Kewlin

The Death of Legendaries and APB's Economy?

For those who missed Kemp's Q&A Stream with Matt Scott, he said that in order to comply with laws around the globe they will be making it so that legendary weapons are no longer tradeable.

This, in my opinion, causes tons of issues.

One: Even if they reduce the price of JMBs or increase legendary drop rate, this means that APB will now have guns that REQUIRE you to buy RNG boxes to get them. As someone who dislikes RNG boxes, I think, while it is potentially a way around the legal issues with JMBs, it's a step backwards as far as the practical issue.

Two: Legendaries are always a thing that newbies go to and say are P2W, and with Legendaries behind a paywall, what happens if and when an overpowered legendary is released? (There certainly have been OP legendaries before.) Furthermore, being able to say that there are ~23 fancy legendaries you can get in-game if you put in effort is a great feature of APB and a great way to refute APB being P2W.

Three: I know this is rather specific, but the fact that there will no longer be free permanent explosives is a legitimate issue in my opinion. The AAEPD is an important part of the META, and removing the ability to get it in-game is a massive issue in my opinion.

Four: APB will basically no longer have an economy, and will lose a massive potential money sink. There's already relatively little to spend money on in APB, much less millions and millions of APB$. With the removal of trading legendaries there will no longer be a substantial amount of high-price items in the game or really. . . honestly much of anything to spend APB$ on.

Fifth: What will happen to old legendaries? Will they become untradeable and stagnant? Or will it become like, forgive the example, transferable machine guns in the U.S., which are an awkward part of law that will continually increase in value and rarity until they're bizarre relics that barely exist?

I understand that you're between a rock and a hard place LO, but I ask you, please try and figure out another way, because the loss of legendary trading will be a huge hit to APB.

• Like 6

I was thinking the same thing too. Allow JMB to be buyable with in-game currency maybe? idk but that rdx guy on jericho gonna have a lot of dead weight in his inventory soon hahah rip

• Like 1

Okay, show me that Law, if there is such a Law then why are there tons of games where premium/lootbox Guns are Tradable?

There will always be a somekind of economy, you will just have to adapt to it

Yea that is a hot topic that needs some clarification, I don't really care since I own most of them though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ninetenduh said:

Okay, show me that Law, if there is such a Law then why are there tons of games where premium/lootbox Guns are Tradable?

it's been slowly put in effect around the world if you've seen any gaming news related to them

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ohshii said:

I was thinking the same thing too. Allow JMB to be buyable with in-game currency maybe? idk but that rdx guy on jericho gonna have a lot of dead weight in his inventory soon hahah rip

If it was up to me there would be something along the lines of putting legendaries (tradeable or not) as high price Joker Store items, but I understand that this probable won't happen due to the hit it would cause to JMB sales. Alongside this, I'd keep old legendaries tradeable for the time being.

Perhaps a way to keep JMB sales relevant would be making legendaries from JMBs account bound? But I dunno'.

6 minutes ago, ninetenduh said:

The problem is that where anti-lootbox laws are being put into place, it's often a totally different law in every country, so I don't know what he was referring to to be honest.

2 minutes ago, Sagemist said:

There will always be a somekind of economy, you will just have to adapt to it

An economy of what though? Lol.

Sure, there will always be clothes, cars, and themes, but I predict that those will skyrocket in price, and a lot of people like me make all their own stuff so that's all irrelevant.

• Like 1

Just now, Kewlin said:

If it was up to me there would be something along the lines of putting legendaries (tradeable or not) as high price Joker Store items, but I understand that this probable won't happen due to the hit it would cause to JMB sales. Alongside this, I'd keep old legendaries tradeable for the time being.

Perhaps a way to keep JMB sales relevant would be making legendaries from JMBs account bound? But I dunno'.

The problem is that where anti-lootbox laws are being put into place, it's often a totally different law in every country, so I don't know what he was referring to to be honest.

An economy of what though? Lol.

Sure, there will always be clothes, cars, and themes, but I predict that those will skyrocket in price, and a lot of people like me make all their own stuff so that's all irrelevant.

I'm not sure what the best way to solve it is, maybe have joker boxes drop as mission rewards? I don't know how the e.u. laws are set up. Is it the gambling thing? I think just having them tradable with a cool down on trading will cut scams in half.

There are Laws against Lootboxes but not the Actual contents of said loot boxes put into place and last time I checked countries have yet to put those laws into effect. 

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Really not a fan of making it a closed system. I think there is a better way than removing them or just closing it off from trading.

10 minutes ago, ninetenduh said:

2 minutes ago, Kewlin said:

I think he was most likely referring to the legislation now being pushed in a lot of countries in Europe regarding gambling via video games.

7 minutes ago, ninetenduh said:

There are Laws against Lootboxes but not the Actual contents of said loot boxes put into place and last time I checked countries have yet to put those laws into effect. 

Totally depends on the country AFAIK.

6 minutes ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Really not a fan of making it a closed system. I think there is a better way than removing them or just closing it off from trading.

