Queen of Love

Minimal and recommended requirements

As title says, i should have in theory 60/70 fps with my requirements (much more than recommended on STEAM page) but actual i have a poor 21/22 fps with sudden crash in random event.

With an improved PC i recognize a worst performance than 2012. The server looks like the weak chain of the computation (latency at 33ms now but i never went over 12). 

Which are the minimal requirements now?

Post your specs if you want real help. 

As of recommended requirements, the steam page says: 4gb ram,  4c cpu and a gt8800 with 512mb of vram. Trust me, the game doesn't run well on those specs, since the old pc I had about 5 years ago didn't run this game very well (or any other game with similar reqs),  and my machine had a similar gpu and cpu. 

Even though the game has been updated a couple of times since the last time specs were updated, i doubt they have got more demanding, or that they have even changed. 

Since I don't have any idea of what your machine has, the path of upgrades I'd recommend would be: gpu, then ssd. Don't mind the ram and cpu; i've had this game run on 3gb of ddr3 ram (minimum on steam page) on a friend's computer, and basically any cpu that you might find out there will be enough for this game.

Edited by _chain

You should have at least i3 at higher frequency u can (3.2GHz+), 8GB of RAM (dual channel 4+4) and no matter which video card with highest memory bandwidth (192GB/s+, at least 1GB of VRAM).

And you will be fine with 60-90fps, with drops anyway. Game eats 5Gb of RAM, 600mb of VRAM at @1080p, use one CPU core and has slowpoke sprites, smoke, particles. If you don’t need FPS drops u should have 4GHz+ core CPU because AMD is too bad in all about single core performance.

Fps drops are more related to wether you're using an SSD or an HDD, at least on w10. On w10 without an SSD you'll have stuttering and dips all the time, at least in my experience with this and many other, much more demanding titles using UE. 4gb of ram and 1gb vram is more than enough for this game at any res and settings. 

Those system specs are not even remotely accurate, but I doubt Little Orbit will bother changing them to match the current engine. 

It would be nice though if they update it once we're on the newer version of the Unreal Engine

This is what I recommend for the current game.

CPU: 2nd Gen i5 quad-core 3Ghz or better.

RAM: 8GB min, 16GB recommended. 1866MHz or higher DDR3, 3000Mhz or higher DDR4.

GPU: GTX 960 (1080p/100fps), GTX 970/RX580 or higher (1440p 144fps)

Storage: Separate HDD for APB, or an SSD.

If you are good with tweaking your hardware, you can get decent fps with an older gen CPU. For example, the X5690 in my sig gets 140+ fps on average and rarely dips below 100fps. I still have the garbage collector stutters, but that's unavoidable atm. Also, due to the latest security patches and useless hardware features, you can actually get worse performance with the latest hardware and software.

A few more tweaks:

- Use Nvidia GPU driver 388.59 if you don't have a GTX 2xxx series. Some new games may require a newer driver.

- Disable HPET in the BIOS. Make sure your new motherboard has this option before buying it.

- Do not apply the spectre/meltdown security patched BIOS to your system. Obviously a security risk, but it does reduce performance. This mostly affects new hardware.

Edited by MrsHappyPenguin

Sadness 4gb of RAM is not enough for this game because she needs 5-6GB for herself and also x64 Windows eats ~3Gb of RAM.

Same about multiple cpu cores. This game calculates your PC performance from Core #0. Btw 90% of system processes using Core #0 too. This means than higher Core #0 performance than more FPS you will get. If your first cpu core working at 3GHz and you have 4 cores in total so your first core will be utilized for ~100% and others are about 25% ~=175%...

I mean your cpu performance calculating for like: Core 0 = 100%, Core 1 = 70% performance from core 0, Core 2 = 50% and Core 3 = 25% from core 0. So u think that u should have 1 core*4= 400% but in reality it’s like 225-250% only. Because still no low level multithread optimizations.

UE3 as it is don’t use more than two cpu cores. All other % is a “fake loading”. Some dynamic threads optimizations by OS and drivers.

Edited by PACwoMAN

On 11/29/2018 at 9:58 AM, MrsHappyPenguin said:

This is what I recommend for the current game.

CPU: 2nd Gen i5 quad-core 3Ghz or better.

