R3ACT3M

APB (2011) open beta

I love looking through rare footage of the game when it was in its infancy 

and I came across this: 

A 4 minute clip posted by:

SundaeOfDoom

on 2011

And I have to say I hope little orbit can bring back the mood that the game was portraying back in 2011

It looks very apocalyptic and reminds me a bit of GTA san andreas. The orange street lights and tracers are a very cool look to me

(yes i know tracers were removed due to performance worries and are going to be brought back in APB 2.1)

But what was the reason for changing the lighting and shaders from what looked moody and stylized to very bland?

Here's another one: 

Posted by: The Rogue Wolf

on: 

May 29, 2011

The game looks very cinematic back then like San Paro is actually going through gang wars.

Merged.

Posted by: 

Sarah Gaming

on: 

Nov 9, 2019

if you felt like doing a little comparison 

• Like 4

2014 was the peak of APB. Not 2011.

The blue colour grading we have now looks better. Change my mind.

Edited by NotZombieBiscuit
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

The blue colour grading we have now looks better. Change my mind.

was gonna say that the original orange got countered with blue. Still I like the original 2011 when it comes to looks, probably not so much when it comes to gameplay though

3 hours ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

2011 - we had 6 servers, two EU, two NA, one asian and one australian. Obeya alone had 10k players online on average. Change in threat system. G1 didn't insert their slick fingers in... yet.

2014 - population starts to dwindle, cheaters start to show up and it is harder to avoid them, G1 makes dumb decisions, low population problems starts to show up.

I think 2011-2012 was golden era of APB, then it just went downhill.

21 minutes ago, Mitne said:

2011 - we had 6 servers, two EU, two NA, one asian and one australian. Obeya alone had 10k players online on average. Change in threat system. G1 didn't insert their slick fingers in... yet.

2014 - population starts to dwindle, cheaters start to show up and it is harder to avoid them, G1 makes dumb decisions, low population problems starts to show up.

I think 2011-2012 was golden era of APB, then it just went downhill.

Gameplay peak.

Also we never had a separate Asia and Aus server. Han just did a little tour around including a stop over in Aus before going right back to asia.

The worst cheater years were 2012 and 2016.

Edited by NotZombieBiscuit
  • Like 1

the peak was on beta . apb was only part of the project .  we just didn't get what we were promised . 255 LVL . the players for several years .   https://gamersfirst.com/apb/news/2019/7/23/content-update   there is no promotion . maps don't change .  there are no updates to weapons and cars mods .  

Edited by yood
  • Thanks 1

One of the first Shini videos 10 years ago RTW

dat 0 recoil of oca..

Edited by TheMessiah

4 hours ago, yood said:

the peak was on beta . apb was only part of the project .  we just didn't get what we were promised . 255 LVL . the players for several years .   https://gamersfirst.com/apb/news/2019/7/23/content-update   there is no promotion . maps don't change .  there are no updates to weapons and cars mods .  

Can definitely see that after watching those videos, thx for sharing!

20 minutes ago, TheMessiah said:

One of the first Shini videos 10 years ago RTW

I remember watching this a while back XD 

I love the look of 2011 APB, the current blue color grading looks like shit.  Also really miss the light pollution at night.  G1 killed the light pollution when they turned the night time fog to black instead of orange and now the game just looks dead as hell.  Because you know, cities at night don't emit light, they absorb it.  The game used to have a mood, now it's just "blegh".  Luckily Matt said that when they redo the lighting in the engine upgrade they're going to be leaning more towards the old look of the game.

Edited by BrandonBranderson
  • Thanks 1

I just wanna point out that the spot in the first video is still unbalanced af and it's 2020 already 🙂

Nostalgia is good and all but I think it's better to take a look into what can be done in the future instead.

There is still A LOT to bring in the game's true potential 

The game literally looks the same.

6 hours ago, yood said:

https://www.facebook.com/doggparty/videos/420726774958877/?t=60

This makes me sad, seeing what APB could've been today. And're we're stuck with the same sh*t from 9 years ago.

1 hour ago, Ellix said:

There is still A LOT to bring in the game's true potential

Thats true.The incredible about APB is that 10 years ago the game became one of the biggest failures of all time with over 100m dollars budget and now a decade later - i feel like the game is in beta and everything is just about to start.Like this past years never happen..

p.s. Who would have thought 5 years ago that the most popular games in 2020 would be free to play low spec games like fortnite,vallorant etc So hold ur horses if u think apb have no future and is too late..u never know

Edited by TheMessiah
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheMessiah said:

Thats true.The incredible about APB is that 10 years ago the game became one of the biggest failures of all time with over 100m dollars budget and now a decade later - i feel like the game is in beta and everything is just about to start.Like this past years never happen..

let a new era begin

To bring back the mood they would need to bring back those 3k people/server at peak time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, ZoriaDunne said:

@MattScottWhy isn't this in APB yet? 😞

prob because $$$$ or poor use of $$$$$