Sign in to follow this  
hapygirl

could flashbangs work in apb, hypothetically?

Would be interesting to test..

However what my predictions are is that

A) Molotovs would be too OP for the defending side because you could easily block objectives with it

B) People would just use configs to disable the flash of the flashbangs

If you can somehow balance out those to factors - it can work. 

many things can work if ders actually some1 workin on the game..

p.s. prefer smoke nades-can be a game changer especially attackin obj and for diverse tactics

Edited by TheMessiah

7 hours ago, hapygirl said:

molitovs

Yes Please, a little realism, Hoods in L.A. don't have mass stashes of grenades,

This is really what the cops 'stun grenade is suppose to be. 

The resulting stamina damage would be the same, but it would not look like

a conc nade, would be much louder and be a white flash then id fall over n hit my head again.

Molitovs would be so much more realistic for the crime faction;

So if you threw a 'Moli' at an approaching car, the blast would maybe not blow the car

but it would still be burning as it went down the street from the gas still burning, still causing

hard damage over time. A person would be screaming and rolling and squirming around as they 

were slowly consumed by flames, the remaining body being charred, cloths burned off.

You know I used to burn my army men as a kid 

5 hours ago, Ellix said:

Would be interesting to test..

However what my predictions are is that

A) Molotovs would be too OP for the defending side because you could easily block objectives with it

If you can somehow balance out those to factors - it can work. 

TBH, id need some serious terms. like, maybe one flash per resupply or per life. same with molotovs, i feel like they could be great, they'd simply make people NOT go the way the molotov was, and i guess itd be kind of a pain for last minute stages where people just spam molotovs and then thats that, but in csgo smoke grenades remove fire, and the smoke its replaced with steam and it just goes away. idunno, i was just thinkin 

On 10/9/2023 at 4:14 AM, Ellix said:

Just don't let people edit configs

But also I dont want to see flash bangs or molotovs 

Flash bangs would be atrocious. im glad they aren't in APB.

Molotovs could be added, however, it should only do minor damage over time if running over it, and should do enough damage if landing on someone, to do like 40-70% life damage total over 4-6 seconds, with only 1 per resup. And stacked molotovs do nothing to an already flaming player. To prevent running around for 4-7 seconds waiting to die from 2-3 being lobbed on you lol.

If set to 40% damage for example, it would be akin to a perc. No big deal, but should do a bit more hard damage imo.

That said, damage could be increased if a consumable was added to extinguish flame in an area... could then possibly have it doing more damage as a slight balance to it being able to be removed.

Edited by Noob_Guardian

If they were half a second and ringed for 5 seconds or less, they could be useful. Problem is, they won't work properly with the 3rd person camera. Does it go by character line of site (LoS), camera LoS, radius? Too many variables that would feel unbalanced or buggy depending on the situation. Besides, the netcode needs a major overhaul for it to be consistent. APB does a terrible job with grenade synchronization. It's rare for my grenades to miss if they're directly on the player, but I've been killed by grenades that were 20M away. I've gotten whispers stating the same for my grenades. Concs tend to do more damage to the vehicles when exploded on the rear vs the front, probably due to lag compensation.

PUBG has flash bangs. It has issues due to the 3rd person camera. You can hit someone in the face with it and they're unaffected, but then the next flash lands behind them and blinds them for multiple seconds. If that game on the Unreal Engine 4, with hundreds of devs, can't get it right, APB sure as hell isn't going to.

2 hours ago, BlatMan said:

If they were half a second and ringed for 5 seconds or less, they could be useful. Problem is, they won't work properly with the 3rd person camera. Does it go by character line of site (LoS), camera LoS, radius? Too many variables that would feel unbalanced or buggy depending on the situation. Besides, the netcode needs a major overhaul for it to be consistent. APB does a terrible job with grenade synchronization. It's rare for my grenades to miss if they're directly on the player, but I've been killed by grenades that were 20M away. I've gotten whispers stating the same for my grenades. Concs tend to do more damage to the vehicles when exploded on the rear vs the front, probably due to lag compensation.

