Hexerin

So there was indeed a wave (or waves) of false-positive bans from EAC

APB

• Easy Anti-Cheat:
    • The game has had various Anti-cheats solutions in the past, Epic’s Easy Anti-Cheat has previously worked the best.
    • LIttleOrbit worked with Epic as a beta partner to help them improve Easy Anti-Cheat which unfortunately led to multiple issues including false-positive bans.
    • The Easy Anti-Cheat ban-appeal user experience was bad due to the lack of communication between Easy Anti-Cheat and the Players, leading players to think the system was broken.
    • There will be an unban-wave to address the false-positive bans. (More details on what the unban-wave is going to look like sooner to when it happens)
    • We’re looking into other solutions to move away from Easy Anti-Cheat but are still investigating our options.

Source: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/113400/view/4201372129456332592

Good to hear that those of us who got caught up by those false-positives will be unbanned Soon™.

Posted (edited)

theres official topic(on forum)

Edited by TheMessiah

oh goodness astolfo pfp will be back in ayy pee bee soon 🙂

6 hours ago, TheMessiah said:

theres official topic(on forum)

Notice the posting dates, that thread didn't exist when I posted this one. Was posted ~10 minutes after mine, amusingly.

And this explains - or it's one of the main reasons - for this one: https://steamcharts.com/app/113400

Considering they "need to sell numbers", it is/was/will be convenient to go on with these not-so-regular unban waves (and I am not morally judging ipso facto)

2 hours ago, GoPlayUWO said:

And this explains - or it's one of the main reasons - for this one: https://steamcharts.com/app/113400

Considering they "need to sell numbers", it is/was/will be convenient to go on with these not-so-regular unban waves (and I am not morally judging ipso facto)

Hoo boy, it's quite depressing to see when we dropped below two thousand players and to see that we're struggling at around 800 this last month as well.

Posted (edited)

Tinfoil hat theory: Most bans are not false, LO don't have the balls to ban streamers and long term players for blatantly cheating, so they're lifting bans since a few got caught.

More realist theory: LO configured EAC wrong, because they're incompetent. It doesn't detect blatant cheaters, which looks like they're favoring cheaters, but they're really just too incompetent to do anything productive.

Edited by BlatMan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, BlatMan said:

Tinfoil hat theory: Most bans are not false, LO don't have the balls to ban streamers and long term players for blatantly cheating, so they're lifting bans since a few got caught.

More realist theory: LO configured EAC wrong, because they're incompetent. It doesn't detect blatant cheaters, which looks like they're favoring cheaters, but they're really just too incompetent to do anything productive.

I'd argue against incompetence, but rather I think it's a case of inexperience and lack of resources. Little Orbit has experience in keeping games running, over lack of development. APB's been going for a long while and I've seen people bitching about it since 2012.

I have yet to see a game that uses EAC and has false positive bans (at least not to the extend I see ppl complaining about here).

Most ppl probably uses 3rd party tools that aren't allowed and then go surprised Pikachu when get caught. 

• Like 1

Its going to be interesting to see who is and is not unbanned.
Hopefully for those unjustly banned this all happens soon.

I also find it sus that no matter what anticheat this game has ever used it always had excessive amount of "false bans". 

It makes you wonder if the problem was the anticheat to begin with.

• Like 1

To my knowledge EAC has only banned a handful of people and not for cheating with combat hax, 

for other reasons. From my observation Yes a small number of the blatants are not there under the names 

they were under before. As Matt said If you ban them they just come right back in the front door.

None of the people in NA are people I knew from bronze district years ago, they dont even try to make 

names anymore. My take on it is that the game is brimming full of perfect aim hackers and there is not 

diddly that can be done. If there is an anticheat out there that could catch them, it is too expensive.

This really applies to all video games. War thunder uses a paid version of EAC and does nothing.

I don't care anymore, they ruined the game by desegregating. Now I just meddle with them.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, PotatoeGirl said:

I also find it sus that no matter what anticheat this game has ever used it always had excessive amount of "false bans". 

It makes you wonder if the problem was the anticheat to begin with.

In APB:

- Punkbuster would kick me for "disallowed program / driver" whenever it failed to update.

- Battleye would block arbitrary applications, like my oscilloscope driver. No bans, just disconnects.

- EAC kicks you with an error message "An error has occured. #4", if it blocks an application. No other info.

Those are just the issues I remember. In other games, those anti-cheats are configured to block various applications. Some games kick you if there's a virtual machine running in the background. Some kick you for having any type of network diagnostics tool running.

I really think this game is managed by people who are stuck in the "knows enough to be dangerous" stage of learning a new skill. Luckily this is game development, so the only danger is losing customers. I know APB has a significantly high cheating issue, but I never see the low hanging fruits get banned, like those who upload clips of themselves cheating on Youtube.

Edited by BlatMan
  • Like 1

I forget which game used to do it, but somewhere would put those people with perfect aim and suchlike in their own little corner of the servers. They'd be stuck playing against other cheaters or people with perfect aim.

Game didn't lose too many players over that and the devs could learn what cheats worked and improve detection. Plus, most of the cheaters didn't really know what was going on and kept playing anyway.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BlatMan said:

Those are just the issues I remember. In other games, those anti-cheats are configured to block various applications. Some games kick you if there's a virtual machine running in the background. Some kick you for having any type of network diagnostics tool running.

This kind of stuff is "normal" for many anticheats but doesn't go beyond just shutting down the game. 

Account ban usually means a lot more things have gone wrong. 

14 hours ago, Fenton said:

I forget which game used to do it, but somewhere would put those people with perfect aim and suchlike in their own little corner of the servers. They'd be stuck playing against other cheaters or people with perfect aim.

Game didn't lose too many players over that and the devs could learn what cheats worked and improve detection. Plus, most of the cheaters didn't really know what was going on and kept playing anyway.

or we can have active management/moderation from LO along with a decent community manager that then hosts events which brings out the ego-driven cheaters and lead them into traps...

think of a GOLD RUSH v2, but with clans.

to catch a predator cheater

wheres drake

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Fenton said:

It was Max Payne 2 or 3 when i first heard of this. I heard other games had the same issue.  The cheaters were secretly always matched against each other. GTA had a similar thing, but GTA and RDO are infested.  There is no one thing that works. It goes right back to in game moderation.