SKay

The Redhill ARG - An Analysis

The Redhill ARG sparked a huge uptake in interest in not necessarily APB as a whole, but was enough to turn heads and cause a flurry of messages back and forth in a collaborative effort to figure out the puzzles, and solve the riddles. My hats off to those who solved the various stages, we couldn't have done it alone. Now that it has ended there, we could've sat in a happy place and let sleeping dogs lie.

But I like numbers.

Data is fascinating, and the Redhill ARG sparked a unique opportunity for me to research it's impact, especially with regard to specific term usage, frequency of messages in regards to when they were sent, and how the top percentage of users compared to the rest of us. NOTE: No data has been exchanged that could even give an identifiable snippet of information. All data that was collected was anonymous, therefore no need to go ahead and sue me for displaying that you like cats on the internet (which ironically a lot of you did mention). So yeah. Don't sue me pls.

Data Point 1: Most mentioned words by relevancy to the ARG

4QrrtA0.png

This graph shows how much you lot liked saying a lot of peculiar key words, starting off with "password" (highlighted in yellow). "Password" is to be expected as it was a common issue throughout the ARG, and barring the fact that a lot of you said "code", it was used in a multitude of contexts (the code for finishing the ARG, the code of the actual website) and thus can't really be analyzed without breaking it down much further. A lot of letters and numbers were mentioned through most of the ARG, and this is reflected by the fact the words themselves appeared quite a number of times to compliment that (combining the fact that number was mentioned nearly as much, it means that numbers was the third highest mentioned word taking into regard context). However, a very surprising statistic is the number of mentions of the word "cat" and "spectogram", especially as they could've only have been mentioned in large numbers at the final stage of the ARG. It hints at a surprising statistic that the next graph shows, which is...

Data Point 2: How many messages were said in regards to when they were said

O81CDp1.png

Poor 3/17/2019, you never stood a chance. It had so little messages that day, it can't even get tall enough to have a blue colour. Bless.

What is the most surprising part is the "Final Day" statistic in respect to the rest of the entire ARG activity. The final day of mass activity in the channel (which was the day that everyone attempted to solve the final puzzle of the ARG) had more messages than all the other days the channel existed combined (582 more messages), and showed the effort that went in on that final day, and how much interest gained traction when the goal posts were in sight. It's interesting to see this huge update when the goal posts were in sight... could it be a coming together of separate groups together in one final push? Could it be that lurkers who had taken slight amounts of interest initially, now that the end is in sight threw their weight into helping the final 100 yards? I'll leave that up to you to decide.

Data Point 3: The Top 25 posters in the channel... what's their % of messages?

xmMr23i.png

Number 1 has no chill. 10% of the top 25 posters (1200 unique messages). I think you need a cuppa tea, go on. You deserve it.

The Top 25 posters within redhill accounted for 64% of the total amount of messages that were sent in the channel in total. So 25people also have no chill. Gotta go fast. GOTTA GO FAST. It also points to how the top level of messengers were frequently working together to work on a solution, and in research for working on their specific posting times, were constantly posting throughout the day and only stopping when supposedly going to sleep or to do work (some of you forwent that... dedication to the cause). Also a lot of the bottom of the Top 25 barrel said bees a lot. Obviously you're buzzing that you've made it to the list, and to that I say - congratulations, you're a statistic in this post :P.

Conclusion

I mean this isn't a thesis level investigative piece of work, it's just a simple top down look at the data to see what it could give, and what could be interesting to discuss with the wider community. It shows that a lot of people were very interested and invested in the ARG, and that is wonderful to see. It also shows that some of you need to chill. Including me, and such I'll conclude this initial post. But it was fun to spend an hour to just look at the data, and see how it shaped up.

You all should be proud to have worked together and had fun together. Maybe this will be a foreshadowing for good change to come.

• Like 10

But the most important statistic is missing: How many times the word "bee" or "bees" was mentioned? 😁

Jokes aside, very interesting statistics and thank you for sharing!

Edited by Saxtus
Happy bday SKay!
  • Like 2

This was a fun event and Im glad to see so many people were involved with working together in this old game 🙂

1 minute ago, MonteJr said:

This was a fun event and Im glad to see so many people were involved with working together in this old game 🙂

For me too, was an honor for me to participate in this spectacular-fun event. And im so happy to see how many peoples been there, try to solve it, try to do the detectives of the situation, damn!

I love APB and i love those peoples. 😃

Did some math about your birthday

2687d0f5a2100b08937ce73ebfbc8572.png

and the data does not lie, happy birthday skay

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, stargazer said:

Did some math about your birthday

2687d0f5a2100b08937ce73ebfbc8572.png

and the data does not lie, happy birthday skay

There's an issue with your data. His actual birthday is the one day that he doesn't get told Happy Birthday 😛  For his sake I won't post that date, you're welcome @SKay

2 minutes ago, Kevkof said:

There's an issue with your data. His actual birthday is the one day that he doesn't get told Happy Birthday 😛  For his sake I won't post that date, you're welcome @SKay

8a31b1670e940f03da5e0080f186c757.png

double birthday!

7 minutes ago, Kevkof said:

Probably 29th of February.

Edited by Szambi

8 minutes ago, Szambi said:

Probably 29th of February.

Closer than you think!!!

you tried , I appreciate it . this was the most visited topic in the last time . 21 page ., 510 replies ., 40098 views  .  in the game Total Members 8938,  Most Online 1336 . 

Honestly.... a few of us . I don't see a growing population.

Edited by Yood

This is pretty awesome, nice job on it SKay! I want to know who the top 25 were. 

1 hour ago, CookiePuss said:

Something tells me swear words and insults were scrubbed from the data. 

You'd be wrong 😛 None of the data was scrubbed, just omitted data due to not being relevant to the data presentation. F*ck got 86 hits for example.

1 hour ago, IROCkiller said:

This is pretty awesome, nice job on it SKay! I want to know who the top 25 were. 

Yes, woukd be verry interesting... 👍

> Writes well written topic

> Majority of replies are memes about himself

You shouldn't have cultured the memes potato man. You played yourself

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CookiePuss said:

Closer than you think!!!

Ohhh... I see...

Happy birthday @SKay! 🎂