Jump to content
MattScott

June 2019 Update

Recommended Posts

On 6/23/2019 at 3:15 AM, StubbyClaps said:

Fallen Earth will never make money. It's literally a waste of dollars, time, and energy. LO's only hope of making a profit off of Fallen Earth is to actually create a whole new one. It's idiotic to think that a 10 year old dead mmo will somehow magically be revived.  I would love for Fallen Earth to be supported for another ten years, but Matt clearly stated Fallen Earth doesnt even make enough to support its self. We are supposed to be grateful for a server that cant support itself. Thats not a healthy relationship. How many people are actually working on Fallen Earth? We havent seen ANY progress in over year meanwhile APB has had a few updates, new content and new game modes.

Please feel free to enjoy APB then. I'm sure you'll find plenty of like-minded souls in that forum. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, zootie said:

Please feel free to enjoy APB then. I'm sure you'll find plenty of like-minded souls in that forum. 

Do you have thousands of dollars to keep the FE server up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StubbyClaps said:

Do you have thousands of dollars to keep the FE server up?

Why don't you go to the forums of a game you like, instead of hanging around trashposting this one. You're way past the line for moderation as it is. 

  • Like 2
  • Dislike 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, zootie said:

Why don't you go to the forums of a game you like, instead of hanging around trashposting this one. You're way past the line for moderation as it is. 

I am deeply passionate about Fallen Earth. However when the CEO of the company tells me Fallen Earth cannot support itself, what other conclusion is there to come to? Pretending there is no problem and acting like FE is making some sort of progress shows me you have zero clue about what is actually going on. Would you like to know how many people are working on Fallen Earth? Ill give you a hint: Its less than 2 and he/she is from Turkey

Edited by StubbyClaps
  • Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2019 at 2:08 PM, zootie said:

Why don't you go to the forums of a game you like, instead of hanging around trashposting this one. You're way past the line for moderation as it is. 

Way past the line for moderation? So someone speaking their mind and a different ideal to those that constantly make sure their blinkers are on tight need to be moderated?

 

FE was never a very popular game. Can't deny that fact. All good things must come to end. Another fact. Just because someone can see that a game that doesn't make enough money to even cover its costs, is nothing more than a money pit, regardless of how much they love the game, shows they actually have working synapses.

 

Some are glad FEs lights are still on, others realise that things will never improve greatly. It doesn't make sense to invest in a game that would be lucky to get several hundred players (it would be a miracle at this point). Do as one of my friends once stated "enjoy it while it lasts, as nothing lasts forever" and remember to look back fondly upon the good times had when the lights eventually go out for good.

  • Dislike 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Publishers of Ryzom were in a very similar situation, and their decision to open source the client and server proved to be what they needed to keep their game afloat. Aka "Ryzom Core".

Ryzom is even older than FE, and has been open source since 2010. It proved to have a small, but very energetic open source development community keeping the development pipelines up to date, keeping it able to build under modern versions of operating systems freeing the paid staff to develop content and focus on operations.

The funding for the switch to open-source was done via a successful crowd-funding campaign, where 172k Euros were raised for the transition.  I figure there is a transition as open sourcing means taking spacial care with any licensed technologies being used in the existing client and server. I dunno the nature of the limits you have with the legacy Icarus code, but I am thinking if it is proprietary, and it is yours now, then the limits on open sourcing may be few.

At any rate, it saved Ryzom form the grave, and that game is still here, and they managed to modernize their code base and toolset as a result rather than port it to something new,

I mean porting to new engines is a LOT harder than anyone thinks. Many MMO projects have tried it, and cases of it succeeding are rare. (like how the attempt for The Repopulation was a train-wreck). The only case I can recall where it worked was Anarchy Online but it took like 6 years, and they had all the resources of Funcom who was a lot better off financially and could support the project.

Anyway, Ryzom/Ryzom Core is a real world example of open sourcing a MMO actually worked to save the game, and has kept it going since. Maybe worth seeing if a similar path could be followed?




 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/6/2019 at 3:01 PM, Dracio said:

Way past the line for moderation? So someone speaking their mind and a different ideal to those that constantly make sure their blinkers are on tight need to be moderated?

 

FE was never a very popular game. Can't deny that fact. All good things must come to end. Another fact. Just because someone can see that a game that doesn't make enough money to even cover its costs, is nothing more than a money pit, regardless of how much they love the game, shows they actually have working synapses.

 

Some are glad FEs lights are still on, others realise that things will never improve greatly. It doesn't make sense to invest in a game that would be lucky to get several hundred players (it would be a miracle at this point). Do as one of my friends once stated "enjoy it while it lasts, as nothing lasts forever" and remember to look back fondly upon the good times had when the lights eventually go out for good.

and this is said by a person who thinks he is "expert" in the game when he began to play in 2014 when the game was already dead.......  if you think the game was not popular it's because you did not play it when it was popular.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@ matscott :

you know very well where the problem is, this is like a movie and we are already in the final credits. What you should do is put the movie back again so that people can sit and watch it. if it can be an improved version of the movie better, but the game needs more players and not graphics. Leaving two maps for a year would allow a lot of people to get into the game and maybe it was a solution to the lag and all the problems that occurred because the load of the map would be much smaller, think green! positivism!

(trust someone who has played this game since 2011 and not people who played when the game was already dead.)

  • Dislike 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2019 at 5:04 PM, Aroa Croft said:

and this is said by a person who thinks he is "expert" in the game when he began to play in 2014 when the game was already dead.......  if you think the game was not popular it's because you did not play it when it was popular.

