Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

 

As promised, we've just put up the full walkthrough on RIOT.

 

You can check it out here:

https://www.gamersfirst.com/apb/news/2019/4/19/riot-rundown

 

The goal of this article is to provide as much information going into Wednesday's stress test and Friday's open testing of the mode.

 

This mode has undergone lots of changes during development and testing. Some of the territory control elements have been changed. We still want to introduce those mechanics, but it's more important to launch with something simple and fun before we add anything else. Our hope is that each season we can change one central gameplay element to keep the mode fresh.

 

With this in mind, I view RIOT as something that we can build and evolve alongside the community members that enjoy it. 


For those that don't enjoy Battle Royale style games, then this likely wont be for you. Just know that RIOT != APB. I walked through some of my thoughts in yesterday's blog. This is a very specific way to get new content to the players, but we fully intend to roll out new missions and contacts to the main game once the engine upgrade goes live.


Thanks,
Matt

  • Like 21
  • Thanks 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

any sneak peaks/hints on what these exclusive season items will be (cosmetics/mods/weapons/vehicles/etc) ?

 

will contact prestige eventually make its way into the regular mission-based apb districts, as a way to keep the feeling of progression for r255 (or whatever max rank becomes) players?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do hope the game mode is fun and doesn't feel to much like a BR. but I'm not really liking the season pass thing, this is just sounding to much of a BR and not a game mode with BR inspired elements.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, even tho I hate Battle Royale, I will give it a go on live servers.

However I got a question.
You wrote that players with the pass can only get 15 Tokens.
Can they buy every single limited item in the shop or do they need to decide between them?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This sounds like a great addition to the game! I'll definitely be considering dropping money into the RIOT Season Pass. I do hope though, that everything feels reasonably priced, but time will tell I guess.

Also, the changes to ability cooldowns are a much needed feature! Thank you for listening to the community on this! The game is becoming a lot less pay to win than it was before. 🙂

Edited by Goldtiger
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, TR3NT said:

I do hope the game mode is fun and doesn't feel to much like a BR. but I'm not really liking the season pass thing, this is just sounding to much of a BR and not a game mode with BR inspired elements.

agreed.

I feel like this could've been a nice turf-war mode (like RTW talked about at some point) but it got scuffed by the BR hype...

Edited by Snubnose
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This definitely sounds like a well planned future for APB.

 

Though after being let down by a lot of other games season systems and their passes, I'm not expecting much, but I'm hyped nontheless. This sounds like a lot of new content.

I really want to go back to APB but the lack of content and the low playerbase so far makes me stay away, I hope RHIOT will change this.

Edited by GhosT
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please, for the fucking love of God Matt, stop with this season bullshoot.

 

Everything about this new progression shit you're adding is so fucking convoluted and stupid: just add shit to ARMAS to make money.

 

*EDIT* Also, requiring players to play RIOT, which sounds really shitty and like it has nothing to do with APB, to progress, needs to not be a thing at the very least. Just allow people to play what they want to play, not force them to play your new mode.

Edited by Kewlin
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Kewlin said:

Everything about this new progression shit you're adding is so fucking convoluted and stupid: just add shit to ARMAS to make money.

Clearly you're frustrated by some of my decision making, and for that I apologize.

 

All of the paid pass or extra token elements will launch down the road. So we have time to continue tweaking them prior to launch in order to be easier to understand.

But we intentional did not toss new things in ARMAS, since that's what our predecessors focused on.

Instead we decided to add a fair amount of new content for free to everyone who wants to play the new mode.

 

14 minutes ago, Kewlin said:

Also, requiring players to play RIOT, which sounds really shitty and like it has nothing to do with APB, to progress, needs to not be a thing at the very least. Just allow people to play what they want to play, not force them to play your new mode.

RIOT is separate just like Fight Club. No need to play that mode if you don't want to.

Additionally, we've built in a way to skip any seasons you're not interested in, which allows players to quickly grab the stuff they might want.

46 minutes ago, Sentaii said:

You wrote that players with the pass can only get 15 Tokens.
Can they buy every single limited item in the shop or do they need to decide between them?

Initially 15 Tokens will be enough to get everything in the RIOT shop.
However, over time we might add enough that players will need to choose.

Ultimately we'll work with the community to determine the right amount of balance there.

  • Like 12
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Kewlin said:

 

Everything about this new progression shit you're adding is so fucking convoluted and stupid: just add shit to ARMAS to make money.

