Easiest

Advanced launcher is always allowed?

11 hours ago, Speedz said:

I'd really like to know what advantage you get out of using the Advanced APB Launcher. 

To my knowledge, the Adv. Launcher only gives you a few more detailed options to edit the graphics settings of the game. 

Only a few??? There are pages and pages of options dude, have you had a look????

According to people running it while having good PC already, makes them distinguish the enemies better and be more accurate.

11 hours ago, Speedz said:

I'd really like to know what advantage you get out of using the Advanced APB Launcher. 

To my knowledge, the Adv. Launcher only gives you a few more detailed options to edit the graphics settings of the game. 

you have very limited knowledge . it's scary to think what such people can do with the game . Google to help you . a little tip-in online games, there are two main parameters Latency (ping ) and FPS .

Edited by Yood

3 minutes ago, Yood said:

you have very limited knowledge . it's scary to think what such people can do with the game . Google to help you .

Alright, apparently I am missing something then. I'll use my Sunday to go through every possible configuration the Adv. APB Launcher has to offer to see what kind of advantage it could possibly give me.

While I am doing this, I'd like you to also point out to me settings which you think might be questionable and give that advantage you are speaking of.

3 minutes ago, Speedz said:

Alright, apparently I am missing something then. I'll use my Sunday to go through every possible configuration the Adv. APB Launcher has to offer to see what kind of advantage it could possibly give me.

While I am doing this, I'd like you to also point out to me settings which you think might be questionable and give that advantage you are speaking of.

additional ( artificial ) increase FPS . Speedz still have questions ?

Edited by Yood

Just now, Yood said:

additional ( artificial ) increase FPS . 

I hit 120fps without advanced launcher tho.

23 minutes ago, Saxtus said:

According to people running it while having good PC already, makes them distinguish the enemies better and be more accurate.

Hmmm... that's actually a decent point.

While I don't personally feel that way, I'd be lying if I said I didn't know anyone who did.

Touche homie, touche.

1 minute ago, Yood said:

additional ( artificial ) increase FPS . still have questions ?

Just now, CookiePuss said:

I hit 120fps without advanced launcher tho.

I am running the game at an almost constant 120-145 FPS aswell here. Sorry but that is not a valid advantage to me. 

You are basically telling me that everyone who has high fps should not be allowed to play the game because he has the advantage of running the game better than others.

20 minutes ago, Yood said:

Why are we talking about editing config files the Adv. Launcher doesn't edit? If you would take a look into the provided .ZIP files on that website, you'd see that they edit a bunch of Unreal Engine files, which by LO was not allowed and which is something the Adv. Launcher is not touching.

The Launcher only edits APBMachineOptions.ini and APBCompat.ini.

And before you tell me that it does more than that. Have a look yourself.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-kOrkNs4LU5FGxFSIKEJTBnc50pUdrr-CZFy4IWOsfs/edit?usp=sharing

This was captured using the Sysinternals application called Process Monitor (procmon exe)

Link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon

Edited by Speedz
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:

While I don't personally feel that way, I'd be lying if I said I didn't know anyone who did.

That's because it doesn't. Using Minimal ingame, turning off bloom and playing close to max brightness will give you the same visibility as every low-quality config out there. In fact, it tends to be even better because I believe you can still see through fences with the Minimal setting ingame while you can't with the majority of on the fly low-quality configs made by players. The players that put effort into their configs usually pay attention to the stuff that is created by the environment meaning that for example, pedestrian cars and models would use the absolute lowest resolution they can possibly have no matter how close you are to them. 

All in all, I think people do not understand that there's a difference between the Advanced Launcher and edits such as shaders or the removal of particles entirely. These are two different thing, the latter usually requiring you the edit .upk files which is against the ToS but is not done by the Advanced Launcher.

Edited by Frosi
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Frosi said:

All in all, I think people do not understand that there's a difference between the Advanced Launcher and edits such as shaders or the removal of particles entirely. These are two different thing, the latter usually requiring you the edit .upk files which is against the ToS but is not done by the Advanced Launcher.

^this^

We all agree that the current version of the game engine is crappy for its purpose and until it's fixed, some people will find excuse to turn the game settings to Minecraft mode, one way or another.

I suggest everybody against it, to do some patience until new engine goes live and LO revisits this issue. Until then, as LO allowed its use, there is no point arguing about it.

May I remind you that people that use Advanced Launcher, do other shenanigans too? Like editing the file that holds mission text to reveal the final stage information. LO is still mute on that department as far as I know.

Just now, Saxtus said:

May I remind you that people that use Advanced Launcher, do other shenanigans too? Like editing the file that holds mission text to reveal the final stage information. LO is still mute on that department as far as I know.

you can’t do this through advanced launcher

• Like 1

I never said that.

Just said that whoever use Advanced Launcher do file editing too. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Saxtus said:

I never said that

30 minutes ago, Saxtus said:

May I remind you that people that use Advanced Launcher, do other shenanigans too? Like editing the file that holds mission text to reveal the final stage information.

1 hour ago, Saxtus said:

I never said that.

No I don’t.

1 hour ago, Saxtus said:

But if you know how to edit the files, why would you need the advanced launcher?

@CookiePuss, beause it's easier to edit gfx settings through the Advanced Launcher. Overwriting the missions text file with a downloaded one is also easy and has nothing to do with Advanced Launcher.

@BXNNXD why you quote me? Did I say that they use Advanced Launcher to edit mission text anywhere?

@AsgerLund you are the exception. Just check those that livestream to Twitch using Minecraft: Reloaded gfx settings. Most of them also patched the mission text file.

6 minutes ago, Saxtus said:

@AsgerLund you are the exception. Just check those that livestream to Twitch using Minecraft: Reloaded gfx settings. Most of them also patched the mission text file.

I see. So I’m the only Advanced Launcher user, who doesn’t edit files. Interesting to know.

32 minutes ago, Saxtus said:

@CookiePuss, beause it's easier to edit gfx settings through the Advanced Launcher. Overwriting the missions text file with a downloaded one is also easy and has nothing to do with Advanced Launcher.

@BXNNXD

@AsgerLund

mentions cant be deleted btw

I wonder what percentage of AL users do you think are ALSO editing files?

I also wonder what percentage of those who edit some files also use AL.

Then I'd like to know your sources.

44 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:

mentions cant be deleted btw

As I told you before, you have to press the delete/backspace button twice to delete a mention. It's quirky but it works.

OT: Advanced launcher users are more likely to try other edits as well, but that doesn't automatically mean that they do.

Just now, Kevkof said:

As I told you before, you have to press the delete/backspace button twice to delete a mention. It's quirky but it works.

I know, but I will do anything for your attention. (wink wink)

artificial modification of game files is not allowed . I've never allowed myself the luxury of an installation ADVANCED LAUNCHER .  console players can use ADVANCED LAUNCHER ? 

I'll hold my own opinion   ADVANCED LAUNCHER = EVIL .

Will GamersFirst approve the use of shader configs or the Advanced Launcher?

No. This is a super slippery slope.

Once we allow players to modify parts of the game, then how do we detect cheater-based changes from these more innocuous changes? That makes our investment into Battleye useless.

However, I do believe GamersFirst needs to solve the problems that these things address. We need to allow players to change the color of the crosshairs in-game for colorblind people. We need to add a lower graphics processor setting to help people with less powerful machines.

Thanks again to everyone who participated and volunteered questions.

Sincerely, Matthew Scott 

Edited by Yood