Spudinskes

Drop Primary Weapon On Death

I'm pretty sure you've run into this scenario before. The opposing team has a long range gunner in an advantageous position that is hard to dislodge with your own long range guns because he is able to break line of sight. The smart thing to do would be to go up there, with probably a CQC weapon, and kill. Mean while the rest of your team is fighting the rest of the enemy team, but unfortunately your CQC gun can't do anything from where you are. You have two choices: run back to the objective to utilize your CQC gun, or take 15 seconds to lay down your resupply to switch out to a long range gun. In both scenarios the battle could already be lost by the time you are able to do anything.

Now imagine if the long range gunner dropped his gun when he died. You could pick it up and immediately support your team without moving. This adds a great dynamic to the game that will also improve the balance of hard to assault locations.

If you pick up a dropped gun, the gun you traded will disappear. This ensures you can't lay down an arsenal on the ground and switch willy nilly. Also once the mission ends and you're holding a dropped gun the gun will be removed from your hands, similar to how trial weapons disappear once time is up.

This feature is, for the most part, already implemented in the game for the Valentine guns. A few performance and ui fixes and the feature would be ready in no time. Maybe this could be implemented in special district mode and if the feedback is well received it could be implemented into the main game.

Feedback and concerns?

Edited by Spudinskes
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Spudinskes said:

I'm pretty sure you've run into this scenario before. The opposing team has a long range gunner in an advantageous position that is hard to dislodge with your own long range guns because he is able to break line of sight. The smart thing to do would be to go up there, with probably a CQC weapon, and kill. Mean while the rest of your team is fighting the rest of the enemy team, but unfortunately your CQC gun can't do anything from where you are. You have two choices: run back to the objective to utilize your CQC gun, or take 15 seconds to lay down your resupply to switch out to a long range gun. In both scenarios the battle could already be lost by the time you are able to do anything.

Now imagine if the long range gunner dropped his gun when he died. You could pick it up and immediately support your team without moving. This adds a great dynamic to the game that will also improve the balance of hard to assault locations.

If you pick up a dropped gun, the gun you traded will disappear. This ensures you can't lay down an arsenal on the ground and switch willy nilly. Also once the mission ends and you're holding a dropped gun the gun will be removed from your hands, similar to how trial weapons disappear once time is up.

Feedback and concerns?

I would rather add loadout where you can set different setups, for sniper, close combat, etc, and only need an ammo box to change them. Without having to switch everything manually, wich takes a lot of time and your sigh view.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, AllFenom said:

I would rather add loadout where you can set different setups, for sniper, close combat, etc, and only need an ammo box to change them. Without having to switch everything manually, wich takes a lot of time and your sigh view.

That should also be implemented into the game. But I believe my idea should be as well. It takes a non-trivial amount of time for the supply box animations, as well as getting a workable amount of ammo. Like I said this is about adding dynamic-ness to the stale gunplay

Edited by Spudinskes

17 minutes ago, Spudinskes said:

That should also be implemented into the game. But I believe my idea should be as well. It takes a non-trivial amount of time for the supply box animations, as well as getting a workable amount of ammo.

Well, we had that mechanic long time ago, I think it was on a event, and don't think it was very popular.

4 minutes ago, AllFenom said:

Well, we had that mechanic long time ago, I think it was on a event, and don't think it was very popular.

I didn't experience it myself but I have been reading conflicting stories. Some say it was horrible without much explanation, while others are saying people disliked it because it introduced performance issues.

1 hour ago, AllFenom said:

I believe this was the case due to people quick switching by picking up a gun. E.g. a person is holding a Carbine by themselves, picks up another carbine from a corpse. Shoots the pick-up carbine mag dry, drops it by scrolling, shoots his own carbine mag dry. (So basicly you could have non-stop carbine fire for 40 bullets).

1 hour ago, Excalibur! said:

Oh this again...