 

*EDIT* Also, requiring players to play RIOT, which sounds really shitty and like it has nothing to do with APB, to progress, needs to not be a thing at the very least. Just allow people to play what they want to play, not force them to play your new mode.

Yes ! got a problem . all packages are very old armasa , all the goods in the social area (for the railway) is not relevant and all the things in the game needs to be updated .                               

First, let's see what they give us .

 

buying a new game currency will be correct ? (when will we know the full list of rewards for players using a premium time subscription ?)

 

Edited by Yood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MattScott said:

RIOT is separate just like Fight Club. No need to play that mode if you don't want to.

Additionally, we've built in a way to skip any seasons you're not interested in, which allows players to quickly grab the stuff they might want.

 

The problem with this is the fact that the population keeps dropping and having yet another mode is going to divide the community even more. People who hate BR games (me, included), are gonna have a hard time finding missions in mission districts now that there's APB and APB:BR, in the same game with the same population.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, swft said:

 

The problem with this is the fact that the population keeps dropping and having yet another mode is going to divide the community even more. People who hate BR games (me, included), are gonna have a hard time finding missions in mission districts now that there's APB and APB:BR, in the same game with the same population.

This is certainly, imo, an issue and One already exacerbated by fight club. But if I understand correctly, the overall long term plan is to have RIOT and later 3.5 bring in new players, raising the overall player count. 

While initially this might not help higher threat players such as yourself, eventually it could spawn a whole new generation of skilled gamers. 

 

Fingers crossed. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, swft said:

 

The problem with this is the fact that the population keeps dropping and having yet another mode is going to divide the community even more. People who hate BR games (me, included), are gonna have a hard time finding missions in mission districts now that there's APB and APB:BR, in the same game with the same population.

 

Just now, CookiePuss said:

This is certainly, imo, an issue and One already exacerbated by fight club. But if I understand correctly, the overall long term plan is to have RIOT and later 3.5 bring in new players, raising the overall player count. 

While initially this might not help higher threat players such as yourself, eventually it could spawn a whole new generation of skilled gamers. 

 

Fingers crossed. 

 

Agreed on that. This is the very definition of a "too early to call" situation. It's hard to say how RIOT will impact the population and it's distribution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MattScott said:

Clearly you're frustrated by some of my decision making, and for that I apologize.

 

All of the paid pass or extra token elements will launch down the road. So we have time to continue tweaking them prior to launch in order to be easier to understand.

But we intentional did not toss new things in ARMAS, since that's what our predecessors focused on.

Instead we decided to add a fair amount of new content for free to everyone who wants to play the new mode.

 

RIOT is separate just like Fight Club. No need to play that mode if you don't want to.

Additionally, we've built in a way to skip any seasons you're not interested in, which allows players to quickly grab the stuff they might want.

 

Okay, I'm willing to give this a chance if the content in the season pass (barring maybe titles or something) is in permanently available. If the content is limited time though, that is my major issue.

 

Season passes are, traditionally, a trick to prey on people's tendencies both to need to try to get limited time content, and inability to understand accumulated costs, at least in my opinion and to my understanding. If, for example, you allow people to get everything in the current season for free, and then put up every season on ARMAS for, IDK, $20-50, then I'd think that was totally fine, perhaps even good.

 

What I don't want, and what I think would destroy so much of the fun of APB, which is cosmetics, is for, I don't know. . . let's make up an example.

 

Say you add a German riot police helmet to a season, and you have a system where you can only get season specific items for a year. 16 months later, Joe Shmoe comes back to APB 'cause some friends told him it was good again or some shit, and he sees some dude with the German riot helmet, and he thinks, "oh shit, that's cool, and I've always wanted to make a GSG9 cosplay in APB!"

 

Guess what, he can't, and he never will be able to.

 

IMO this is something that should never happen to APB. So much of APB is about having fun with customizing shit to your hearts content, and if there starts to be any sizable amount of limited time cosmetics in APB the game will quite honestly start to suck.

 

 

If you do that, I.E. allow players to be able to get anything from any season at any point, even if it's behind a paywall, I'll be 99% fine with all of the things you're saying you're doing, even if I think RIOT is a huge waste of time and resources on your part, and makes fuck all sense from a lore perspective. If I don't need to play RIOT or buy every season pass soon while it's running, then sure, whatever, have a ball. In general though, every season pass system I've seen has been morally despicable, and in my opinion as bad as lootboxes.

