Any and All PC Spec Advice is Appreciated!

Needin to know what I need to upgrade first for my PC; Ive done some testing on my PC and on RoE my CPU is only clockin 30% while my GPU is screaming at 100% the entire time, sometimes dropping to 90% but otherwise its just constantly at 100%.  Even on something as simple as Fortnite its the same story. ( APB never dips below 100 so its not a concern for this but yeah~ )

Im wanting to make sure the next 800 dollars Im going to be putting into my PC is somethign thats going to be beneficial and not just a 20fps boost on the next level of Textures etc.  Anywhoozle; my specs

MSI Z170 Krait Gaming Mobo;  i5 6.6k 3.5ghz, 16gb ddr4, GTX 980. 

Any and all advice is much appreciated! Thank yall for you time and have a blessed rest of your day~

This thread has been moved to the Off-Topic section of our forums.

There may be better forums to ask these questions on, but regardless, I wish you the best of luck in your pc building adventures.

~@mayii

gtx 980 is fine you need a better cpu.

you could go ryzen 5 3600x with good ram 16gb 3200mhz cl14 is nice.

or you could go i7 8700k also 3200mhz ram but latency is not that important.

i have a ryzen 7 3700x and cap at 135-145 fps all the time with good ram

Edited by HardStyler3

Upgrade to an rx 5700xt (normal 5700 can struggle with 1080p 144hz) (rtx is a good option too) and an i7 8700k because if you're upgrading to ryzen from that i5 6600k you're basically sidegrading and also spending money on a motherboard, I just think it's smarter this way (I also don't think you need workstation performance in your pc, but if you do go ahead and grab a ryzen)

Edited by _chain
grammar

6 hours ago, _chain said:

Upgrade to an rx 5700xt (normal 5700 can struggle with 1080p 144hz) (rtx is a good option too) and an i7 8700k because if you're upgrading to ryzen from that i5 6600k you're basically sidegrading and also spending money on a motherboard, I just think it's smarter this way (I also don't think you need workstation performance in your pc, but if you do go ahead and grab a ryzen)

his gpu is fine he will only get higher frames with a cpu upgrade

With a budget of $800, you might lose out. I recommend waiting for the next paycheck and upping your budget to $950. An additional $150 over something that will last for few years is not expensive at all.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XQFKP3

Your current power supply, hard drives, and hopefully case should complete the pc.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HardStyler3 said:

his gpu is fine he will only get higher frames with a cpu upgrade

In that case he should upgrade to a ryz7 instead.

And even that way he'll have money to upgrade from that 980, which he should definitely consider soon. 

Smh you'll have a better experience in every game overall following my suggestions. Also don't build a pc just for this crap, that's a waste of money, you're better off buying legos by the kilogram instead. 

Edited by _chain

i'd start up by getting rid of the intel cpu, considering the amount of security risks it presents today

currently there are first gen ryzen cpus which can even out perform your current cpu, so it is worth looking at.

3 hours ago, Bellenettiel said:

i'd start up by getting rid of the intel cpu, considering the amount of security risks it presents today

Keep in mind that it's not only intel ...

AMD has it's own issues similar to how intel had Metldown and Spectre, so maybe even more flaws will follow

https://mlq.me/download/takeaway.pdf

3 hours ago, Kevkof said:

Keep in mind that it's not only intel ...

AMD has it's own issues similar to how intel had Metldown and Spectre, so maybe even more flaws will follow

https://mlq.me/download/takeaway.pdf

true

but intel already has a head start lol

anyway good luck dudes 👍