Seedy

Has the AI Been thinned out ?? San Paro seems a pit empty

Hi all. Has the AI been thinned out? I do remember Tiggs saying in her usual arrogant reply "You know there are 400 AI on each map at a time! the servers bla bla some BS about servers struggling etc etc". As a Game developer my self, I was able to get up to 100 AI in the immediate vicinity in my game character while playing Multiplayer before lag happened. I did not have as good servers as APB:Reloaded has right now so if AI has been thinned out to what feels like very few going around, then why is this? I have been watching the AI people and they all follow a set path (you will notice they all walk the same lines so they are not needing allot of processor power to walk between waypoints). I really cant see there being 400 AI in APB at one time. Especially since the draw distance is around 100 meters at best. IF the servers are spawning and managing AI across the map when there is no one there then surely this is very inefficient and should be addressed. AI should only be spawned next to the player and when players get close enough to each other they share the AI. If you get to far from AI they are destroyed.

Dont know if APB is working like this though.. If not then why not? I really need to make a video of my game showing all the AI and how they react to the players actions when shooting and in cars n stuff like that! Anyway here is a screenshot of the peds in my game. You can see there are quite a few right there (although no cars in this screeny)

8w39dIl.jpg

pretty sure the civilians are still the same as always

boy am i glad this isn’t a pve suggestion thread tho

I have a feeling it will happen at some point

To be fair, 400 AI is not unreasonable at all given the cars and NPCs which move along set paths, and with 80 player servers, 5 NPCs being near someone isn't unlikely, but it shouldn't be taking up a substantial amount of frame time because they're not doing any "advanced" thinking, all they're doing is moving from node to node which shouldn't be very expensive at all, but you do have to take into account whether or not there's multi-threading being utilized and specifically what threads are handling things (for example, physics and AI running in the same thread would be a lot less CPU intensive than rendering and AI running in the same thread), I'd be fine with them removing civilians completely and just having the car driving NPCs if it means we don't get server hiccups as often.

Also /fpsdetail returning when? I want to see the servers framerate in real time again, rather than "Server: 33ms" like that's tricking anyone.

Maybe they are finally figuring out that there is a war and that they should leave. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Similarities said:

To be fair, 400 AI is not unreasonable at all given the cars and NPCs which move along set paths, and with 80 player servers, 5 NPCs being near someone isn't unlikely, but it shouldn't be taking up a substantial amount of frame time because they're not doing any "advanced" thinking, all they're doing is moving from node to node which shouldn't be very expensive at all, but you do have to take into account whether or not there's multi-threading being utilized and specifically what threads are handling things (for example, physics and AI running in the same thread would be a lot less CPU intensive than rendering and AI running in the same thread), I'd be fine with them removing civilians completely and just having the car driving NPCs if it means we don't get server hiccups as often.

Also /fpsdetail returning when? I want to see the servers framerate in real time again, rather than "Server: 33ms" like that's tricking anyone.

Removing walkers would be bad

1) Cannot mug

2) No more a living world

3) We are not playing zombie apocalypse , we are playing in a living breathing [cough] city.

4) Also this would make the game much more dull !

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Thelnformer said:

Removing walkers would be bad

1) Cannot mug

2) No more a living world

3) We are not playing zombie apocalypse , we are playing in a living breathing [cough] city.

4) Also this would make the game much more dull !

Nobody mugs unless you're trying to hit P5 for an event, if you're making money you're ram-raiding. The world is not "alive" at all, the AI doesn't even do anything besides walk from node to node and occasionally scream for no reason, they simulate nothing like an "alive" anything, basic animals like ants are more interesting. The only thing the civs add to the game is getting stuck on them during simulation time and as a result causing prediction errors.

I'd take better server performance than this "AI" that only reacts to static variables any day.

Edited by Similarities
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Similarities said:

Nobody mugs unless you're trying to hit P5 for an event, if you're making money you're ram-raiding. The world is not "alive" at all, the AI doesn't even do anything besides walk from node to node and occasionally scream for no reason, they simulate nothing like an "alive" anything, basic animals like ants are more interesting. The only thing the civs add to the game is getting stuck on them during simulation time and as a result causing prediction errors.

I'd take better server performance than this "AI" that only reacts to static variables any day.

You will miss them once they are gone,thats all i can say. Those guys add something to the game and its simply not replaceable , i know those are annoying and i dunno know how many times have i got because some civilian ran infront n ate my sniper shot !

50 minutes ago, BXNNXD said:

boy am i glad this isn’t a pve suggestion thread tho

#justaddbots

18 minutes ago, Thelnformer said:

You will miss them once they are gone,thats all i can say. Those guys add something to the game and its simply not replaceable , i know those are annoying and i dunno know how many times have i got because some civilian ran infront n ate my sniper shot !

thats what makes the game special 🙂

• Like 1

you can't compare whatever that is in your screenshot to APB:R. get real and pull your head out ur patootie.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NyanPowa said:

you can't compare whatever that is in your screenshot to APB:R. get real and pull your head out ur patootie.

how can you tell?

maybe we finally caused enough genocide in san paro idk

3 minutes ago, Fr3e said:

fwa ha!

7 minutes ago, Fr3e said:

Iikr?

WHERE DO ALL THE CITIZENS COME FROM??????

1 hour ago, NyanPowa said:

That's what I was thinking. Like what game is that? It sure as shit doesn't look like APB at all.

Yes, they are finally after what? 10 years? Moving out of the hornet's nest known as San Paro.... surprised it hadn't happened sooner.

On a serious note, I've not noticed this truthfully, but I don't really pay attention anymore beyond 'can that npc become a shield?'

Quick edit, the game in your screenshot reminds me of a higher poly count third person postal 2. I don't know why... was just the vibe I got.

Edited by TheSquigg

most are spanish speaking, so Donald Tiggs thrown them out.

10 minutes ago, TheSquigg said:

Yes, they are finally after what? 10 years? Moving out of the hornet's nest known as San Paro.... surprised it hadn't happened sooner.

On a serious note, I've not noticed this truthfully, but I don't really pay attention anymore beyond 'can that npc become a shield?'

People still live in Chicago.  Lol.

I've lost count of the times that I was about to make a kill and had it botched by a f%@king NPC that decided it would be a good idea to walk directly into my line of fire. 

1 minute ago, wibsey said:

most are spanish speaking, so Donald Tiggs thrown them out.

If I do recall, he only wanted to throw out the ones that snuck in illegally... 

1 minute ago, TrinityFSB said:

If I do recall, he only wanted to throw out the ones that snuck in illegally... 

my bad, I forgot my actual political face. brb

9 hours ago, CookiePuss said:

Iikr?

WHERE DO ALL THE CITIZENS COME FROM??????

They played Strat Roulette, once one dies, one more leaves spawn, and proceeds to B site.

Wait

I think that's the wrong game...

Day 4273: We've finally started to thin their numbers, we're seeing a decrease in population. Progress

2 hours ago, TrinityFSB said:

People still live in Chicago.  Lol.

Last time I was in Chicago... there wasn't a van full of people shooting Rocket Launchers and machine guns mowing down the civilians in the streets ALL OVER TOWN. But that was years ago, i suppose anything is possible.