Lol just downvote the post, no need to respond with a useless post.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Excalibur! said:

You dont need to make useless threads... but here we are. And you are also quoting me, even more useless posts.

You dont think at all, right?

How is this a useless thread? This is the suggestions subform.

When you're at a movie theater you have to tell people to be quiet or else they won't stop.

3 minutes ago, Spudinskes said:

How is this a useless thread? This is the suggestions subform.

When you're at a movie theater you have to tell people to be quiet or else they won't stop.

This been discussed in the past and ended with it being removed for a reason.

For example: i do not want that someone who killed me to take my legendary i spent so much time farming and enjoy it for free.

Edited by Excalibur!

9 minutes ago, Excalibur! said:

This been discussed in the past and ended with it being removed for a reason.

For example: i do not want that someone who killed me to take my legendary i spent so much time farming and enjoy it for free.

Responding with some information like this to your initial post could have avoided the posts above. I wasn't here during those times and I don't think they're searchable any more.

There's a couple ways of making sure your opponent doesn't use your beloved legendary. One way is to not die to your enemy, another is to switch before you die if you know they're going to kill you, or don't equip it because you don't want your enemy to rub their tainted pleb fingers all over your precious legendary.

Edited by Spudinskes

28 minutes ago, Spudinskes said:

Responding with some information like this to your initial post could have avoided the posts above. I wasn't here during those times and I don't think they're searchable any more.

There's a couple ways of making sure your opponent doesn't use your beloved legendary. One way is to not die to your enemy, another is to switch before you die if you know they're going to kill you, or don't equip it because you don't want your enemy to rub their tainted pleb fingers all over your precious legendary.

OdS5MCD.jpg

???

Primary... primary, what would it do to switch? What if you have secondary and primary legendarys?

Its impossible not die, at some point you will allways die. What kind of logic is that?

That you didnt been here for when it happened? You are registered in 2011, you cant fool no one. Meh i dont bother anymore you are obviously trolling at this point.

Edited by Excalibur!

Just now, Excalibur! said:

OdS5MCD.jpg

???

Its impossible not die, at some point you will allways die. What kind of logic is that?

That you didnt been here for when it happened? You are registered in 2011, you cant fool no one. Meh i dont bother anymore you are obviously trolling at this point.

The vast majority of players don't mind that one person's legendary weapon might get used by another person after they die. The number that hate the thought of their legendary weapons falling into the wrong hands is incredibly incredibly small.

You think I've been following this game's forum discussions every year since 2011? You think I get a summary of threads in my email?

2 minutes ago, Spudinskes said:

The vast majority of players don't mind that one person's legendary weapon might get used by another person after they die. The number that hate the thought of their legendary weapons falling into the wrong hands is incredibly incredibly small.

You think I've been following this game's forum discussions every year since 2011? You think I get a summary of threads in my email?

So you are assuming everyone wants this added and legendary users want their effort spent in hands of everyone... yeah sounds about correct.

You die 20 times, and full asylum will be using your weapon. Do you even aknowledge how stupid this sound?

Edited by Excalibur!

3 minutes ago, Excalibur! said:

So you are assuming everyone wants this added and legendary users want their effort spent in hands of everyone... yeah sounds about correct.

I didn't assume that, you're putting words in my mouth. I clearly said there are people out there that don't want the fruits of their efforts in the hands of others, which is absolutely understandable.

"The number that hate the thought of their legendary weapons falling into the wrong hands is incredibly incredibly small."

Edited by Spudinskes

2 minutes ago, Spudinskes said:

I didn't assume that, you're putting words in my mouth. I clearly said there are people out there that don't want the fruits of their efforts in the hands of others, which is absolutely understandable.

"The number that hate the thought of their legendary weapons falling into the wrong hands is incredibly incredibly small."

Can you share with me your source of information?

12 hours ago, Excalibur! said:

Can you share with me your source of information?

