AntonChigurh

Win 10+ Coercion/ Bypass possibilities?

Hello,

I just wanted to play some APB and found out that the Operating System Censorship is already in effect (you have to run Win10 or higher in order to use Easy Anti Cheat).

Honestly I do not expect any solidarity whatsoever from neither the community nor the dev team but my hope is still alive.

What I expect is "change your OS or f* off" and redundant explanations as to why the regulation has come and will remain in effect without exceptions.

Still, I would like to keep playing APB on my favorite operating system.

Is there at least efforts to improve EAC in a way OS do not affect it... I mean we all know EAC is not fit for purpose anyway and cheaters will continue cheating - even if it was a great means of keeping hacks out of the game cheating and anticheat would still be in never ending cat and mouse relationship. I dont see the necessity for the user to be forced to use Win10+ or stop playing... and I'm also not interested in learning about the thought process behind such idiocy.

Is there at least a way to bypass the change? Or is this the time to say good bye to the game for good?

Thank You whoever reads this and cares to leave a meaningful reply

• Like 3

And how hypocritical the post from the community manager looks: Note that said adjustments include the termination of APB: Reloaded support for Windows systems 7, 8, and 8.1. Keep this change in mind should you experience any performance issues.
How can performance issues arise, if EAC simply does not allow the game to load?

Not without risking a ban. Technically you can run APB in a virtual machine. but it requires making the VM look like a physical machine to bypass EAC's VM detection. LO can allow virtual machines to be used, but that opens another security hole, not that there isn't a giant one already by not having server sided anti-cheat measures.

I'm another Windows 7 user. Windows 7 was the last working OS from Microsoft. 8, 8.1, 10, all broke themselves during updates. Windows 11 looks like Mac but crashes like Windows ME.

Edited by BlatMan
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, TheMessiah said:

win10 can run even on older machines so better switch to dat..but yea win7 was best

I wouldn't refer to what windows 10 does as "run". More like walks with two canes with no legs, and is an alcoholic suffering from dementia. It can't remember any settings between updates. Always reverts stuff back to default. It wiped my user profile on multiple PCs. It's broken itself after an update. The stupid thing goes into sleep mode while in the middle of patching, breaking itself.

I've imaged 1000s of PCs, and every time there's an update some of them fail at updating or simply break. All the same base image with minimal software differences. Same hardware. All the same group policy.

I'd trust Windows ME over 10 for stability.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BlatMan said:

I wouldn't refer to what windows 10 does as "run". More like walks with two canes with no legs, and is an alcoholic suffering from dementia. It can't remember any settings between updates. Always reverts stuff back to default. It wiped my user profile on multiple PCs. It's broken itself after an update. The stupid thing goes into sleep mode while in the middle of patching, breaking itself.

Don't blame the OS for your own incompetence.

Never had issues with Windows 10 on multiple PC's and Laptops. Sounds like skill issue just upgrade with a clean install or you will become a part of Ivans botnet soon enough.

• Like 1

It's the end users fault for everyone who has the invisible mission markers. I have never had it happen, so it must be their fault.

True that.

This windows 10 thing is getting more annoying: steam, rockstar launcher and now apb.

Not that I am very active at the game recently, but I sure won't "upgrade" when they're trying to force me.

I play old sh*t, like apb, yeah. My pc is old as well, just enough to play my favourite old sh*t. It does run win7 fine, but it can't take win10. I am not buying new pc because suddenly every corporate f*cks in 2023 decided I have to.

I'd rather just stick to old offline stuff, than submit to this extortion.

Your game clearly does not require win10 in any way, as it didn't in past 12 years.

If you can't deal with eac, find another anticheat.

Edited by Gro
  • Like 1

On 11/13/2023 at 8:13 PM, Gro said:

True that.

This windows 10 thing is getting more annoying: steam, rockstar launcher and now apb.

Not that I am very active at the game recently, but I sure won't "upgrade" when they're trying to force me.

I play old sh*t, like apb, yeah. My pc is old as well, just enough to play my favourite old sh*t. It does run win7 fine, but it can't take win10. I am not buying new pc because suddenly every corporate f*cks in 2023 decided I have to.

I'd rather just stick to old offline stuff, than submit to this extortion.

Your game clearly does not require win10 in any way, as it didn't in past 12 years.

If you can't deal with eac, find another anticheat.

You think every corporate does it out of ooh something new? They are doing it because Win 7 is EOL no more security updates and patches. *Pause* lil homie. 

On 11/13/2023 at 8:13 PM, Gro said:

I don't know how Win 10 is seemingly what makes or breaks your system, if it can handle Win 7 it should handle Win 10 just fine fine, especially if you debloat it. I understand not being able to use Win11 due to it requiring TPM 2.0 as well as Secure Boot but there's no excuse for not being able to install Win 10 unless you don't want to for whatever reason or your PC is more than a decade old running hardware that was already considered mediocre back then, in either case, no reason to drop an Anti-cheat that is working better than other solutions APB has had in the past.

Windows 7 is being phased out just how 32Bit systems were eventually phased out for gaming, its a bottleneck and possibly even a risk to continue supporting it so more and more companies are ending support much like Microsoft did.

