haunta

Hit Boxes

they’re all the same, one large box that’s slightly bigger than the tallest, fattest character possible

only official image i can think of, but the only difference between crouching and standing is how tall the hitbox is so

image2013-1-18+16_41_44.png

Just now, haunta said:

Hmm that is interesting, have they discussed hit boxes yet?

there’s not much to be done, if hitboxes are altered to conform to each character individually then anyone who doesn’t run with the shortest skinniest female character (i.e. anyone who wants to actually use the customization system the game offers) will be at a disadvantage 24/7 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, haunta said:

Hmm that is interesting, have they discussed hit boxes yet?

What would they even discuss? 

Its just a big square around the character as our buddy said earlier. They're all the same, height/weight parameters do not affect the hitbox. 

Imo they should say something about this in the tutorial. Also that you can shoot at people hiding under cars, cause ive been playing a lot lately and nobody seemed to know about this (even only a few maxed out players even) 

2 hours ago, _chain said:

Imo they should say something about this in the tutorial. Also that you can shoot at people hiding under cars, cause ive been playing a lot lately and nobody seemed to know about this (even only a few maxed out players even) 

The district loading screen shows all sorts of things like this. People hardly read these.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Defibrillator said:

The district loading screen shows all sorts of things like this. People hardly read these.

Yeah, loading screen. Who reads the loading screen tips? With my loading time most of the times i just get to read one or two.  Sometimes i'm not even looking at the screen while it loads. And i'm pretty sure most people do the same thing 

24 minutes ago, _chain said:

Yeah, loading screen. Who reads the loading screen tips? With my loading time most of the times i just get to read one or two.  Sometimes i'm not even looking at the screen while it loads. And i'm pretty sure most people do the same thing 

Nobody to blame but yourself, really.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CookiePuss said:

Nobody to blame but yourself, really.

So you're telling me there's an actual solid reason to put advanced tips on the loading screen instead of in an in-game menu where everyone can stop and take a look anytime? 

just... c'mon

Edited by _chain
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, _chain said:

So you're telling me there's an actual solid reason to put advanced tips on the loading screen instead of in an in-game menu where everyone can stop and take a look anytime? 

Are you asking me if there is a reason the game explains stuff to you?

the only loading screen tip i ever see is

TESTINGTESTINGTESTINGTESTINGTESTINGTESTINGTESTINGTESTINGTESTINGTESTINGTESTINGTESTINGTESTINGTESTINGTESTINGTESTINGTESTINGTESTINGTESTING

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:

Are you asking me if there is a reason the game explains stuff to you?

Read, but we can argue somewhere else if you'd like (please don't) 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, _chain said:

Read, but we can argue somewhere else if you'd like (please don't) 

What?

It IS explained to you.

If you decide not to read the tips, thats on you homie.

3 hours ago, _chain said:

just... c'mon

I agree that it should be in the tutorial window too, but are you implying that people actually read the tutorial more than the loading screens?  You have no idea how many newbies I've seen that see the tutorial window, close it then complain about why they can't figure out how the game works.

8 minutes ago, BrandonBranderson said:

I agree that it should be in the tutorial window too, but are you implying that people actually read the tutorial more than the loading screens?  You have no idea how many newbies I've seen that see the tutorial window, close it then complain about why they can't figure out how the game works.

True, tutorial is very boring to do.

Tbh i don't even remember how the tutorial is implemented, it's been too long. I think there's a pop-up on screen and when you get into the tutorial window it's basically a giant wall of text and some images, with a bunch of tabs.

An actual tutorial having you do stuff on a separate server instance would be great.

Anyways, if anyone wants to add what we're talking about here on a suggestion post, feel free.

7 minutes ago, _chain said:

True, tutorial is very boring to do.

Tbh i don't even remember how the tutorial is implemented, it's been too long. I think there's a pop-up on screen and when you get into the tutorial window it's basically a giant wall of text and some images, with a bunch of tabs.

An actual tutorial having you do stuff on a separate server instance would be great.

Anyways, if anyone wants to add what we're talking about here on a suggestion post, feel free.

Tbh I think the whole tutorial system should be revamped.  A really long time ago I posted a suggestion for fresh accounts (the first character of a new account) to spawn into an offline district and have a contact (depending on the faction) walk them through the basics of the game, maybe have them shoot some targets, then drive somewhere to do an objective (with the rest of the city blocked off to avoid exploring and getting lost during the tutorial) all with prompts and images popping up on screen telling you how to do everything.

• Thanks 1

Funny fact about APB hitboxes; at one point the previous host had an in-house dev hacking the game, to explore ideas to fight closet cheaters, right, and at one point these 'hitboxes' in APB ran away from cheaters when the enemy itself was out of direct line of sight! xD Seriously! Just remembering this dev brings a smile back on my face, what a clever guy. Might be a close all-time hero just second under Neume.

