Jump to content
porkuspigus

threat-system changed?

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Hexerin said:

Nowadays yes, I maintain silver. I've stopped caring about putting any effort into this game several years ago, after I got tired of dealing with the cancerous social politics of gold district. Nowadays I just roll around with newbies, propping them up when they show they're invested in becoming good members of the community. Still occasionally visit silver district, but usually lose interest fairly quickly due to a lack of any challenge from the golds there. Actually get more of a challenge from the dethreated golds in bronze, which isn't very surprising but still quite a sad state of the game.

considering it takes more effort for any player with a functioning brain to game the threat system than it does to maintain gold threat, your “no effort” excuse kind of falls through

 

you know what the actual low effort way to avoid “social politics”? just don’t talk in /d

 

 

Edited by Solamente
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Noob_Guardian said:

 

did Little Orbit ever mention the current table  ways of threat vs what they have planned in detail for either?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Hexerin said:

Don't recall ever seeing him silver.

bdceb3b0872427c3d2abfb7b9ceff355.png

Don't worry. I've  seen him silver numerous times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Fortune Runner said:

did Little Orbit ever mention the current table  ways of threat vs what they have planned in detail for either?

 

No, but if they were changing anything for threat they'd probably announce it as an update as Settle the Score did, and the adjustment for gold to be top 20% rather than 10%, no such changes have been announced, so i'll take it that they havn't actually touched the threat system unless they have mentioned it.

Edited by Noob_Guardian
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

Don't worry. I've  seen him silver numerous times.

Luckily LO gives SPCT perma gold. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

(this isn't true, so calm down nerds)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2019 at 3:16 AM, Noob_Guardian said:

Except that g1 had expressly stated that they did look at a number of previous matches to determine threat, and since the point system, no such changes have been announced to the threat system to say they changed the system to the one you describe, without the match averages. Nor did they say that the system changed to not include the previous match information (not that they had to, but it would seem odd that they'd leave it out)

I don't recall them ever stating this in conjunction with Settle the Score; except maybe as in "we're no longer looking at your past 50 matches to determine threat". Of course I might be wrong, I'm not infallible. All my information is based of everything we were supplied with through blog posts and forum discussions. Given that I spent an insane amount of time on the APB forums back then I feel like I have had a very complex grasp on that information.

But from my memory the idea of Settle the Score was to make threat more accurate and the computation more complex than the original system (RTW) or looking at past matches (before scores).

 

On 10/14/2019 at 3:16 AM, Noob_Guardian said:

The system to my knowledge runs similar to what you're saying, but it accounts for your overall progress over a number of matches. You also talk about CV but how is it calculated? You simply talk about the glicko values. How does the confidence value change? What is that based on? Over how long is that CV based? How does it know that its confident? You can't have that value without some sort of performance over time basis can you?

Confidence is built essentially the same way as threat. If you meet expectations your CV increases, if you are far off base it decreases. There is no duration (re: "Over how long is that CV based?"), it is based on your performance and is just as stable as your personal performance. All it does is harden your actual threat level (glicko value) against fluctuation caused by momentary spikes in performance (both positive and negative). If those spikes are the norm (because you are new or actively manipulating your mission score result) the CV stays low and your threat becomes (more) mobile.

Time isn't necessary in this scenario.

 

 

[i}]However speaking of time-based[/i] there is supposedly a time-based mechanic for gradually decreasing your threat if you do not actively play the game. This was never explained in depth and only thrown in as an offhand remark. My threat level has not visibly changed while I didn't play the game for two years (I think) at all and only sporadically (and mainly in Fight Club) more recently, so that system might not actually work. Or my threat level was fairly well settled.

 

On 10/14/2019 at 3:16 AM, Noob_Guardian said:

What about them trying to keep a ~20% gold pop ~30%-40% silver whatever it is for bronze and gold. How is that handled?

That was handled piss-poor, because they never introduced a system to dynamically keep these desired ranges in place.

 

Or in other words: Twice they manually adjusted threat ranges to create those values artificially and twice they went wildly out of place again within a week. The threat system only calculates individual threat, it doesn't look at the whole population.

This caused a general uptick in threat over time as new players would enter the matchmaking system, get beaten by more experienced players, then quit. The more experienced players would gain a bit of threat, get beaten by even more experienced ones who would gain threat off of that and so forth.

 

Pretty sure @MattScott mentioned they plan to - finally - introduce a dynamic threat range in the future, so this issue should hopefully be a thing of the past as well then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2019 at 4:22 PM, Revoluzzer said:

I don't recall them ever stating this in conjunction with Settle the Score; except maybe as in "we're no longer looking at your past 50 matches to determine threat". Of course I might be wrong, I'm not infallible. All my information is based of everything we were supplied with through blog posts and forum discussions. Given that I spent an insane amount of time on the APB forums back then I feel like I have had a very complex grasp on that information.

But from my memory the idea of Settle the Score was to make threat more accurate and the computation more complex than the original system (RTW) or looking at past matches (before scores).

 

Nah, from what I remember it was in a general forum post comment by a red name in a forum about threat but not an official blog post or anything. I remember a number of things as well about discussions, but i remember this one specifically because it's what made me end up deciding dethreating during gold lock wasn't worth the effort. xD Things may have changed after settle the score, however, form what I know, all that did was make threat levels based on score, rather than the win/loss type ratio. So they may have ditched that aspect, but it may still be there in the background. I havn't heard anything about it since, so I assumed it was still there.

 

On 10/18/2019 at 4:22 PM, Revoluzzer said:

[i}]However speaking of time-based[/i] there is supposedly a time-based mechanic for gradually decreasing your threat if you do not actively play the game. This was never explained in depth and only thrown in as an offhand remark. My threat level has not visibly changed while I didn't play the game for two years (I think) at all and only sporadically (and mainly in Fight Club) more recently, so that system might not actually work. Or my threat level was fairly well settled.

 

That was handled piss-poor, because they never introduced a system to dynamically keep these desired ranges in place.

 

 I remember no such mentioning of threat decreasing over time for APB, and I've gone through bouts of not playing and no such decay seems to have happened. I know Overwatch had it, but removed the system recently.

On 10/18/2019 at 4:22 PM, Revoluzzer said:

This caused a general uptick in threat over time as new players would enter the matchmaking system, get beaten by more experienced players, then quit. The more experienced players would gain a bit of threat, get beaten by even more experienced ones who would gain threat off of that and so forth.

 

Pretty sure @MattScott mentioned they plan to - finally - introduce a dynamic threat range in the future, so this issue should hopefully be a thing of the past as well then.

I wasn't sure how they had calculated it, so it wasn't dynamic. RIP, I had hoped it was, but i guess i was wrong.

 

Edited by Noob_Guardian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2019 at 12:08 PM, Hexerin said:

I miss the original threat system. Simple 15 levels, winning pushed you up a level and losing pushed you down a level. Top level caused you to be announced to the district when you entered. Simple, efficient, and rewarded actually trying to win. Also had better matchmaking back then, but districts were also 50v50 and basically always full on both sides.

It's even more simple now. Instead of 15 levels, there are 10 levels.

 

And, you want it announced you entered Bronze District?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2019 at 9:32 PM, porkuspigus said:

Hi!  i  was gold, but now im silver 😞 ;  last time when i was silver, was in 2017.  Did  threat-system changed? i read some posts about  elo-based threat system... 

You got silver because you deserve silver. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...