foscor77

How does the current matchmaking and threat system actually works?

I dont think i quite understands how the current matchmaking and threat system actually works in apb so i would very glad if somebody preferably someone from the mod or staff team could shed some detailed info about it.

Thank you.

-TheCuriousCat.

Edited by foscor77

simplified version: threat system takes the average of all players’ scores for a mission - if you score higher than average you threat up, if you score lower than average you threat down 

complicated version: i’m sure @CookiePuss will post the actual math equation used 

how much you threat up or down is affected by a bunch of different variables afaik (you and your opp’s current threats, how well you did against the systems projections, etc) but that’s the basic function

matchmaking simply tries to find the most equal match possible, threat-wise - of course a truly equal match is basically impossible to find with only 40v40 people to choose from, so after a certain amount of time it will default to whoever is available (e.g. if the matchmaking is trying to find opp for 2 gold8s it will search for 10 minutes and then try to find 2 gold7s, or 1 gold3 and 1 gold10, all the way down until it has no choice but to put 2 gold8s against 3 silver9s and 1 bronze3)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Solamente said:

simplified version: threat system takes the average of all players’ scores for a mission - if you score higher than average you threat up, if you score lower than average you threat down

This is a fatal misconception.

If you score a little above average, but against players of significantly lower threat, the system might also lower your threat. That is if your confidence-value is low enough. Because if it is not, the system might instead lower your confidence-value first.

nobody fucking knows?

So people keep bashing the matchmaking and threat system without actually knowing how it even works?

15 hours ago, Revoluzzer said:

If you score a little above average, but against players of significantly lower threat, the system might also lower your threat. That is if your confidence-value is low enough. Because if it is not, the system might instead lower your confidence-value first.

19 hours ago, Solamente said:

It is not average. It just takes straight up 50% upper 50% lower.

TLDR: it is the same as every other game pretty much. You have a matchmaking rating number. The game tries to match combined team totals against each other as close as possible. If you are in the upper 50% score at the end of a match you gain rating based on a bunch of behind the scenes variables. 

Of course it is a bit more complicated than that but that is really the simple version of it.

Edited by NotZombieBiscuit

16 hours ago, Revoluzzer said:

i mentioned the threat system taking into account each person current threat and predictions

1 hour ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

It is not average. It just takes straight up 50% upper 50% lower.

wouldn’t that be the average then?

1 hour ago, Solamente said:

i mentioned the threat system taking into account each person current threat and predictions

No. That is not how maths works.

Nobody really knows but some people pass around some stupid equation they have found and claim it's how it works without ever been verified by G1. It makes no sense to have subthreat levels these days too(gold 1 - gold 10)

3 hours ago, Solamente said:

2 hours ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

No. That is not how maths works.

4 players, scores of 1550, 1500, 1400, 100. Player 1400 threats down because they are in the lower half, even though they are above the average of the 4 scores. Correct?

3 minutes ago, crusade said:

4 players, scores of 1550, 1500, 1400, 100. Player 1400 threats down because they are in the lower half, even though they are above the average of the 4 scores. Correct?

yeah thats what i thought, i guess my small brain figured average = middle

oops

8 hours ago, darok70 said:

nobody fucking knows?

So people keep bashing the matchmaking and threat system without actually knowing how it even works?

APB uses its own version of this formula for calculating threat:

FF4Xtw6.png

There... feel better now?

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, CookiePuss said:

FF4Xtw6.png

Cool!

Mind directing me to the source of this page?

Edited by foscor77

Should put a giant * on that formula though.

That is only the public facing formula and RTW already edited it forever ago. G1 upgraded to Glicko 2 rating system and did even further editing. So it is very likely a bit different than what is shown in actaul implementation. Though if I had to guess it is probably just graphical bracket splitting for front end and some changes to backend deviation with the 50/50 changes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

Should put a giant * on that formula though.

That is only the public facing formula and RTW already edited it forever ago. G1 upgraded to Glicko 2 rating system and did even further editing. So it is very likely a bit different than what is shown in actaul implementation. Though if I had to guess it is probably just graphical bracket splitting for front end and some changes to backend deviation with the 50/50 changes.

8oBlIvb.gif

On 9/22/2019 at 10:34 AM, CookiePuss said:

FF4Xtw6.png

giphy.gif

On 9/21/2019 at 6:25 AM, darok70 said:

I dont think i quite understands how the current matchmaking and threat system actually works in apb so i would very glad if somebody preferably someone from the mod or staff team could shed some detailed info about it.

Thank you.

-TheCuriousCat.

It dont work, thats the point.

12 hours ago, Darkzero3802 said:

The current matchmaking system that APB has is used by numerous games that you would consider successful. Even the most perfect system on the planet won't work with low pop that APB has. The system is fine.

16 hours ago, Darkzero3802 said:

Its not the algorithm that is faulty, its the sample size.

3 hours ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

The current matchmaking system that APB has is used by numerous games that you would consider successful. Even the most perfect system on the planet won't work with low pop that APB has. The system is fine.

^this^

11 hours ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

7 hours ago, CookiePuss said:

Its not the algorithm that is faulty, its the sample size.

^this^

So the fact that matchmaking didn't work right even when there was a decent pop means nothing to you 2?

35 minutes ago, Darkzero3802 said:

So the fact that matchmaking didn't work right even when there was a decent pop means nothing to you 2?

APB has never had decent pop for matchmaking. It does not matter how many people are online it has always been restricted to matching you against only 40-50 other people. And of those 40ish people most of them are likely in a mission already so the choice of op has always been close to nothing.

35 minutes ago, Darkzero3802 said:

As long as matchmaking is relegated to a single district it wouldn't matter if you had a million overall players, APB would still be trying to match you against only a pool of 40 (50 back in the day).

15 minutes ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

APB has never had decent pop for matchmaking. It does not matter how many people are online it has always been restricted to matching you against only 40-50 other people. And of those 40ish people most of them are likely in a mission already so the choice of op has always been close to nothing.

15 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:

As long as matchmaking is relegated to a single district it wouldn't matter if you had a million overall players, APB would still be trying to match you against only a pool of 40 (50 back in the day).

As far as APB goes your never going to see more then 50 so when a server is full matchmaking should work in the realm of APB, but it doesnt. This game will nevr have an open world like other games so comparing it to that is pointless.