FinanciaI

so let's talk about the match making

Matchmaking is the area of the game I think needs the most work, the system is just broken as it is now. Solving it won't be an easy task however, we would need cross-district matching or phasing technology of some sort to really make it work.

At the moment APB dont have pop for normal Match making ... tbh even hight pop. games like paladins with 25 mill. players cant make normal match making.

did you win tho

I wish I could show you some old screenshots which I don't have anymore of literally 6 max rank golds opposing 6 low rank bronzes / silvers. 1 gold = 2 silvers btw

Edited by Thial

When that happens, that usually means the silver is a re-roll platinum so its fair. 

Before they can fix matchmaking they need to fix lack of population the de threaters. Its all kinda 1 big ball of mess. 

1 hour ago, FinanciaI said:

the silver

i could honestly believe that knowing u and different

Cause the system couldn't find a suitable match so it gave that and allowed the silver to call backup? What is the issue here?

Bumping this to say it has absolutely nothing to do with population, and matchmaking is busted.

2338C185BC7C590CD5A6F064BBD486E6C2E8F630

Posted: Nov 19, 2014 @ 5:50PM

Played in a 2v5 the other day.

Everyone was gold.

We were the two.

We could not call backup.

jdPvuVJ.gif

If you're playing properly and you're put up against vastly outgunned/inexperienced players, the best (and nicest) thing you can do currently is to ask them if they want help on the mission or otherwise take it easy on them. This game is hostile enough to new players and getting hosed by the matchmaking isn't ideal.

It's not just the matchmaking that's extremely broken at times. It's also how threat is determined, which in turn results to this, because of how the matchmaking considers threat levels.

Although, this is purely based on what I have experienced over many matches over the past few years. It'll most of the time, consider that 2 Silvers are of equal to 1 Gold. Resulting in most of these matches being 2 Golds vs 2 Silvers & 1 Gold. This is technically fine and wouldn't be an actual big deal, if threat was actually accurate. But the majority of Silvers are either below average, dethreaters or new to the game. So, despite what the matchmaking considers as a possibly balanced match, it becomes far from that in pratice.

Not to say there isn't anything wrong with matchmaking. There has been plenty of times where you have been stuck, waiting half an hour for a mission in a full district, despite there being plenty of players available to fight. From either alliance open groups or solo players, but this is never the case at times.

Edited by Glubbable

1 hour ago, Songbearer said:

If you're playing properly and you're put up against vastly outgunned/inexperienced players, the best (and nicest) thing you can do currently is to ask them if they want help on the mission or otherwise take it easy on them. This game is hostile enough to new players and getting hosed by the matchmaking isn't ideal.

Usually when I get put against lower level players in a 1vX or 2vX, I use a weapon I'm inexperienced with or learning how to use, that way we're both at a handicap, but I can run directly at them and still outgun them at times, regardless of weapon mods/character mods, I feel there needs to be a more harsh penalty for playing in the Silver disticts instead of the Gold disticts if they're not going to lock Golds to their own distict, people try to argue that "Golds shouldn't be locked to their own district because then they can't play with their Silver friends!" but I think Golds SHOULD be locked to their own district and lower ranks should be able to join higher up districts of their own volition.

5 minutes ago, Similarities said:

Usually when I get put against lower level players in a 1vX or 2vX, I use a weapon I'm inexperienced with or learning how to use, that way we're both at a handicap, but I can run directly at them and still outgun them at times, regardless of weapon mods/character mods, I feel there needs to be a more harsh penalty for playing in the Silver disticts instead of the Gold disticts if they're not going to lock Golds to their own distict, people try to argue that "Golds shouldn't be locked to their own district because then they can't play with their Silver friends!" but I think Golds SHOULD be locked to their own district and lower ranks should be able to join higher up districts of their own volition.

Yeah, let's segregate players even more! What a brilliant idea! Let's not forget that Threat is completely broken and literally contributing 50% of your team will help you raise up in threat, even if you lose. 

