SolomonBull

FE updates from outside the forums

Since there hasn't been an update here, I thought I'd pull some of the Twitter convos with @MattScott that have happened in the past little while that shed some light on what's up with Fallen Earth redevelopment related to what else LO is up to.

APB seems to continue to get a lot of attention. In November it entered a new beta phase, Someone asked if there were FE updates and the response was:

Unfortunately, nothing yet. We've got a couple immediate projects to ship, and then I can prioritize FE.

Unsung Story entered early access in December. In response to another question about the status of FE:

We've done significant pre-production on @FallenEarth. But I'm very aware of how small our studio is. We need to clear more bandwidth.

Seems like the LO team's time was significantly budgeted on APB and Unsung Story and FE comes next. 

• Thanks 2

I dont know why they are seeming to worry about APB more than FE. APB to me seems like it doesnt have the population it would have if FE was around. I only played the game for a year but man that year was amazing. i just pray to god it comes back sometime this year or next

• Like 1

On 1/14/2021 at 3:51 AM, NightTimeDoubie said:

I dont know why they are seeming to worry about APB more than FE. APB to me seems like it doesnt have the population it would have if FE was around. I only played the game for a year but man that year was amazing. i just pray to god it comes back sometime this year or next

I dunno, APB seems like a way more mainstream game that would have more continuity of player base than FE, making it a smarter business decision to focus on. Not to mention FE's myriad server and engine issues making it way easier to develop APB.

I think, critically, inheriting Unsung Story - which had obligations to Kickstarter backers - is the main barrier to FE being a focus. 

I just came back to play FE, man. It's been years and I came back to find FE gone in December. Hopefully FE comes back one day and some updates later this year.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Julian Bull said:

I dunno, APB seems like a way more mainstream game that would have more continuity of player base than FE, making it a smarter business decision to focus on. Not to mention FE's myriad server and engine issues making it way easier to develop APB.

I think, critically, inheriting Unsung Story - which had obligations to Kickstarter backers - is the main barrier to FE being a focus. 

They choose APB first becuase like you said it is easier. matt said at one point they basically took all versions of FE they had reverse made the dev tools and......

they barely or didnt work. like at all the whole game needs a redo and apb needs an upgrade. which cost less comes first

Well, keep thumbs up for Unsung Story and APB success. But APB meets much of competion from GTA Online today which grew over these years.

While be myself in world of CP2077 and being exciting about Badlands and roaming deserted areas, you also come to conclusion how many  things FE offered 10 years ago already. Shame.

Happy new year all.

I already warned that this would happen and that the game would be left in a drawer given how difficult it is to remake it.

A reset of the game with two or three maps and a very active player support would have made the miracle possible.

I think that this game offered as it was made (I speak in the past tense) things that no other game on the market can offer.

I do not think that this company is unprofessional, but it is a game that has not proven profitable at all and was a burden as long as there was not enough population to provide economic support.

Anyway, a request could be made to re-launch it, as I have said, that I believe that by testing nothing happens, and see if the game could be productive for the population as well as economically.

I believe that the bugs can be solved with the tools of the game itself, but a reset and a new way of protecting resources is mandatory, I already explained how.

If you have homesickness in this game, the closest thing, with factions, crafting, clans, pve, pvp, open world to explore, post-apocalyptic atmospheric environment, massively multiplayer online, with good apocalyptic soundtrack ... crossout ". The only downside is that what you drive is a vehicle and not a person. I say this from experience, experience of 2k hours played.

3 hours ago, Aroa Croft said:

Happy new year all.

I already warned that this would happen and that the game would be left in a drawer given how difficult it is to remake it.

A reset of the game with two or three maps and a very active player support would have made the miracle possible.

I think that this game offered as it was made (I speak in the past tense) things that no other game on the market can offer.

I do not think that this company is unprofessional, but it is a game that has not proven profitable at all and was a burden as long as there was not enough population to provide economic support.

Anyway, a request could be made to re-launch it, as I have said, that I believe that by testing nothing happens, and see if the game could be productive for the population as well as economically.

I believe that the bugs can be solved with the tools of the game itself, but a reset and a new way of protecting resources is mandatory, I already explained how.

If you have homesickness in this game, the closest thing, with factions, crafting, clans, pve, pvp, open world to explore, post-apocalyptic atmospheric environment, massively multiplayer online, with good apocalyptic soundtrack ... crossout ". The only downside is that what you drive is a vehicle and not a person. I say this from experience, experience of 2k hours played.

