Sign in to follow this  
NotTheEnforcer

APB's 2023 Roadmap Progress

11 hours ago, Frosi said:

Not just that but I doubt there are even many ppl (if any) in the apb community that would be able to work on the game outside of possibly clothing / balance / map changes. The games code is written in a deprecated coding language as well as heavily modified to the point where it may as well be its own engine and not Unreal 3.

Doesnt matter. Just open source it regardless. Im sure theres plenty of people out there with general knowledge of how it works who could probably tie some stuff together and actually implement some proper fixes.

assuming unit games isnt some kind of tax loophole, little orbit gets sued into oblivion the second they open source apb reloaded

9 hours ago, NotTheEnforcer said:

Doesnt matter. Just open source it regardless.

Yea just do something illegal, doesn't matter am I right?

On 8/6/2023 at 5:06 AM, NotTheEnforcer said:

Negativity is ironically good, because it helps them to recognize that their stupid fucking FOMO scummy desperation sales where they drag out the FFA and Temptress to milk whoever is left, wont fuckin work lmao. The silence is deafening. There hasnt been any progress in years. The only "progress" they ever made was the 64 bit. Even the "legendaries" they made were old G1 templates that were just never released lmao

these are all valid criticisms and not im trying to diverge the discussion from them, merely suggesting that everyone's time could be better spent quite literally anywhere else than caring about this ship that has already sunk

criticism when constructive and actually taken in account by the other party is helpful for anyone to improve, if your intent is to just mockingly demean them (which lets be real they kinda deserve it), i wouldn't bother at all so they keep failing

thats just me though, look at how well baldur's gate 3 is doing without utilizing any of the business practices(as far as i can tell from a quick glance anyway) that you scorn LO for

Edited by Optimus_Crime

11 hours ago, NotTheEnforcer said:

Doesnt matter. Just open source it regardless. Im sure theres plenty of people out there with general knowledge of how it works who could probably tie some stuff together and actually implement some proper fixes.

That's not how that works.

On 8/7/2023 at 7:44 PM, Fasalina said:

Had a good laugh at this, thanks op.

Why do i keep coming here? 

Lmao I dont even have an account with the game anymore, so same as me. To remember the good times, and laugh at how stupid we were to believe in LO's fuckin savior-complex when they were just as predatory and greedy as G1, and how they're gonna go down the shitter just the same.

Merged.

On 8/7/2023 at 6:03 PM, EerieEric said:

Cool, tell it to the whopping zero people who would actually sue anyone over this pile of shit lmao. Thats like trying to sue a homeless person, you're gonna spend way more than you'll ever get out of them lmao. 

Oh noooo, you broke our contract and open-sourced this fucking money-pit that never made a profit in over a decade and did nothing but make 3 companies go bankrupt and made their entire communities hate them, oh nooooooooooooo

lmao

5 hours ago, NotTheEnforcer said:

Cool, tell it to the whopping zero people who would actually sue anyone over this pile of shit lmao. Thats like trying to sue a homeless person, you're gonna spend way more than you'll ever get out of them lmao. 

Oh noooo, you broke our contract and open-sourced this fucking money-pit that never made a profit in over a decade and did nothing but make 3 companies go bankrupt and made their entire communities hate them, oh nooooooooooooo

lmao

I get your point. There's plenty of talented players who can fix existing content relatively easily. Sadly, I don't see this game going open source. LO have been sued over another game's development.

On 8/7/2023 at 5:41 PM, Frosi said:

Yea just do something illegal, doesn't matter am I right?

On 8/7/2023 at 9:32 AM, vsb said:

assuming unit games isnt some kind of tax loophole, little orbit gets sued into oblivion the second they open source apb reloaded

On 8/7/2023 at 7:03 PM, EerieEric said:

I believe this is a topic LO's lawyer(s) will have to check. Open-sourcing codebases is a complicated issue, but you can most definitely sort out an agreement with stakeholders if they believe it is for the mutual benefit of the parties involved. Selling the IP does not necessarily mean that open-sourcing is out of the question, nor the other way around. Our argument here won't result to anything unless LO takes open-sourcing into consideration and answers our questions.

I'm proposing open-sourcing as a solution to progressing the game's development. The legalities behind it is another issue LO will have to inform us about.

To be honest, as always, I'm surprised anything in this game is done at all ever. Games that have smaller playerbase and are over 10 years old rarely get significant updates, and APB code being APB code makes it far worse. But it has been case for APB for its whole lifetime about things being barely added and done. In last 5 or even up to 7-8 years, if i remember well, only things we've got were some important rebalances (which are essentially just value changes), 64 bit upgrade recently which granted was effective, 1 legendary weapon, few vanity clothes on armas not even the packs. Im not sure what anticheat has done, as i keep seeing cheaters, even blatant ones last night. I really wish FFbans was brought back so at least we know who got banned and got some relief... but devs looked at ffbans thing from different perspective.

