CookiePuss

Any chance we could get /report back? Or Gms? Or maybe an update on either?

9 minutes ago, Sergsininia said:
San is Spanish for Saint
As in, San Francisco Saint Francisco
I don't remember what Paro meant.
I wanna say it means "stop". Unless Latin, then I think its "prepare".
But dont quote me on that as neither seem to make sense. Edited by CookiePuss
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CookiePuss said:
I wanna say it means "stop". Unless Latin, then I think its "prepare".
But dont quote me on that as neither seem to make sense.
yzoRPiH.png
These all seem viable translations for the name. 
  • Standstill
  • Shutdown
  • Strike
  • Arrest
  • Strike
  • (stoppage)
Sorry for off topic, I'll stop here.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Lislya said:

Something similar to Overwatch from CS:GO would be great.
So more experienced players have the chance to investigate it as well.

I think it should be a welcome addition.

10 hours ago, Excalibur! said:
No, players need to play not to police. Everyone knew that /report did nothing and it was a frustration flush for some.
What's wrong with players investigating others, and keeping cheaters/hackers from getting far?

/report did nothing, agreed, but this is a chance to make a better system, and a much more effective system.

If "some people just want to watch the world burn", there are ways to prevent innocent players from being banned.
  • Require players to provide descriptive and effective judgments when they submit an "overwatch" case.
  • Only allow players who accurately tag cheaters/hackers.
  • Have a group from support finalize the case, and ensure no foul play is being done by an "overwatcher".
  • Track the accuracy of the reports submitted by players, and track the accuracy of the reports and cases submitted by the overwatchers
  • The system will eventually check itself.

Edited by Sergsininia
Double post
  • Like 1

So it could be either the ‘Saint of unemployment’ or the ‘Saint of tit’.

Both seems good.

13 minutes ago, AsgerLund said:

So it could be either the ‘Saint of unemployment’ or the ‘Saint of tit’.

Both seems good.

I mean there's also:
mOXghPf.png

If you look at one literary work from 1869

"She's a Hungarian , I believe - or else a Russian, or Servian, or something of that sort. De Sancy knew her at Vienna."
"And yet the name is by no means hard or unvocalic," said another
"Madame la Princesse de Paro - that's all."
"That's not a name I heard ; there were z's and gutturals in it. But De Paro - that sounds Italian or Spanish. And how is she a princess?"
"But the name is not Italian and not Spanish. Paro is the name of an island in the Archipelago which used to be called Paros in the old times."

From some magazine from Boston at the time, and appears to be a work of fiction.
Wow... I feel like making a thread dedicated to the history and backstory behind APB ;-;

• Thanks 1

I would really like the new report system to support reporting for things other than cheating.  One thing that's been frustrating lately is I've been in a few games with obvious dethreaters who TK when they're leader and kick anyone who kills them back.  Having a way to alert a GM to take a look at them would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by gothroach

I'd love for them to revamp the report system, make it all shiny.

But there also needs to be a knee-jerk system, just the basic /report [soobviouslyahackername] and then it pops up with a nice cuddly-wuddly message to make us feel better like' 

Thank you and well done [playername]! You're a hero! We have sent your report to the cyberpolice and they will arrive shortly to arrest them and throw them in cyberjail, you didn't lose, they were cheating, shhh it's going to okay. Momma loves you.

That all I really want. 

On 8/1/2018 at 3:56 AM, MattScott said:

The old system was.. useless.

Ye, literally all of us knew that already. :^)

And also, cool, that you guys are working on a rework of it 🙂

On 8/1/2018 at 1:39 AM, MattScott said:

For me a good report system needs to have limits so it cant be spammed, and ways of prioritizing data from players who use it well.

It also needs to provide us with actionable information. We have mountains of server-side data. We just need to get solid player reports to inform where to focus.

Ultimately I dont want any cheat systems in the game that we ignore. That’s why we removed /report for now. I didn’t want the illusion that we were actually getting anything useful from it.

The very first post I re-posted here in the new forums is a very old suggestion I made in these regards, is very sketchy and totally unprofessional since I'm just a player, but if by any means my two cents provides any sort of contribution, it is at least a perspective of a player so let me humbly invite you to take a look if you want:
/suspect and /report system improvements and innovations

Anyways, if there's going to be a priority system, please bear in mind that usually the "newbies" are the favorite victims of some cheaters who believe they can go full blatant on these newbies because nobody is going to hear their hackusations. Also be aware that many cheats in other games allow players to spot "invisible" admins on their radars to toggle off as same that as long as you ban a single cheater smurfing with a dummy cheating account to test how long they take to detect him, the rest of them will be extremely harder to detect since they just set the threshold to avoid being detected, but I think you have a great team who is way beyond anything I could suggest tbh, nevermind lol.

Presence of admins in online games seems to be a lost culture, maybe as a result of the companies managing online communities in a more impersonal way or maybe there are some policies about the staff interacting with the customers that every company is following, I honestly don't know, but here on APB the case was extremely secretive to the point where GMs where just a myth.

I think is plenty of examples of games where you can't have any online moderation, no live report system and not even able to browse a comprehensive list of servers and available players with ping and stat values to pick the better technical conditions and social environment to interact with people you like without issues.

Back in the days when I started playing online games, the admins where part of us, everyone respected them and they were friendly and accessible with everyone around without need to hide unless it was to spectate or do any other tasks related with their duties that required to go undercover of course.

On 8/1/2018 at 3:13 PM, Sergsininia said:
San is Spanish for Saint
As in, San Francisco Saint Francisco
I don't remember what Paro meant.

On 8/1/2018 at 10:27 AM, koenyboy500 said:

(also, pretty certain that San Paro is a wordplay for Sin Paradise. Description says that San Paro is some kind of Olympus. No idea what that would mean though. Probably some Deathmatch Battlegrounds)

It is in Spanish and could be translated as "Saint Stop" but although the literal translation of the word "Paro" is "Stop", actually in Spain only, and not in the rest of the Hispanic countries in America, "paro" is used to refer to when you are unemployed, as you guys already found in the dictionaries, while in South America "paro" is used to refer to when workers go on a strike.

I'm leaned to think this case should be considered the way they use the word in Spain.

Isn't something about unemployment and stuff like that leading the city to crime and chaos mentioned in the lore somewhere?

• Thanks 1