.
There are many ways of countering this weapon, and there are many ways of countering other weapons. Do what you have to in the moment and try to break yourself out of the loop you've obviously fallen into. Meta is neat and all, but you can't restrict your thinking this much and expect to improve.

Who is talking about 1v4ing at any range???

The issue is that the HVR's weaknesses can easily be counteracted by using proper positioning and staying by cover. Everyone knows the gun shoots slow and has slow move speed, but this is APB, a TPS. You've had all this time to explain all these counters but you haven't given anything. People have given countless examples as to why the gun is busted but the opposing camp never gives a real counterargument except USE TEAMMATES. Wow. Who would've thought that outnumbering a weapon would beat it, but also ignoring that the HVR has teammates too. And it's funny cause HVR's effectiveness gets even more disgusting in team fights. 

• Like 1

I think the problem with HVR is not the damage at all i mean all games have snipers that hit so hard and sometimes 1 shot to the body to kill and since apb has no Headshots its ok to have such a sniper but the REAL issue with hvr is that its so easy to use and possible from all ranges since there is no bullet drop or a certain recoil to consider and the the accuracy is really high also the gun can be used in quickswitching so almost available in all situations so i think 

maybe if it require more skill to use or have somesort of scope instead of what we have atm ( it basicly should have the high maginification scope as a perm. Mod slot).

think messin with teh weapons is stupid an wrong.. unless u take out PGls an rockets..now they noob weapons!! im a sniper if u cant deal with it then dont play!

8 minutes ago, :^) said:

The issue is that the HVR's weaknesses can easily be counteracted by using proper positioning and staying by cover.

The issue is that the <ENTER WEAPON HERE>'s weaknesses can be easily countered by using proper positioning (placing yourself relevant to your enemy and the surrounding level with the role of your weapon in mind) and staying in cover(more particular to a little bit of that previous parenthetical statement).

This is pretty obvious. Many weapons benefit from vertical cover and corners. Since crouching is nearly instant, you can effectively shoot one shot at a time, by peaking up and recrouching, at a random pattern and never be hit. Try it some time with the Obeya FBW, it is fairly ridiculous. I'd blame many problems on that than the weapons themselves.

An actual problem is that the HVR is the true fallback weapon. If you manage to do somewhere around 20-50% of someone's health, no matter how much you are under by, and you manage to get some sort of obstacle between you and some dude, no matter how good they are and whatever they try to do other than stay in cover and throw a grenade, all you have to do is swap to your long rifle and hit one single shot. Chasing someone down only to have them retreat and equip the blunderbuss anti-tank rifle is demoralizing.

That is the real problem with this weapon. The combination of having just a fraction of damage on your enemy coupled with the way the game handles close-quarters means you have a bolt-action shotgun that might as well shoot 12.5mm incendiary rounds. It really only requires patience, since you don't need aim at this distance, and unless you will also die in one shot, you really don't need reaction time either, all you need to do is make sure that the guy pushing you is committed to his push to hit the only shot you need. I can't think of any other weapon that gains anywhere near advantage on enemies with so little damage already done to them.

But I don't think it should be changed, and I don't think that getting camped is somehow overpowered when specific weapons are used. Ever run down a hallway only to have some dork just blast away at the last second? Happens in every third person shooter. I think that you have a problem with just getting in a car and pushing the HVR. It really really works. Get out a bullet hose, get behind the wheel and lay down your lance on that archer. If you get caught out in the open or have to cross a street while he is in cover then just take the L and try to keep his position in mind next time.

Changing things up is just how you play this game.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Wireframes said:

I think that you have a problem with just getting in a car and pushing the HVR. It really really works. Get out a bullet hose, get behind the wheel and lay down your lance on that archer. If you get caught out in the open or have to cross a street while he is in cover then just take the L and try to keep his position in mind next time.

Well only a bad player would position themselves in a spot where they can be instantly accessed by a car. They're just basically asking to die at that point. Best bet is to just nade spam their corner if you plan to push them, but this is how the meta for the game has shifted to playing the game in general as we all know. 

26 minutes ago, :^) said:

Well only a bad player would position themselves in a spot where they can be instantly accessed by a car. They're just basically asking to die at that point. Best bet is to just nade spam their corner if you plan to push them, but this is how the meta for the game has shifted to playing the game in general as we all know. 

Not all places are ideal, sometimes the best spots are car-accessible. In fact, the vast majority of the game is either directly accessible with a car or very very close to where cars can get to.

Grenading enemy-held cover is how grenades work... in every video game and in reality since before the first World War. The only other time you throw anything directly at people are the 8balls and bricks, unless you went back in time to the Beta and one-shot people with concs. You could always throw just one grenade and push while they are running away from it. No one wants to eat those unless they know for a fact that they can eat you first. Even better if it made it there with some fuse time left, since even if they evade the blast they still have to wait for the grenade to explode before returning to their position, earning you some sweet seconds to run at 'em.

This is also something aimed at almost everyone else that doesn't have an HVR as well. From the STAR to the SHAW, any weapon that gains great accuracy from marksmanship mode can make great use of cover

Again, you don't have to do this, flanking really works in this game because you're in a city with block and blocks and blocks of open malls, alleyways, highway overpasses, wide open streets, warehouses, etc. This is how most HVR's get dabbed on. Not much you can do when some guy sticks an OCA in your spine and motorboats your soul into the respawn screen.

