Jump to content

Recommended Posts

When I engage people in CQC, more often than not I've noticed that the people I'm fighting seem to be able to move a lot more naturally than I can, and can jump back and forth in front of my crosshair and often my attempts to track them end up hitting mostly the scenery and making it so that just swinging my mouse around and shooting in every direction would be more profitable.

 

So, I have two questions:

 

1: How do I get a smoother strafe that covers more ground? Even with mobility sling I feel like I'm walking through knee deep syrup compared to them running around with jet powered ice skates.

 

2: How do I track strafing like this better so that I'm not looking like a kid playing with a garden hose when it comes to CQC fights?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The mention of mobility sling has me lead to believe you are using weapons that marksman rather than hipfire. What weapons are you using in CQC?

 

As for tracking it comes with practice and muscle memory. One thing that can help is playing from the elbow/shoulder rather than your wrist to get a higher degree of movement and precision.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kinda' along with Zombie's second point, if you feel like you're swinging your mouse around and shooting in every direction you probably need to lower your sensitivity. I personally suggest lowering you sensitivity to as low as you can while still feeling like you can turn as much as you probably need to (E.G. a lot of people don't feel like they need to do more than a 180 in either direction without resetting their mouse, or some people are fine with only being able to turn 90 degrees in either direction.)

 

I know it feels counter-intuitive, but lower sensitivity helps A LOT in close quarters. I have to admit this even as someone who plays with relatively high sensitivity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I second what Kewlin is saying. A lower sensitivity does help in CQC. If you can, try to get a gaming mouse that has a DPI Shift function or DPI profiles so that you can have the best of both worlds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the sensitivity of the mouse is strictly an individual thing, and you should play and change settings according to your comfort
if you find yourself being a bit too late with the crosshair on the moving enemy you increase it slightly, and if you find it too twitchy, you just do the opposite

personally i've set marksmanship mode and hip-fire on same levels of sensitivity and it helped to get used to only one speed which i benefited from at the end

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you literally can't cqc try grabbing a SMG or a JG and forcing yourself to use it. It will teach you two very important things that you probably won't learn otherwise: Tracking (as well as flicking) and positioning. 

 

Find a sensitivity that works for you. I play a variety of shooters and my sensitivity hovers around 2-3 with 800dpi.

To find the sensitivity that best suits you: Set your DPI to the lowest value (usually from 800 to 1200) and fiddle around with the sensitivity until you can track accurately but also flick with ample movements.

 

Also don't change your dpi in-game with the buttons if you have a gaming mouse. It's a waste of time, brain power and mouse buttons. So just stick to one sensitivity and dpi and git gud with that one. 

 

To aim better: Rely on forearm movements instead of wrist movements. When you play with wrist movements you don't have as much range of motion. It's also bad for your wrist.

At first you'll have to force yourself but it will become natural after a few games. 

 

About the strafing... Maybe they use Fragile? 

Edited by _chain
  • Dislike 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

The mention of mobility sling has me lead to believe you are using weapons that marksman rather than hipfire. What weapons are you using in CQC?

 

As for tracking it comes with practice and muscle memory. One thing that can help is playing from the elbow/shoulder rather than your wrist to get a higher degree of movement and precision.

 

The usual issue is assault rifles, which do usually mandate ADS, but other people seem to be able to CQC with them just fine, which is a little annoying.

 

7 hours ago, Kewlin said:

Kinda' along with Zombie's second point, if you feel like you're swinging your mouse around and shooting in every direction you probably need to lower your sensitivity. I personally suggest lowering you sensitivity to as low as you can while still feeling like you can turn as much as you probably need to (E.G. a lot of people don't feel like they need to do more than a 180 in either direction without resetting their mouse, or some people are fine with only being able to turn 90 degrees in either direction.)

 

I know it feels counter-intuitive, but lower sensitivity helps A LOT in close quarters. I have to admit this even as someone who plays with relatively high sensitivity.

 

I want to lower this but at the same time it's not currently that viable for me to do so. My mousepad isn't the biggest and I do genuinely have the issue of my mouse going onto my table if I push too far. My current mousepad is the Razer Destructor 2 and I plan on getting a Razer Manticor eventually. (D2: Width: 255 mm / 10.04" Length: 355 mm / 13.98" Height: 2.2 mm / 0.09")

 

Given the often touted effects of playing low-sensitivity I might invest in a Gigantus instead.

 

6 hours ago, thesamscout24 said:

I second what Kewlin is saying. A lower sensitivity does help in CQC. If you can, try to get a gaming mouse that has a DPI Shift function or DPI profiles so that you can have the best of both worlds.

 

57 minutes ago, Latsha said:

the sensitivity of the mouse is strictly an individual thing, and you should play and change settings according to your comfort
if you find yourself being a bit too late with the crosshair on the moving enemy you increase it slightly, and if you find it too twitchy, you just do the opposite

personally i've set marksmanship mode and hip-fire on same levels of sensitivity and it helped to get used to only one speed which i benefited from at the end

 

From what I've heard personally, the "meta" of mice is to use a high DPI mouse and then low ingame sensitivity. That way the high DPI mouse has a smooth sensor to it while still enabling smooth ingame movement like a low DPI setting would.

