Sign in to follow this  
nndrei

APB on Linux

i wanted to ask, if anyone has apb on linux.
I would like to know how is the experience and if it is an optimal system for apb?

(Linux ubuntu)

• Like 2

It doesn't work at the moment. The anticheat won't let it far as I'm aware.

• Like 1

Most likely it will not run. Battleye does not run under Wine or Proton for other games.

12 minutes ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

Why do Linux users always have to state what distro they use.

There's thousands of distributions with different versions and software packages. Saying they're on Ubuntu is like saying you're on Windows 10.

1 minute ago, SquirrelFace said:

Most likely it will not run. Battleye does not run under Wine or Proton for other games.

There's thousands of distributions with different versions and software packages. Saying they're on Ubuntu is like saying you're on Windows 10.

You forgot to mention what distro you use.

I use unraid.

2 hours ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

Why do Linux users always have to state what distro they use.

Linux is the kernal, saying its ubuntu is the distribution 

no I don't think battleye works on linux but even if it did apb checks for DEP which isn't emulated by wine.

Edited by MonkaS

47 minutes ago, MonkaS said:

no I don't think battleye works on linux but even if it did apb checks for DEP which isn't emulated by wine.

DEP can be fixed, Battleye can not. When EAC was a thing it was possible to run the game but there were some post-login functions that caused a crash, and the launcher is broken unless original .NET Framework DLLs are loaded manually. If you absolutely must single boot Linux and run APB, plugging your GPU into a VFIO virtual machine is your only option and it's incredibly complicated to set up properly.

I've had the exact same results with Proton, both the official and GloriousEggroll variants. What I haven't tested yet is the new engine, although the BE issue can only be solved if Little Orbit officially supports Proton.

Edited by mojical
  • Like 1

Although the future of gaming is looking increasingly bright for Linux users, thus far I've had no luck running the game trough either Proton or WINE. You'll need to dual boot Windows or set up a PCI passtrough VM to play I'm afraid...

On 10/4/2020 at 7:50 AM, mojical said:

DEP can be fixed, Battleye can not. When EAC was a thing it was possible to run the game but there were some post-login functions that caused a crash, and the launcher is broken unless original .NET Framework DLLs are loaded manually. If you absolutely must single boot Linux and run APB, plugging your GPU into a VFIO virtual machine is your only option and it's incredibly complicated to set up properly.

I've had the exact same results with Proton, both the official and GloriousEggroll variants. What I haven't tested yet is the new engine, although the BE issue can only be solved if Little Orbit officially supports Proton.

well thats new it used to be just the dep check back in like 2014 or 2015. So battleye works with proton now? quick google search says otherwise. 

14 hours ago, MonkaS said:

So battleye works with proton now? quick google search says otherwise. 

This is exactly the opposite of what I meant to say in my post. To clarify, Battleye does NOT currently work with Proton/Wine. For DEP no special patches are required anymore AFAIK.

Sign in to follow this