Thing about APB is there simply isn't a proper replacement game for it, nor there will ever be one thats attractive and playable similarly enough for APB veteran generation. Person who played the game for thousands of hours will always be attracted to APB one way or the other. You can't really do much at this point to change that, reshape the game in any way you want, and people will still come back once it gets significantly improved/changed. In my opinion, the value of APB is in the player's accounts, all the items and creations tied to them. You can mess around anything else, but if you can revert it, people will eventually come back. And it took years of not doing pretty much anything, and game's playerbase drops only by around 10 concurrent a month. If you take a look at player charts, lowest points were November / December 2022, and a game got x2 player boost after 64 bit update, so players will keep coming back regardless, as long as there is something new and improved.

On other hand, gaming market for shooter games has been deeply stagnating in last 3-4 years as well, there hasnt been any groundbreaking game to take up the throne and set the new standards, everything was just trailblazing. Even though we've had few TPS releases, they are at this point competing to have the playerbase size of APB. Current trend is "extraction" shooters which is just an awful genre which only few games could theoretically pull off well and i cant understand why every dev is chasing towards it... anyhow i derailed too much

As much as it gets you a few whiffs of hope as you read the roadmap lines, you have to accept is that its lucky even if 20% of it is done. I appreciate the criticism but it is just the way it has been for APB. And im sure that there is at least one dev putting his all into making the game work, but its not enough, and im not sure how to fix that? Make a kickstarter? Mass sales?

Maybe in a few months, maybe a year, or who knows even 2 or 3, when EU reaches critically low playerbase they'll try their best to pull the last available strings, although FFA sale seemed like one last pull before matchmaking update, which is a big experiment.

PS edit:

Hypothetically speaking, game going open source is an interesting idea and experiment, as im not sure how it would work out. It could be a fun playground for a while if owners just let everyone have all the items instantly, but that would kind of get boring eventually. Biggest gripe with private servers especially for shooter game would be handling of cheaters, then the accounts, and keeping the game up to begin with. So while it might be a fun place to just play APB purely for APB and missions, considering you had enough players for that, progression would definitely suffer. I imagine it would look something like OTW currently, where there is everything available for free

Edited by Daarin
post scriptum
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I take it back on East never crashing. Had perfect hitreg on US East for the last hour. Now the district is offline for everyone.

Server info from the log file:

IP Address | port: 205.220.227.76:10219

District: Waterfront

On 8/9/2023 at 5:46 PM, Daarin said:

PS edit:

Hypothetically speaking, game going open source is an interesting idea and experiment, as im not sure how it would work out. It could be a fun playground for a while if owners just let everyone have all the items instantly, but that would kind of get boring eventually. Biggest gripe with private servers especially for shooter game would be handling of cheaters, then the accounts, and keeping the game up to begin with. So while it might be a fun place to just play APB purely for APB and missions, considering you had enough players for that, progression would definitely suffer. I imagine it would look something like OTW currently, where there is everything available for free

They could at the very least implement steam workshop and let players make content themselves that they would then integrate having half the work already done for them, think uncustomized "canvas" clothing or weapon reskins, kind of how warframe does it

The player makes a skin and the price paid by a consumer of course, being 5-7 bucks gets shared between steam, the game owner and the creator. Incentive for everyone involved suiting their interest.

Edited by Optimus_Crime

Many thanks from me to the small team that keep the game alive having all those angry unsatisfied kids around. I appreciate all your efforts to make APB better step by step! 
Love you and your work! please keep going.

On 8/9/2023 at 4:46 PM, Daarin said:

Thing about APB is there simply isn't a proper replacement game for it, ...

On other hand, gaming market for shooter games has been deeply stagnating in last 3-4 years as well,

Very few gaming studio has the resources and the staff necessary for making a game similar to APB reloaded nowadays,  and especially more less of them will ever think risk assmoney to see if it will be successful or not, they have no chance to risk with cost worth of top tier hollywood movie.

The game industry is imploding from taxes, the human labour cost for top expert techicians/ engineers. while the games more and less have always the same  sell money per costumer.. the new formulas of purchasable online DLC and especiallty microtransinctions are not well received.

Bethesda and EA is a example, releasing early games half or not finished because of the costs of their planned games and staff increasing year per year.

Edited by PingOVER9000

On 8/9/2023 at 10:46 AM, Daarin said:

Hypothetically speaking, game going open source is an interesting idea and experiment

Hypothetically the community members running the 'open source' projects, assuming more than 1 succeeds, wouldn't hide their source code and install malware on peoples computers that beat them 1 time in a mission.

I would never let a community ran version of this game touch any hardware or virtual machine that I have control over lmao.

