Sign in to follow this  
CommandantSteele

FAR Spearhead: Mods and tactics?

I've looked across the internet, but nobody seems to really know what to do with this thing. What mods does this weapon work well with and what's the usual tactic employed to get 'em dead?

It's one of my favorite weapons to fallback on because its balance is aligned perfectly between the spotless STAR and the always controversial N-TEC.

No one knows what to do with it because they:

1. Don't understand the perfect balance the STAR provides.
  2. Really need the forgiving nature that the N-TEC provides against everything - aka the sweaty meta.
  3. Outside unlocking it during the annual Christmas Event or getting a Permanent version on ARMAs, it's not in the Joker Store or available via contact progression.

Think of it this way:

• It's right between a STAR and an N-TEC. Or...If those two had a baby, it will be the FAR.
  • It might beat the STAR in close quarters.
  • It might beat the N-TEC at mid-range.
  • Its sweet spot is right in the middle of close-to-middle range (10m-40m).
  • It's not super blessed by RNG like the STAR close.
  • It's not super forgiving and hand-holding like the N-TEC at range.
  • It can compete at high-skill levels.
  • While getting beat by a STAR can embarrass players (no one respects it's perfection) and getting beat by an N-TEC will mostly likely cause you to die of boredom...getting beat by a FAR will make you go "I clearly got outplayed, well done."

Much like the STAR, you don't actually need mods in it.

• Mag Pull 3 and Three-Point Sling 3 are safe options all around - Plenty of ammo to secure 2-3 kills in it's ideal range, increased equip time has no downside.
  • Cooling Jacket 3 - If you want a little more edge in close quarters. I'd recommend getting used to stock FAR first, so you know what to expect when you spray and not.
  • Hunting Sight 1 - If you want a little more edge to mid-range.
  • Mobility Sling - Does hurt the equip time, but makes Marksmanship Strafing way easier (if that's your playstyle)

There is really no benefit in:

• ...going beyond Hunting Sight 1 - FAR already has a tight bloom. 2 and 3 just leaves you vulnerable in close-range.
  • ...using Improved Rifling - Again, much like the STAR--it's not going to outperform compared to the N-TEC past mid-range and will just hurt your reticle bloom at all ranges. However, with the recent changes to Improved Rifling (IR), IR makes the gun more manageable for ranges at the expense of fire-rate. Not very beneficial in comparison, but not too bad either...Again, FAR really is right between the STAR and N-TEC.
  • ...using Heavy Barrel - FAR doesn't do much damage per shot as is (so don't lower it further), FAR is naturally accurate in the close-to-mid range.

Source: All my alts have been leveling Rifleman with the FAR (if not the STAR against newish players)--literal hundreds of hours with it. I don't think I've ever wanted to touch an N-TEC since like 2014/2015--when it was introduced and thanks to @gogol .

Edited by LUST
IR changes Aug 2018
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 12

@LUST Now this is some really nice information. Thanks.

What's the typical method of fire employed at range? I figure it's treated like the N-TEC and you just tapfire, and then you can just kinda slightly full auto at close range like with the STAR. Anything in particular I should know?

8 hours ago, Freewind said:

What's the typical method of fire employed at range? I figure it's treated like the N-TEC and you just tapfire, and then you can just kinda slightly full auto at close range like with the STAR. Anything in particular I should know?

Firing in bursts of 2 or even 3 can be a powerful alternative to tapfiring at medium range, especially with Cooling Jacket equipped. Usually, targets with cover who peek a FAR don't feel very threatened by its burst damage, so they may stay out of cover long enough to take a burst of multiple shots.

Of course, when hipfiring and running full auto is the only option, if that's too inaccurate it's simply not worth hipfiring in the first place. 

Usually when I play this weapon, I run Mobility Sling/Cooling Jacket 2/Magazine Pull 3. 

Another positive quality of the FAR/STAR is that they cover every distance up until their maximum range really well, which means that when I use the FAR, I hardly ever have to use my secondary. This makes it a good weapon to equip "specialty" secondaries such as a firework launcher, LTL gun or even a SNR as a finisher. 

Otherwise, @LUST summed up what this weapon is about really well. 

Edited by Lyfeld
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, LUST said:

There is really no benefit in:

• ...going beyond Hunting Sight 1 - FAR already has a tight bloom. 2 and 3 just leaves you vulnerable in close-range.
  • ...using Improved Rifling - Again, much like the STAR--it's not going to outperform compared to the N-TEC past mid-range and will just hurt your reticle bloom at all ranges.
  • ...using Heavy Barrel - FAR doesn't do much damage per shot as is (so don't lower it further), FAR is naturally accurate in the close-to-mid range.

I agree with these points aside from the IR point.

I personally recommend using IR3/MS/ a third mod of your choosing on this gun - I find that no other red mod lets you play as reliably as IR3 does in this gun and the max-bloom is already low. You should be tap or burst firing this gun anyway so I find running IR3 is basically a straight upgrade, it also doesn't make your gun harder to manage like CJ does.

Of course if you are running it in financial CJ may be viable, but stick to CJ2. Even then I'd say the slightly lessened TTK isnt worth it.

I tend to run IR3/MS/BA3 as the ammo count runs out quite quickly.

you must consider the fact that far is an assult riffle and as such it would be wise to use applicable mods such as: hunting  sight, improved rifling and 3 point sling 3 or mob sling. those are ussualy the mods i play this weapon with combined with a steady tap fire in long range or spray in really close range

FAR is so good on it's own that seriously you don't need any additional mods.

FAR is basically a slightly buffed star with less ammo per mag.

The only differences between the two are:

TTK- (.75 for star vs .70 for FAR) this is due to the difference in fire interval (.15 for the STAR vs .12 for the FAR)

reload time- (2.80 for the STAR vs 2.20 for the FAR)

shot modifier cap- (1.35 for the STAR vs 1.45 for the FAR)

magazine capacity- (32 for the STAR vs 24 for the FAR)

marksman modifier- (.50 for the STAR vs .45 for the FAR)

As far as how to mod the FAR this is going to be mostly up to personal preference. Like the STAR the gun performs well without any mods. I personally run HS3 and Mob Sling only on mine, as for me red mods are more trouble than they are worth. Though I know players who use everything from Reflex sight with cooling jacket to hunting sight with improved rifling. You've really got to put in the time to see what works for you, its not a one size fits all weapon.

People will talk a lot about how "the FAR will never beat the n-tec" but as any half way decent player will tell you, winning in APB is more about positioning and prediction than anything. If you are constantly engaging in fair fights where gun stats are solely determining the outcome, you are not playing the game correctly. Play smart, and the FAR can compete with anything.

• Like 1