janga

Inactive account names

So I want to change my name to janga but the name has been taken and whoever it is hasnt come online for years (i added them to see if they would ever come online around a year or two ago) so is there anything I can do ?

there was a thread/post not too long ago regarding unmerged names (pre server merge) possibly being wiped. not sure if anything will come of it though.

to be honest it's a tough one to call just deleting peoples names, especially if they have spent money on the account. inactive or not does not really matter. fact is it belongs to someone.

• Like 1

If this is Jericho/NA I'm 90% sure that name is taken by an old vet and really doesn't deserve to have his name taken away if that is the case.

Name wipes should really have sort of some guidelines around it rather than a flat 'any inactive characters'.

I think it would depend on the circumstance. I could understand wipe names from accounts that were only active for maybe a few weeks and then quit. There are plenty of people that try out a new game, make a character, and then decide it's not for them and quit.

So perhaps if it were on a case by case basis and looked into. I'm sure there are plenty of old accounts from players that tried the game out, and didn't like it. If it were requested and then investigated as such it wouldn't bother me one bit.

I've played plenty of games where they've done a server merge, and then I had to change my character name due to someone else on the merging server having the same name. In most cases I got my old name back, unless of course the other account was active.

I'd just try contacting customer support and seeing if they'll look into your case. These sorts of things happen on lots of games these days with so many people playing online games.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, demonoid said:

I think it would depend on the circumstance. I could understand wipe names from accounts that were only active for maybe a few weeks and then quit. There are plenty of people that try out a new game, make a character, and then decide it's not for them and quit.

So perhaps if it were on a case by case basis and looked into. I'm sure there are plenty of old accounts from players that tried the game out, and didn't like it. If it were requested and then investigated as such it wouldn't bother me one bit.

I've played plenty of games where they've done a server merge, and then I had to change my character name due to someone else on the merging server having the same name. In most cases I got my old name back, unless of course the other account was active.

I'd just try contacting customer support and seeing if they'll look into your case. These sorts of things happen on lots of games these days with so many people playing online games.

Case-by-case makes sense, especially for veterans. I pretty much sound like a broken record regarding this, but the NA Server Merge was a mess. Not only did long-time veterans lose their main names, they lost it to low ranks and even to a mishandling of the situation by the support staff (ex. "reserved" names were being given out and even sold).

From my own experience:

When RTW was being transferred to G1, RTW players got to recover their old characters. Not everything was perfect, but G1 support looked into each case of the merge and handled it. In fact, I was able to recover my Enforcer, even though someone snaked the name at that time. Same should have happened when the servers were merged because the merge was not perfect at all; however, it didn't. They merged EU one way, and NA in another based on how EU went--it was a last minute change that messed up a good bit.

In the case of my one alt after the NA merge (trust I have a lot of proof/tickets regarding the fiasco): G1 Support abandoned trying to resolve the issue, left my character in a bugged state for almost 2 years (couldn't even log on to rename it), allowed the name to be taken by someone else (through support), let that "player" continually try to sell me the name back (other veterans faced this issue too), and then proceeded to brush off the incident since because only very few players faced the issue (or, at the very least, were persistent on finding a just resolution). When my character finally was able to be renamed (support tried and failed themselves mind you), it was renamed to something that had no relation to my original name. I haven't touched it since, I still want the original name (and I'm not about to buy it off some random).

That's a case that'd I'd like to be looked into, but I figure @Selali would be best to chime in on.

While I can just rename and move on, the issue is a concern to this day...and I'd hate to have them clear up names again and this mess to happen again; especially since this request will only be asked more and more as new players join, and old players come back. Case-by-case is the way to go, if you have some sense of "right" to a name--you should be able to get it ahead of any massive purge (which G1 did before the merge, around 2012). It's not a "new" idea, veteran/pro players have done it in many games/social-media platforms.

I'd personally really like to wash that bad taste once and for all...and play on the character again on how it was originally themed and named. I'm sure others in this predicament would to, or at least be given a chance.

Edited by LUST
History Lesson
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, LUST said:

Case-by-case makes sense, especially for veterans. I pretty much sound like a broken record regarding this, but the NA Server Merge was a mess. Not only did long-time veterans lose their main names, they lost it to low ranks and even to a mishandling of the situation by the support staff (ex. "reserved" names were being given out and even sold).

From my own experience:

Reveal hidden contents

When RTW was being transferred to G1, RTW players got to recover their old characters. Not everything was perfect, but G1 support looked into each case of the merge and handled it. In fact, I was able to recover my Enforcer, even though someone snaked the name at that time. Same should have happened when the servers were merged because the merge was not perfect at all; however, it didn't. They merged EU one way, and NA in another based on how EU went--it was a last minute change that messed up a good bit.

In the case of my one alt after the NA merge (trust I have a lot of proof/tickets regarding the fiasco): G1 Support abandoned trying to resolve the issue, left my character in a bugged state for almost 2 years (couldn't even log on to rename it), allowed the name to be taken by someone else (through support), let that "player" continually try to sell me the name back (other veterans faced this issue too), and then proceeded to brush off the incident since because only very few players faced the issue (or, at the very least, were persistent on finding a just resolution). When my character finally was able to be renamed (support tried and failed themselves mind you), it was renamed to something that had no relation to my original name. I haven't touched it since, I still want the original name (and I'm not about to buy it off some random).

That's a case that'd I'd like to be looked into, but I figure @Selali would be best to chime in on.