Edit: Windows 7 is also only being used by around 1%~ of systems that use Steam, there is absolutely no reason to continue supporting it because it will cause issues sooner or later (if it isn't already)

Edited by Frosi

The Steam client didn't need a web browser. All it needed was a way to authenticate end users to give them access to their purchased games. All else is bloat.

Steam has a commandline based app called SteamCMD. It can run on XP. It lets you download games, but has no way to authenticate. Ironically, you can download every game Steam offers, even ones that are hidden from the store. It makes it easier to sail the seas by getting the original game files. but does nothing to help you play games you own on Steam.

Security? Lol. You can run Steam games through proton on Linux with the most insecure configuration. The reality is it's not profitable to keep someone around who knows how to develop on the old systems. People who know those systems are better off running their own company or working for the US government. There's plenty of old systems there.

• Like 2

On 11/16/2023 at 10:15 PM, Frosi said:

Blabla buy win10

1. Yes, i got 2013 laptop and it can't handle win10. Yet it handles apb just fine.

2. I don't have to have an "excuse" to use whatever os is suitable to me.

3."Continue supporting" means updating it. Forcing old programs to stop working on it w/o any reason whatsoever is not related in any way with "supporting".

Win7 has no support since 2020 or something around that. Wasn't an issue until after corporate f*cks suddenly decided to turn old stuff off in 2024 because f*ck you, thats why.

On 11/16/2023 at 9:49 PM, Gateron said:

You think every corporate does it out of ooh something new? They are doing it because Win 7 is EOL no more security updates and patches. *Pause* lil homie. 

Yes i do, for the reason stated in part 3.

Edited by Gro
  • Like 1

On 11/19/2023 at 8:54 AM, Gro said:

1. Yes, i got 2013 laptop and it can't handle win10. Yet it handles apb just fine.

3."Continue supporting" means updating it. Forcing old programs to stop working on it w/o any reason whatsoever is not related in any way with "supporting".

Win7 has no support since 2020 or something around that. Wasn't an issue until after corporate f*cks suddenly decided to turn old stuff off in 2024 because f*ck you, thats why.

laptops are not designed for gaming, buy a desktop. windows being updated has nothing to do with corporations bro

On 11/18/2023 at 2:54 PM, Gro said:

I'm sorry but I just don't believe you

FuA2gSg.png

I used to use Windows 7, until around 2017/2018.

A persistently online game with continual updates should realistically only need to worry about the support of the operating system that is currently actively being supported. "The game was released on Windows 7, and Steam says minimum requirements is Windows 7" is a moot point. Go get a PC with the minimum requirements. I guarantee it won't run. Those requirements are from 2011... on a game that has been updated every year to fix bugs, and include new hardware support.

Either figure out a way to get the game to work, or upgrade your operating system. If you really want a nice version of supported Windows, go get a copy of XP from the U.S. Navy, they pay millions to Microsoft for the OS support they receive.

Complain to Microsoft who keeps forcing unreasonable changes and issues down our throats with their O.S.'s

Install a Linux OS instead. There's even a thread on here getting APB to work on the Steam Deck... which runs Linux.

On 11/9/2023 at 11:35 AM, AntonChigurh said:

Operating System Censorship

What I expect is "change your OS or f* off" and redundant explanations as to why the regulation has come and will remain in effect without exceptions.

Still, I would like to keep playing APB on my favorite operating system.

Don't throw big words together and expect them to mean anything. No one is censoring you, you're not having your ability to spread speech hindered.

EAC works better than BattlEye after having seen the game switch between the two twice now. EAC and anti-cheat is a requirement for a competitive environment like APB.

Little Orbit isn't a government, they're a corporation, with a business to run. Profit motives and all. Your 'favorite' OS maybe the last great OS, but it certainly isn't a necessary cost when needing to allocate resources for the game.

On 11/18/2023 at 1:54 PM, Gro said:

Yes, i got 2013 laptop and it can't handle win10.

Unless your laptop has worse specs than my 2011 Dell Inspiron N5110, (i5-2000 series, 8 or 16GB of ram, I forget, Intel HD3000, and a 1TB SATA SSD) I don't believe you.

• Like 1

Another Windows 10 problem is input lag with DX9 games. Windowed mode has over 30ms input lag. There is no solution, just workarounds like playing in fullscreen, which also has issues. Fullscreen is not exclusive fullscreen, so there's still some noticeable input lag. You have to disable fullscreen optimizations for all games. You can do this automatically with a script. Also, most guides claim it's the Xbox DVR app. It's not. The same problem is on the LTSC Enterprise builds, which don't have the Xbox app.

With Windows 7, just launch the game. No special settings required.

• Like 1

I understand that you are frustrated about the OS censorship in APB and would like to continue playing on your favorite operating system. I cannot provide a way to bypass the change or offer any alternative solutions.

However, I suggest reaching out to the game's developer or community forums to voice your concerns and see if there are any efforts being made to improve EAC in a way that does not affect the operating system. It is possible that other players are facing similar issues and may have found a workaround.

On 11/23/2023 at 12:05 PM, MonkaS said:

I'm sorry but I just don't believe you

On 11/23/2023 at 11:21 PM, Sergsininia said:

I don't believe you.

Touché