FluttershyI

[Critical fixes] - Required changes for a succesful game experience - Community Feedback

Lets start first of all by saying this is not some kind of ranting post, but a serious effort to collectively provide critical feedback before going into the next stage of developing APB. Little Orbit has shown to be willing to make changes and fixes to aspects wich were never touched by Gamersfirst and are re-doing things wich haven't gone according to plan. Before the engine upgrade is going live there are quite some (and in cases very critical) aspects wich have been overlooked. I have collected those and combined them from community feedback. Keep in mind that everybody experiences the game in a different way and you might not agree to a small percentage of these changes, but it'll overall greatly improve gameplay experience - So don't just look at this (long) list from your own perspective or disapprove of this fully just because a single item (weapon/grenade or modification type for instance) is something you use and wouldn't like to have changed, leave constructive feedback in that case. I would like to fully update this list more based on community feedback and it would be amazing if we could eventually select the most important things together, by using a poll for instance. - Or maybe Little Orbit could have an updated public thread with a to do list so people don't endlessly keep creating these kind of threads. - I think it would decrease a lot of suggestion threads and reassure motivated players that their feedback has already been taken into account.

Finished:

N-HVR 762 - Quickswitching nerf

Premium - Fix cooldown advantages

Car spawn - Introduction of cooldown timer

More active anti-cheat policy

New GM's and SPCT

RIOT Gamemode (Not at all as critical)

Confirmed (rework comming soon):

Ammo boxes (usables) - Decrease explosive capacity

OCA variants - Re-balance

NFAS-12 variants - Re-balance

Showstopper variants - Re-balance

RFP-9 variants - Re-balance

Car gameplay (e.g. Pioneer) - Introduce counter / Re-balance > EMP grenade

Districts - Cue system / crossdistrict matchmaking

New contacts / increased level cap

Engine upgrade

Critical - To do in the future:

Percussion grenades - Rework/Re-balance

Low-Yield Fragmentation Grenade - Re-balance/reduce amount

Shields (usables) - Remove or re-balance

Usables - Increase inventory count to 2147483646, remove all (sending of) usables from/to mailbox

Fix the possibility of recieving 1 v 1 missions

2 v 2 or and 1 v 1 VIP Missions - Remove or rework the mode to have equal chances

Fix ability to call back-up in a 2 v 2 with the same thread

Scoreboard - Fix glitch wich causes old opposition to still be showing (It's a shooter, scoreboard has to be funtional)

Mission stage timers - Re-balance to equal for enforcers & criminals

Mission spawns - Rework spawn distances & in-line of sight (and behind enemy) spawns

Not critical - To do in the future/posted suggestions:

Weapons - Buff/change unpopular/barely used weapons, or revert certain unnecessary nerfs (e.g. Norseman)

Modifications - Buff/change unpopular/barely used modifications (e.g. Cargo capacity)

Vehicles - Buff/change unpopular/barely used cars (e.g. Slow/clipping or non-heavy vehicles)

Modifications - Adjust required minimum levels to remove an unfair disadvantage for higher level players

Inventory - Increase inventory size for certain items like themes/clothing

Scoreboard - Add more load-out information of opposing team (Like secondary weapon?)

Sort of critical but even more time consuming for sure - Rework difficult mission objectives/areas

Under discussion (community):

N-TEC 5 - Re-balance

Remote detonator - Remove or re-balance

Bounty system - Re-work (for active missions)

Cevilians - Disable or add 100% piercing during missions

Removing certain types of explosives/explosive weapons from fightclub

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Edited items

Edited by FluttershyI
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, FluttershyI said:

Finished:

N-HVR 762 - Quickswitching nerf

conceit.JPG

Almost all of these have already been done or are being done eventually?

1 minute ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

Almost all of these have already been done or are being done eventually?

Like?

A queue system is critical, sometimes i've spam clicked join for 20 minutes maybe even more. I'm not a fan of the crossdistrict mission thing, would be annoying to load each time you had to play a mission.

I would actually like if the perc didn't stun, even if any other gun than stabbe wouldn't stun. It should only be the stabba guns that can stun, guns like dmr and so can stun...

