Westford

Huge Silver misconception ... Let's set the record straight..

17 minutes ago, Zascha said:

Because it doesn't matter what it is. All that shit you're talking about--you're either doing it or you aren't doing it.

but if you know it then why not do it? a majority of the minutia is “unconscious” tactics imo, so at that point your consciously choosing to do the “wrong” thing

4 hours ago, Revised said:

Lolololololol. West, westy, buddy. Im sorry I really am, some people are mean about it sure but it doesn't really change anything. There are reasons players are silver and saying a career silver is even as good as midrange golds is a stretch. If you remain silver after a few hundered hours of gameplay something has gone horribly wrong or you just aren't a siq gaymer and you are in the bracket you belong in my guy. Whatever way you look at it this thread is mildy pointless and you're lucky the new mods are more chill because this dumpster fire of a post would have been locked by now. 

Haha..hey @Revised.

My color threat is exactly where it should be.

I would say I am an average player at best.

Which would be expected considering the limited amount of weekly playtime in game.

I thought it was obvious from my "outrageous" comments that started this thread, that I was "puffing" the proverbial chest,

but apparently I had touched upon the sensibilities of some.

I'm guessing it was the "true Golds (™)" to be exact that failed to see the ridiculousness in my post.

A hard lesson for me to be sure.

I will practice a bit more civility in any future posts, and not purposely attempt at eliciting negative emotions.

Again, I was puffing.

Some people do take this game very seriously, more seriously than myself to be sure,  so my apologies to anyone that I offended.

Myself, I do enjoy the game, but admit I don't take it too seriously.

I have already sent a message yesterday to go ahead and lock the thread, I'm sure they will get to it at some point.

I will say that there has been some decent perspectives articulated on different play styles... Thank you @Zascha,

and yes, the current threat system and matchmaking definitely needs some work.

But this thread is really done.

EDIT:

I am seriously considering changing my avatar.

Perhaps something like this.

Angel_Halo_Emoji_Icon_0ff75c27-5416-4ac6

Edited by Westford
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Westford said:

I am seriously considering changing my avatar.

Perhaps something like this.

Angel_Halo_Emoji_Icon_0ff75c27-5416-4ac6

why not this

cca.png

3 hours ago, :^) said:

This guy managed to stay Gold

really no excuse to be Silver unless you just don't care about improving whatsoever

Now you understand there are* not many excuses...

Edited by LuzExtinguido

21 minutes ago, NopeTooFast said:

why not this

cca.png

EDIT:

Ok , I give up.

What is that a symbol of ?

Edited by Westford

1 hour ago, BXNNXD said:

but if you know it then why not do it? a majority of the minutia is “unconscious” tactics imo, so at that point your consciously choosing to do the “wrong” thing

Because I didn't want to spent 10 hours writing it. That's why not do it. It's not "consciously choosing to do the wrong thing." It's "Consciously choosing not to waste too much of my time writing this crap when I already know before hand, arm-chair lawyers and trolls are going to pick it apart over superfluous non-issues like their one little hang-up somehow invalidates the entire thing."

Lo and behold...

Someone get me a robe and some sandals. I'm a prophet.

But I have a better idea. It's going to clear this whole mess up. Why don't YOU do it? You write your own list. Stop asking me to do your homework. You do your own. You seem to have a list of all this stuff that makes the difference:

You write it.

Stop throwing your responsibility in this onto me. I've already taken this as far as I'm willing to take it. It's up to you to take it further.

If you have some kind of counterpoint to what I wrote, then we need to know exactly what it is you're talking about. I've already written what I spoke about. I put in the work. It's time for you to stop leeching off my work, and do your own. So, let's have your list of all the stuff I missed, and we can go over it one at a time to find out if there really is this gray area spectrum you asserted and if it is indeed something that you simply either do or don't do. Until then, you need to stop holding me to some higher standard that you yourself won't even attempt to entertain. I'm the only person in this conversation who has actually stated what he's talking about in some semblance of specific detail. You need to get on my level if you want to have an actual conversation with me.

If you don't want to do that, then my final option for you would be to just leave it alone. You have your opinion. And I have my opinion. You don't agree with my opinion, because my expression did not fully exhaust what you feel should be more comprehensive. And I don't agree with your opinion, because you haven't provided me with an actual opinion.

