Jump to content

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, qb said:

that project actually got scraped? LMAO

when was this revealed????

one of the mattscott q&a sessions iirc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2021 at 2:04 AM, PLAYLUXE said:

- deletes APB Reloaded completely (including accounts, progress etc.)

i worked way too hard on my account to have it wiped no thx

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

APB's main "selling point" for me was the unrivaled freedom of customization it offers, I have never played a shooting game prior to APB:Reloaded, nor will I in the future. Admittedly, I would be saddened to see all of my creations gone, but I could eventually cope with it, however there is a plethora of unique, extraordinary and amazing creations over there, accumulated over the years and deleting those would straightforwardly be an inadmissible sin.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/26/2021 at 1:55 PM, Bambola said:

APB's main "selling point" for me was the unrivaled freedom of customization it offers, I have never played a shooting game prior to APB:Reloaded, nor will I in the future. Admittedly, I would be saddened to see all of my creations gone, but I could eventually cope with it, however there is a plethora of unique, extraordinary and amazing creations over there, accumulated over the years and deleting those would straightforwardly be an inadmissible sin.

Export now ūüėĄ¬†

clickmysignature

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Queen of Love said:

Export now ūüėĄ¬†

clickmysignature

I have actually tried to use the Ninja Ripper once to rip my characters' 3D meshes and textures, but never managed to do it, despite my husband's diligent assistance. Given I admittedly know nothing about computers, I could be wrong regarding this, but I suppose the issue was the ripping software getting blocked by the anti-cheat system, during its injection. If I recall correctly, we were using the Jenz's method. 

 

Either way, perhaps with more time and effort invested we could eventually export the models, but we certainly can't import them back to the game when needed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2021 at 9:04 AM, PLAYLUXE said:

Please read everything before commenting

 

What if Little Orbit:

 

- deletes APB Reloaded completely (including accounts, progress etc.)

- develops the game entirely from scratch with Unreal Engine 4/5

- compensates every player after release of the new game with the amount of credits they spend in the old version of APB

 

This way devs don't have to waste their time by working through junk code from RTW/G1 times. Instead they focus on developing the game on current technology with clean code.

Also it might be easier to find new employees since new blood devs are more likely to have learned working with newer versions of Unreal Engine rather then older versions.

 

And with the compensation, starting from beginning won't be a big deal for players since they can re-purchase everything. And they can re-explore the game with all it's new features and optimizations while working their way back to the top.

personaly i would not like to rework my character that i worked on. but that on the side and also to notify that they can't build another APB Brand becous they sold the name to another company they kinda are stuck.

 

but if the possibility was possible i doubt LO would be able to create a game like this from scratch.

 

Your purpose is intresting and what it takes to build a game would definitly take a while to finish. 

if a game like this came out and was worthy i would directly play it. whitout any care.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2021 at 5:05 PM, Y2Venom said:

I used to team with a former developer who explained the coding for apb was like a ball of elastic bands and was a nightmare to add things or take things away. It needs a lot of people to work on it. That was 6 years ago...... so who knows were it is now.

When APB was developed, RTW was simultaneously working on their "Project: MyWorld" system as well. It was essentially a facet of a game development suite (primarily a mapping SDK) which was supported to pretty much be Social District: The Game. The system would allow developers to all build games and maps in this system, and those assets would link together online to form a sort of Google Earth of interconnected game worlds. It was also going to incorporate social media aspects like Facebook and Twitter among other things. 

APB was built with this system in mind, and as a result it became this absolute nightmare of custom coding and wonky things that no one else in the industry really knows how to work on - it was built and coded to be compatible with ANOTHER game of theirs which never even came out. The game was built with Unreal as a foundation, but its such a bizarre hodgepodge mess of custom work that people couldn't just be hired to come in and work on it with Unreal knowledge - they had to be specially trained to work on APB. Having past Unreal experience isn't enough, you need the goddamn APB Rosetta Stone as well.

This is part of why new content came out at an absolute crawl after Reloaded, and why the Engine update has basically become a Half-Life 3 esque meme. Most of the staff who knew how to actually work on the game were lost with the shutdown, and only a few were left over at RP to fix the game and produce new content. MonteCristo essentially went from being a Character Artist at RTW, to being in charge of model and asset creation, animations, color corrections, weapon skins, character lore, 2D art assets (the ones made with 3D rendering at least); he basically had to build the entire weapon skin system from scratch (there were no Weapon Skins pre-Reloaded for those unaware). Meanwhile Qwentle and Androvald were playing the roles of codemonkey extraordinaires, and I -think- Hezeki was in charge of server function? 

Anyway, my point is, Qwentle was basically the last one to go (think he stuck around till 2019 when the UK offices were closed) and once he was gone, I figured that to be the last nail in the coffin for the game. Now its basically a few people in a pitch black room swinging a hammer around with hopes of seeing a net improvement. Im sure at least some information was passed down on how to work on APB, but... goddamn, it legitimately would probably be easier to just make a new game at this point using the existing art and sound assets.

But what do I know, I don't know banana about game development.

Edited by Rapid99
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Rapid99 said:

 

 

Anyway, my point is, Qwentle was basically the last one to go (think he stuck around till 2019 when the UK offices were closed) and once he was gone, I figured that to be the last nail in the coffin for the game. Now its basically a few people in a pitch black room swinging a hammer around with hopes of seeing a net improvement. Im sure at least some information was passed down on how to work on APB, but... goddamn, it legitimately would probably be easier to just make a new game at this point using the existing art and sound assets.

