Sign in to follow this  
Lammashta

What about the Confederate Flag?

This may have been discussed in the QnA and I missed it (largely because I didn't have time to watch it in the first place), but what will LO's stance be on the Confederate Flag?

I know their views on symbols of hate like the Nazi swastika, but the whether the Confederate Flag is such a symbol is debatable depending on who you ask. Some claim it represents racism and slavery while others contend that it represents pride and heritage.  While I don't use the symbol, I would be interested to hear their stance (if any) on its use

In canada it represents sedition, we call it the rebel flag, I can see why it's considered racist though.

sweet christmas, are we going to go through everything anyone has ever found offensive?

when do we ban american flags because the US bombed hiroshima and nagasaki? 

when do we ban japanese rising sun flags because the Allies banned it after ww2?

and on and on and on and on

3 minutes ago, BXNNXD said:

sweet christmas, are we going to go through everything anyone has ever found offensive?

when do we ban japanese rising sun flags because the Allies banned it after ww2?

and on and on and on and on

They fought for slavery, and they lost, their primary symbol doesn't need to be glorified. You don't wave a fallen enemy's flag, it makes no sense.

1 minute ago, -Rachel- said:

They fought for slavery, and they lost, their primary symbol doesn't need to be glorified. You don't wave a fallen enemy's flag, it makes no sense.

it doesnt matter imo, making rules based on feelings is asinine and insanely subjective

its not against the law so its fine

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BXNNXD said:

it doesnt matter imo, making rules based on feelings is asinine and insanely subjective

its not against the law so its fine

I really don't think it's about feelings, but I like you and I'm not in the mood to have an argument that will get us nowhere. We'll agree to disagree.

2 minutes ago, -Rachel- said:

That's debatable as well.  Sure, some did fight for slavery.  Still some fought for their homes (There were people who lived in the CSA who did not support slavery). 

10 minutes ago, BXNNXD said:

Why not?  I think it bears clarification, particularly since people do use it as part of their outfit in the game.

5 minutes ago, Lammashta said:

That's debatable as well.  Sure, some did fight for slavery.  Still some fought for their homes (There were people who lived in the CSA who did not support slavery). 

Why not?  I think it bears clarification, particularly since people do use it as part of their outfit in the game.

because its an endless list of clarifications 

how many countries have committed atrocities in their history? how many organizations are completely off the "average" moral compass?

• Like 1

I'd say that context you use it with matters.

Put it on a car roof to make pretend General Lee Charger clone? I don't see any problem here.

Put it on your billy-bob character's hunting vest? Mabye. Just keep your mouth in check.

Use it anywhere while you act like a moron (hate speech, masked hate speech, wordplay of racistical term, glorification of slavery, anything which can be linked to racism really...)? Get out of my internet.

• Like 1

Has brand safety gone too far?! Yes it has.

It's in my best interest if we don't go around banning flags since that is literally my job in the game is to design flags and arm patches.

Pls don't shoot the humble flag merchant.

1 hour ago, -Rachel- said:

in that respect America did the same to England... and also kept slavery long after England banned it.

so...

1 minute ago, illgot said:

in that respect America did the same to England... and also kept slavery long after England banned it.

so...

With all due respect, that was canada who did all that, uk only helped a little.

1 hour ago, -Rachel- said:

I really don't think it's about feelings, but I like you and I'm not in the mood to have an argument that will get us nowhere. We'll agree to disagree.

debates are great though

First military uniforms now a stupid flag.

Lol This is great.

What about getting notoriety 5 and camping the high school roof?

215141-69acd80c-1087-11e4-9633-5d2eb5bc9

This is the flag the pro russian side of used in the ukrainian war, there was no slaves there. The reports of neo-nazis actually were to do with pro e.u. forces backed by the nato alliance.

UJ+4.gif

This is the russian navel flag, it's also the flag of scotland, as well as various scottish clans.

Get the picture yet?

Edit: but what does it mean, it's called the st. andrews cross it's not racist. Back to history class.

" According to legend, the Christian apostle and martyr Saint Andrew, the patron saint of Scotland, was crucified on an X-shaped cross.[6] Use of the familiar iconography of his martyrdom, showing the apostle bound to an X-shaped cross, first appears in the Kingdom of Scotland in 1180 during the reign of William I. It was again depicted on seals used during the late 13th century, including on one used by the Guardians of Scotland, dated 1286.[6] "

Edited by Puffdragon

as i already said, if we're going to ban everything "Offensive", we will end up banning the whole game. everything will be offensive to someone.

a-polar-bear-mother-and-her-twin-two-yea

Edited by TheOppositePolarBear

2 minutes ago, Niggs said:

SLIPPERY SLOPE

there is irony happening here

2 hours ago, MrsHappyPenguin said:

What about getting notoriety 5 and camping the high school roof?

All the other kids with the pumped up kicks...

• Like 2

is the confederate flag illegal in some countries they sell the game to/offer the service?

because thats the difference to the swastica which is by law forbidden in germany.