Anyway, I think this particular idea went something like this; if a closet cheater would continue to follow / target these ghost hitboxes, well, then it would be clear he / she was closet cheating, right? And just to be sure this is clear let's say it again; this was done to trap so called closet cheaters, not the obvious aimbot and triggerbot "pro's" we all know too well, no not even the togglers, but a small minority of people who were actually skilled enough to almost fully hide their cheating ways.

Up to today this still is one of the funniest, and in my humble opinion one of the more inventive and smart, attempts to trap closet cheaters.  Again, your daily aimbot and triggerbot "pro's" aren't closet cheaters. Not even close. They might think they are haha but really Battleye shouldn't have a problem with these folks. Shouldn't a keyword here. There's a reason for everything though. A real gaming breakthrough would be allowing everyone to have their fun in some way. That's something global these days for game communities, not just APB.

But holy cow that good willed dev had funny ideas against closets and actually tried some. Will never forget what he did there. The ghost hitboxes of APB. See it as a late Halloween story.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

On 11/20/2018 at 1:58 AM, BXNNXD said:

TESTINGTESTINGTESTINGTESTINGTESTINGTESTINGTESTINGTESTINGTESTINGTESTINGTESTINGTESTINGTESTINGTESTINGTESTINGTESTINGTESTINGTESTINGTESTING

Reported for modified game files. See you on ffbans kids.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

Reported for modified game files. See you on ffbans kids.

Don't need to edit files for that, just start the game from the exe with -nomoviestartup (I think that's the one)

• Like 1

Just now, Kevkof said:

Don't need to edit files for that, just start the game from the exe with -nomoviestartup (I think that's the one)

See you on ffbans too heckle cheter.

• Thanks 1

re: Hitboxes

This could probably do with something in the tutorial screen perhaps, as the system used in APB is a little different to most shooters... the hitboxes should definitely should not be changed though, APB combat tends to take place at longer ranges than a lot of shooters and with relatively inaccurate guns, so the larger hitboxes make it simpler to hit things.

re: Talk of the tutorial system being revamped... I don't think people have a clue just how much work that would be for a team like LO. They're already focusing all their effort on unreal 3.5 (as shown by the rather below par event they've released)

re: loading screen hints

These are usually pretty useful, except the fact that they are clearly outdated - I still see advertisements for the STAR 556 'LCR', which is no longer available from ARMAS. It would be nice to have them listed somewhere but that is extra work that could be put into more impactful things.

On 11/19/2018 at 3:58 PM, BXNNXD said:

TESTING SOME TUTORIAL TEXT TESTING SOME TUTORIAL TEXT

On 11/20/2018 at 8:34 PM, Kevkof said:

on point my man !

On 11/19/2018 at 6:25 AM, BXNNXD said:

they’re all the same, one large box that’s slightly bigger than the tallest, fattest character possible

only official image i can think of, but the only difference between crouching and standing is how tall the hitbox is so

image2013-1-18+16_41_44.png

That image is actually from a blog post introducing a third hitbox state.

Originally it was either standing or crouched, where crouched was fully covered by some objects (the stack of pellets in the picture, for example). That update introduced the "crouched moving" state, which is slightly taller, making you a target when moving behind low cover.

On 11/19/2018 at 6:46 AM, BXNNXD said:

there’s not much to be done, if hitboxes are altered to conform to each character individually then anyone who doesn’t run with the shortest skinniest female character (i.e. anyone who wants to actually use the customization system the game offers) will be at a disadvantage 24/7 

It has to be noted, however, that character height does affect shooting behaviour. Tall characters can fire over certain objects, while short ones can not. Conversely short characters can hide behind some objects (even if their hitbox is "showing"), while tall characters can not. The difference is mostly negligible, but existent nonetheless.

On 11/19/2018 at 10:19 PM, Jazeker said:

Funny fact about APB hitboxes; at one point the previous host had an in-house dev hacking the game, to explore ideas to fight closet cheaters, right, and at one point these 'hitboxes' in APB ran away from cheaters when the enemy itself was out of direct line of sight! xD Seriously! Just remembering this dev brings a smile back on my face, what a clever guy. Might be a close all-time hero just second under Neume.

Never heard of this. Do you, by chance, confuse this with player-information not being sent to clients outside the 100m range? It was, iirc, added to lower the amount of information cheaters could collect and theoretically enabled players to "bait" suspected cheaters by hiding somewhere outside a 150-200m radius around the mission area, at which point the cheater would have to drive around in circles to "pick up their signal".

Caused some major issues with several mission finales (e.g. TDM, VIP, object hold), because the target-indicators wouldn't update properly anymore and thus had to be reverted.

Edited by Revoluzzer