Agreed, there has to be something better. I don't honestly see much of a point in having legendaries as opposed to normal ARMAS guns if they aren't tradeable.

No it does not depend, there is currently no ACTIVE law against Lootboxes and especially none against the Contents of said box. If the guns are made untradable then you create the Pay 2 Win economy again, till now you could say you can buy the guns in-game, with that people will get mad, and call it all pay 2 win again. That would result in what? Exactly not a single new player ever joining the game. All those changes are more or less counter productive.

That might happen but we have yet to see the concrete legislation. Till now I've heard that items that can be sold for real money need to disappear and those that can be traded only for games currencies are fine and are here to stay.

There are many laws they are pushing around regarding Gambling for real world money. Some are straight up No gambling, but some are more relaxed where you just have to have the odds of each outcome listed. The way they adjust to this will most likely not effect what you already own, since the laws are not retroactive.

You will also note that he did speak of addressing the few unbalanced issue with some items. There has been the idea of having all items purchasable with in game currency for awhile and that is what I believe will happen to some degree.

So basically No Obama is not coming to take yer guns away.

Its to get around the potential problems that could arise. But a bad approach to the situation.  They know it, I think they will not do it but that was all he had to say at the moment about the situation.

11 minutes ago, ninetenduh said:

No it does not depend, there is currently no ACTIVE law against Lootboxes and especially none against the Contents of said box. If the guns are made untradable then you create the Pay 2 Win economy again, till now you could say you can buy the guns in-game, with that people will get mad, and call it all pay 2 win again. That would result in what? Exactly not a single new player ever joining the game. All those changes are more or less counter productive.

I totally agree with your sentiment, and hope what you're saying is true about laws, but I'm not sure since Matt Scott seemed to think otherwise.

I want nothing more than for legendaries to continue to be able to be traded, just like you, lol.

3 minutes ago, Kewlin said:

I totally agree with your sentiment, and hope what you're saying is true about laws, but I'm not sure since Matt Scott seemed to think otherwise.

I want nothing more than for legendaries to continue to be able to be traded, just like you, lol.

A few select places have passed laws for it. 

Though I think perception is a bigger problem. Lootboxes are viewed as the lowest of the low right now. GW2 tried to defend cosmetic loot boxes recently and got shredded in gaming news outlets. Only game getting a pass in the public eye is Overwatch. If this games monetization stays predatory it'll be near impossible to shake the bad rep. Of which the game already has enough of clinging to it with a deathgrip. 

If it sounded like I attacked you then I am sorry, I just want to clarify that there is no Law in place that forces LO to make legendaries non-tradable. Nowhere on the world. Otherwise Steam would have to shut down their entire trading system, I don't see that happen anytime soon. And as I said it will further strengthen the "Pay 2 Win" front.

It is beyond me why someone would suggest such a counterproductive move in the first place, that sounds more like "We want to finally kill the game". 

LO has a fair idea of what to do, but currently they are just following G1's footsteps, the nails are all still in the coffin, with this they add one more.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Genobee said:

A few select places have passed laws for it. 

Though I think perception is a bigger problem. Lootboxes are viewed as the lowest of the low right now. GW2 tried to defend cosmetic loot boxes recently and got shredded in gaming news outlets. Only game getting a pass in the public eye is Overwatch. If this games monetization stays predatory it'll be near impossible to shake the bad rep. Of which the game already has enough of clinging to it with a deathgrip. 

They already stated that they're planning on reworking ARMAS pricing, and IMO JMBs are the least predatory lootboxes I know of, in that only thing you can't get from anything besides a JMB is the Fresno 4-slot.

1 minute ago, Kewlin said:

They already stated that they're planning on reworking ARMAS pricing, and IMO JMBs are the least predatory lootboxes I know of, in that only thing you can't get from anything besides a JMB is the Fresno 4-slot.

Least predatory doesn't mean they're not predatory, they certainly are.

4 minutes ago, Kewlin said:

Yes, and no. Generally the highest rewards are the only ones that hold value to players like me. I have the other guns permanently. I get something that is worthless to me - it serves to clutter my inventory. To me it has a negative value because of that reason. Save for those one or two super-ultra-mega-rare rewards I mentioned. Those are the only ones that have any meaning in my case. Otherwise I'm receiving something I already have and need to jump through hoops to delete. I can't even give it to someone who could actually use the darn thing.

I've heard a good number of rants about this too. You get a lease that is of little value to the player typically - if any at all. Woo. It really annoys the folks I talk to.

Edited by Genobee

Currently, they are not predatory at all anymore, the argument that Legendaries are not available otherwise is not valid anymore since the marketplace exists. you can acquire them by playing enough and hunting the market. Unlike PUBG you do not have to spend real money at all to get your hand on one. Again, multiple countries already said that they won't do anything but are still investigating, there is not a single LAW passed so far, passing a Law takes Months if not a year or more to be passed.

• Like 1

The fact that they were tradeable, and obtainable in game kept them from really being pay 2 win.  Now it really WILL be pay 2 win as you wont be able to get them on the auction.