Bounty definitely needs somekind of rework, getting shot while in a mission is a pain.

Civilian should still be there, it's an obstacle people can use in their own way.

Vip needs a rework or removed, VIP should only be on missions with at least 4x4 players.

I like the idea of being able to watch what secondary weapon people is using and grenades maybe?

Inventory definitely needs a storage buff, need more space for clothing, themes, songs etc. (More capacity for symbols on cars?)

Was happy to see the mini obir "RFP" being nerfed, sadly the ntec didn't get nerfed..

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Kingdom said:

I'm not a fan of the crossdistrict mission thing, would be annoying to load each time you had to play a mission.

the intent is for there to be no loading screens

2 minutes ago, Glaciers said:

the intent is for there to be no loading screens

How would that be possible? If i'm getting matched with someone in another district, one of us has to leave our current district and join the others.

Edited by Kingdom

Just now, BrandonBranderson said:

Can't agree with your proposals for the bounty system or civilians.

I'll remove civilians in that case, you are fully satisfied with the current bounty system though? And why?

Just now, FluttershyI said:

I'll remove civilians in that case, you are fully satisfied with the current bounty system though? And why?

Sorry, didn't get to finish typing and posted before I was done lol.  I like the current bounty system because A) It's one of the few remaining functional pieces of the original APB, and a crucial one at that.  I know I know just because something is from the original game doesn't make it great, but my B) point is that as strange as this may sound, it helps balance missions.  Say someone in your opposition is doing insanely well and there's no chance for you to take them down and you can't call backup for example.  If they're completely dominating then they'll get a bounty and anyone in the district could kill them, thus giving those who had no chance before a quick chance to get in there and finish the objective.  Plus it's just a nice way to get some bonus cash.  If it were removed then that would remove another element of the witnessing system too, which has been neutered over the years as well.

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, FluttershyI said:

Finished:

N-HVR 762 - Quickswitching nerf -  already done.

Premium - Fix cooldown advantages - already being done

Car spawn - Introduction of cooldown timer - already done

More active anti-cheat policy - already done (dont start with the VAC meme)

New GM's and SPCT -  already done

RIOT Gamemode (Not at all as critical) -  just delete it

Confirmed (rework comming soon):

Ammo boxes (usables) - Decrease explosive capacity -  already being done

OCA variants - Re-balance - already being done

NFAS-12 variants - Re-balance - already being done

Showstopper variants - Re-balance - already being done

RFP-9 variants - Re-balance - already being done

Car gameplay (e.g. Pioneer) - Introduce counter / Re-balance > EMP grenade - already being done

Districts - Cue system / crossdistrict matchmaking - already being done

New contacts / increased level cap - already being done

Engine upgrade - already being done

Critical - To do in the future:

Percussion grenades - Remove or reduce damage / Disable stunability - percs are fine, just annoying

Low-Yield Fragmentation Grenade - Re-balance/reduce amount - yolos just need a slight damage nerf

Shields (usables) - Remove or re-balance - not sure on this one

Usables - Increase inventory count to 2147483646, remove all (sending of) usables from/to mailbox - servers will die

Bounty system - Re-work or remove for active missions - not sure on this one

Fix the possibility of recieving 1 v 1 missions - You can't get 1v1 currently. The 1v1 you see are actually 2v2 missions

2 v 2 or and 1 v 1 VIP Missions - Remove or rework the mode to have equal chances - I agree some missions need a rework

Fix ability to call back-up in a 2 v 2 with the same thread - Its not the same threat if you can call backup

Scoreboard - Fix glitch wich causes old opposition to still be showing (It's a shooter, scoreboard has to be funtional) - would be nice, likely fixed in EU

Mission stage timers - Re-balance to equal for enforcers & criminals - Previous point

Mission spawns - Rework spawn distances & in-line of sight (and behind enemy) spawns - could use a bit of adjustment but are mostly fine

Not critical - To do in the future/posted suggestions:

Weapons - Buff/change unpopular/barely used weapons, or revert certain unnecessary nerfs (e.g. Norseman) - already being done

Modifications - Buff/change unpopular/barely used modifications (e.g. Cargo capacity) - already being done