Also, one last note:

You don't do it, because you don't want to Tryhard. That's playing Casual. You're not playing to be hyper competitive. The people who are playing to be hyper competitive ARE doing it. All the time, they're doing it. But they aren't all who exist. There's a WHOLE slew of people who play this game simply to unwind and do things mindlessly without much concentration. These folks actually exist. The problem with this game is these people and the tryhards are constantly forced to play one another. This is due to the Threat System. Did you even read my post?

You're not getting this. It's not that these folks don't know how to do it. It's that they don't want to put themselves under that kind of constant stress. You're seriously talking to me like you don't even understand the concept of "relaxing."

There's nothing wrong with playing Casual.

Edited by Zascha

1 minute ago, LuzExtinguido said:

I think this guy lives in an ethernal catharsis.

That's about enough out of you.

18 minutes ago, Zascha said:

You're not getting this. It's not that these folks don't know how to do it. It's that they don't want to put themselves under that kind of constant stress. You're seriously talking to me like you don't even understand the concept of "relaxing."

+1

And this person get's it.

I personally can't be bothered with all of the meta intricacies.

I just want to enjoy the few hours a week to "shoot mu gun" and "drive mu car"

Have no interest in "gitting gud"

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Zascha said:

Because I didn't want to spent 10 hours writing it. That's why not do it. It's not "consciously choosing to do the wrong thing." It's "Consciously choosing not to waste too much of my time writing this crap when I already know before hand, arm-chair lawyers and trolls are going to pick it apart over superfluous non-issues like their one little hang-up somehow invalidates the entire thing."

Lo and behold...

Someone get me a robe and some sandals. I'm a prophet.

But I have a better idea. It's going to clear this whole mess up. Why don't YOU do it? You write your own list. Stop asking me to do your homework. You do your own. You seem to have a list of all this stuff that makes the difference:

You write it.

Stop throwing your responsibility in this onto me. I've already taken this as far as I'm willing to take it. It's up to you to take it further.

If you have some kind of counterpoint to what I wrote, then we need to know exactly what it is you're talking about. I've already written what I spoke about. I put in the work. It's time for you to stop leeching off my work, and do your own. So, let's have your list of all the stuff I missed, and we can go over it one at a time to find out if there really is this gray area spectrum you asserted and if it is indeed something that you simply either do or don't do. Until then, you need to stop holding me to some higher standard that you yourself won't even attempt to entertain. I'm the only person in this conversation who has actually stated what he's talking about in some semblance of specific detail. You need to get on my level if you want to have an actual conversation with me.

If you don't want to do that, then my final option for you would be to just leave it alone. You have your opinion. And I have my opinion. You don't agree with my opinion, because my expression did not fully exhaust what you feel should be more comprehensive. And I don't agree with your opinion, because you haven't provided me with an actual opinion.

Also, one last note:

You don't do it, because you don't want to Tryhard. That's playing Casual. You're not playing to be hyper competitive. The people who are playing to be hyper competitive ARE doing it. All the time, they're doing it. But they aren't all who exist. There's a WHOLE slew of people who play this game simply to unwind and do things mindlessly without much concentration. These folks actually exist. The problem with this game is these people and the tryhards are constantly forced to play one another. This is due to the Threat System. Did you even read my post?

Would definitely say theres more of a spectrum than strictly tryhard and experienced casual. Sometimes I want to play competitively, and sometimes I want to experiment with non-meta weapons and tactics 😋

Just now, Nevv said:

Would definitely say theres more of a spectrum than strictly tryhard and experienced casual. Sometimes I want to play competitively, and sometimes I want to experiment with non-meta weapons and tactics 😋

You're way behind on this, dude.

Go back a few pages.

8 minutes ago, Zascha said:

You're way behind on this, dude.

Go back a few pages.

Meaning the part where you justified generalizations by claiming laziness, after you've basically written a dissertation to explain why you didn't want to write a dissertation? 😂

25 minutes ago, Nevv said:

Meaning the part where you justified generalizations by claiming laziness, after you've basically written a dissertation to explain why you didn't want to write a dissertation? 😂

Nope. You missed it.

Here's a link to help you find it: 

It's about 3/4 of the way down the page.