 

Kindly stop arguing with Ronnie, it only gives him a boner and you're only making his messiah complex worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/12/2019 at 12:04 AM, Aroa Croft said:

and this is said by a person who thinks he is "expert" in the game when he began to play in 2014 when the game was already dead.......  if you think the game was not popular it's because you did not play it when it was popular.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@ matscott :

you know very well where the problem is, this is like a movie and we are already in the final credits. What you should do is put the movie back again so that people can sit and watch it. if it can be an improved version of the movie better, but the game needs more players and not graphics. Leaving two maps for a year would allow a lot of people to get into the game and maybe it was a solution to the lag and all the problems that occurred because the load of the map would be much smaller, think green! positivism!

(trust someone who has played this game since 2011 and not people who played when the game was already dead.)

Ever looked at your 'Joined date'? It is 2013. Which means by your logic you were not in FE when it was 'popular' either. As I've stated before, you cannot go by the join dates on the forums as they do not necessarily align with the correct starting date of a person playing FE.

                                                                                                                      aroa.jpg

 

As I've said before, I've played longer than my join date, have over 20k hrs in FE (shameful I know) but am far from an expert. Just an avid gamer that happens to like FE.

 

FE was never really popular. It never had 100k players. Its peak when it hit Steam was 1k players. That isn't popular. Only a fool would think otherwise...

 

The older players that have been in FE since 2009 would tell me stories of having to queue for ages just to get into FE and if more than a few hundred players were online (if that) the servers would crash. But that was way back in the beginning. The player base in FE has always been on the small scale for an mmo, admittedly it is now at its worst as far as player numbers go.

 

On 7/13/2019 at 4:58 AM, KatArus said:

Kindly stop arguing with Ronnie, it only gives him a boner and you're only making his messiah complex worse.

Who is this Ronnie you speak of?

Edited by Dracio
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2019 at 1:34 AM, zootie said:

Please feel free to enjoy APB then. I'm sure you'll find plenty of like-minded souls in that forum. 

giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2019 at 8:49 AM, Dracio said:

Ever looked at your 'Joined date'? It is 2013. Which means by your logic you were not in FE when it was 'popular' either. As I've stated before, you cannot go by the join dates on the forums as they do not necessarily align with the correct starting date of a person playing FE.

                                                                                                                      aroa.jpg

 

As I've said before, I've played longer than my join date, have over 20k hrs in FE (shameful I know) but am far from an expert. Just an avid gamer that happens to like FE.

 

FE was never really popular. It never had 100k players. Its peak when it hit Steam was 1k players. That isn't popular. Only a fool would think otherwise...

 

The older players that have been in FE since 2009 would tell me stories of having to queue for ages just to get into FE and if more than a few hundred players were online (if that) the servers would crash. But that was way back in the beginning. The player base in FE has always been on the small scale for an mmo, admittedly it is now at its worst as far as player numbers go.

 

Who is this Ronnie you speak of?

let's see if you have something called intelligence after this argument:

Croft is my second character, before I started with another character and I have not been interested at all in the pvp until the end of 2011 since my initial character has all the crafting (I think it takes time this, at least a year that I know) With this, the video that I show and knowing that it is not easy to learn pvp in this game it is clear to see the date that I started playing, being at least when the death toll books was the strongest of the game and everything was balanced (this is the game space that I think was the most addictive and the one that should be put) By the way, I laugh about your 20,000 hours of play because I do not remember that 1 was in the most splendid time of the game.

 

I am left with an hour of the time that was a game to play 20K hours (if it were true that I doubt it) that you had played your game in a dead game

 

 

 This is link of video, not done by me btw, if not by people who acepted me in their team because i was good doing pvp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smW4wwpLwr0

 

 

 

after see video, you can FEEL what means pvp ( is not like today OBVIUSLY)

Edited by Aroa Croft
  • Dislike 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Aroa Croft said:

let's see if you have something called intelligence after this argument:

Croft is my second character, before I started with another character and I have not been interested at all in the pvp until the end of 2011 since my initial character has all the crafting (I think it takes time this, at least a year that I know) With this, the video that I show and knowing that it is not easy to learn pvp in this game it is clear to see the date that I started playing, being at least when the death toll books was the strongest of the game and everything was balanced (this is the game space that I think was the most addictive and the one that should be put) By the way, I laugh about your 20,000 hours of play because I do not remember that 1 was in the most splendid time of the game.

 

I am left with an hour of the time that was a game to play 20K hours (if it were true that I doubt it) that you had played your game in a dead game

 

 

 This is link of video, not done by me btw, if not by people who acepted me in their team because i was good doing pvp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smW4wwpLwr0

 

 

 

after see video, you can FEEL what means pvp ( is not like today OBVIUSLY)

 

It doesn't take a year to max all crafting on a character. Can be done in roughly a month or so if you are really organised. I have several max crafters and didn't spend much time doing them all. Leveling crafting is a great way to passively level your toon. But hey, only a person with experience in FE would know this.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dracio said:

 

It doesn't take a year to max all crafting on a character. Can be done in roughly a month or so if you are really organised. I have several max crafters and didn't spend much time doing them all. Leveling crafting is a great way to passively level your toon. But hey, only a person with experience in FE would know this.

 

then do a sum, read what I have exposed, watch the video (and with what players I am in the team, since they were experts in pvp) and you have to know one thing and have it clear, I have not been a casual player if not rather a social player I have always tried to group the largest number of people in order to make the game more fun for everyone, saying this do not take me as your enemy as I see you always take me or as someone else does inthis chat

My goal is that the game is again a game as it was in 2011 or 2012, simply a game that "hooks people" and has a marked role. By the way, if it is true that I registered in the forum in 2013 (the forum and game accounts were separate)

  • Dislike 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2019 at 8:00 PM, MattScott said:

I wish I could fast forward time and get through this process a lot quicker, but it took years for Icarus to create their engine and more time to create Fallen Earth on top of that. 

 

Thumbs up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...