PUBG has flash bangs. It has issues due to the 3rd person camera. You can hit someone in the face with it and they're unaffected, but then the next flash lands behind them and blinds them for multiple seconds. If that game on the Unreal Engine 4, with hundreds of devs, can't get it right, APB sure as hell isn't going to.

honestly, i feel like they should rig it to the thing they do with how you cant shoot around corners that dont physically make sense. like how if you try, it gives you a red X and you end up shooting the wall instead of whatever youre trying to aim at

flashbangs would do no damage so they have to be the best at area denial and prenading to make up for letting carspawners exist, but frags already excel at those things - so now you you either have to make flashbangs ridiculous with more than 14m aoe and 5-10 seconds of effect, or no one will use them

molotovs run into the same issue, albeit with a little more damage

on a personal level i tend to dislike flashbangs in pvp because it removes control, getting chipped by a frag generally guarantees you'll die but you can still do stuff in the meantime, whether its fight, run, call out info

cant do much of that with a blank white screen until the respawn map pops up

12 hours ago, vsb said:

flashbangs would do no damage so they have to be the best at area denial and prenading to make up for letting carspawners exist, but frags already excel at those things - so now you you either have to make flashbangs ridiculous with more than 14m aoe and 5-10 seconds of effect, or no one will use them

molotovs run into the same issue, albeit with a little more damage

on a personal level i tend to dislike flashbangs in pvp because it removes control, getting chipped by a frag generally guarantees you'll die but you can still do stuff in the meantime, whether its fight, run, call out info

cant do much of that with a blank white screen until the respawn map pops up

i kind of feel like there should be more risk in using them somehow, like how in cs you CAN buy a flash or a molitov, but they cost money and take skill to use  most of the time. if they fucked around with some of the throw power and trajectory to differ them from other grenades or bricks, maybe

i feel like all they REALLY need to do is make the stun grenade more effective. i feel like it might be a bit cruel, but if they made it have better range with them, they could actually cause hinderance to players if you missed, rather than them doing literally nothing at all

they'd need to make sure it doesnt stun at an easier range though, i just want players to have the slightly stunned effect to where their audio gets muffled and screen gets covered.

to be fair, smoke grenades are supposed to just be the smoke that comes up out of grenades when they explode, so as long as POTS over here isnt running his ultra super low config that removes all smoke, it shouldnt be an issue

and if there were smoke grenades, they'd have to like. block playernames or something

Edited by hapygirl

Stun grenades are OP since they 1 hit. Only reason I don't use them is because of mobile spawners.

Smoke grenades wouldn't work in APB. Name tags are still visible, and the current engine has terrible particle performance. It would function as an fps dropper, not much else.

It would just make people use "look behind" button way more, adding a new meta move to use...

I have to say getting used to it in APB i miss it in a lot of other games, its so nice being able to just press a button and look 180 degrees behind you instead of moving your mouse all the way to turn around

11 hours ago, Daarin said:

its so nice being able to just press a button and look 180 degrees

i know right?? god

On 10/16/2023 at 5:52 AM, Gateron said:

Molotov's would actually work making entrances or stop pushes.

thass what im saaayin so people would have to get more creative or patient

The camera in a third-person game is your eyes and ears. All visual and sound effects must be tied to the camera.
A character is a tool for interacting with the game world, these are legs and arms. The main impact of a stun grenade is on your eyes and ears, that is, on the camera. The secondary effect is damage to the character. 

I haven't played PUBG. Judging by the description, the error is that flash grenades have an effect on the character. For flash-noise grenades to work correctly, you need to bind their action to the camera. That is, you need two parameters:
1. distance of the camera from the explosion site;
2.whether the explosion is within the camera's field of view.
It is also worth considering the effect on third-party players.
Bottom line: Stun grenades can be used successfully in a third-person game.

To add flashbang grenades to the APB, you need to create a clone of any grenade, reduce its damage, add new effect particles, add a condition to the code whether the CAMERA sees the particle effect or not. If the CAMERA does not see the particle effect, the character takes damage from the explosion, the camera remains ok. If the CAMERA sees the particle effect, the character takes damage and the camera lights up for a few seconds. For the explosion stun effect, the grenade effect must be locked to the camera.

Edited by Yapopal