Mercuie

Hide Threat

Threat and match making has been a plague on this game for ages.  Be it people not wanting to be matched against golds or max ranks to dethreating to break free of having to deal with better players or wanting to do their own stomping.  It also is a e-peen / ego thing for many players as well. 

So why not just hide it?  From what I have seen on the NA servers with segregated districts removed we're getting a lot more varied op and districts that actually seem alive again. It seems to still try to match golds vs golds. But it also has been pretty good if one team has a silver that the other team has a silver too.  It's honestly sorta fun to have players of different skill levels all on the same team.  Problem is people still see the threat and all the issues that come with it and cry about it.  So why not just hide it?  We can't get rid of it and eventually you're doing the weird phasey crap anywho.  Hide threat.  People can't cry as easily about their OP.  People can't dethreat because they don't know what their own threat is.  People can't ego over it.  It seems to just eliminate a ton of issues.  People might feel like trying more against their op because they don't know the threat.  And with the small player base we have the ego lovers will still be known.  "Oh this person is tough" so you can still just ignore the battle if you don't feel like fighting it.

Hide threat, heck even hide rank.  Just let it look like players are fighting players while keeping the threat system in the background.  At this point we really don't need to know.  It doesn't offer anything positive to know.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Oh yeah redoing the threat system is a tough ask.  I know they're planning on working on it at one point after engine update, but until then I really just think hiding it from player view would bring mostly positive change over the current system of showing it to players.  They took away showing individual threat to try to help with that problem in like 2012 and now it seems it might be best to just outright hide it.  That way instead of fighting Mercuie, Gold, 255.  You just fight Mercuie.  The system will know I'm gold but you and I wont.  At the very least it could be worth trying out for a bit and seeing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree, let the matchmaking be behind the scenes, i don't feel like visible threat adds anything to the game other then frustration. Better yet don't bother with re segregating the districts, with our pop numbers its better to just throw everyone in together so everyone can have both a financial and waterfront to play in and teams are more varied.

I like the idea of just fighting names, and rather then players thinking "oh man thats a full gold team", they think "oh shit im fighting DinosaurMan, hes a strong opponent".

If bigger overhauls come later thats cool, but for now these are two simple changes that i think would make the game just that little bit better.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Agreed and welcome back buddy to APB reloaded..... i remember the time they tried it g1 that is... but for some reason it didn't work out so well because people started moaning... i hope they will do this once again and it stays. maybe it will get rid of the ego people seem to have when they're gold level threat, they feel entitled to look down on the silvers and bronzes as if it's there giving right. oh you silvers suck go bronze district,, that way if you remove threat then you take that away from the egotistic players.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Golder.  And I haven't left.  I just don't play my mains.  I still get plenty of harassment and my own mental pressure to do well on my mains.  Hiddens just let me relax.

a lot of posts on Little Orbits stance so I'm assuming you dont know about any of them. heres one of them.

if you look at MattScott's activity feed youll eventually find his other posts on this.

Edit copied wrong link like a goof

Edited by Fortune Runner
  • Thanks 2

On 1/6/2020 at 5:13 AM, Mercuie said:

Threat and match making has been a plague on this game for ages.  Be it people not wanting to be matched against golds or max ranks to dethreating to break free of having to deal with better players or wanting to do their own stomping.  It also is a e-peen / ego thing for many players as well. 

So why not just hide it?  From what I have seen on the NA servers with segregated districts removed we're getting a lot more varied op and districts that actually seem alive again. It seems to still try to match golds vs golds. But it also has been pretty good if one team has a silver that the other team has a silver too.  It's honestly sorta fun to have players of different skill levels all on the same team.  Problem is people still see the threat and all the issues that come with it and cry about it.  So why not just hide it?  We can't get rid of it and eventually you're doing the weird phasey crap anywho.  Hide threat.  People can't cry as easily about their OP.  People can't dethreat because they don't know what their own threat is.  People can't ego over it.  It seems to just eliminate a ton of issues.  People might feel like trying more against their op because they don't know the threat.  And with the small player base we have the ego lovers will still be known.  "Oh this person is tough" so you can still just ignore the battle if you don't feel like fighting it.

Hide threat, heck even hide rank.  Just let it look like players are fighting players while keeping the threat system in the background.  At this point we really don't need to know.  It doesn't offer anything positive to know.

Its true i dont see this on xbox

17 hours ago, Fortune Runner said:

a lot of posts on Little Orbits stance so I'm assuming you dont know about any of them. heres one of them.

if you look at MattScott's activity feed youll eventually find his other posts on this.

Edit copied wrong link like a goof

If I did, I forgot about it.  2018 was awhile ago and I have a horrible memory. And I rarely ever come to the forums.  It's mostly just people mad.  So thank you very much for posting that to me.  I really appreciate it.  So it just seems like they'll hide it at one point or because of the 1 world phasey stuff it wont matter anyway.  Awesome.  Wish they would just do it now though. 

21 minutes ago, Mercuie said:

If I did, I forgot about it. 

we all forget

its been one busy year with lots of new bugs discovered while converting which is why SPCT is still testing.

feel sorry for those poor SPCT people.

one tedious thing after another and they're only normal players helping out

okay CookiePuss is not exactly normal

But you know , just players with APB knowledge helping solve this mess