I realy like the idea to make a proposal to relaunch the game. The truth is that I miss it a lot and when they took it away, a part of me disappeared, so count on me. Greetings to all.

Fallout 76 has proven that there is a lot of demand for such a project, but the truth is that Icarus engine is much shittier than even Gamebryo is. Having a ton of preexisting assets is like 25% of the dev cycle. Even if they skip the persistent seamless world part (I doubt they will be able to pull it off at all, tbh) and just make it 64 player instance-based on Unity or UE or something it would still take a lot of effort and time. We would most likely end up with something like dead Grimlands or still alive Dead Frontier 2 which is not a bad thing, all things considered. IF it worked properly, that is.

On 1/30/2021 at 3:28 AM, Aroa Croft said:

You keep making the claim that it could "just be relaunched" but given what we've been told about the game's infrastructure I cannot understand why you still think this. I'm sure your ideas for how to correct the in-game problems are totally valid, but the problem wasn't those things. The problem was that it's just not feasible to maintain the game's weird old dedicated servers and third-hand spaghetti code. 

I agree that FE was unique and if it were relaunched today it would still offer things no other game does. But that, plus a move to a modern engine (one LO doesn't have to update and maintain themselves) and to cheaper, faster, more stable and scalable cloud servers, will be the difference between limping along with only the population of these forums and a possible second decade of play. 

I miss the game too but there's no quick fix for a house built on a foundation of sand. 

If the problem is the server today there are infinite options that are not very expensive, steam and other platforms offer many (dedicated servers).

The code of the game clearly shows that we cant compareh s1, s2, s3, the faction map and could include deadfall with the rest of the game.

My suggestion was to stop all scripts in the game except for s1 and s2 and put around of these maps with deadly radiation to prevent players from passing by, a test mode of the game.

My opinion that a game does not need "great graphics" but playability.

The original fallen earth had it and honestly what has made it explode (in terms of population) have been 3 things:

1. the disastrous updates,

2. the abuse of gms banning without sufficient reasons (this also goes for apb) and cheating by some players

3. the market crash (given the trick of duplicating objects, money), there is no more, it is simple, and from my point of view a controlled environment on two maps would free us from all this.

They are just ideas, but I know they would work. Option b, wait for nothing to happen, because nothing will happen. In my way we could support the game, just imagine that 1000 players are coming .........

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Aroa Croft said:

If the problem is the server today there are infinite options that are not very expensive, steam and other platforms offer many (dedicated servers).

The code of the game clearly shows that we cant compareh s1, s2, s3, the faction map and could include deadfall with the rest of the game.

My suggestion was to stop all scripts in the game except for s1 and s2 and put around of these maps with deadly radiation to prevent players from passing by, a test mode of the game.

My opinion that a game does not need "great graphics" but playability.

The original fallen earth had it and honestly what has made it explode (in terms of population) have been 3 things:

1. the disastrous updates,

2. the abuse of gms banning without sufficient reasons (this also goes for apb) and cheating by some players

3. the market crash (given the trick of duplicating objects, money), there is no more, it is simple, and from my point of view a controlled environment on two maps would free us from all this.

They are just ideas, but I know they would work. Option b, wait for nothing to happen, because nothing will happen. In my way we could support the game, just imagine that 1000 players are coming .........

Why don't we start a petition? We have nothing to lose ... If we support the game we will show LO that Fallen Earth is worth working on.

14 hours ago, mega-menfish said:

Why don't we start a petition? We have nothing to lose ... If we support the game we will show LO that Fallen Earth is worth working on.

im in

thanks memphis and the others, but I doubt they will even consider the proposal, even though we had 2000 signatures and 2000 subscriptions. But clearly it is the only option, to prove that this game is worth more than any other project they have. The worst thing to see that some speak of "" better graphics "" better code "" Improvement in whatever "but the players who have played since its inception know that this game is addictive, they only have to renew a couple of things and the game It would return to its splendor.The example is out there, there are a lot of games older than Fe and they still have an active population of thousands of players and they do not have powerful graphics or codes, my opinion.

