MattScott

Fallen Earth Classic

Wow. This is incredible. Thanks so much for putting this out there. It brings back so many memories. 🙂

• Like 1

Do you know if there are plans to better stabilize the server? So far, myself and several friends have been unable to really play the game due to crippling lag issues. Mob warping around, or not showing until several minutes later. Unable to aim with any firearms or shoot, as we get persistent errors stating "can't do this right now" while mobs kill our characters. Our mounts suddenly vanish and are "dead" 10-15 min later after we road through a hostile location, etc. 

I loved this game so much when it first launched but its completely unplayable now, as these issues get worst and worst by the hour over the past 24 hours. =(

OMFG, I just found out now about the relaunch. Ty so much, I really missed the game. I wish stuff like that would happen more often, like with Tabula Rasa haha.

Having an issue with getting "blipped back". Usually when it seems I'm entering a different area. I tried to go around the area, but it kept moving me bacvk. Then I ended up at the character select screen and the game went off line. 

On 10/25/2021 at 7:57 AM, MattScott said:

Hi everyone,

It's been far too long between updates, but as some on you may have noticed I made a post on Twitter on the 2 year anniversary of taking down the Fallen Earth servers. After that I posted again in response to a tweet.

While I should have posted that here to begin with, I am happy to confirm that "Fallen Earth Classic" is going to be a real thing. We are now at the very late stages of getting the servers back online, and as some of you on Discord have noticed, parts of the game are responding again. There will be an announcement soon on the day of launch, but before that goes out, I want to raise a couple discussion points here to set expectations properly.

1) I'm doing this in the spirit of fun and just getting the game back online.

There were decisions that had to be made in order to pull this off. As we go through the rest of my bullets, just know that in each case I had to balance getting this back online in a reasonable amount of time versus the laundry list of things I'm sure players would have wanted. We did our best. My hope is that players will enjoy the challenge of re-conquering the wastelands from scratch while they wait for the next version of the game.

2) Steam doesn't work right now

We are waiting on Valve to restore the old game. As soon as that happens, then we'll post an update here.

3) Previously, we had some major issues hosting the game.

Nothing changed here. Those issues are wide ranging. They include being forced to host on old, out of support 32-bit Linux servers, attempting to work around a horribly bloated database with item duplicates everywhere, and expensive external hosting costs. 

This time around, we worked through each of those issues as we built the plan for bringing the game back online. We successfully recompiled under 64-bit and we're using new operating systems. We also completely wiped the server. (SIDE NOTE: I sometimes refer to this as "servers", but only because the physical implementation of Fallen Earth requires more than 16 different services spread across a number of boxes). That means that you wont have any previous progression - including characters, items, or G1 purchases. I know that's a bummer. Trust me. We looked at other ways to do this, but many of them would have required a lot more work, testing, and time.

This is an experiment. We wont really know how the game is going to perform till we get a bunch of players online.

Which leads me to...

4) There will be no paid options for the game.

For various reasons, I don't want to monetize this version of the game. It is truly free-to-play (refer back to #1 above). I'm going to look at turning on the highest level subscription rewards for everyone, but there wont be any ability to purchase anything from the online store. 

With that out of the way, I look forward to seeing you guys online.

Thanks,
Matt

What happened to #4?

When asked about marketplace items on discord you just stated you wanted to make sure the server performance was up to par before adding paid items? 

It did not take long to change your stance on that.

My understanding was that the previously paid items were coming in to be purchasable with chips from a vendor in game.

Having said that, server hosting, staff salaries and maintenance etc isn't free and a lot of people have shown up to play - I  for one would be very happy to support these costs and help ensure the game keeps going by throwing some cash LO's way

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Rovol said:

My understanding was that the previously paid items were coming in to be purchasable with chips from a vendor in game.

Having said that, server hosting, staff salaries and maintenance etc isn't free and a lot of people have shown up to play - I  for one would be very happy to support these costs and help ensure the game keeps going by throwing some cash LO's way

im in

i miss my hats, but i hope the old data is around for the remaster of the game so both can run along side eachother.

I'm assuming that once the steam version launches I can just pick up where I left off if I use the current launcher?

15 hours ago, wieditleestisg3k said:

I wonder how many people are playing fallen earth right now.

steam charts says there are currently 233 people online (but thats just throught steam)

Hard to tell but seemed like quite a lot when I was online

Merged.

On 10/30/2021 at 7:01 AM, Thadios said:

Do you know if there are plans to better stabilize the server? So far, myself and several friends have been unable to really play the game due to crippling lag issues. Mob warping around, or not showing until several minutes later. Unable to aim with any firearms or shoot, as we get persistent errors stating "can't do this right now" while mobs kill our characters. Our mounts suddenly vanish and are "dead" 10-15 min later after we road through a hostile location, etc. 

I loved this game so much when it first launched but its completely unplayable now, as these issues get worst and worst by the hour over the past 24 hours. =(

I suspect the lag issue is probably stemming from a bandwidth limitation on the server side. My guess is they didn't anticipate this many people logging in to play and went with a bare minimum (cheaper) hosting package for the server to start.

Oh boy, that was the mmo of my life! Every single modern game i play i compare to Fallen Earth. None of those fancy game managed to keep me play for so long like FA did back in the day. Thank you team for doing this for your fans. Bravo!

• Like 1

I never have played FE before and maybe I will someday, but now I just wanna leave my word of gratitude to LO here. Thanks. As an APB:R player, I hope it’s a good sign that company moves in the right direction, so it is good for all of us.

Edited by Nagletz
  • Thanks 1

I'm having the same issue and seems no one can help, someone said Steam but I don't have Fallen Earth on Steam and you can't get it from steam, I have an e-mail to gamer's first website but that's it. Need Help.

5 hours ago, Jayss1231214 said:

I'm having the same issue and seems no one can help, someone said Steam but I don't have Fallen Earth on Steam and you can't get it from steam, I have an e-mail to gamer's first website but that's it. Need Help.

You download the installer right from GamersFirst website. I did that myself.

https://www.gamersfirst.com/download

Edited by Jeronan

Great news and thank you, downloading the game now and looking forward to playing again.😀

Well here is the thing, I don't have a user name, when I download the game from gamer's first, I have a password I believe but no username how do I go about this ???

5 hours ago, Jayss1231214 said:

Well here is the thing, I don't have a user name, when I download the game from gamer's first, I have a password I believe but no username how do I go about this ???

Your gamersfirst account is based on email and password. So if you have your password, just use your registered email address as login name.

On 11/5/2021 at 9:23 AM, Jeronan said:

Your gamersfirst account is based on email and password. So if you have your password, just use your registered email address as login name.

use your email that you used for the account

Merged.

On 11/5/2021 at 4:08 AM, Jayss1231214 said:

opps messed up on the quote xD 

Steam still not working for FE?

Working!!

Nope still crashes when firing a gun

Edited by APB2012

On 11/5/2021 at 2:23 AM, Jeronan said:

EDIT:  I was able to log in / use the launcher.

Had to go look through my browser (Firefox) saved passwords.  Between the original FE, the various changes and buyouts, etc., I was using an older original login, instead of the more 'recent' one.

Edited by ArykGrev

2 hours ago, APB2012 said:

Steam still not working for FE?

Working!!

Nope still crashes when firing a gun

Must be something unique to your system not steam as they said some 60% of players going through Steam...  Does it work for you using the direct download method?