Seedy

A concern about Phasing

When we get this phasing thing on the go and we are dragged in to game with people across districts, will there be other people there in separate missions? The reason I am asking about this is because, the whole feel and flow of APB is that there is always something going on around about you when your in the game. There could be 3 different battles going on for different things in the same area which makes APB the game it is and seriously enhances the excitement of the game play.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Seedy said:

When we get this phasing thing on the go and we are dragged in to game with people across districts, will there be other people there in separate missions? The reason I am asking about this is because, the whole feel and flow of APB is that there is always something going on around about you when your in the game. There could be 3 different battles going on for different things in the same area which makes APB the game it is and seriously enhances the excitement of the game play.

Very likely, because afaik the phasing system will work in the way of finding best opposition, moving you in their district instance or them to your, depends on amount players in district copies

7 minutes ago, Pangolier said:

This game never been for soft people... like i explained, you can do everything you named for them to be more "comfortable" and still, they will quit for a reason or another. 

Unifying servers will be a lag fest, and will force people who is used to lower pings to quit.

That phasing or i dont know what will get u load screens all the time, i think it will be like switching districts with every match it starts? With all that it implies -like spawning again, spawn car, etc.- it will be really annoying imo. That means less pop again, but maybe its just me.

20 minutes ago, Lign said:

Very likely, because afaik the phasing system will work in the way of finding best opposition, moving you in their district instance or them to your, depends on amount players in district copies

But thats how i perceive it... it could be worst.

If changes will go so deep why not shutting down apb and relaunch it with another name with 3.5? Like "riot reloaded" heh.

a new pandora box, can be the bigest fail of LO .. or not

so in fact we will have 2 social district , marina and the "action" district where we wait for mission, and than jumpin in a noman's land ?

Phasing been around for years now. Think World of Warcraft.

So you will probably roam around in Financial or Waterfront, seeing other players, ram raiding and stealing cars, witnessing criminals committing crime, talking to your contacts, griefing out of mission players at the gazstation, spontaneous racing etc - just like today. Just that when you get into a mission other players will probably just fade away out of vision and it will only be you, your team, the opposing team and a district full of NPCs, vehicles and objectives.

I think the only major mechanic that will change is the bounty system (as if you are 5 starts while in mission only your team and the opposing team will see you). I love hunting prestige 5 players even if they currently are in mission 😕

And of course out of mission "ghosting" and out of mission "griefing" will also no longer be a "thing" (but this is good).

• Like 2

This will kill APB once and for all, stop acting like out of mission griefing is a big deal, unless you're mentally handicapped, it isn't

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -Dan- said:

This will kill APB once and for all, stop acting like out of mission griefing is a big deal, unless you're mentally handicapped, it isn't

No one but you mentioned out of mission griefing? So... what are you on about?

51 minutes ago, TheJellyGoo said:

No one but you mentioned out of mission griefing? So... what are you on about?

Bishada did

1 hour ago, Bishada8800 said:

And of course out of mission "ghosting" and out of mission "griefing" will also no longer be a "thing" (but this is good).

15 minutes ago, -Dan- said:

Bishada did

Pretty sure he meant people that are not in the mission griefing/ghosting people in missions.

Otherwise I wouldn't know what could be ghosted for non-missions. 

Unless of course you think that is also not an issue? Feel like could be a misunderstanding in definition here?

32 minutes ago, -Dan- said:

Bishada did

ehh. I don't think out of mission griefing add to the game. and i don't think it will be missed if we can no longer do it. but i am also not bothered with it. I just mentioned it as one of the mechanics what will change. not that the game will be unplayable without it or anything. lol 😃

16 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:

As I understand it, you will not be given your own instance.

Yeah, I guess it can also suck you into an existing instance (based on location of most participants in the mission).

4 minutes ago, Bishada8800 said:

Yeah, I guess it can also suck you into an existing instance (based on location of most participants in the mission).

I dont have the technical knowledge to guess, but maintaining the "living city" feel seems important to LO, which I think the majority of players will appreciate.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, TheJellyGoo said:

Pretty sure he meant people that are not in the mission griefing/ghosting people in missions.

Otherwise I wouldn't know what could be ghosted for non-missions. 

Unless of course you think that is also not an issue? Feel like could be a misunderstanding in definition here?

Yes, that's what I meant, people outside of your mission griefing you

Edited by -Dan-

12 minutes ago, -Dan- said:

Yes, that's what I meant, people outside of your mission griefing you

Oh, I thought it was about griefing with no one in a mission.

