Jump to content
CookiePuss

APB Reloaded First Impressions - What The Actual Fuck?

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, Asparii said:

My favourite part is probably the start where he spends a good 15 seconds trying to figure out why he can't kill the other players.
Golden

i was like that on my 1st day!! i saw this crim so i started shooting and was like wtf hacker why isnt he dying. didn't know about pressing K yet then..
download.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People are quick to make fun of the guy, which is a big mistake because there's something to learn from this video, from the pov of this new player. New players quitting before even getting into it properly is a failure for the developer. It can be avoided to a much higher extent. The tutorial should be so overly clear that anyone can understand it and get into it. It should be eaiser to learn how the game basics work. The tutorial (which didn't even exist for a long time) isn't good enough. 

 

Edited by SilverCrow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kempington said:

Although not a great review, it does outline a major issue with this game, the tutorial.

What's more problematic with the tutorial is it prevents you from having grenades or a ammo resupply box if you don't complete all the necessary items. Most of these you'll do naturally from moving and shooting, but some might be overlooked, such as checking the mailbox or purchasing ammo for your weapon.

Sadly, most new players won't care to read walls of text and won't pay attention to the tutorial on the right. I think a more hand held experience is needed.


Ive always said this: I do not like the wall of texts about the contacts. Im here to play a game, not read, and like more kids (granted Im kinda old, 29), my attention span is low. What we really need is contacts with real voices and animations TALKING TO US. Make it a cut scene. That would add so much more immersion and depth. As in, these contacts are actually real and are a part of this game. Tutorial needs to be the same. A deep voice talking about going to the ammo machine and buying ammo. During this time, there is a video showing you running to the machine and purchasing ammo. Then it tells you to actually do it. If you are lost, you can read the text.  Edited by killerskull

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tutorial is not good enough to be clear , the reviewer is also lacking horribly as well....

Possible  solution : OSMAW them both then recycle the bits left over to make new ones of both that function  properly  😜

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

its his first impressions and as far as it goes, it wasn't all bad.

dude at social district stole the show tho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Archon said:

I don't think I can bear to watch it, cringing already from reading the comments 

Edit: @3:02 Oh my god, he stopped for a good 7 seconds to oogle me!

You're famous! 

16 hours ago, TheJellyGoo said:
Yeah, one of those "press button xyz while the whole screen is locked until task has been repeated 3 times" tutorials.
Gotta spoonfeed the vegetables.

 

6 hours ago, killerskull said:
Ive always said this: I do not like the wall of texts about the contacts. Im here to play a game, not read, and like more kids (granted Im kinda old, 29), my attention span is low. What we really need is contacts with real voices and animations TALKING TO US. Make it a cut scene. That would add so much more immersion and depth. As in, these contacts are actually real and are a part of this game. Tutorial needs to be the same. A deep voice talking about going to the ammo machine and buying ammo. During this time, there is a video showing you running to the machine and purchasing ammo. Then it tells you to actually do it. If you are lost, you can read the text. 

I think something like the TF2 tutorial would be good for APB, which was also made retroactively waaay after the game had been released. A small stand-alone arena with either NPC or Fake Cutouts of enemies where is slowly goes over the general aspects of the game. Instead of classes, it can be weapon types and included can be instructions on who/where to unlock these weapons. Showing off easy things like what the colours above a player name means, what it looks like to press K, what it looks like to be on a mission, what the mission tags mean, what it looks like to be on a mission and have OP, all in a nice player-friendly cage where they can't cause any trouble only to themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Kempington said:

Although not a great review, it does outline a major issue with this game, the tutorial.

What's more problematic with the tutorial is it prevents you from having grenades or a ammo resupply box if you don't complete all the necessary items. Most of these you'll do naturally from moving and shooting, but some might be overlooked, such as checking the mailbox or purchasing ammo for your weapon.

Sadly, most new players won't care to read walls of text and won't pay attention to the tutorial on the right. I think a more hand held experience is needed.

You used to have them right off the bat, now you don't and it's rather kinda dumb imo.

I do agree something should further be done tutorial wise, but i do believe that those 2 things should still be on any new character without the tutorial. Maybe a 3 day temp weapon selector for the one, and another having a choice between kev1 and CA1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, SilverCrow said:

People are quick to make fun of the guy, which is a big mistake because there's something to learn from this video, from the pov of this new player. New players quitting before even getting into it properly is a failure for the developer. It can be avoided to a much higher extent. The tutorial should be so overly clear that anyone can understand it and get into it. It should be eaiser to learn how the game basics work. The tutorial (which didn't even exist for a long time) isn't good enough. 

 

B-B-But if they add a tutorial then I can't tell people to get fucked because I managed to learn the game with no help whatsoever!!!! I can't flex anymore about the gatekeeping!!!

No seriously what is it with you guys? The "review" is bad, yes, but how is the guy supposed to know he has the items held count located beneath his weapon? The game makes no indication of that to a new player. How is he supposed to know what character mods are? Weapon mods? How does he get grenades? How does he get a character mod? What's the key to use my deployable mods? Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Similarities said:
B-B-But if they add a tutorial then I can't tell people to get fucked because I managed to learn the game with no help whatsoever!!!! I can't flex anymore about the gatekeeping!!!

No seriously what is it with you guys? The "review" is bad, yes, but how is the guy supposed to know he has the items held count located beneath his weapon? The game makes no indication of that to a new player. How is he supposed to know what character mods are? Weapon mods? How does he get grenades? How does he get a character mod? What's the key to use my deployable mods? Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.
Bravo.
ZMniCtB.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously the tutorial needs a rework indeed. I myself, probably along with others am not a big fan of spoonfeeding tutorials but.... even Path of Exile is more intuitive than this game is considering it's genre. I say increase the green threat level so it actually exists rather than being something theoretical, level lock their districts and rework that tutorial drastically.
Any die hard that likes a steep learning curve as long as they can skip the tutorial, will do so anyways and use his or hers own resources if he or she needs to. Right now the tutorial is nothing more than a bother to the experienced player which made a new character, and a huge wall of text I doubt even 1/20 bothered to read leaving the newbies frustrated and confused. Give players the option to skip the tutorial if they have already completed it once on that account (once per account is reasonable), and if not skipped lock em in a cage with the other newbies with a billboard-in-the-face like step by step tutorial that actually helps them learn the essentials (Like telling them there are no headshots and that you can be shot around cover and underneath cars, rather than displaying it only in the loading screen). 

I see no point in leaving the actual new players vulnerable to being preyed upon by veteran players, that tradition has lived long enough as well as the bible like tutorial no one bothers to read. If I come across as frustrated it is because from my point of view, it really shouldn't be that darned hard to improve this situation, really isn't.

Edited by Slickmund

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...