While I can just rename and move on, the issue is a concern to this day...and I'd hate to have them clear up names again and this mess to happen again; especially since this request will only be asked more and more as new players join, and old players come back. Case-by-case is the way to go, if you have some sense of "right" to a name--you should be able to get it ahead of any massive purge (which G1 did before the merge, around 2012). I'd personally really like to wash that bad taste once and for all...and play on the character again on how it was originally themed and named. I'm sure others in this predicament would to, or at least be given a chance.

We all know G1 "support" was anything but. To top it off they allowed BRs into the us server which further made things a mess

Implement the system GGG uses for Path of Exile, if you log into any of your characters at least once a year all your characters are safe. If you fail to login at least once a year your names are freed up and you will be prompted to rename your character the next time you login. Seriously anyone that can't be bothered to login once a year obviously doesn't care about their names.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Darkzero3802 said:

We all know G1 "support" was anything but. To top it off they allowed BRs into the us server which further made things a mess

Yeah, how dare they allow more people to play the game. And double how dare they let the BRs save APBs Jericho population. 

What a bunch of jerks. 

10 hours ago, Darkzero3802 said:

They made the equivalent of a mob deal with a BR company to block all BR IP addresses from connecting to G1's servers. After that, they merged servers and many BR players lost their original character names because they couldn't sign in. But to you, letting them be able to connect again was the bad part.

4 hours ago, CookiePuss said:

Yeah, how dare they allow more people to play the game. And double how dare they let the BRs save APBs Jericho population. 

What a bunch of jerks. 

4 hours ago, MrsHappyPenguin said:

They made the equivalent of a mob deal with a BR company to block all BR IP addresses from connecting to G1's servers. After that, they merged servers and many BR players lost their original character names because they couldn't sign in. But to you, letting them be able to connect again was the bad part.

Neither 1 of u noticed that after the BRs joined the Jericho server pop tanked did u?

2 minutes ago, Darkzero3802 said:

Neither 1 of u noticed that after the BRs joined the Jericho server pop tanked did u?

probably more a side effect of the entire game tanking

causation vs correlation 

3 minutes ago, BXNNXD said:

probably more a side effect of the entire game tanking

causation vs correlation 

If there were that many BRs transferring we should have seen a boost for afew months not a sharper then average decline.

48 minutes ago, Darkzero3802 said:

If there were that many BRs transferring we should have seen a boost for afew months not a sharper then average decline.

Steam charts look like after a steady decline since 2015, there was a spike in late 2016 when the merge happened. 

And thats with both Citadel and Han continuing to die  

Edited by CookiePuss

6 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:

Steam charts look like after a steady decline since 2015, there was a spike in late 2016 when the merge happened. 

Followed by a somewhat sharp drop and then steady ish decline.

edit* actually that bump was closer to jan feb of 2017

Edited by SelttikS

there is talk about merging people with multiple accounts...not sure why this is being pursued because it will likely be a disaster.

forums you cant have multiple accounts to evade or breaks forum rules, are they merging forum accounts? What about us who are on shared networks? Or are they merging multiple accounts in-game? Same thing. Nightmare approaches.

also, apparently if you played hoplon you could have claimed a name there that was reserved in jericho to pretty much hijack the reserve system.

Edited by Captain Teemo

Just now, Captain Teemo said:

there is talk about merging people with multiple accounts...not sure why this is being pursued because it will likely be a disaster.

forums you cant have multiple accounts to evade or breaks forum rules, are they merging forum accounts? What about us who are on shared networks? Or are they merging multiple accounts in-game? Same thing. Nightmare approaches.

its just forum accounts

2 minutes ago, BXNNXD said:

its just forum accounts

Honestly don't see the point of that, why would I want to share a forum account with my roommates? Never seen a forum do that.

Edited by Captain Teemo

Aren't old accounts that aren't active for 2+ years get wiped anyway, So i gives more a clean slate to the game and free's up on the database.

Edited by ɱɑƫƫʂϗᎧɨɨ™

42 minutes ago, ɱɑƫƫʂϗᎧɨɨ™ said:

Aren't old accounts that aren't active for 2+ years get wiped anyway, So i gives more a clean slate to the game and free's up on the database.

I kinda doubt that would happen. What if someone who's spent lots of money on the game has been on hiatus due to the condition of the servers/state of the game decides to come back.(kinda like me) LO would have a quite a lot of lash back from the veteran community. If the game suddenly starts improving, and things get better it's going to attract a lot of old players back to test the waters.

Some of us haven't been on in awhile do to life circumstances, and the fact that that games pretty much been dieing until LO showed up.

1 hour ago, ɱɑƫƫʂϗᎧɨɨ™ said:

No? I don't think accounts that are in-active due this amount will be wiped, what about people whom banned few years ago and still getting wiped aswell will be a harsh punishment to them all.

41 minutes ago, PTCntte said:

No? I don't think accounts that are in-active due this amount will be wiped, what about people whom banned few years ago and still getting wiped aswell will be a harsh punishment to them all.

once they are done with all the unbans i think this system is fine tbh

shorten it to a year, send out an email 1 or 2 weeks beforehand detailing that you either contact support or log in, otherwise your name will be freed

I mean the person may have quit the game altogether so then the account becomes in-active but i could be wrong.

I agree. It's slowly hard to get original name in-game - i don't talk about account wipe, we just should make unactive users (2011-2013 should be safe right?) to take one new names when/if they rejoin us.

On 6/16/2018 at 2:24 AM, iTzHaze said:

there was a thread/post not too long ago regarding unmerged names (pre server merge) possibly being wiped. not sure if anything will come of it though.

to be honest it's a tough one to call just deleting peoples names, especially if they have spent money on the account. inactive or not does not really matter. fact is it belongs to someone.

They just losing right to their current name and free slot, jeez.

It's not like we removing their accounts.

Edited by MitneAlt