RAM: 8GB min, 16GB recommended. 1866MHz or higher DDR3, 3000Mhz or higher DDR4.

GPU: GTX 960 (1080p/100fps), GTX 970/RX580 or higher (1440p 144fps)

Storage: Separate HDD for APB, or an SSD.

If you are good with tweaking your hardware, you can get decent fps with an older gen CPU. For example, the X5690 in my sig gets 140+ fps on average and rarely dips below 100fps. I still have the garbage collector stutters, but that's unavoidable atm. Also, due to the latest security patches and useless hardware features, you can actually get worse performance with the latest hardware and software.

A few more tweaks:

- Use Nvidia GPU driver 388.59 if you don't have a GTX 2xxx series. Some new games may require a newer driver.

- Disable HPET in the BIOS. Make sure your new motherboard has this option before buying it.

- Do not apply the spectre/meltdown security patched BIOS to your system. Obviously a security risk, but it does reduce performance. This mostly affects new hardware.

apb relies on single core performance. many notebook cpus (including i7 up to 6th? generation) only have two cores (4 threads) - and the game runs more than fine. you do not need a quadcore to run this game well (especially not an i5). an i3 is perfectly fine, especially the newer generations (as long as it isn't a low end with barely 2GHz)

Even if you run couple of background processes like Discord/Steam/TS3 or whatever you want (Ventrilo x Mumble lul).

Same for the GPU. No, you don't need a 960, nor a 970. Not even close. A GTX 760/960m is perfectly capable for running the game 80-90FPS/high/FHD

You will still get drops with too many particles - that also happens on my 1080 Ti and 2080 Ti though. You can lower the limits and are fine then though.

You will also get the drops from garbagecollection and some memory leaks etc - better/worse depending on SSD/HDD, even with an m.2 it's still noticeable - and you shouldn't install APB on an SSD to begin with since it considerably wears it down, more than any other game because of cacheing on it (I think that was the reason...) - RAM disks are a godsent here.

So - although you normally don't need more than 4GB RAM for APB (so far!) - since it is a 32bit application and can address 3GB max. However they wanna change to 64bit either way and for a RAM disk you'd want more memory. 8GB is worth it an reasonable these days. There is hardly any reason to go over that considering the other specs listed.

Recommending 3000MHz DDR4 when recommeending 1866MHz DDR3 is kinda unreasonable and most CPUs are barely specified for 2400MHz (including latest gen Intel) and you'd need to use XMP (that you didn't mention)

tl;dr

- any "better" i3 (3rd Gen, 2,4GHz (if there are any in this spec this early))/any Ryzen will do

- anything >=760/960m will do

- 4GB/8GB w/ RAM disk will do, dw too much abt frequency, 1333MHz should be fine.

- SSD is good, HDD + RAM disk is better (for your SSD xd)

the performance hits from meltdown and spectre should be negligible for APB (with newer cpus especially) but so are the risks for end users. go for whichever.

budget builds with ryzen are much better than buying a "lower end" intel for the same price.

edit:

of course more memory always can't hurt. since apb should improve graphically and might cache more things in ram/vram, going higher newer can't hurt. 8gb ram and a gpu with 4gb vram should be standard these days. and with those, you should stay futureproof. also sincd you probably dont always want to play apb, a better cpu than an old i3 probably should be your aim too. i5, gtx 960 etc and the specs listed are/were fair and should be aimed for - but far from needing to be recommended

Edited by neophobia

APB uses more than 2 cores, therefor a quad core or better is recommended. You can easily see this viewing APB in task manager and resource monitor. The latest dual core CPUs will work, but it won't be optimal.

The reason I recommended a GTX 960 or better is because the particle system causes fps drops. You can use the advanced launcher or your own custom config to negate the issue. Those recommendations are to keep you near the fps limit.

If APB kills your SSD, it was faulty to begin with. The whole point of using an SSD is to get fast read and write times.

I've done tests with RAM speed and APB, although I haven't tested DDR4 yet. There are noticeable gains in average and minimum fps when increasing the RAM frequency. You also need tight timings, but 1866 is the lowest I would run it. 1333MHz will kill you fps.

The only thing a RAM disk would be OK for is putting the Assetcache folder on it, but even then, a small SSD will be cheaper with near identical performance in loading times, at least with APB.