PLAYLUXE

Realtime Worlds: an inside story

Dunno if this has been posted before, at least I couldn't find anything similar.

Here's an interesting article from "The Guardian" with insights on why developing APB was so unnecessarily expensive and how much went wrong while development - with statements from RTW ex-employees:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/gamesblog/2010/aug/27/realtime-worlds-collapse

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It was mentioned in the old APB:R forum, but it got trashed along with all the discussions we had pre-2019.

• Like 3

Thanks for the info. In that case I'm glad to make it accessible again for everyone here since it answers so many questions about this game and it's unique history.

Wow, super interesting. I heard APB was one of the most expensive games to produce. From reading the article it seemed like it was released too early and then "canceled" almost like a failed test campaign. 

• Like 1

It may have been expensive but only because of budget mismanagement. If you'd develop the game today without doing those mistakes and with current technology it would be much cheaper to produce.

"APB would have been an amazing game in 2006, or at least an amazing start of a game. But this is 2010"

Ouch. 

• Like 2