In response to your edited asylum comment, it's highly unlikely that you get destroyed to the point where the 20 enemy members manage to all have it at the same time. Players lose the weapon after death, and the weapon pickup will only provide a few extra mags, like 2. However, if you play long enough then the chances that at least each enemy has held your gun at some point, increases. 

You're living proof that there are people out there that dislike it.

"i do not want that someone who killed me to take my legendary i spent so much time farming and enjoy it for free."

As for proof that the number of people that currently hate sharing their legendaries is incredibly small, you got me there. I can't provide actual statistical evidence. But out of curiousity do you have a source of the counter-claim? Is the number of people with legendaries that dislike plebs rubbing their grubby hands on their virtually cloned weapons significant?

I will say this though, we shouldn't allow legendary weapons affect the balancing of a game. That's a slippery slope imo.

Edited by Spudinskes

To be honest, I think it is a great idea. Not only makes things more comfortable, but also more realistic. If someone is so obsessed with their legendary, it is their problem. But of course this system should not remove their weapon from them and should not lock it while someone is picking it, only drop a copy. So their precious legendary still will be only their very own, while those who would manage to kill them will have only a trial (no skins, no possibility to resupply, nothing that would remind of weapon's owner). Right now almost all successful games are doing their best to make gameplay more colorful, so why not to include the most obvious way of actions if we are killing someone? Right now it is quite a strange behavior that we should leave their weapons and to run with our own even if here it is - most logical weapon for this place/stage.

Also it could motivate more people to play and to work on better arsenal. If someone will pick legendary (or just better) weapon, will use it, will like it.. Most likely they will be interested in getting this weapon as a permanent addition to their collection (sorry for quotes..). Should keep people occupied with playing, trading, exploring Armas and so on.

Edited by Darth_Whatever

I think it's important to keep in mind how the old system worked. When someone died, they'd drop their primary weapon, which would have their current mag and spare ammo in it. You could then walk up and press use on it, to pick it up as an item you held over your normal primary, so you'd literally be carrying two primary weapons. It would be automatically dropped if you switched to a secondary or interacted with other items or objectives.

I've been going through this topic here, to figure out what most of the feedback was about:

Why people dislike the weapon drop system so much?

Reasons for disliking it:

- It doesn't feel like APB (similar to CoD, was released around the same time as Gun Mettle update for TF2, implementation felt like a gimmick)

- The implementation was very buggy (several bugs, weapon pickup priority issues, accidentally dropping weapons when doing other interactions)

- Lack of development focus (was added around the time with other badly implemented features such as the Butcher event, car spawner, consumables and such)

- Other people using your weapon (my legendary shouldn't be touched by anyone else, it's embarrassing to get killed with your own gun)

- Harder to be aware of your enemies loadouts (constantly changing, and wasn't being shown on the scoreboard)

- No reason to buy weapons anymore (you could just be a new player with a STAR and keep picking up weapons from others)

- Balancing issues with two primaries (NTEC + HVR quickswitch, CQC & long range at the same time, being able to empty a mag and just continue shooting with your second primary)

Reasons for liking it:

- It was fun (killing others with their own weapon, more weapon variety, made the game feel fresh)

- Allow other players to try out different weapons (F2P-players testing premium weapons, new players getting more variety, veterans testing less common setups)

- Added more depth to the game (decision making of picking up others weapons, switching between long range / short range, reacting to more varied loadouts, team communication becoming more important in regards of enemies weapons)

Suggested improvements:

- Picking up a weapon would instead switch it, so you would drop your normal primary while picking it up.

- Display the currently held weapon on the scoreboard.

- Limit the amount of ammo weapons carried. (Would matter less if you dropped your normal primary, but might still need balancing if you don't need to resupply)

Don't misread this as more people were against it than it was people for it, since it seemed to be pretty even for both sides, while those who liked it agreed more about the things they enjoyed with it.

