Sign in to follow this  
VanilleKeks

Significant performance boost through upscaling

Just wanted to share a little thing.

I play on 21:9 3440x1440p ultra-wide and the game was struggling to even hit 100fps with my PC. This is due to:

1. Having an older Ryzen that has many cores but not very great single core performance (compared to new CPUs)

2. My 4070 being virtually unused by APBs wacko engine.

I recently tried up-scaling through NVIDIA control-panel to record some footage for some other projects. Trying this in APB without expectations, I was surprised to find that I almost doubled my performance.

My best guess being that it somehow forces the game to offload more work on the GPU. Not sure.

Ended up playing smoothly for over 4 hours with an average of 160fps+ in either full Asylum or mission districts, which is pretty impressive considering the final simulated resolution of 5760x3240.

Qualifying GPUs have the DSR- Factors setting below in the 3D settings tab of the control-panel. You will need to put your monitor res at the up-scaled resolution and play APB in borderless.

--

Putting this out there to try for anyone who isn't a 4:3 glue-sniffer

Edited by VanilleKeks
  • Like 1

A small step by step tutorial with images to set this up for the people that want to try it would be appreciated as most people won't know their way around the Nvidia control panel

Edited by Frosi

Have you monitored your GPU core and memory clocks with and without upscaling using a tool like RTSS? I would blame some power saving feature rather than the GPU utilization in itself, because it is indeed paradoxical that using a higher resolution would improve performance. 

I've had my GTX 1080 get stuck at minimum clockspeeds since APB doesn't have a lot of graphics load. At 3440x1440p this shouldn't a problem, but check your GPU clock speed while in game. GPU boost is the problem. You can try locking the GPU to max clocks, but this can cause instability with some factory overclocked GPUs.

In Asylum, turning off dynamic shadows doubles my fps in some areas. Same with central park in Financial. I think it's due to the transparent textures on the fencing and trees.

On 11/28/2023 at 7:49 AM, VanilleKeks said:

4:3 glue-sniffer

dont you speak ill about my elmers glue

it tastes good too

Edited by iRawwwN

On 11/28/2023 at 3:58 PM, mojical said:

Have you monitored your GPU core and memory clocks with and without upscaling using a tool like RTSS? I would blame some power saving feature rather than the GPU utilization in itself, because it is indeed paradoxical that using a higher resolution would improve performance. 

It's only APB that works this way. I haven't checked the exact speeds but in every other game I use upscaling the performance stays about the same. I have checked every power saving related setting that I could find to no avail.

Merged.

On 11/28/2023 at 3:08 PM, Frosi said:

A small step by step tutorial with images to set this up for the people that want to try it would be appreciated as most people won't know their way around the Nvidia control panel

Fc0GHrv.png

Simply enable this setting. Then change your windows display resolution to the new available one if you play borderless window or directly select the resolution in APB if you play fullscreen.

Edited by VanilleKeks

On 11/28/2023 at 7:39 PM, Deadliest said:

Turning my hud off doubles my fps 

I hope they work on that next. It's ridiculous how broken the hud is

guys just ignore OP, this post makes literally no sense. putting your resolution to 4k or higher is the worst idea ever and should only be done for screenshots.