Vehicles - Buff/change unpopular/barely used cars (e.g. Slow/clipping or non-heavy vehicles) - Not all cars need to be balanced. There are meant to be tiers

Modifications - Adjust required minimum levels to remove an unfair disadvantage for higher level players - already being done

Inventory - Increase inventory size for certain items like themes/clothing - Maybe a bit, but not too much

Scoreboard - Add more load-out information of opposing team (Like secondary weapon?) - Is starting to overcrowd the scoreboard but might fit

Sort of critical but even more time consuming for sure - Rework difficult mission objectives/areas - same as previous points

Under discussion (community):

N-TEC 5 - Re-balance - Gun is fine

Remote detonator - Remove or re-balance - just add a proper cooldown

Removing certain types of explosives/explosive weapons from fightclub - why

Cevilians - Disable or add 100% piercing during missions - Na, civs are meant to be soft cover

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Edited items

Edited by NotZombieBiscuit

4 minutes ago, Kingdom said:

How would that be possible? If i'm getting matched with someone in another district, one of us has to leave our current district and join the others.

Phasing is simply our term for seamlessly moving a player between two instances of the same type of district. It allows us to matchmake across instances and then aggregate each side together. In rare cases we may need to spin up a new instance which may be empty for a time till we add more players, but for the most part players will be moved to instances where other missions are taking place.

Phasing can sometimes be confused with Instancing, where players are moved to a unique unpopulated area to play just for their quest/mission/etc. We are NOT implementing Instancing.

I have commented multiple times on this, and the SPCT have also revealed that general loading times in the Engine Upgrade are already drastically faster (even without Phasing).

The Phasing implementation will spin up new server instances for each type of district when we need them. However, these wont be unique, empty districts just for 1 mission like what you see on WoW. That is only necessary for PvE situations.

The whole point of Phasing is to avoid any loading. There may be a transition screen while server-side objects are resynced, but there is no loading of assets on the client, since those are already in memory. Our matchmaking logic chooses a server that is more appropriate for your skill level, and then from there, you shouldn't need to phase at all.

15 minutes ago, Kingdom said:

Edit: Nvm, Glaciers gotcha.

Edited by BrandonBranderson

3 minutes ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

Honestly can't agree 100%. As you can see it's under categories "finished" and "confirmed" for a reason. Of course they are already finished or being worked on. That's the point of this list, trying to create an overview of what's happening and we would like to happen in the future. Also in case of usables it's just very annoying and will absolutely not cause the servers to die, it'll be completely the opposite. It's just a number of 500 wich will have it's cap increased (could be whatever value) and not having the remaining missions rewards (usables) being send to mailboxes would actually save a lot of server space/load. And to me it's frustrating AF atm with hundreds of pages wich I can't remove. I can't even find stuff like themes/weapons etc. anymore since they are lost in between the rediculous amount of mission rewards.

On RIOT I can 100% agree honestly as it wasn't something we wanted and isn't a succes or have it return as a seasonal thing with special rewards or whatever and I'm happy we agree on some missions aspects. You are 100% wrong in the case of backup though. Previous days I have been playing with a friend (we are both gold) and we get opposed to 2 other golds and they are repeatedly able to call backup, I don't know if it's either a bug, because they aren't grouped up and we are of that it's the real 'hidden' threat on wich the calculation is based wich allows them to call backup. Maybe somebody can clarify or knows the exact reason.

10 minutes ago, FluttershyI said:

You are 100% wrong in the case of backup though. Previous days I have been playing with a friend (we are both gold) and we get opposed to 2 other golds and they are repeatedly able to call backup, I don't know if it's either a bug, because they aren't grouped up and we are of that it's the real 'hidden' threat on wich the calculation is based wich allows them to call backup. Maybe somebody can clarify or knows the exact reason.

Because gold is a range of threat. You and your friend could be high gold while they low gold. Therefore they can call backup.

I dont like the idea of nerfing grenades. Irl a grenade will take you out, no follow up gunfire necessary. Nerfing any further just reduces the realism. At most, i would agree with reducing the distance to cause damage. Hitting someone in the face with a perc should not do less damage than it currently does. As far as removing explosives from fightclub, nope. As much as my volcano or opgl pisses people off, i have little to no trouble dealing with others who use them. Its about adjusting your tactics. If its fair game to hide on a roof and snipe, its fair game to blow that person off the roof with a volcano.