Nothing like being a low silver playing with your friends and you do good a few missions and BOOP, now you're gold. Guess you're getting kicked, can't play with your friends anymore, and have to PURPOSELY dethreat just so you can continue playing with your other friends.

4 minutes ago, TheAceNinja said:

Yeah, let's segregate players even more! What a brilliant idea! Let's not forget that Threat is completely broken and literally contributing 50% of your team will help you raise up in threat, even if you lose. 

Nothing like being a low silver playing with your friends and you do good a few missions and BOOP, now you're gold. Guess you're getting kicked, can't play with your friends anymore, and have to PURPOSELY dethreat just so you can continue playing with your other friends.

Yeah, because what we've been doing for the past 8 years is working SO well for retaining new players, am I right?! Just look at all these new players who pick up the game and stick aro-oh, right.

New players have little to no incentive to get into the game solo, I've had to teach so many people the game before they even cared enough to pick it up because the UIs are terrible, convoluted and confusing, the tutorial is terrible and teaches you nothing to get into the game, and to top it all off, getting stomped by players better than you because you're a silver in the district you belong in is so fun! You definitely got that right!

Make a suggestion on how to fix it, magic conch shell.

Edited by Similarities
  • Like 1

Just now, Similarities said:

Yeah, because what we've been doing for the past 8 years is working SO well for retaining new players, am I right?! Just look at all these new players who pick up the game and stick aro-oh, right.

New players have little to no incentive to get into the game solo, I've had to teach so many people the game before they even cared enough to pick it up because the UIs are terrible, convoluted and confusing, the tutorial is terrible and teaches you nothing to get into the game, and to top it all off, getting stomped by players better than you because you're a silver in the district you belong in is so fun! You definitely got that right!

If you think the threat is the reason why new players don't stick around, you are so sorely mistaken I'm tempted to give you some icey-hot. 

When you make a new account, you're a Trainee. You can then join a green or a bronze district. A new player will literally achieve GOLD after winning THREE MISSIONS. You think that's long enough playtime to now know the game and get locked to Gold?

With your logic, that would make even more players leave. 

"Congrats, you've achieved gold because you did good. We're moving you to the Gold server with other players of your skill level."

*Goes Gold*

*Proceeds to get absolutely completely and utterly destroyed even harder then he would against low silvers and fake golds*

*Uninstalls and tells everyone the game is pure trash*

Congrats, your change just killed the game even more then before.

Just now, TheAceNinja said:

If you think the threat is the reason why new players don't stick around, you are so sorely mistaken I'm tempted to give you some icey-hot. 

When you make a new account, you're a Trainee. You can then join a green or a bronze district. A new player will literally achieve GOLD after winning THREE MISSIONS. You think that's long enough playtime to now know the game and get locked to Gold?

With your logic, that would make even more players leave. 

"Congrats, you've achieved gold because you did good. We're moving you to the Gold server with other players of your skill level."

*Goes Gold*

*Proceeds to get absolutely completely and utterly destroyed even harder then he would against low silvers and fake golds*

*Uninstalls and tells everyone the game is pure trash*

Congrats, your change just killed the game even more then before.

Getting stomped in the server you belong in is definitely part of the reason people don't play, quote many of the people I brought back to the game who originally picked it up to try it out and then got stomped, also, how about all the people who quit because of the dethreaters who are basically doing the exact same thing, it's almost like we never hear about this issue on the forums! Oh, we do?! Who knew?! Performing well for 3 missions and then getting Gold out of the gate is so incredibly unlikely as a new player that it's actually a hilariously irrelevant point, if you legitimately think new players get Gold after 3 missions then you must not have helped someone who is new to the game recently.

I have never, ever seen anyone who has just picked up the game for the first time come out of the gate as a Gold. Period. I still watch "Golds" who have been around since CBT drop down to Silver, but yeah, you're right dude, this new guy who played vs Bronze & Silvers and probably doesn't even know how to move, cook nades, or shoot is going to come out of the gate as a Gold. You clearly suffer from the Dunning-Kruger effect.