Jump to content
MattScott

Upcoming Weapon Balance changes

Recommended Posts

On 7/6/2018 at 4:39 PM, MattScott said:

Hi everyone,

 

In the spirit of transparency, here are the changes we are implementing for weapon balance in the coming couple weeks. The development has all been done, we are just testing internally to make sure things work as intended.


To start we have two general changes to the Sniper and Shotgun categories:

 

1) Linking accuracy to damage on the HVR 762

Reducing the damage of the HVR 762 when it's not perfectly accurate allows us to reduce the ability to fire it at close range / snap shot and still be effective.

 

Sniper Rifles, particularly the HVRs, are particularly hard to balance because they are currently effective at point blank range and also devastating at a distance. G1 tried a few rough balance measures in the past with initial inaccuracy and movement cooldown, but it’s still quite possible to use the HVR in CQC. We feel this change will preserve the HVR 762's place in our matrix of weapons, but make it less desirable outside of actually sniping.

 

2) Shotgun Damage Pellet Damage

We're adjusting how shotguns do damage, to allow for more damage for partial hits (the first pellets to hit a single target do more damage than the last ones). This allows them to be more forgiving without buffing their overall damage.

 

Again, Shotguns are hard to balance. Currently we feel they are powerful but very inconsistent, and some of this is because how our servers perform at higher latency.

 

Now for the smaller tweaks to specific weapons:

 

1) AR-97 'Misery' (Apoc Famine)

Improve damage to give it some overkill, and improve the tap fire ability.

 

2) COBR-A

Remove the accuracy curve and improve accuracy recovery rates.

 

3) ISSR-a

Low recovery time for accuracy loss, so you can wait less time after taking a shot to fire again.

 

4) SWARM

Reduce horizontal recoil amount. We're also investigating increasing the time it takes to recoil to slightly higher than the recoil time, making the recoil smoother.

 

5) SBSR (Rifle)

We want to give this weapon a unique recoil pattern that's significantly less harsh than the sniper variant.

 

6) H-9 'Curse'

We want to give this weapon a new recoil pattern that has heavily reduced horizontal recoil.

 

7) S-247 'Oblivion'

Attempt to make the weapon a lot snappier when using it as a fire and reposition weapon. This would heavily improve snap fire by reducing the time it takes to gain accuracy after moving, and allowing you to switch during re-fire timer.

 

8) NCR

New crosshair (from existing asset). Removing the accuracy recovery curve that the HVR has.

 

Thanks,

Matt


Edited: added clarity on weapon names mentioned in comments.

Wow seriously, this is like everything I've been wanting for a while. I'd really like to see how the Shredder, Anubis, Swarm, and COBRA perform after these changes. I may have missed it, but is there any estimation as to when you think the changes will be implemented? Edited by notHunky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

nerf ntec in close range
fix yukon
nerf aaepd
nerf hvr
slighty buff shotgun dmg
fix strife fire rate

my personal list
 

  • Dislike 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, foolish ninja said:

nerf ntec in close range
fix yukon
nerf aaepd
nerf hvr
slighty buff shotgun dmg
fix strife fire rate

my personal list
 

No.
Dont care either way Yukon is trash.
Literally what?
It is already getting nerfed lol.
Lol no, the buff its already getting is more than enough.
No.
 
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:
No.
Dont care either way Yukon is trash.
Literally what?
It is already getting nerfed lol.
Lol no, the buff its already getting is more than enough.
No.
Preach!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, foolish ninja said:

nerf ntec in close range
fix yukon
nerf aaepd
nerf hvr
slighty buff shotgun dmg
fix strife fire rate

my personal list
 

what’s wrong with the strife fire rate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, BXNNXD said:
what’s wrong with the strife fire rate?
The actual fire rate is perfectly fine. I'm assuming he's talking about the wonky behavior where the Strife locks out actions after firing until the refire cycle finishes, like the HVR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hexerin said:
41 minutes ago, BXNNXD said:
what’s wrong with the strife fire rate?
The actual fire rate is perfectly fine. I'm assuming he's talking about the wonky behavior where the Strife locks out actions after firing until the refire cycle finishes, like the HVR.
Well duh, Imagine QSing with the strife!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:
Well duh, Imagine QSing with the strife!
Will likely start being a thing after the shotgun changes go through. Consistent shotgun damage is a terrifying thought when it comes to the Strife.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hexerin said:
16 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:
Well duh, Imagine QSing with the strife!
Will likely start being a thing after the shotgun changes go through. Consistent shotgun damage is a terrifying thought when it comes to the Strife.
Yeah, this shotgun change is going to be interesting no doubt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, CookiePuss said:

Well duh, Imagine QSing with the strife!

I did get reverse QS with Colby 45. > Strife to work occasionally....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Nite said:
19 hours ago, CookiePuss said:

Well duh, Imagine QSing with the strife!