 

19 minutes ago, _chain said:

If you literally can't cqc try grabbing a SMG or a JG and forcing yourself to use it. It will teach you two very important things that you probably won't learn otherwise: Tracking (as well as flicking) and positioning. 

 

Find a sensitivity that works for you. I play a variety of shooters and my sensitivity hovers around 2-3 with 800dpi.

To find the sensitivity that best suits you: Set your DPI to the lowest value (usually from 800 to 1200) and fiddle around with the sensitivity until you can track accurately but also flick with ample movements.

 

Also don't change your dpi in-game with the buttons if you have a gaming mouse. It's a waste of time, brain power and mouse buttons. So just stick to one sensitivity and dpi and git gud with that one. 

 

To aim better: Rely on forearm movements instead of wrist movements. When you play with wrist movements you don't have as much range of motion. It's also bad for your wrist.

At first you'll have to force yourself but it will become natural after a few games. 

 

About the strafing... Maybe they use Fragile? 

 

I have plenty of SMG's and a few shotguns, main problem is actually getting to use them which is tricky at best due to the rapidly shifting scenarios in APB. Usually a more universal weapon is mandated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Freewind said:

I have plenty of SMG's and a few shotguns, main problem is actually getting to use them which is tricky at best due to the rapidly shifting scenarios in APB. Usually a more universal weapon is mandated.

Then use these close rangers, and pull out a long range secondary
Most people would go with RFP as it is really smooth and powerful
Additionally shift your tactics, never find yourself in the middle of the street vulnerable to the enemies longer (than your) range guns

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Freewind said:

I have plenty of SMG's and a few shotguns, main problem is actually getting to use them which is tricky at best due to the rapidly shifting scenarios in APB. Usually a more universal weapon is mandated.

Then always carry a JG and a useful long range secondary. The joker 3-shot burst pistol (which i can't remember the name of) and the colby revolver are your best options, in my opinion. 

 

If you really need to switch your primary to something else, do it. But playing this way will force you to adapt your style. 

 

also, sensitivity. dpi. blah blah. I've never heard that "high dpi, low sens" thing IIRC. Plus it's way more uncomfortable to use in your OS since it just starts to go Sonic the Hedgehog all over the place. 

 

About your gaming mousepad... I don't use one. They're a waste of money for the surface (20 euro for 30cm wide? Is it made by the finest thailandese child workers?). There's an art shop in my town and for about 20 euro I found a really big drawing mat that works perfectly. 

It's 600mm wide and 400mm tall, made of sticky rubber on the bottom and a more glossy rubber on the top, which offers way less friction and doesn't cause any problems with the sensor. 

Go look for one, you'll probably find something. 

  • Dislike 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Freewind said:

The usual issue is assault rifles, which do usually mandate ADS, but other people seem to be able to CQC with them just fine, which is a little annoying.

 

This totally depends on the range your enemy is at and what assault rifle you're using. Here's a rough estimated list of all of the assault rifles in order of how far away I'd start hip-firing from longest to shortest:

COBR-A > ACES Rifle > Raptor > STAR > FAR > AR-97 > S1-NA > ISSR-A > ATAC > N-TEC 5 > N-TEC 7

 

Of course, this also depends on factors like if you're standing still, or are using the walk function, or maybe even crouching, and potentially if you're shooting full-auto or burst. Ultimately though, if you're almost touching someone you virtually always want to hip-fire, even with the N-TEC 7.

 

6 hours ago, Freewind said:

I want to lower this but at the same time it's not currently that viable for me to do so. My mousepad isn't the biggest and I do genuinely have the issue of my mouse going onto my table if I push too far. My current mousepad is the Razer Destructor 2 and I plan on getting a Razer Manticor eventually. (D2: Width: 255 mm / 10.04" Length: 355 mm / 13.98" Height: 2.2 mm / 0.09")

 

Given the often touted effects of playing low-sensitivity I might invest in a Gigantus instead.

 

How many degrees can you rotate if you move your mouse from one end to the other? You probably only want to rotate like 360 or so degrees max. After that, depending on your preferences, you might either want to match up your ADS sens to be the same, or you might want to match it with another number of degrees such as 180 or 90, or maybe you just want to find what's comfortable for you.

 

6 hours ago, Freewind said:

From what I've heard personally, the "meta" of mice is to use a high DPI mouse and then low ingame sensitivity. That way the high DPI mouse has a smooth sensor to it while still enabling smooth ingame movement like a low DPI setting would.

 

Even as someone who almost always has his mouse set to 10,000 DPI, I'm going to say that it doesn't really matter either way. You really should just set your DPI to whatever is comfortable to you for normal computer use, and go from there with your sensitivity. I'd imagine this would only be an issue if you liked your mouse really slow in your OS and wanted to play games with a really twitchy setup, but I don't think anyone would really do that anyways.

 

6 hours ago, Freewind said:

I have plenty of SMG's and a few shotguns, main problem is actually getting to use them which is tricky at best due to the rapidly shifting scenarios in APB. Usually a more universal weapon is mandated.