What's depressing is that the "new contacts" has been ready for like what - 5 years now? And the new car is supposedly leftover from RTW assets... Like what's the point of constantly mentioning them, wiggling them in from of our faces if you're not planning to release them ever? When was the last time this game received any new content? 2015?

• Like 1

The new contacts must be after the phasing matchmaking wich will allow to search for opposition from all finanincial districts on ur server(for example)Not gonna affect NA much dou cause theres only 1 dist where everybody play.Also with phasing must come the queing thing and u not gonna have to mash the join button to join the dist u want.These things they workin on right now and must be close to finish(lets hope)

Edited by AlienTM

11 hours ago, AlienTM said:

The new contacts must be after the phasing matchmaking wich will allow to search for opposition from all finanincial districts on ur server(for example)Not gonna affect NA much dou cause theres only 1 dist where everybody play.Also with phasing must come the queing thing and u not gonna have to mash the join button to join the dist u want.These things they workin on right now and must be close to finish(lets hope)

You'll be stuck on a loading screen before each match starts. Some players will quit based on the mission type and who's in the match. Then you'll call for backup, which will take a minute for the new player to connect. The mission ends before the new player spawns in.

That's the best outcome I see.

12 hours ago, Weaboos said:

What's depressing is that the "new contacts" has been ready for like what - 5 years now?

They are not ready and as other users have mentioned above, current matchmaking doesn't exactly allow returning players to have a lot of fun so to retain those newer players the new matchmaking is required to hopefully massively decrease the amount of unfair matches they are thrown into for a better experience.

25 minutes ago, Frosi said:

They are not ready and as other users have mentioned above, current matchmaking doesn't exactly allow returning players to have a lot of fun so to retain those newer players the new matchmaking is required to hopefully massively decrease the amount of unfair matches they are thrown into for a better experience.

the contacts have been teased as ready for years now, what gives?

14 hours ago, vsb said:

they misplaced the files

Merged.

On 8/15/2023 at 3:15 PM, Weaboos said:

What's depressing is that the "new contacts" has been ready for like what - 5 years now? And the new car is supposedly leftover from RTW assets... Like what's the point of constantly mentioning them, wiggling them in from of our faces if you're not planning to release them ever? When was the last time this game received any new content? 2015?

it's a game of pray that we are stupid enough to believe in them and play a fools game

Like American politics

9 hours ago, Frosi said:
21 hours ago, Weaboos said:

What's depressing is that the "new contacts" has been ready for like what - 5 years now?

They are not ready

i know what he wrote in last roadmap several months back but..(next 1 min-4 years ago)

and yea i know hes talkin about dat the contacts are ready back then for the unreal 3.5 but theres big difference from last roadmap when hes sayn dat all items from them are stript,they need voice overs etc

Edited by AlienTM

10 hours ago, Frosi said:
23 hours ago, Weaboos said:

They are not ready

So @Frosi you are just confirming LO and MattScott telling bs since years.

Edited by PingOVER9000

15 hours ago, vsb said:

11 hours ago, AlienTM said:

i know what he wrote in last roadmap several months back but..(next 1 min-4 years ago)

5 hours ago, PingOVER9000 said:

No Matt is not telling bs but if you paid any attention to previous statements and then the roadmap this year you'd notice that the scope of the contacts has changed, saying they aren't ready doesn't mean that they are months and months away but rather that they do not reflect the current state they want them in for release (whether that's a complete re-imagination or just a few items they want to add is up in the air). I highly doubt any work has been done on them in the past months as the developer is focusing on the new matchmaking update. Matt's previous statements would also imply that the work on these contacts have been done on the engine upgrade which has since been scrapped which then means that you would have to back port it all and test it again.

On 8/16/2023 at 7:54 PM, Frosi said:
On 8/16/2023 at 2:23 PM, PingOVER9000 said:

No Matt is not telling bs but if you paid any attention to previous statements and then the roadmap this year you'd notice that the scope of the contacts has changed, saying they aren't ready doesn't mean that they are months and months away but rather that they do not reflect the current state they want them in for release (whether that's a complete re-imagination or just a few items they want to add is up in the air). I highly doubt any work has been done on them in the past months as the developer is focusing on the new matchmaking update. Matt's previous statements would also imply that the work on these contacts have been done on the engine upgrade which has since been scrapped which then means that you would have to back port it all and test it again.

Talking about paying attention.. sigh

The contradictions, declarations, embembarrassment of someone are starting to reach the height of the Mt. Everest, but as always there is someone like @Frosi have to post the U-turn card forgetting after posting over one time and repeating in a row they're just stalling at best and what? I dont know, the void maybe?

Anyway whatever... Not big surpraise ""he"" totally disappeared from the forum, since being honest several years  now it just the house of some pettifogger of questionable common sense 😢