2 hours ago, Aroa Croft said:

thanks memphis and the others, but I doubt they will even consider the proposal, even though we had 2000 signatures and 2000 subscriptions. But clearly it is the only option, to prove that this game is worth more than any other project they have. The worst thing to see that some speak of "" better graphics "" better code "" Improvement in whatever "but the players who have played since its inception know that this game is addictive, they only have to renew a couple of things and the game It would return to its splendor.The example is out there, there are a lot of games older than Fe and they still have an active population of thousands of players and they do not have powerful graphics or codes, my opinion.

Any idea about what we can do? We cannot let it die. Maybe the petition will show a community keen to see the game return and let LO know it's worth it. But if there are other possibilities then let's do it.

Im always gonna complain.. that the mutations r too weak..

But besides that, it's an awesome game, and I miss it as well. I think the real problem though, is noone knows the game exists.
if they relaunhced, with some kinda 'gift' for putting that u play fallen earth, on facebook or something, Or some kinda advetisment at all... It would be fine.

(i dont typically use social media, so i may be incredibly wrong) But nonetheless, everyone i talked to about this game, before and now, never heard of it at all.
the game is clearly good, amazing even. The problem almost has to be, noone knows the game exists. But, advertising is expensive, and on a low volume game... 'possibly', not worth it.

anyway, petition wise? im there as well.

Edited by BalidoreX

I miss Fallen Earth. I can not find anyother game like it.

What I would like to see when it gets back as reneweed would be strengtening mutations, the mutant story lines and dropping the boring weapon and technology based portion of the game. (I do not mean superpowers here; or X Men parody; but balancing how the mutations are used) There is a thousand other games that has high tech and spamming pistols and machine guns all acroos the net. It is a cliche now. Hi sci-fi, western wannabe and rambo wannabe characters and environment is truly boring. The stronger side of Fallen earth was the deep storyline, improvised tools, deep crafting system, beatifull virtual world (for those days standards) and mutated specialties at characters and npcs is still a very rare thing to see. 

Edited by Kutal

Mutas was cut cz of pvp whine, how overpowered they was.

Then they said the same about GORE weps...
And so on (Alpha release and having higher lvls than 55 discussion, which ended in...u know what, cz their argument was "we dont want to recalculate builds again",

like they do it themselfs, instead of some game fan enthusiasts)...
And so on...

Every game is like that. Listening to pvp oriented whineys cuts both them and pve players content too.
Option A - Diplomacy. Option B - War.

Either gotta ignore them, or change dmg done to players by mutas for ex, which is hard to do by FE standarts, cz players share same group as npcs.

Fail there, without some good old job done properly, by obvi, splitting players into another group (or buff for players that lowers dmg done to them?).

Unimportant, since game is down currently, and this isnt a priority.

And guns r a thing for some, even if u claim them as a "cliche" by ur own standarts. I do not mind them in any game. Some players too. Everyone call this having a choice.

Ur Cap)

Edited by Creeping Vulture

On 2/15/2021 at 4:15 PM, Creeping Vulture said:

Mutas was cut cz of pvp whine, how overpowered they was.

Then they said the same about GORE weps...
And so on (Alpha release and having higher lvls than 55 discussion, which ended in...u know what, cz their argument was "we dont want to recalculate builds again",

like they do it themselfs, instead of some game fan enthusiasts)...
And so on...

Every game is like that. Listening to pvp oriented whineys cuts both them and pve players content too.
Option A - Diplomacy. Option B - War.

Either gotta ignore them, or change dmg done to players by mutas for ex, which is hard to do by FE standarts, cz players share same group as npcs.

Fail there, without some good old job done properly, by obvi, splitting players into another group (or buff for players that lowers dmg done to them?).

Unimportant, since game is down currently, and this isnt a priority.

And guns r a thing for some, even if u claim them as a "cliche" by ur own standarts. I do not mind them in any game. Some players too. Everyone call this having a choice.

Ur Cap)

I mean... they had the ability to adjust abilities to do additional effects to NPCs. (Or simply NPC-only flagged abilities)

Also GORE, originally, could 1-2 shot without any real effort and could bypass equalizer debuffs (re-equip derp) set in place to keep high levels from camping lowbes in S2/S3 zones. And in those situations lowbes were always one shot.

A lot was cut as honestly the previous team(s) didn't know how to fix the boggled mess they provided previously... which is a travesty as many older effects could've easily been toned down to acceptable levels. Well that and a tiny bit of trial/error.