ShaiShai

question about matchmaking (yea ik another stupid silver asking questions)

I was wondering, say you start a mission with 4 people (all randoms all different threat) and say the gold (can be anyone, but its mostly the golds i see doing this) abandons mission (we have no opp) does that throw off the matchmaking cuz the game still thinks that there is still a gold in the group or does it reset as soon as someone leaves? (i wonder if this is why i always see one sided matches)

I don't think so as when it happens to me (fellow silver) I tend to get a mission opposition pretty quickly after they ditch the mission.

The problem then is that I am frequently on my own at that point and get put against another silver... this equals no backup for either side and the mission quickly turns boring.

Edited by Jobs2k

I dont think so, but the match macking tries to find a tradeoff between geting an opposed match as soon as possible and finding a balanced matchmaking (or more so minimizing the gap between two teams)

Say the server has a list groups in active unopposed mission and the another seperate list for players that are ready for missions (in group or solo). Players are represented by some numerical value whether it's simply the rank, total kill count or k/d ratio, win rate or an equation of all of the above. Same, a groupe / team is a sum of the players in it.

The server use a gready algorithm to find a subset of players that has the closest sum of said value to get an opposed game going. Simply put, the goal is not just  a fair or perfect matchmaking , the objective is to get an opposed matchgoing going as soon as paussible. I for one found my self in disadvantage alot of the  time but im completely fine with that.

If he abandons just a millisecond before you get opposition that might actually happen (but very rarely).

Usually if you get a mission right after a member of your team abandons that means that a match has become possible that was not possinble before due to said member raising the teams strength above all possible combinations the server tried to come up with.

I wouldn't put it past the server's state of garbage though to proceed with a matchup even if a member abandoned just a few milliseconds before, it should still give you the option to call backup however.

i didnt even know there was a matchmaking. i was with 3 of my friends (all bronzes) and the first match we got was against a toxic gold clan.. 

if there is a matchmaking it wasnt turned on that day idk. it didnt work that well before i only play with the same people we talk and laugh on discord but like 80% of our matches were against a mix of silver and gold opp when we're all bronzes but that didnt bother us much bc we just have fun. even when i played solo it was always against silver and golds but not the toxic golds that we have to face now. not me im waiting for eu servers before reinstalling

1 minute ago, postalgril said:

i didnt even know there was a matchmaking. i was with 3 of my friends (all bronzes) and the first match we got was against a toxic gold clan.. 

if there is a matchmaking it wasnt turned on that day idk. it didnt work that well before i only play with the same people we talk and laugh on discord but like 80% of our matches were against a mix of silver and gold opp when we're all bronzes but that didnt bother us much bc we just have fun. even when i played solo it was always against silver and golds but not the toxic golds that we have to face now. not me im waiting for eu servers before reinstalling

there is matchmaking but like any decently programmed system, if there has been no match for a certain period of time, the system tosses anyone available for a game.

No point in the system keeping you and another team on hold for 30 minutes while it waits for a perfect match (or in the case of APB for days).

The system tries to find the best available matches according to who is actively in the mission, so if a player leaves then they aren't factored into the match making.  Very rarely does someone leave the moment you get opp.  Usually what happens is when the person leaves, it quickly pulls the best matching players in BECAUSE someone left and its now a "fair" game between the two groups whereas before the person left it wasn't.

14 hours ago, SkittyM said:

The system tries to find the best available matches according to who is actively in the mission, so if a player leaves then they aren't factored into the match making.  Very rarely does someone leave the moment you get opp.  Usually what happens is when the person leaves, it quickly pulls the best matching players in BECAUSE someone left and its now a "fair" game between the two groups whereas before the person left it wasn't.

that's the problem tho, its not a "fair" game, those games (well most games nowadays) seems to be one sided where one side has 3 players (say all gold) and all them get 20+ kills each (or very high close to it) and the other side has 4 low rank silvers / bronzes and can only get a combined kill total of 8, how is this a "fair" game, and what makes it worse is that the golds most time t bag you and wispier you telling you to uninstall the game

this was a game i just had now, this is a prime example of what i am talking about

how is this a "Fair" game?

combined kill total of their side 21 (11, 6, 4)

combined kill total of our side (we also had a few rage quit and our gold was not even in the match but the system thought she was {no x next to name}) 4 (3, 1) so how is this a "Fair" match

@MattScott any anwsers on this?

Hcv4hqV.jpg

Edited by ShaiShai
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, ShaiShai said:

that's the problem tho, its not a "fair" game

Totally just me drawing conclusions in my head but I'm pretty sure a big issue with matchmaking, since forever, is how unrepresentative threat is of skill, (or at least how well the game thinks those threat levels will do) Matchmaking presumes 3 average silvers and a first day bronze player equals 3 golds of any caliber when in reality the skill gap is way too large for that to come out fair almost ever.

• Like 1