It's pretty self explanatory that griefing/ghosting is done by a third party not involved in the mission so the whole "out of mission" confused the hell outta me.

Well, that's a major issue for big streamers though.

For example if summit (or any other streamer) should really decide to come back to check out the EU then there needs some sort to prevent that.

Either streamer mode or through instant phasing. Personally I'd hate to lose the flair but if that could give us a chance to somewhat get positive exposure I'm all for it.

Edited by TheJellyGoo

phasing is just supposed to match people into as balanced (skill/ping/location) matches as possible

afaik the goal is to have financial district with, for example, multiple 25v25 instances and players will bounce around between those instances as they phase - there won’t be any “private instances”, unless orbit decides to specifically lean into that in the future, perhaps for clan/arranged matches

1 hour ago, TheJellyGoo said:

Oh, I thought it was about griefing with no one in a mission.

It's pretty self explanatory that griefing/ghosting is done by a third party not involved in the mission so the whole "out of mission" confused the hell outta me.

Well, that's a major issue for big streamers though.

For example if summit (or any other streamer) should really decide to come back to check out the EU then there needs some sort to prevent that.

Either streamer mode or through instant phasing. Personally I'd hate to lose the flair but if that could give us a chance to somewhat get positive exposure I'm all for it.

A ten minute delay on the stream would work

Edited by -Dan-

38 minutes ago, -Dan- said:

A ten minute delay on the stream would work

And kill any viewer interaction which is one of the major selling points of most streams.
Also wouldn't even work in APB... can still easily find and harass the streamer.

There is a reason why "streamer-mode" is a necessity and selling point in games nowadays.

Edited by TheJellyGoo

I don't like any of these "let's make apb a competitive game" changes people want.

Like ghosting in missions so you can drive through unopposed peoples cars or even making them disappear completely and so on.

APB has always been this open world game where you see chaos and people fighting and driving everywhere.

It would suck so much life out of the game if the only thing you could see or interact with are your teammates or enemies.

I just hope they're doing phasing right, and don't go towards THAT direction.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Phasing is simply our term for seamlessly moving a player between two instances of the same type of district. It allows us to matchmake across instances and then aggregate each side together. In rare cases we may need to spin up a new instance which may be empty for a time till we add more players, but for the most part players will be moved to instances where other missions are taking place.

Phasing can sometimes be confused with Instancing, where players are moved to a unique unpopulated area to play just for their quest/mission/etc. We are NOT implementing Instancing.

Thanks,

Matt

• Like 11
  • Thanks 6

If nothing will be done then even if he should decide to check it out it will not turn out any different. Mark my words.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, TheJellyGoo said:

If nothing will be done then even if he should decide to check it out it will not turn out any different. Mark my words.

Not gonna lie that looks stupidly fun and is one of the things that make APB APB.

Not so much fun for big streamers but that's on them if they decide to play open world games and refuse to put in a delay.

23 minutes ago, GhosT said:

Not gonna lie that looks stupidly fun and is one of the things that make APB APB.

Not so much fun for big streamers but that's on them if they decide to play open world games and refuse to put in a delay.

Please, delay is not a solution (especially not in APB). Sure looks fun for a few minutes... not if you want to play missions.

Like I said... I like the charm and flair that comes with APB. I just think if possible one should at least think about a solution.
Maybe not a global change but just something like a streamer program to apply for special privileges if necessary (own instance, phased, ...) whatever the system allows and is viable.

Edited by TheJellyGoo

1 hour ago, MattScott said:

Hi all,

Phasing is simply our term for seamlessly moving a player between two instances of the same type of district. It allows us to matchmake across instances and then aggregate each side together. In rare cases we may need to spin up a new instance which may be empty for a time till we add more players, but for the most part players will be moved to instances where other missions are taking place.

Phasing can sometimes be confused with Instancing, where players are moved to a unique unpopulated area to play just for their quest/mission/etc. We are NOT implementing Instancing.

Thanks,

Matt

So how about the concern that this is going to foist constant load times on people due to constantly having to change into other districts? Can you finally comment on this since it's been asked about repeatedly for the past year without response?

6 minutes ago, Hexerin said:

So how about the concern that this is going to foist constant load times on people due to constantly having to change into other districts? Can you finally comment on this since it's been asked about repeatedly for the past year without response?

what part of “seamlessly” don’t you understand?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1