 

So what do you think people who main SMGs and shotguns do? You don't need a weapon that can do everything, lol.

 

Learning to control your ranges and manipulate your enemy's position is one of the most important skills in APB, and for this reason I highly suggest just forcing yourself to use an SMG for a while to get a little better at this. After you play SMG for a while, maybe go back to AR and see if you can do better at avoiding close quarters encounters you don't want, and then maybe even swap to a sniper rifle to learn how to stay at long ranges.

 

Also, as other people said, I generally suggest using your secondary slot to fill the range your primary is least comfortable in.

 

 

1 hour ago, _chain said:

About your gaming mousepad... I don't use one. They're a waste of money for the surface (20 euro for 30cm wide? Is it made by the finest thailandese child workers?). There's an art shop in my town and for about 20 euro I found a really big drawing mat that works perfectly. 

It's 600mm wide and 400mm tall, made of sticky rubber on the bottom and a more glossy rubber on the top, which offers way less friction and doesn't cause any problems with the sensor. 

Go look for one, you'll probably find something. 

 

I could go either way on this. Sure, you don't *need* a real mousepad, but there are lots of different types and sizes of pads to fit different people's preferences. To me the smooth fabric surface I have is great, my mouse doesn't get caught on it and it has enough resistance for my normal sens setups, and I highly doubt I could game on something gloss with less friction like you're suggesting. On top of that, it covers my entire desk and only cost 20 USD, which is less than you'd blow on a single gun in APB and well within most people's budgets.

 

Personally though, if someone has a decent PC, a gaming mouse, and a good keyboard, it would seem dumb to me not to not invest $20 to make sure you have the best gaming surface you could have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just noticed a lot of what has been posted here are half truths or outright incorrect, so instead of just quoting all of them in particular ill write my own thing (especially using fragile, that mod should be deleted the second you get it in the mail.)

 

 

non-ADS weapons have the advantage in CQC. (Carbine, OCA, PMG, Shotguns, that sortve thing.) They have the advantage because your increased FOV helps with tracking "faster" moving targets. By faster, your opponent looks quicker because of their distance from the camera, theyre much closer when you are in ADS mode.

 

If it is your aim that is an issue, ignore all the things about sensitivity. It is literally personal preference all the way down to the core. (I use 8.87 with Povohats Mouse Accel drivers which basically recreates the only good mouse accel ever made, the one from Quake Live as an example.) Find a "true sensitivity" you like and stick to it, and that true sensitivity is how many inches it takes to do a 360. Use a resource like https://www.mouse-sensitivity.com/  or KovaaK's sensitivity calculator and ensure you use the same inches/360 always. The proper DPI is sensor related and here is a helpful spreadsheet which will show a lot of the mice that have problems with their polling rate, and things like jitters above/below certain DPI levels. It's still important you find a true sensitivity you feel comfortable with and keep that consistent, regardless of your DPI. It is however of UTMOST importance from here on out you use that same sensitivity in EVERY GAME. Use the calculators i provided to convert it. This will help you build muscle memory, which is all aim is. Daily regimen of stuff like KovaaK's Aim Trainer literally builds nothing but muscle memory which is a consistent improvement of your baseline when you are using it correctly. (Think of a line graph that has minimum and maximum points. Your maximums are you days where you perform, your minimums are your days that you aim like shit, but, the more muscle memory you build, the higher on the graph your minimum will be.)

 

It's important to note if you do start trying to develop your aim, keep in mind there are two sets of issues. A problem with execution, which is where you get your crosshair to the target frequently but you fire too soon. (This would be an issue with a lot of Marksman weapon users, like the carbine, the obeya, the FBW.) Or a problem with performance where you cannot properly get your crosshair to the target frequently. Both of these issues are very different, and both can be trained with proper practice. It's also important to keep mouse interactions to a minimum. Like, don't use a scroll wheel to fire a carbine for instance. Ignoring all the other reasons why it's bad, a big one is youre constantly fidgeting with something and it throws off your ability to properly track when you need it most.

 

tl;dr - use the same sens (inches/360) whenever possible, ensure its comfortable, don't use a DPI so high or so low on a sensor where it causes smoothing or jitters, practice practice practice to build muscle memory and your aim will translate to every shooter you ever play.

 

Movement is something that only comes with experience in every game. You just need to attempt to be aware of when you start moving in a pattern and correct it. There is no other way, and it's different in every game for an added bonus, but the experience you develop from actively correcting patterns as they occur remain.

 

Oh, and experience in game is helpful. The longer you play, the more you will be able to seek out engagements that are beneficial to your style of play because they will be more obvious to you. It is however important to maximize those situations, which is why it is important to do things like carry an RFP if your main weapon is an OCA, or carry an FBW if your main weapon is an Obeya, that way you can perform at more than a singular range.

 

I hope this helped! Feel free to ask me anything if you have any questions @Freewind. Oh, and a personal recommendation on inches/360 would be to simply use one of those tools to properly tweak it so that one swipe across your mousepad from end to end is a perfect or close to it 360.


I even uploaded some Kovaak for you if you want to see a portion of my daily warmup and maybe see if its a good choice for you.

Edited by Thaumaturge
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Dislike 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...