 

 

There, there's my much longer explanation of my issues, with a lower concentration of cussing and insults.

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kewlin said:

 

Okay, I'm willing to give this a chance if the content in the season pass (barring maybe titles or something) is in permanently available. If the content is limited time though, that is my major issue.

 

Season passes are, traditionally, a trick to prey on people's tendencies both to need to try to get limited time content, and inability to understand accumulated costs, at least in my opinion and to my understanding. If, for example, you allow people to get everything in the current season for free, and then put up every season on ARMAS for, IDK, $20-50, then I'd think that was totally fine, perhaps even good.

 

What I don't want, and what I think would destroy so much of the fun of APB, which is cosmetics, is for, I don't know. . . let's make up an example.

 

Say you add a German riot police helmet to a season, and you have a system where you can only get season specific items for a year. 16 months later, Joe Shmoe comes back to APB 'cause some friends told him it was good again or some shit, and he sees some dude with the German riot helmet, and he thinks, "oh shit, that's cool, and I've always wanted to make a GSG9 cosplay in APB!"

 

Guess what, he can't, and he never will be able to.

 

IMO this is something that should never happen to APB. So much of APB is about having fun with customizing shit to your hearts content, and if there starts to be any sizable amount of limited time cosmetics in APB the game will quite honestly start to suck.

 

 

If you do that, I.E. allow players to be able to get anything from any season at any point, even if it's behind a paywall, I'll be 99% fine with all of the things you're saying you're doing, even if I think RIOT is a huge waste of time and resources on your part, and makes fuck all sense from a lore perspective. If I don't need to play RIOT or buy every season pass soon while it's running, then sure, whatever, have a ball. In general though, every season pass system I've seen has been morally despicable, and in my opinion as bad as lootboxes.

 

 

There, there's my much longer explanation of my issues, with a lower concentration of cussing and insults.

"Players who enter RIOT at any point in the future will start at the season one."

 

Already been answered in the blog post. Doesn't matter when you start, you first unlock season one, then you can upgrade to s2 etc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, WhiskeyTangoFoxX said:

"Players who enter RIOT at any point in the future will start at the season one."

 

Already been answered in the blog post. Doesn't matter when you start, you first unlock season one, then you can upgrade to s2 etc.

 

He also said that they might be rotating out old seasons, so it's ambiguous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, WhiskeyTangoFoxX said:

 

 

Agreed on that. This is the very definition of a "too early to call" situation. It's hard to say how RIOT will impact the population and it's distribution.

the game is stable in the population . people come and don't come back .

the first time I left the game when I got my 255 lv (with about 7500 murders) the second time I left was when I had about 25,000 murders on my main account . breaks were about six months .

Edited by Yood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kewlin said:

 

He also said that they might be rotating out old seasons, so it's ambiguous.

That is only in reference to stuff in the RIOT shop, so far we have no idea what that may be. Could be titles, could be skins, could be cosmetics. It's also possible that if stuff gets rotated out of the RIOT store it goes on ARMAS instead etc.

 

Matt is a smart man, they'll come up with something that works and has integrity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, WhiskeyTangoFoxX said:

That is only in reference to stuff in the RIOT shop, so far we have no idea what that may be. Could be titles, could be skins, could be cosmetics. It's also possible that if stuff gets rotated out of the RIOT store it goes on ARMAS instead etc.

 

Matt is a smart man, they'll come up with something that works and has integrity.

 

I've no reason to believe Matt is smart or has integrity to be honest. . . He did buy APB after all.

 

On a serious note though, limited time content is limited time content, and I don't care if it's through the season, the RIOT shop, or comes directly from Matt Scott's pleasant fellow, I don't want it in APB. If it goes on ARMAS afterward, fine, if it doesn't, just uninstall LOprogram.

 

 

SO MATT, LIMITED TIME SHIT WE WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO GET AGAIN OR NOT?! PLZ ANSER AT YOUR SOONEST CONVENIENCE!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WhiskeyTangoFoxX said Matt is a smart man, they'll come up with something that works and has integrity.

 

Quote

I've no reason to believe Matt is smart or has integrity to be honest. . . ,

 

I don't want it in APB.

 

it's a play on words ?

No need to play that mode if you don't want to.

 

p.s. sorry for frequent editing 

Edited by Yood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done LO, everything about RIOT sound AMAZING. To be honest, sound too good to be true, a ton o new content and everything is for free?

I'm really excited to play this new mode, and i hope you guys can deliver everything this post is promising us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...