Jump to content

Recommended Posts

So I just read the new Code Of Conduct, please tell me that means dethreating is punishable, harshly if possible.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, >Reid< said:

So I just read the new Code Of Conduct, please tell me that means dethreating is punishable, harshly if possible.

Pretty sure Support said in as many words that it was against the old CoC too, they clearly could not enforce it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MrChan said:

Pretty sure Support said in as many words that it was against the old CoC too, they clearly could not enforce it.

Yeah I know, just asking the new staff about it really, I think a lot of old questions and answers aren't valid with this new change of staff ūüėĄ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Problem was, this game is F2P so banned people just constantly remade new accounts and more importantly, G1 is super lazy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the official definition of dethreating?

If I were to not play my best and goof around a bit lobbing percs resulting in extra deaths or loss of a match which negatively impacted my ranking, is that dethreating? Am I obligated to give 110% at all times?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mr Derp said:

What is the official definition of dethreating?

If I were to not play my best and goof around a bit lobbing percs resulting in extra deaths or loss of a match which negatively impacted my ranking, is that dethreating? Am I obligated to give 110% at all times?

It's one of those things where you know it when you see it. If you're messing around to the point of getting to silver then immediately switching to bronze servers you're obviously doing it on purpose.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ThatOneJerk said:

It's one of those things where you know it when you see it. If you're messing around to the point of getting to silver then immediately switching to bronze servers you're obviously doing it on purpose.

so blatant dethreating is against the ToS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mr Derp said:

so blatant dethreating is against the ToS.

Dethreating in general is, but I mean it's more of the fact of if you're a repeat offender it's obviously something you're doing on purpose.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was always against the rules and the CEO said just a few hours ago that it was as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Matt also said that the process of threat change needs to take longer, presumeably both going up and going down in threat. I assume the hope is that this will make the process of intentional dethreating more trouble than it is worth, as well as making it less likely you threat up after a few lucky matches. 

 

We will see though. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyway, on empty servers as nekrova you can detreat and play in 20/20 bronze, or wait for a mission for hours in empty silver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr Derp said:

What is the official definition of dethreating?

If I were to not play my best and goof around a bit lobbing percs resulting in extra deaths or loss of a match which negatively impacted my ranking, is that dethreating? Am I obligated to give 110% at all times?

As some others have explained to you, detreating is when a player purposely lowers their rank to be at an advantage so they get matched up with lesser skilled players. Now, dropping in rank doesn't mean right away you will be flagged for it. But as it goes, if you drop in your rank just to go back up soon after (because of obviously having more experience to get there), and immediately down again over and over again, then it is a fair assumption you might be doing it for the wrong reason. Basically, the repetitive pattern is what defines it as an offence, I'd say. 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most dethreaters will announce it to their team willingly as there hasn't been any sort of enforcement of their actions. They don't seem to care about their reputation as a player or the impact it has on the players around them.  Admittedly, I haven't done my part in submitting evidence to support to attempt to punish them either... can't be bothered most of the time.

I can play for an extended period and encounter no cheaters, but for sure I will encounter at least one if not more dethreaters (as a mostly solo player this is highly demoralizing). What does that say about the current state of affairs? Time will tell if the proposed changes will have an impact on this scourge. I am happy the issue is being recognized for what it is, at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If a player is always logging in, going to silver, goofing off for 3 missions, losing gold rank, then hopping to bronze and no longer messing around day after day. They are dethreating. I hope they up hold this and start punishing people for it. Bronze is getting way out of hand. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RitualLobotomy said:

As some others have explained to you, detreating is when a player purposely lowers their rank to be at an advantage so they get matched up with lesser skilled players. Now, dropping in rank doesn't mean right away you will be flagged for it. But as it goes, if you drop in your rank just to go back up soon after (because of obviously having more experience to get there), and immediately down again over and over again, then it is a fair assumption you might be doing it for the wrong reason. Basically, the repetitive pattern is what defines it as an offence, I'd say. 