Edited by Kylegrey2
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Kylegrey2 said:

I dont like the idea of nerfing grenades. Irl a grenade will take you out, no follow up gunfire necessary. Nerfing any further just reduces the realism. At most, i would agree with reducing the distance to cause damage. Hitting someone in the face with a perc should not do less damage than it currently does. As far as removing explosives from fightclub, nope. As much as my volcano or opgl pisses people off, i have little to no trouble dealing with others who use them. Its about adjusting your tactics. If its fair game to hide on a roof and snipe, its fair game to blow that person off the roof with a volcano.

APB

Realism

????????

4 minutes ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

APB

Realism

????????

Yeah... its not a my little pony game. A reasonable level of realism is expected with shooter games.

Edited by Kylegrey2

18 minutes ago, Kylegrey2 said:

Thanks for your reply, I myself don't think explosives have to be removed either, it's something I added due to reading a thread about it. In case of grenades I sort of agree and don't agree. It wouldn't be that realistic either to nade yourself in case of trowing percs into the ground (or even them just falling after you die) right?

But in terms of gameplay and balancing it just might not be right to have grenades wich do below 99% damage to have a fuse timer of 5 seconds, then grenades with a 3 second timer wich do 57,5% and percs just instantly doing 40% on impact or even when they  just drop to the floor after you have died. Just something I think of now, when you have the EOL Kickback, the grenades explode on impact further away but don't directly explode when you shoot/drop them right in front of you. Something like that might actually balance percs since you can at least run away from grenades wich drop from a dying enemy or give you time to at least move slightly in case the enemy throws from like 2/3 metres away since they would bounce before exploding at least once. Finding the right balance in that might take some time, but wouldn't be too difficult, it could at least have percs stay at 40% damage and funtion exactly the same after a certain amount of metres. - Anybody likes this idea or has a different suggestion? I honestly just came up with it so haven't considered all pros and cons.

Edited by FluttershyI

2 minutes ago, FluttershyI said:

Thanks for your reply, I myself don't think explosives have to be removed either, it's something I added due to reading a thread about it. In case of grenades I sort of agree and don't agree. It wouldn't be that realistic either to nade yourself in case of trowing percs into the ground (or even them just falling after you die) right?

But in terms of gameplay and balancing it just might not be right to have grenades wich do below 99% damage to have a fuse timer of 5 seconds, then grenades with a 3 second timer wich do 57,5% and percs just instantly doing 40% on impact or even when they  just drop to the floor after you have died. Just something I think of now, when you have the EOL Kickback, the grenades explode on impact further away but don't directly explode when you shoot/drop them right in front of you. Something like that might actually balance percs since you can at least run away from grenades wich drop from a dying enemy or give you time to at least move slightly in case the enemy throws from like 2/3 metres away since they would bounce before exploding at least once. Finding the right balance in that might takke some time, but wouldn't be too difficult, it could at least have percs stay at 40% damage. - Anybody likes this idea or has a different suggestion, I honestly just came up with it so haven't considered all pros and cons

Thats actually really interesting. Hard to say wether im on board or not... would have to test those sorts of changes myself to form a solid opinion. Way to think outside the box 🙂

Just now, Kylegrey2 said:

Thats actually really interesting. Hard to say wether im on board or not... would have to test those sorts of changes myself to form a solid opinion. Way to think outside the box 🙂

Certainly it'll have to be tested! I'm also really interested what it would do in terms of different ranges. It might be that only several metres is enough to fix the issues percs are causing (at least I encounter some issues with them)

I cant tell you that its a massive pain when you throw a perc right when a teamate decides to run in front of you. Or when the game lags out and you hit a wall or door frame as a result. I think its a good idea as long as the distance required to explode on impact isnt set too far.

Not a bad list, just some of the things on the list are terrible (i.e. removing perc stunnability). I'm kinda glad someone is laying things out like this but i'd rather you have been general about things rather than specific about rebalances.