Gusvato3080

Is gifting system ever coming back?

It was a really great addition to the marketplace. Why was it removed in the first place?

Edited by Gusvato3080

1 minute ago, Gusvato3080 said:

It was a really great addition to the marketplace. Why was it removed in the first place?

gifting was removed because of chargeback abuse/exploitation iirc

would be nice to have it back, especially now that joker tickets are a purchasable option 

1 minute ago, 404 said:

gifting was removed because of chargeback abuse/exploitation iirc

would be nice to have it back, especially now that joker tickets are a purchasable option 

Wow that's sad. How did that even work?

2 minutes ago, Gusvato3080 said:

Wow that's sad. How did that even work?

you could gift someone an armas purchase, then initiate a chargeback, and both accounts would be banned

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, 404 said:

you could gift someone an armas purchase, then initiate a chargeback, and both accounts would be banned

That's why I'm for sending items only after confirming payment. Will slow down ARMAs purchases but at least will make them safer and system would not be possible to abuse in such way.

Edited by Mitne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, 404 said:

That's really f'd up. I hope they can find a solution for this some day. I'd love to burn money gifting stuff to my friends again lol

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, 404 said:

what was the reason for both accounts to be banned again?

why not just revoke the items bought and ban the gifter, the one who initiated the chargeback?

3 hours ago, Mitne said:

That's why I'm for sending items only after confirming payment. Will slow down ARMAs purchases but at least will make them safer and system would not be possible to abuse in such way.

Don't chargebacks occur after payment? That wouldn't change anything except making it more inconvenient.

I think it'd be better if there were a minimum playtime on an account before it can gift, as that would prevent being able to quickly create and gift on throwaway accounts.

1 hour ago, Aeronaut said:

what was the reason for both accounts to be banned again?

why not just revoke the items bought and ban the gifter, the one who initiated the chargeback?

Temporary items (i.e. prem and gun rentals) can't be revoked if they've already been used and/or expired, and there may not have been a method at the time to remove unlocks (i.e. clothing) on an account.

something about dealing with the charge backs coupled with the difficulty in removing items made it not worthwhile from a monetary standpoint

... i think

Edited by CookiePuss

6 hours ago, Mitne said:

i'm not sure you understand how chargebacks work but that would mean holding items for months after the initial purchase, i don't think that's really an effective solution

Just to add - the abuse/exploitation wasn't just a handful of ne'er-do-wells trying to make a quick buck or ruin some innocent account's day - it was done en masse, using exploits in Steam, with high-value/expensive gifts, and it was done months after the purchases/gifting was already done. 

The most notorious was with the KTTC Pack which was a significant purchase - it was bought with a low-value currency to get it at its cheapest, then resold through a third-party website to players all over APB. The players thought they were just getting a "good deal" since it all seemed at least 90% legit and then months latter the sellers mass-charged back compounded by Steam's weird system, the powers at the time, GamersFirst ended up losing a ton of money, money that had already been spent as the OG purchases were months and months ago. 

What could they do? The KTTC pack was intertwined well into so many accounts, they had already taken a huge hit to their coffers and now they got to spend even more time going through all the accounts to manually remove items? No it wouldn't do. So they banned both seller and buyer, sucked for the buyers, but they did offer them their accounts back if they re-purchased the KTTC pack at a discount - bit of a dickmove sure - but G1 had to get some profits back and probably thought a lot of players would pay the ransom. 

So all a shitty situation caused by some scummy people playing a long game to steal some cash - no one came out of that mess smelling good. Lost a considerable amount of players and the ability to gift ARMAs. I really doubt LO will be at all willing to even tempt a situation like that any time soon.

Edited by KnifuWaifu
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, 404 said:

i'm not sure you understand how chargebacks work but that would mean holding items for months after the initial purchase, i don't think that's really an effective solution

Fact. Never had to use one.

On 6/29/2020 at 3:29 PM, Gusvato3080 said:

fraud.

idk just send wallet funds thru steam to ur friend, or just send it thru cashapp

53 minutes ago, claude said:

fraud.

idk just send wallet funds thru steam to ur friend, or just send it thru cashapp

Well, the cool thing about sending gifts through armas was that I could use any extra g1c I had after purchasing what I wanted to gift stuff to friends that are new to the game. 

• Like 1