People who said it didn't feel like APB were very vague about it, and seemed to be mostly about how badly implemented the system was. People who didn't like the idea of others using their weapons, didn't consider it from the opposite perspective. It would make it harder to know what weapon the enemy would currently be holding, but that would go for both sides, and be slightly alleviated by the scoreboard being updated. Instead of this giving people less reason to buy weapons, I think it would instead help people to try out more weapons and give them more incentive to purchase what they want (or how often would the enemies constantly be holding their preferred weapon, aswell as being forced to kill them each time before picking it up?).

Alot of the negative feedback would go away simply by changing the system so that you switched your primary instead of simply picking up an additional one. Another suggestion would be to be able to bind a button to drop your currently held primary, so you could drop it for your teammates. Being the good guy who let's others try out his legendary would give it an additional status boost. The other thing would be that the weapons would despawn much faster, so you can't just stand around two weapons and keep switching between them.

On 6/15/2018 at 6:15 PM, Spudinskes said:

Some say it was horrible without much explanation, while others are saying people disliked it because it introduced performance issues.

I didn't see much mentioning of any performance impacts.

On 6/15/2018 at 5:48 PM, AllFenom said:

I really think that should be added aswell.

EDIT:

There might need to be a restriction for how quickly you can equip a new weapon from a resupply source after dropping or picking up a weapon, to prevent players from spamming weapon drops. So if you picked up or dropped a weapon, there would be a 5-10 seconds delay before being able to equip a new one from you loadout, with an easily visible countdown on that screen to let you know why you can't switch.

Edited by Dopefish
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Spudinskes said:

In response to your edited asylum comment, it's highly unlikely that you get destroyed to the point where the 20 enemy members manage to all have it at the same time. Players lose the weapon after death, and the weapon pickup will only provide a few extra mags, like 2. However, if you play long enough then the chances that at least each enemy has held your gun at some point, increases. 

You're living proof that there are people out there that dislike it.

"i do not want that someone who killed me to take my legendary i spent so much time farming and enjoy it for free."

As for proof that the number of people that currently hate sharing their legendaries is incredibly small, you got me there. I can't provide actual statistical evidence. But out of curiousity do you have a source of the counter-claim? Is the number of people with legendaries that dislike plebs rubbing their grubby hands on their virtually cloned weapons significant?

I will say this though, we shouldn't allow legendary weapons affect the balancing of a game. That's a slippery slope imo.

You are here claiming things and wanting broken mechanics, you are the one who needs to give pros and cons about it and find the statistics of your own claims?

What are you talking about legendarys??? I dont get it.

If you want some kind of statistic here it is (inb4 using the same excuse "ppl voted no for a broken mechanic, the whole idea is broken".

Another reason this mechanic is not worth is because you can switch your own weapons and not leech from others effort, spent time or money spent. You got ammo cars, joker machines, mail box, yellow ammo box, supply box etc. to switch your own weapon and play like you want.

Another reason: more laziness to unlock your own weapons. If everyone keeps taking other weapons, they will have less reasons to lvl up rolls to maximum 15 (which takes how many kills? 15000?).

More reasons: criminals could take ltl. For what? I dont know but thats enforcer exclusive.

More: you could pick one, kill pick another, kill etc. The broken mechanic still there even if you die. Imagine a dethreater in bronze district going rambo thanks to this...

Honestly, this is fun only in words... here i am to spit reality into your face.

Edited by Excalibur!

More: picking up powerful weapons like explsives. You need pretty much rank a lot to get them or do the joker store exploit... Imagine a guy dying with opgl and suddenly everyone is using opgl because he would die a lot. RIP fps.

If this stupid mechanic gets added, i will keep buying opgl 3 slots and die a lot so everyone uses opgl lol. FC will be hell i promise.

Edited by Excalibur!

I am not sure about this... but server fps drops? They would need more powerful machines to render the amount of weapons droped, specially fc.

Edited by Excalibur!