But what do I know, I don't know banana about game development.

Thanks for that info, its really interesting and if it had have been achieved, would have been amazing. Always though Social District is under utilized. There is a spot for people to DJ and many people dont even know about it. Too much standing around in a small area.  Weirdly its done quite well in second life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2021 at 7:16 AM, Rapid99 said:

When APB was developed, RTW was simultaneously working on their "Project: MyWorld" system as well. It was essentially a facet of a game development suite (primarily a mapping SDK) which was supported to pretty much be Social District: The Game. The system would allow developers to all build games and maps in this system, and those assets would link together online to form a sort of Google Earth of interconnected game worlds. It was also going to incorporate social media aspects like Facebook and Twitter among other things. 

APB was built with this system in mind, and as a result it became this absolute nightmare of custom coding and wonky things that no one else in the industry really knows how to work on - it was built and coded to be compatible with ANOTHER game of theirs which never even came out. The game was built with Unreal as a foundation, but its such a bizarre hodgepodge mess of custom work that people couldn't just be hired to come in and work on it with Unreal knowledge - they had to be specially trained to work on APB. Having past Unreal experience isn't enough, you need the goddamn APB Rosetta Stone as well.

This is part of why new content came out at an absolute crawl after Reloaded, and why the Engine update has basically become a Half-Life 3 esque meme. Most of the staff who knew how to actually work on the game were lost with the shutdown, and only a few were left over at RP to fix the game and produce new content. MonteCristo essentially went from being a Character Artist at RTW, to being in charge of model and asset creation, animations, color corrections, weapon skins, character lore, 2D art assets (the ones made with 3D rendering at least); he basically had to build the entire weapon skin system from scratch (there were no Weapon Skins pre-Reloaded for those unaware). Meanwhile Qwentle and Androvald were playing the roles of codemonkey extraordinaires, and I -think- Hezeki was in charge of server function? 

Anyway, my point is, Qwentle was basically the last one to go (think he stuck around till 2019 when the UK offices were closed) and once he was gone, I figured that to be the last nail in the coffin for the game. Now its basically a few people in a pitch black room swinging a hammer around with hopes of seeing a net improvement. Im sure at least some information was passed down on how to work on APB, but... goddamn, it legitimately would probably be easier to just make a new game at this point using the existing art and sound assets.

But what do I know, I don't know banana about game development.

Appreciate the summary.ūüĎć...thanksūüéÜ

 

Merged.

 

On 7/31/2021 at 5:48 PM, Y2Venom said:

 Always though Social District is under utilized. There is a spot for people to DJ and many people dont even know about it. Too much standing around in a small area.  Weirdly its done quite well in second life.

0_0...noted

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2021 at 10:16 AM, Deadliest said:

100 million dollar game you think they could start a brand new game? 
 

little orbit doesn’t produce triple A games, they don’t have the budget or the resources, developers etc.

 

If they could make a new game similar to apb, why would they acquire apb reloaded off gamerfirst in the first place?

 

 

100million game doesnt mean that it was managed well, as you can see from the state it came out as. Also the key feature that was unique (customazition) is not really unique anymore. And probably can be reproduced way cheaper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ebola-Chan said:

 the key feature that was unique (customazition) is not really unique anymore

There is another game with customization like APB?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:

There is another game with customization like APB?

theres a plugin available for unreal 4 that essentially replicates how apb does custom clothing iirc

 

cant remember the name but it had some ex-apb devs involved with it afaik

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, xiphos said:

theres a plugin available for unreal 4 that essentially replicates how apb does custom clothing iirc

 

cant remember the name but it had some ex-apb devs involved with it afaik

But there is no other game that has even equaled it or even got close to it in my opinion.  It always annoys me when you go on youtube and they give the top ten character creation in games and APB doesnt even get mentioned...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Y2Venom said:

But there is no other game that has even equaled it or even got close to it in my opinion.  It always annoys me when you go on youtube and they give the top ten character creation in games and APB doesnt even get mentioned...

as long as games are making money without it, i doubt most devs want to bother adding another complex and potentially resource hogging system to their game

 

it certainly doesn't help that the only example is a twice failed f2p game where the increased customization capability has negatively affected the pvp experience

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2021 at 2:04 AM, PLAYLUXE said:

Please read everything before commenting

 

What if Little Orbit:

 

- deletes APB Reloaded completely (including accounts, progress etc.)

- develops the game entirely from scratch with Unreal Engine 4/5

- compensates every player after release of the new game with the amount of credits they spend in the old version of APB

 

This way devs don't have to waste their time by working through junk code from RTW/G1 times. Instead they focus on developing the game on current technology with clean code.

Also it might be easier to find new employees since new blood devs are more likely to have learned working with newer versions of Unreal Engine rather then older versions.

 

And with the compensation, starting from beginning won't be a big deal for players since they can re-purchase everything. And they can re-explore the game with all it's new features and optimizations while working their way back to the top.


Meant to comment this but on this topic since it was newer. Im sleep deprived from constant 12's plus brain is smole so I apologize lmao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

√ó
×
  • Create New...