It's the one where I go into more detail than anyone else in this thread has bothered to do, and explain as briefly as I could without losing the value of the context how there are Casual Players and there are Not Casual Players who are highly Competitive but are called Tryhards. I used the word Tryhard, not because I think less of them. I used the word, because everyone who plays this game knows what it means. It's a literary device. It's called a symbol. I use symbols so that I can concentrate a larger topic into a smaller portion of text. You should use it sometime.

And then I take that explanation and show how it is affected by our Threat System and Match-Making and how that has created this social divide between Silvers and Golds (which is the actual point of this entire thread, by the way) and it actually pin-points pretty precisely what it is people hate about this game and why it will never grow to great numbers. I don't extrapolate on those particular ideas, but they're definitely in there.

I then had further communication with people who were upset that I didn't write even MORE. I explained to them that I didn't want to write a dissertation because I already knew few people would read the already lengthy post, and by then, some had already trolled it. I then ended up, in the spirit of good fellowship, explaining myself further, with mild frustration of course, because I hadn't said anything that wasn't already written in the actual first post I wrote.

Go back and read that one. Then maybe we can get to your opinion about how you have a problem with a spectrum that only includes tryhard and experienced casual--which isn't even accurate to the actual spectrum I provided. I actually had a spectrum with 5 spots, and I did a pretty good job explaining what those were. It's in the post I made.

Here's the link again in case you missed it the first time:

It's about 3/4 down the page.

You can tell which one is mine because it has my name and icon beside it. Plus, it's the longest post in the thread. I guess that means it has more generalizations than everyone else's posts... including yours. Then again, at least mine are accurate--unlike yours. I just find it curious you seem to want to make a statement about my generalizations, and no one else's.

Edited by Zascha

Zascha no matter what you say, most of the people around here will always refuse to listen. Their individual feelings > reality, and they're all casual low gold/high silvers so you're hurting their feelings with the truth. You show them proof, they just dismiss you. You say a paragraph, they pick out 1-2 words and nitpick you to death because you hurt their feelings. Scrublord posted a video of a guy playing on PC with a controller with his feet ffs and people still talking. There's nothing to talk about; you either put in the work to get good at APB or you sit in APB and complain about stuff that you're either too lazy or incapable of learning. Everything else is a bunch of excuses and fuckboy shit.

Lots of snowflakes on the forums and it's only June. Lol.

3 hours ago, NopeTooFast said:

how do you get from silver to gold anyway

i keep trying but my teammates suck on top of getting a bunch of seal clubbers and i end up dethreating to bronze

Hard to say without seeing you play. 

If you wanted to stream or upload some gameplay, Id be happy to look at it as Im sure would others. 

Edited by CookiePuss

on one hand the idea of people taking apb seriously enough to call it competitive is genuinely funny to me

one the other hand, if you have been on this game with 500+ hours of playtime outside of social and struggle with gold threat, then I genuinely do not think it is a matter of mentality or how seriously you are taking the game. I think there are a lot of golds that fundamentally don't understand the game they are playing. 

I think elitism in this game has always been a problem, don't get me wrong. There's a lot of younger players that are obsessive about looking good in a game with a humorously low skill ceiling. But I don't think threat has ever been a major factor in that. 

Honestly Zascha's posts is a large reason why I've often stayed out of serious game debate threads. It's a lot of black-and-white thinking, and theoretical talk that doesn't step foot in actual player behavior. Anyone that remembers Red Bird from the forums knows it. We can talk about "dpi manipulation" and "maximum frames" for a dozen pages but a portion of the posters on this forum will always fundamentally play the game in a totally different way. Game sense and awareness isn't something exclusive to APB. It's basic shooter knowledge. But even a large portion of golds still haven't learned it. 

To me, the problem with flawed matchmaking in APB has never been about individual skill. It's that you have groups of people in Discord or TS going against soloqueue players or a team of two in larger matches. That's a way bigger discrepancy with no oversight. 

12 minutes ago, PogoTheClown said:

humorously low skill ceiling

hahaha.gif&client=cbc79c14efcebee57402&s

As long as the game is littered with RNG, spawns are inconsistant, UE3 mouse lag is more substantial to any other shooters of the same engine, and servers are capped to 30 tick best case scenario, it's pretty unsurprising why mid/high gold behavior hasnt evolved much since 2014

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Thanks 1