I did get reverse QS with Colby 45. > Strife to work occasionally....
Oh man, what I wouldnt give to see the look on a dudes face after getting strife QS'd !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please don't ruin the Dog Ear.  It's hardly a sniper rifle to begin with... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TrinityFSB said:

Please don't ruin the Dog Ear.  It's hardly a sniper rifle to begin with... 

the issra is the assualt rifle version of the issrb, and its completely overshadowed by the dog ear/wisp

i look forward to the ttk getting a little more competitive frankly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BXNNXD said:
the issra is the assualt rifle version of the issrb, and its completely overshadowed by the dog ear/wisp

i look forward to the ttk getting a little more competitive frankly
Hardly anyone used it for a reason...  The TTK was great, but extremely unforgiving.  
It wasn't a weapon that is easy to learn by any means.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TrinityFSB said:
Hardly anyone used it for a reason...  The TTK was great, but extremely unforgiving.  
It wasn't a weapon that is easy to learn by any means.
imo .85s isnt very competitive ttk for an ADS ar intended to be used under 50m 

i am slightly concerned that - like the issrb - the issra might become a little too versatile tho, since it has the same av capabilities iirc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BXNNXD said:
imo .85s isnt very competitive ttk for an ADS ar intended to be used under 50m 

i am slightly concerned that - like the issrb - the issra might become a little too versatile tho, since it has the same av capabilities iirc
I was referring more specifically to the Dog Ear.
The ISSR-a is absolute garbage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dog Ear is an absolute BEAST of a gun.
Maybe the most underrated gun in the game.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, CookiePuss said:

Dog Ear is an absolute BEAST of a gun.
Maybe the most underrated gun in the game.

I personally didnt see much of a diff between the 2 but thats me and yes everyone uses the dog ear over the Artemis but with the upcomming buff u might see the Artemis used more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/6/2018 at 4:39 PM, MattScott said:

Hi everyone,

 

In the spirit of transparency, here are the changes we are implementing for weapon balance in the coming couple weeks. The development has all been done, we are just testing internally to make sure things work as intended.


To start we have two general changes to the Sniper and Shotgun categories:

 

1) Linking accuracy to damage on the HVR 762

Reducing the damage of the HVR 762 when it's not perfectly accurate allows us to reduce the ability to fire it at close range / snap shot and still be effective.

 

Sniper Rifles, particularly the HVRs, are particularly hard to balance because they are currently effective at point blank range and also devastating at a distance. G1 tried a few rough balance measures in the past with initial inaccuracy and movement cooldown, but it’s still quite possible to use the HVR in CQC. We feel this change will preserve the HVR 762's place in our matrix of weapons, but make it less desirable outside of actually sniping.

 

2) Shotgun Damage Pellet Damage

We're adjusting how shotguns do damage, to allow for more damage for partial hits (the first pellets to hit a single target do more damage than the last ones). This allows them to be more forgiving without buffing their overall damage.

 

Again, Shotguns are hard to balance. Currently we feel they are powerful but very inconsistent, and some of this is because how our servers perform at higher latency.

 

Now for the smaller tweaks to specific weapons:

 

1) AR-97 'Misery' (Apoc Famine)

Improve damage to give it some overkill, and improve the tap fire ability.

 

2) COBR-A

Remove the accuracy curve and improve accuracy recovery rates.

 

3) ISSR-a

Low recovery time for accuracy loss, so you can wait less time after taking a shot to fire again.

 

4) SWARM

Reduce horizontal recoil amount. We're also investigating increasing the time it takes to recoil to slightly higher than the recoil time, making the recoil smoother.

 

5) SBSR (Rifle)

We want to give this weapon a unique recoil pattern that's significantly less harsh than the sniper variant.

 

6) H-9 'Curse'

We want to give this weapon a new recoil pattern that has heavily reduced horizontal recoil.

 

7) S-247 'Oblivion'

Attempt to make the weapon a lot snappier when using it as a fire and reposition weapon. This would heavily improve snap fire by reducing the time it takes to gain accuracy after moving, and allowing you to switch during re-fire timer.

 

8) NCR

New crosshair (from existing asset). Removing the accuracy recovery curve that the HVR has.

 

Thanks,

Matt


Edited: added clarity on weapon names mentioned in comments.

These changes are for the best, its a step forward. Glad to see at least something, The curse and the AR-97 is one of my favorite weapons in the game, though they are outshined by better weapons, so I'm excited to see the changes to the meta with this update indeed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, jarko said:

Can you fix the oca pls? lol

 

The OCA, G1s other hardon (the 1st being the HVR)
It never needed that buff 3yrs ago yet G1 decided to give it a buff and since then the balance in SMGs has been gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if they can get the COBR-A and the Artemis down to .8 ttk with their old bloom recovery, they'd get used a LOT more I think


I think I'm on repeat

 Would also like to see the SWARM get some love for movement spread, but it's way on the backburners.. I just like AV/hybrid weapons like that. It's too bad we don't have any slower firing automatics with bloom recovery that are AV.. unless they really help the SBSR and the Shredder

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Eixo said:

Any eta on changes hitting servers finally?

It seems fixing the servers has become the priority. 
Which makes sense... no point testing weapons on broken servers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2018 at 3:33 AM, CookiePuss said:

Dog Ear is an absolute BEAST of a gun.
Maybe the most underrated gun in the game.

In my opinion the DOW Thumper is king in terms of being underrated, but it's true that the Dog Ear (and NSSW to a degree) were low key overpowered for ages until they started popping up in players' loadouts rather recently. At the time sniper dropoff ranges became normalized and the Dog Ear became viable, barely anyone played it.

As for the Thumper, I'm curious to see how the changes will affect it. Unlike the CSG it has a lot of overkill damage, so it's already very consistent and doesn't stand to gain much unless its overall spread is reduced. I wish the ADS reduced spread gimmick was tweaked to actually be useful, but the gun can hold its own using only the normal mode. Maybe other shotguns such as the Shredder will improve as well. Edited by Lyfeld

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...