Also, the real meta of the game is about spawning, and getting your jerk friends and streamsnipers to block objectives with cars because collision scripting is really really hard somehow.

Edited by Wireframes
respawn screens are apb's version of oblvion
  • Like 1

I don't know you guys but if i wanted to kill with 1 hit i would pick opgl or osmaw.

or a car

nerf cars pls, they kill me 1 hit

Edited by Ken2

I think the issue lies in two areas for the HVR. Please keep in mind this is just my opinion.

The first is just how easy it is to completely cripple a target irrespective of range - in a game that's (mostly) about staying mobile having a gun that has the ability to remove your mobility entirely at ANY range really doesn't make sense, especially considering it can do this in one shot. I have no issues with snipers doing what they should be doing, camping a spot from draw-distance and keeping people off a point, the issue comes with the fact that they are still more than capable of doing this in close-quarters situations. Which brings me to the second point..

It's far too easy to be accurate with a sniper rifle in close quarters. The gun shouldn't even have a hipfire reticle in my opinion, it should have a function similar to HMS and the non-marksman accuracy should not change from borderline unusable unless you are ADSing.

As others have mentioned 3PS is also an issue, but in my opinion that's an issue with the modification itself being an upside to EVERY weapon. It also makes sense to use this on a weapon with a high equip time - again, changing non-marksman accuracy would mitigate this issue to a certain extent.

14 hours ago, MrM0dZ said:

people will rage about every sniper rifle in games,even COD people complain about because they get 1 shot killed from snipers.

snipers are supossed to have a HIGH damage,if they didn't have such damage people would simply use DMRs or assault rifles and the game wouldn't have people using different weapons.

Since they have a much lower fire rate the damage have a point to be there,osmaw used to fire instantly and people complained so they added a delay,now tell me 1 other game that has a rocket launcher that needs time before launching a rocket.

If you don't like HVR,just counter it,corner the guy using it or just don't expose yourself in the open.

git gud already

Sniper in waterfront tho...

After playing against people stacking HVR's, I am starting to get annoyed by them. That being said, I'm not 100% sure that nerfing a weapon just because multiple people are using them in one mission is a good idea. It sucks, sure, but if we nerf a weapon just because everyone uses it I have terrible news for the N-TEC. (Again.)

I am starting to feel that the damage being high is a bit much. Something that could be done is force a a bolt cycle every time the weapon is equipped. This would gut quickswitching pretty hardcore, which would be worth IMO. If you're going to squat around with a sniper you need to commit to squatting around with a sniper. Also handy would be to make weight universal. So you can't just gain all your mobility back by switching to a secondary. Now you *should* be able to switch to a secondary and gain mobility back, but it shouldn't be 100%.

Maybe make it so that having the HVR out gives it OSMAW mobility and putting it away gives you... I dunno, Kevlar 3 mobility? Slap that on the OSMAW too, for good measure.

buff it, make it oneshot kill, reduce the speed like an osmaw, lol

Buff or Nerf ? Yes... Please change the wording of the poll. I already made the suggestion in the appropriate category of the forum. In case you didn't see:

Just why need to nerf the N-HVR? Both heavy and scout versions are already perfect at their respective performance.

If anyone agree with this poll, that clearly means you don't know how to play with/against it. 

Practice with them and stop being a crybaby over 'OP' weapons that do not OP at all.

• Like 1

Personally feel like the N-TEC is more deserving of a nerf but HVR is a close second

why nerf a sniper, that's make no sense, in other games snipers kill with just one hit, here you got a second opportunity

Just now, sundere said:

why nerf a sniper, that's make no sense, in other games snipers kill with just one hit, here you got a second opportunity

This question has been asked and answered repeatedly in this exact same thread. Because it's too versatile and punishing to an opponent at any range? Because all it takes is one hit to take someone out of a fight for a prolonged period of time? Because all they have to do is get hit once by another weapon before the HVR finishes them off (QSing)? Because it's far and away the best sniper in the game?

I personally don't care if it gets nerfed or not, but at least read the thread first.

8 minutes ago, sundere said:

Play against some of the top players using the hvr and you will know why.

1 hour ago, Tokio said:

Just why need to nerf the N-HVR? Both heavy and scout versions are already perfect at their respective performance.

If anyone agree with this poll, that clearly means you don't know how to play with/against it. 

Practice with them and stop being a crybaby over 'OP' weapons that do not OP at all.

Yea 60% of the voters don't know how to play around a sniper...of-course..or maybe you just play against silvers

17 hours ago, Sniperturtle said:

Only thing i'd think of for the HVR is to gradually increase its damage with range, making it useless at ranges below 50m.

But that's just unrealistic, whilst a good solution it doesn't feel right. If I had to pick, I'd rather make the HVR feel heavier, so that means no more quick switching and you will have a hard time running around/maneuvering with it so if you want to try and cheese people in CQC, you're going to have to work like hell for it, and for that it's really no longer worth it.