What if you're one of those people who are legitimately borderline silver/gold?

I don't play in bronze districts. However, whenever I'm playing in normal districts, my threat can fluctuate a lot depending on how my opp is, and how consistent the opp is (matchmaking issue or something I guess). Some missions, I'll dethreat to silver (not on purpose), and the next mission right after, I'll get gold back. And I'll stay gold for a couple of missions, then I get certain opp, and I'm back down to silver.

I must reiterate. I do not dethreat on purpose, but it seems to happen to me a lot from just playing normally.

Edited by Sadira
missed a word

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sadira said:

What if you're one of those people who are legitimately borderline silver/gold?

I don't play in bronze districts. However, whenever I'm playing in normal districts, my threat can fluctuate a lot depending on my opp is, and how consistent the opp is (matchmaking issue or something I guess). Some missions, I'll dethreat to silver (not on purpose), and the next mission right after, I'll get gold back. And I'll stay gold for a couple of missions, then I get certain opp, and I'm back down to silver.

I must reiterate. I do not dethreat on purpose, but it seems to happen to me a lot from just playing normally.

Theres a difference between changing threats inside of the same district, and messing around missions just to hop to a lower district and beat up on easy opp. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Progeekzy said:

Theres a difference between changing threats inside of the same district, and messing around missions just to hop to a lower district and beat up on easy opp. 

That is true. I was just kinda slightly concerned about being called a dethreater and stuff because of how I'm silver/gold sometimes because I have bad days.

Edited by Sadira

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mr Derp said:

Am I obligated to give 110% at all times?

Taht's exactly what I'm thinking; I didn't play serious sometimes, I used guns I'm bad at and also scaled my skill down against easy opp so they have a funner time, I have to squash the noobs I run across? That's not very nice :<

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dethreating is very hard to enforce. I'm interested to see how LO plans on handling it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Dexem said:

Dethreating is very hard to enforce. I'm interested to see how LO plans on handling it.

Didn't you dethreat back in 2014?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

Didn't you dethreat back in 2014?

No that was probably someone with a similar name,

 

dxn...

dexate...

 

couldn't tell you. I've been gold since I got gold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Problem with that, is that punishing people for it creates a bit of a dodgy scenario where you can't be sure it was deserved or not.
Plus considering the fact you are treating them as cheaters, where a majority might not even know it isn't allowed.

APB sort of has got more competitive districts (where threat matters) than regular ones and the majority of the community is on the competitive part. So like, if you want to just play for fun with your friends, who might not be at the same threat range, it creates a problem of sorts. 


On the other side, there are those dorks who justify dethreating because they had "no other choice", but to pray on new players for self-fulfillment. I honestly am agreeing more and more with the idea of everything or at least the majority of the districts being "open-districts".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Archon said:

Taht's exactly what I'm thinking; I didn't play serious sometimes, I used guns I'm bad at and also scaled my skill down against easy opp so they have a funner time, I have to squash the noobs I run across? That's not very nice :<

A friend and I played with nothing but pistols to improve our pistol skills. He dropped to silver in the process. Our gameplay was absolute garbage while we figured out which tactics to use, but eventually improved. Someone who called backup and got us might get all salty and view it as an attempt at dethreating, but it legitimately wasn't. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Sadira said:

That is true. I was just kinda slightly concerned about being called a dethreater and stuff because of how I'm silver/gold sometimes because I have bad days.

Sure. So now the paranoia will sit in the back of your mind that if you go into a lower district you'll be viewed as a dethreater, so you could potentially say in the higher threat server and continually be curbstomped until you don't enjoy yourself anymore and leave.

 

IMHO dethreating is an action that needs to be witnessed by a GM. We have all seen dethreaters before and there is a marked difference between someone who is bad or having an off day and someone who is purposely losing and playing poorly in order to drop to a lower district to troll.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

√ó
×
  • Create New...